New England's underrated Opportunistic Defense

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Niveky,

My post you quoted should have said (In their Primes WHEN bRADY & cO. WERE FACING THEM.) MY point was simple your D is NOT scarier than the ELITE D of Baltimore in the 2000's may be equal (we will see) but not scarier.

The seahawk fans may get to see an offensive showing they have never seen before as well and one that will continue for a few more years still...

And one you have NOT seen before or probably again this year!

niveky

Reaction score
NYCoug":1n8kfln4 said:
niveky":1n8kfln4 said:
PatsFanNH":1n8kfln4 said:
NYCoug,

~~sigh~~ Yes because the seahawks front 4 are scarier than Suggs and the Ravens front 4 from years past or your LBers scarier thanRay Lewis and your safeties and cb scarier than Reed and Co.. Sigh... Brady will get sacked but he will also put points on the Board. the Hawks O needs score roughly 24 points to win MINIMUM.

no matter who wins or loses....this being a game against one of the NFL media darlings in the Pats....you and anyone else who had similar thoughts to this or basically just brushing aside this Hawks defense due to various factors such as unfamiliarity/comparison to KNOWN big names from other teams/just plain ignorance are going to be on notice for the rest of the year for what this defense truly brings to the table and the fire and intensity with which they are going to lay into opposing offenses all season long...and hopefully many more to come.

Well said. Not to mention the fire and intensity that the 12th Man are going to bring to the table. It'll be unlike anything the Patriots have seen or will see this year, you can count on that.

Also niveky, you've got the greatest avator EVER! I love that thing, hilarious!

I can't wait...very nervous obout this game but when you have an elite defense and good special teams that can be a nice equalizer. also when there is an offense that is slowly coming along like this and you see some great signs of progress like last week....even though i'm as nervous as anyone about the offense laying an egg...i'm also optimistic that the coaching staff is going to put Wilson in position to really succeed this week as they open up more of the offense for him.

Yeah...I am kinda partial to the avatar as well.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Peach,

I expect the 12th man be a factor as long as the game is within 7 points if the Pats get up by 14.. I am guessing like most fans you get quiet... But we will see IF Brady gets protected well it could be a very long day for the Hawks.

NYCoug

Reaction score
See, I live on the East Coast, PatsFanNH. New Hampshire is a beautiful place and extremely underrated by the way, unlike any part of your team.

Some of my friends are annoying Patriots fans so, unlike most Patriots fans that probably haven't watched a single minute of Seahawks football outside of the Golden Tate play, I'm forced to watch the Pats on a weekly basis. I saw you guys thrash the Bills in the second half, I saw the hurting you put on Denver.

The reverse side of the equation is that I've seen you guys lose to the Jets, at home, in the playoffs. A team led by Mark Sanchez. And I've also seen you guys lose to the Arizona Cardinals, this year. I'd chill out with the air of invinsibility talk haha

niveky

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3e9cboml said:
Niveky,

My post you quoted should have said (In their Primes WHEN bRADY & cO. WERE FACING THEM.) MY point was simple your D is NOT scarier than the ELITE D of Baltimore in the 2000's may be equal (we will see) but not scarier.

The seahawk fans may get to see an offensive showing they have never seen before as well and one that will continue for a few more years still...

And one you have NOT seen before or probably again this year!

Well, despite the Patriots newly evolving wrinkle this season and actually running the ball down teams throats when they go after the passing attack working on other defenses...it may not work quite so well on this Seahawks defense. As many have posted on other threads...the Hawks D has had a lot of its success running out of its base package. With the large/physical and athletic corners in the backfield..the rangy lb's with a great combination of speed and power...a very dominant front 4 of their own...not even mentioning the excellent subs they have coming in and wreaking havoc as well, and also the general manuevering of d-linemen in different positions. The front 7 and the back end of this defense are all playing very, very well. I have heard that speed off the edge has been a bit of a problem for the Patriots or one weakness that hasn't been properly tested to this point...the Hawks D has speed of the edge in spades..not to mention big bodies on the interior that can push some bodies around. As far as this new found running attack....they are getting teams without the necessary personel to defend the run in base and/or nickel packages. Our base defense features d-linemen that are very good at plugging up holes in the run and if teams go pass on this base defense the lb's and corners are still usually able to be physical enough to disrupt the flow of offenses. As for the TE play of NE..the secondary has the size and closing ability that most other teams don't have at all positions back there to even disrupt that portion of the NE passing attack as well. This game is going to be a real chess match.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't forget the other great equalizer coming Sunday:

Seattle rain

JustTheTip

Reaction score
NYCoug":37ave2qd said:
Oh I'm sure Brady will get his. He'll also do his NORMAL complaining to the refs whenever a Seahawk so much looks at him funny. You best believe that guys like Browner and Clemons are licking their chops. This defense plays with a TON of confidence. About the same level of confidence the Patriots offense operates with. They will not second guess themselves or have any fear. I wonder if you'll be able to say the same about your skill players and Mr. Brady after Kam Chancellor plants em in to the CLink turf a few times. Alligator arms? The "Witten's" if you will? :twisted:

Would be nice if we could get a nice "Where's your skirt" chant going every time opposing QB's do that.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
EDGE rushers USUALLY dont bother Brady he just steps up in the pocket buys another second and boom... Now up the middle Pressure like any QB is hard for him to handle esp since he isnt a scrambling QB.

Now as for the Loss to AZ, ANYONE hanging their hat on that game is crazy, as the Pats played as POORLY as they could have on O and still almost pulled out a W. (and should have if McDaniels had decided RUN the ball closer :p dang FG kicker

niveky

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":8rczl8mh said:
EDGE rushers USUALLY dont bother Brady he just steps up in the pocket buys another second and boom... Now up the middle Pressure like any QB is hard for him to handle esp since he isnt a scrambling QB.

Now as for the Loss to AZ, ANYONE hanging their hat on that game is crazy, as the Pats played as POORLY as they could have on O and still almost pulled out a W. (and should have if McDaniels had decided RUN the ball closer :p dang FG kicker

The Hawks D-tackles are pretty good about getting inside push. Mebane has always been very disruptive but has had noone on the opposite side to help him push through. With Branch and Jones in there they have been collapsing things pretty well from the inside....if the Pats are unable to keep this from happening Brady isn't going to have much of anywhere to go when those edge rushers come in.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Niveky,

IMO key to the game is give Brady no more than 3-4 seconds to deliver the ball even that may be to much time... I expect a lot of shotgun quick hits over the middle to Welker,Gronk and hernandez. To disrupt your pass rush with an occasional draw up the middle.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Peach,

We will see my friend should be fun the best O vs the Best D... Toughest test for BOTH so far this yr by a long shot...

niveky

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":sr0wvvdf said:
Niveky,

IMO key to the game is give Brady no more than 3-4 seconds to deliver the ball even that may be to much time... I expect a lot of shotgun quick hits over the middle to Welker,Gronk and hernandez. To disrupt your pass rush with an occasional draw up the middle.

another part of the chess match because even in shot gun..the Hawks corners are very good at press and if they can be their normal, disruptive selves right at the line of scrimmage that may not be enough time to get it to anyone and if that happens then they may be able to dink and dunk a bit and barely avoid pressure...another thing to consider is that this Hawks d has been very good at just flat out swatting balls or getting hands on balls when they are thrown all year long so far. If that trend continues...coupled with how well the hawks use press coverage and how well the db's are able to disrupt the timing of the Pats passing game....it could still be a long game if they try that route....

I am really excited for this game because there is going to be so much back and forth strategizing, especially in this aspect of the game..the hawks d vs the pats o...i am really sad that i'll only be able to catch bits and pieces on siriusxm while at work sunday...i am pretty confident that it will be an nfl replay worthy game so thank god for dvr's if it is.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Niveky,

I apology I dont know the seahawks all that well in your BASE D wouldnt a LBer be covering Gronk and hernandez? Also who would line up on welker, I have heard HERE that short 5-10 yrd passes over the middle your weakness...and well thats Welkers sweet spot and even Revis has NEVER fully shut him down (5 for 57 yrds 1 TD was the worst against revis)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":37y7gz5i said:
PatsFanNH":37y7gz5i said:
Peach,

I expect the 12th man be a factor as long as the game is within 7 points if the Pats get up by 14.. I am guessing like most fans you get quiet... But we will see IF Brady gets protected well it could be a very long day for the Hawks.

INCORRECT.
yeah, you beat me to it. Fans who've never been here don't understand. I can count on one hand the times I've heard it quiet in the Clink and you have to consider all the bad teams we've put on the field and STILL they keep roaring. If the Pats get up by 24+, THEN the crowd might quiet down...until the Hawks score and then the fans will sense a comeback and get all fired up again. Heck, even a good punt return by Leon and we'll get all fired up again.

People just don't understand how loud it gets and how important to the whole experience of going to a Seahawks game the act of screaming when the opposing team comes to the line is to us. I DVR'd the Packers game. The noise coming over the TV set was incredible. Last week, listening to other games all weekend, I was struck by how quiet it was by comparison. Even when the home team fans were screaming their heads off, it was so muted on the TV. Not in Seattle. It ROARS. I've heard the noise from Bellevue. That's pretty amazing. That's nowhere near the stadium on the other side of Lake Washington with hills between them and the stadium.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
peach,

then kudos to Hawk fans most crowds you "figurtively" punch the team in the nose with 2 quick scores and it is like a church all of a sudden... I am sure you know what I mean.

niveky

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":213fupyr said:
Niveky,

I apology I dont know the seahawks all that well in your BASE D wouldnt a LBer be covering Gronk and hernandez? Also who would line up on welker, I have heard HERE that short 5-10 yrd passes over the middle your weakness...and well thats Welkers sweet spot and even Revis has NEVER fully shut him down (5 for 57 yrds 1 TD was the worst against revis)

Even if an LB is on the TE, this d has a knack for swarming to wherever the ball ends up and limiting big plays. Earl Thomas has outstanding range and even though he is a rookie, Wagner has shown to be able to close quickly in space AND make the tackle he needs to. I believe that he has 4.4 speed and it does translate in game. I think that Wright is the other Nickel LB and he has been playing very well even as a rookie last year. The Pats will probably catch Wagner out of position a bit, but maybe not....but he definately has the closing speed to make sure it doesn't result in a total breakdown in most cases.

In all of my posts I am not implying that The Hawks are just going to wipe the floor with the pats, or that they will completely dominate the pats o....if that were to happen though, I would only be mildly surprised though. I admit that it is a tall order and while the Hawks may have a bit of a weakness against the short passing game, the run game that the pats have found i am pretty confident will be squelched on sunday. I really feel that the Hawks d does have the ability to force the pats to be one dimensional and against about any other team I would have little doubt about the end result of being able to do that. Tom Brady will be the ultimate x factor for the pats this sunday. If he is able to get in a rythme(and I don't think big plays will be there very much) he could do just enough to get the Pats the win. The big X-factor for the Hawks will be the Offense. If Russell Wilson progresses beyond what he did last week I believe that the Hawks can actually win handily. If he plays as well as he did last week I feel the hawks can squeak out a win...if he plays like he did earlier in the season I will be wanting to pull my hair out all afternoon most likely but still not give out hope until the very end because I still feel like it could be close. I don't think that the Pats will be able to contain Lynch. If they focus on the run game they may stifle it in spots but there will still be some runs that beastmode will find a way to punish the Pats D. If the hawks get their run game going well. All of us hawks fans may not really care that there is nothing to talk about with Wilson's performance(and by this I also mean not having any mistakes that will be ridden to death on here) if that happens.

I am really sad I will not be able to catch this game.......I hope it is a great game with no major injuries on either side and may the best team win(the hawks :p).

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
One thing to note about the Pats D is it is pretty dang good against the Run, And after facing Flacco and Manning , I personally don't see Wilson lighting the Secondary up. One because your O be run run and run some more... I do expect see a few fumbles though and perhaps an INT or two.. Pats been scary good at this so far this year.

As for your D, if BRADY is the X factor, thats a rather dangerous X Factor. I mean a 1st ballot HOFer is the guy you hope doesnt beat you? I think the TRUE X Factor be the Pats O line v Hawks D line. Brady gets some time Pats win, if Hawks have constant pressure a much closer game and perhaps a pats loss.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bill's specialty is taking away the offense's best weapon. For us, that is Marshawn. However, that has been the strategy for all 5 teams that have played the Hawks, and none of them have taken him out of the game plan completely.

It's almost a rule, we do not win games where we give up more than 19 points. Now, to New England fans, that sounds like an easy number. Seeing as we have given precisely ZERO touchdowns in our last two road games, I reasonably confident we can do a respectable job of limiting that offense here at home where our defense rages.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Scott,

Now look at the OFFENSE you faced the last three in order were 21st,29th,21st. AND you have not faced one better than 16th and pleasse thats a ROMO led team that guys a sanchez clone.

As for no team has done that yet to Lynch, I heard the same about Spiller from Bills fans ("the top running back in the league".. "has more yards per carry than anyone else" yada yada.) Fact is this is a QB league now and to constantly win you need your QB to step up.. question is will Wilson step up on Sunday when Lynch is limited to open things up for your RB?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":2ohdy1iz said:
One thing to note about the Pats D is it is pretty dang good against the Run, And after facing Flacco and Manning , I personally don't see Wilson lighting the Secondary up. One because your O be run run and run some more... I do expect see a few fumbles though and perhaps an INT or two.. Pats been scary good at this so far this year.

As for your D, if BRADY is the X factor, thats a rather dangerous X Factor. I mean a 1st ballot HOFer is the guy you hope doesnt beat you? I think the TRUE X Factor be the Pats O line v Hawks D line. Brady gets some time Pats win, if Hawks have constant pressure a much closer game and perhaps a pats loss.
You summed up the game plan. Think Giants pass rush. I also expect our corners to play a lot of man press, and our 3 safety sets to try and bracket Gronk/Welker.

I half wonder if we will see much from Gronk anyway, we have more length in our linebackers and secondary than you have ever seen. In our Bandit set we could feature one linebacker and up to 4 secondary players 6'3" or taller.

Latest posts