New England's underrated Opportunistic Defense

niveky

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":35wd8cxv said:
One thing to note about the Pats D is it is pretty dang good against the Run, And after facing Flacco and Manning , I personally don't see Wilson lighting the Secondary up. One because your O be run run and run some more... I do expect see a few fumbles though and perhaps an INT or two.. Pats been scary good at this so far this year.

As for your D, if BRADY is the X factor, thats a rather dangerous X Factor. I mean a 1st ballot HOFer is the guy you hope doesnt beat you? I think the TRUE X Factor be the Pats O line v Hawks D line. Brady gets some time Pats win, if Hawks have constant pressure a much closer game and perhaps a pats loss.

The reason I didn't put the O-line is because whether or not the o-line plays well or badly, Brady will be where the play has the final chance to succeed. Brady has had an awesome career and continues to play well for the most part, but when he is faced with a truly great defense..it has been shown that his offenses can be contained enough for the other team to get the win. If the pressure from the Hawks D gets to Brady I feel confident that the Hawks are going to come out of a hard fought game the victors..but even with pressure and even with bad o-line play. Brady, being one of the greats could still get his passes through in the narrowest of windows and find a way to get those completions even if the d is playing lights out..if this happens and he gets enough of them going..that is going to get that pendulum swinging in the Pats favor.

glasgow seahawks

Reaction score
Yea this game is going to come down to how much pressure and disruption we can get on Brady. We are stout v the run, great out wide, on Sunday we will have challnges to our backers in coverage on welker, gronk and possibly Hernandez. We cant be playing soft zones here and giving one of the best QB's ever time to pick a pass as he will pick us apart.

Brady and Bellacheck have seen and done it all, and been to every ground in the league and done the business, and I dont think the CLink will phase them to be honest. It culd have an impact in charging up our players though, and some issues for the pats with hearing calls and audibles as it does for most teams.

All in all it will be a tall task for the hawks v this offence, but we definitley have one of the best d's to be able to do this

As for the ratings on the offences, id suggest the packers, cowboys and Panthers, regardless of current rankings, all have very explosive and dangerous offences and we done excellent v them all. The packers offence is quite similar to the pats and they also hve a brady clone in rodgers. My worry is the adjustments made by the pack 2nd half allowed them to dink and dunk all the way up the field, I forsee the pats doing this for large chunks of the game, thats if we dont get pressure up the middle to disrupt it....A real chess match on the cards

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Scotte,

PLEASE PLEASE Show that Bandit set.. I have seen more teams try THAT tactic to stop the Pats on O. so them do it in DENVER,BUFFALO, TITANS,and Ravens.. and the Pats ran all over them a secondary guy does not like being hit by a TE and the Pats have very good bloacking WR.. That set is golden for 10-15 yard runs almost every time!

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
glasgow seahawks":f2rcl4ui said:
Yea
As for the ratings on the offences, id suggest the packers, cowboys and Panthers, regarding of current rankings, all have very explosive and dangerous offences and we done excellent v them all. The packers offence is quite similar to the pats. My worry is the adjustments made by the pack 2nd half allowed them to dink and dunk all the way up the field, I forsee the pats doing this for large chunks of the game, if we dont get pressure up the middle to disrupt it....A real chess amtch on the cards

The Packers usually have a great O, but it is NOT like the Pats. Pats is much more underneath and TE heavy where the Pack is more WR and stretch the field type team. Both very good but very different in ways going about things.

Aothe thing NE has that the pack hasnt had is a running game. Even if not effective your D will have to respect it as it can break long runs at any moment.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":8fehmr4r said:
Scotte,

PLEASE PLEASE Show that Bandit set.. I have seen more teams try THAT tactic to stop the Pats on O. so them do it in DENVER,BUFFALO, TITANS,and Ravens.. and the Pats ran all over them a secondary guy does not like being hit by a TE and the Pats have very good bloacking WR.. That set is golden for 10-15 yard runs almost every time!
Whatever helps you sleep at night. The Seahawks are not your average backfield of midgets.

mikeak

Reaction score
Personally I am hoping that Bellicheck is so pissed at Welker for his comment the other night that he benches him for the game. The quick plays to Welker are what scares me the most. It is the type of plays that GB executed in the second half that could burn us big in this game. I do hope by getting enough pressure on Brady and jamming at the line we can do some damage but that is my concern for defense.

Like others have said the big thing on offense is that the opposing defense will do a lot of shifting and weird looks. They may have a very conventional play but they will make it look like something completely new / strange to cause the interceptions.

Should be a good game - need the running game to get going to open up the play action pass...... also need a few less first and goal run, second and goal run, penalty, third and goal pass......... then kick fg from the 3 yard line instead of going for it and stopping them a la GB game

sam1313

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":20jwe223 said:
NYCoug,

~~sigh~~ Yes because the seahawks front 4 are scarier than Suggs and the Ravens front 4 from years past or your LBers scarier thanRay Lewis and your safeties and cb scarier than Reed and Co.. Sigh... Brady will get sacked but he will also put points on the Board. the Hawks O needs score roughly 24 points to win MINIMUM.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that we may need to put up 24 points to win (although some of that could come from defense/special teams).

That said, yes our front four are scarier, yes our LBs are scarier, and yes our CBs are scarier. Don't believe me? Ask Romo, Rodgers, Newton, Bradford, or Skelton . Still don't believe me? Fine. I hope your players don't either because the shock will cause almost as many problems as the ass whooping itself.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":2n5tsdhy said:
a secondary guy does not like being hit by a TE

I no longer actively participate on this forum, but for this one I have to come out of the woodwork.

Seattle's secondary not only likes hitting TEs, they will actively seek out the contact. They are a big, physical group who thrive on contact and getting inside people's heads.

Maybe your secondary guys don't like being hit, but our guys will do it all day long and get the better of the hitting in most cases.

Don't let the ability and quickness of this defense fool you into thinking they are not physical. They are the most physical secondary in the NFL.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The Pats clearly have a good team year in and year out. The Hawks, unfortunately, have a different history. Yes the Pats have a great offense (#1) and the Hawks have a great defense (#4). Conversely the Pats D isn't all that great (#24) and the Hawks O isn't either (#25). It would appear to be an even match up with the Hawks having the 12th Man in their pocket.

Looking a little closer at who the Pats have played compared with the Hawks may take a little luster off the Pats ranking. The Pats numbers are a little skewed by a couple of games against a bad Titans team and a bad Bills team. Not to mention that Buffalo, Tennessee and Denver are in the bottom 10 teams in rush defense. Seattle has faced only 1 team in the bottom 10 (Carolina). The Pats have also faced 3 teams in the bottom 10 for passing D as well (Buff, Tenn, Balt). Seattle has yet to face any in the bottom 10 until this weekend when the Pats come to town.

Should be interesting.

BTW the vaunted Baltimore D of yesteryear is #26 in total team defense.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":wj6tn67i said:
Seattle's secondary not only likes hitting TEs, they will actively seek out the contact. They are a big, physical group who thrive on contact and getting inside people's heads.

To your point we have the biggest secondary in the NFL. Our backs like to hit TE's because they're the same size.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
This Defense made Whitten, Smith and others drop passes due to him hearing footsteps. We are physical and by halftime, the offenses get tired of getting hit.

Seahawk fans see the Patriots all of the time on primetime and sportscenter. The Hawks don't even warrant a short clip on NFL Primetime so you probably underestimate our Defense. We know that our Defense can stop that Patriot offense. The real question is: Can the Patriots defense stop our less-than-pedestrian passing offense? Your secondary is very sketchy and I believe Wilson will be up for the task. Hawks win 24-14 if we can get out of our own way (drive killing penalties).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":30aip781 said:
PatsFanNH":30aip781 said:

I no longer actively participate on this forum, but for this one I have to come out of the woodwork.

Maybe your secondary guys don't like being hit, but our guys will do it all day long and get the better of the hitting in most cases.

Don't let the ability and quickness of this defense fool you into thinking they are not physical. They are the most physical secondary in the NFL.
Just post the gif of Kam rag dolling Todd Heap. It is educational.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You have to realize, PatsfanNH, our Bandit package includes a 6'3" 240 lb safety than can run, a 6'3" CB, a 6'4" 230 lb CB who can run, a FS that will light people up and has the best range in the league, and a host of LBers that can stay with a Gronk (Wagner could hang with Hernandez), and are decent to good in coverage.

Here's the fun part: they play the run very, very well. I also realize Bruce Irvin sometimes gets upfield too fast, but running screens to his side is not always effective since he has 4.4 speed for a DE and can run down RBs by the time they get back to the LOS.

We have the personnel to mitigate your offense, and our crowd will make no huddle more difficult. The problem as I see it is your coaches make better in game adjustments than our coaches, and our offense is really pretty poor. Good luck thinking you can just erase our running game though....people have tried this year knowing we have no passing game and still couldn't stop it. Oh, and by the way, our #3 ranking in rushing is after facing two top 10 defenses.

Snohomie

Reaction score
If only the NE coaches knew as little about our defense as their fans. I thought the secret about this team was out.

What's funny is that I am not too confident right now about the overall game - our offense could very easily struggle even against their defense. Sort of a very-light-object vs very-little-force sort of situation, and their defense is probably better.

But our defense is every bit as legit as their offense. We have no weaknesses and we're healthy (although Carroll's teams have shown a great ability to shake off injuries with great depth). Brady steps up in the pocket? One of our edge rushers (that'd be our rookie, Bruce Irvin, with 4.5 sacks playing half the snaps) has flashed a good inside counter move, and he's so fast that he gets there in a hurry. Our big guys have been getting good push since the Arizona game, too. Ridley is having a killer year, but we're a big, nasty defense that has 11 players who are good vs the run. Our secondary is huge, physical, and they excel at playing the ball in the air. We don't have many blown assignments, although we are prone to PI/DH calls. I think your pace presents some problems, because we tend to rotate frequently and it's possible to catch us with just one pass-rusher on the field, or with too many to handle the run. We'll need a good gameplan from the coaching staff to handle that.

Oh, I almost forgot. This place is loud. Your line will get slower jumps off the snap, and more false starts happen at the CLink than anywhere else (and, remember, our defense was not intimidating until 2011... we've been leading the league in false starts for years).

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I realize the PATS are a good offense, but let's not be crazy. Against Denver the PAT rushed for 225+ yards and Brady passed for 223 yards and they scored 31 points. What makes PATs fan certain they will hang 24-31 points on Seattle. Seattle hasn't allowed more than 20 points this whole season, against some very explosive teams in DAL, GB, CAR.

The fact is Denver is a weak rush defensive team. Seattle is suffocating against the run allowing a mere 66.6 yards a game. We know Brady likes to dink and dunk. He's ALWAYS liked to dink and dunk. The PATS are just amazing at converting 3rd down. Seattle up until last week was weak on 3rd down. If Seattle reverts back to how it played against DALLAS and GB than the PATS will have some long drives. If they play like they did last week allowing on 18% conversions on 3rd down than the uptempo stuff will be irrelevant. It only means something if you can sustain a drive. That will be the challenge for Seattle, no doubt about it.

I just watched the Denver/ PATS game on Game Rewind and was amazed that at least 2 times Brady got spooked by pressure that wasn't there. Has he been doing that in any other game? One of the biggest plays in that game was a 3rd and 17 and the PATS ran the ball and Woodhead got the first down and ultimately ended in a TD. Unbeleiveable. DW knows how to squirt through and make first downs, He reminds me alot of Kevin Faulk a guy I HATED because he always managed to catch a pass or run for just 1 yard more than needed for a first down. 3rd down defense will be paramount. Also I beleive that Mebane and Jones will be huge factors in this game, if they can push the pocket and collapse it I think it will make Brady nervous and will get him out of his confort zone.

I'm very excited for this game and expect to see some CLINK magic. I could see Seattle winning 23-20, Or I could see the PATS winning 24-17. Turnovers will be critical. Hopefully Seattle can get some scores assisted by the defense or special teams that will really help.

PATSFANinWA

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1ha67zis said:
PatsFanNH":1ha67zis said:

Denver was 9th vs the run before last week. Try again.

EDIT: Accidentally quoted the wrong person. My B.

PATSFANinWA

Reaction score
Snohomie":z8g2yzh5 said:
I realize the PATS are a good offense, but let's not be crazy. Against Denver the PAT rushed for 225+ yards and Brady passed for 223 yards and they scored 31 points. What makes PATs fan certain they will hang 24-31 points on Seattle. Seattle hasn't allowed more than 20 points this whole season, against some very explosive teams in DAL, GB, CAR.

The fact is Denver is a weak rush defensive team. Seattle is suffocating against the run allowing a mere 66.6 yards a game. We know Brady likes to dink and dunk. He's ALWAYS liked to dink and dunk. The PATS are just amazing at converting 3rd down. Seattle up until last week was weak on 3rd down. If Seattle reverts back to how it played against DALLAS and GB than the PATS will have some long drives. If they play like they did last week allowing on 18% conversions on 3rd down than the uptempo stuff will be irrelevant. It only means something if you can sustain a drive. That will be the challenge for Seattle, no doubt about it.

I just watched the Denver/ PATS game on Game Rewind and was amazed that at least 2 times Brady got spooked by pressure that wasn't there. Has he been doing that in any other game? One of the biggest plays in that game was a 3rd and 17 and the PATS ran the ball and Woodhead got the first down and ultimately ended in a TD. Unbeleiveable. DW knows how to squirt through and make first downs, He reminds me alot of Kevin Faulk a guy I HATED because he always managed to catch a pass or run for just 1 yard more than needed for a first down. 3rd down defense will be paramount. Also I beleive that Mebane and Jones will be huge factors in this game, if they can push the pocket and collapse it I think it will make Brady nervous and will get him out of his confort zone.

I'm very excited for this game and expect to see some CLINK magic. I could see Seattle winning 23-20, Or I could see the PATS winning 24-17. Turnovers will be critical. Hopefully Seattle can get some scores assisted by the defense or special teams that will really help..

Yes the cowboys offense is so explosive they average 16 points a game. Good for 30th in the NFL. Take away the seahawks game and they go up to 19 PPG. Still good enough to be bottom 10 in the league.

drdiags

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2qncde66 said:
I just watched the Denver/ PATS game on Game Rewind and was amazed that at least 2 times Brady got spooked by pressure that wasn't there. Has he been doing that in any other game? .

Saw this as well. He did this a couple of times in earlier games. Was going to ask Pats fans the same thing, then I figured even the great ones get tired of getting pounded after a decade. Saw Rodgers doing the same thing in the Colts game so I just chalk it up to even the best are human.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
drdiags,

exactly, and in the denver Game when that happened in the 4th qrtr I believe the O was getting tired.. they ran over 95 OFFENSIVE plays against Denver. was so bad our Oline got exhausted from the tempo. (reason they got 2 sacks in the 4th qrtr we had subs in there.)

I think Brady FELT pressure that was further away than he thought it was.. I rather he react to nothing than be crushed or drag down by his shirt by standing still.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
jlwaters,

as you guys like to say the O doesnt have to do all the scoring. As you MAY or may not know the Pats are one of the leading teams in TakeAways. I think EVERY game this year they have had at least 2 takeaways leading to short fields or directly to a TD.

So if they get their AVERAGE TO this week (which is roughly 3 it is 2.8) say brady & Co only score 1TD and 2 FG off those.. thats 13 points right there.. do you think your D can stop the Pats driving all game from making at least 1 more TD for 20 points? I see the O getting at lest 14 points on their own so that make 27... now subtract 3 for say a MISSED FG and there is 24 points.