What do we do against the Pats no huddle?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
What do we do against the Pats no huddle?
Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 am
  • I hope the roar of the 12th man can neutralize some of what the Pats were doing at home on Sunday, but what do the Seahawks generally employ against the no huddle?
    seanoob
    NET Rookie

• Force them into into incompletions so they are forced to huddle, sack/batter Brady repeatedly, or force turnovers.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

• I am certain we will be game planning against this all week. No doubt we have been victimized already by no-huddle offenses, forcing us to burn precious time outs.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    Hawker
    NET Rookie

• First, be ready for the no huddle by being lined up properly quickly... so they don't catch you off guard you from the start on a quick hitting run/pass. Must stuff the quick hitting run and bubble screens... period. If that doesn't happen... its going to be a long day.

Once lined up properly quickly... THEN the D can move and shift presnap to disquise blitz and coverages. This tends to slow the snap of the ball as Brady will have to read the alignment/coverage before the snap. Hopefully, this presnap movement forces an audible... (12th man comes into play)... or a mistaken read by Brady.

Finally, be ready for 3 step hot routes... Db's must jam WR's and TE's within the first 5 yards to disrupt... force Brady to hold the ball (pass rush comes into play), a mis-timed throw, or a throw into a false window leading to an INT.
    SHOCKER315
    NET Veteran

• Can we go no huddle defensively and on kickoffs to confuse them? Fight fire with fire, I say.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Actually, our team was purpose built for this game in the off season. We can go big nickel or big dime against their 2 TE sets, with 3 safeties, or even 4 if they also have a back in the backfield, and that personnel can stay on the field for both the run and the pass.

The no huddle is the least scary part of this game. Also, if we can force a few 3 and outs to start the game, New England is likely to ease up on the no huddle because then they will be risking having their defense on the field too much.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Thanks for your replies. I'm gonna keep a close eye on how quickly we get lined up on defense and how we fare against the dreaded dink and dunks.
    seanoob
    NET Rookie

• Another thing to combat the no huddle is to have different substitutions wait until the ball comes to our side of the field. If, for instance, a pass is caught near the sideline, then the substituting players need to be ready to get onto the field. (This is something Oregon does really well.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• The Packers tried to run the no huddle in the first half against us, it resulted in six sacks and Rodgers getting punched in the mouth for 30 minutes. So much so that the Packers had to resort to a more conventional offense in the 2nd half by bringing in the TE's to help block and run the ball.

The problem with the spread no huddle is that it only leaves 5 or 6 people in to block. Combine this with our corners manhandling NE's small WR's, and the result should be the same as the Packers game. Pain.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.
    PatsFanNH
    NET Rookie

• PatsFanNH wrote:Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.

We ran a similar thing last year, but it wasn't a good idea for our personnel. It isn't really a 2 minute offense or a hurry up, it is just a way to control the personnel the D gets to sub in and out.

However, lest we fail to notice, you guys ran nearly 90 plays on offense last week. Carolina ran about 55. It will be a battle of styles.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• PatsFanNH wrote:Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.

The Hawks base defense is very good, so unlike most teams that MUST bring in nickel backs or an extra pass rusher, we do not. Our starting 11 defenders are sound and fast enough to counter this tactic.

Not saying the Pats offense won't move the ball, I think it's next to impossible to stop Brady entirely. But I do see the Hawks D making it a long day for the Pats offense.

IMO the game will be won or lost by whether the Hawks offense can put up more than 21 points. Which I'm having a hard time imagining, considering it hasn't happened yet this year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    PatsFanNH wrote:Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.

The Hawks base defense is very good, so unlike most teams that MUST bring in nickel backs or an extra pass rusher, we do not. Our starting 11 defenders are sound and fast enough to counter this tactic.

Not saying the Pats offense won't move the ball, I think it's next to impossible to stop Brady entirely. But I do see the Hawks D making it a long day for the Pats offense.

IMO the game will be won or lost by whether the Hawks offense can put up more than 21 points. Which I'm having a hard time imagining, considering it hasn't happened yet this year.

Dallas game?
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    PatsFanNH wrote:Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.

Dallas game?

Special teams directly accounted for 7 of the 27 points.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Dallas game?

Offense only scored 20 points in the Dallas game, and Dallas quit in the 2nd half like bitches. I wouldn't expect the same from a championship caliber NE team.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Well, I personally don't care who scores the points. If we put up more than 21, I think we win.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Let's have a game like the Dallas game. Not really caring whether the D or the Offense scores. PatsFanNH did have a point about the Pats no huddle - especially as employed against the broncos on sunday. I don't want to see our players sidelined because they can't get on the field.
    seanoob
    NET Rookie

• If Brady can run the no-huddle effectively, it's a huge fail for the 12th Man.

The no-huddle requires calling plays and audibles at the line of scrimmage. If Clink is truly the loudest stadium in the league, that won't be possible throughout the entire game. If, however, the 12th Man gets discouraged that a fresh Pats offense (maybe with a scripted first drive) can drive the field, score, and possibly lead the game into the 2nd half, then there is reason to worry.

In my humble opinion, this game might really be impacted by the noise; much moreso than a few false starts.
    chrispy
    NET Rookie

• Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've seen many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Should I pass out cardboard megaphones in my section on Sunday?
    seanoob
    NET Rookie

• We have already seen this in almost every game. THAT is the way we prepare for it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The Radish wrote:Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've seen many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

True. However, that appears to also be a strength of ours. It will be very interesting to see how the halftime adjustments work out.
    gtcotcakya
    NET Rookie

• gtcotcakya wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

True. However, that appears to also be a strength of ours. It will be very interesting to see how the halftime adjustments work out.

It is? What gives you that impression considering we haven't run away from any team in the 2nd half other than a whipped Dallas team.

I'd say Carroll and Bevell are some of the worst halftime adjusters. So far this year our defense has dominated every team in every first half, yet we haven't come out in the 2nd half of 4/5 games and done anything different, which has kept 2 losses and 2 wins way closer than they should have been.

Carroll's even said in post game press conferences stuff like "we were playing good defense, so I wanted to just keep the game close and see what our offense could do if we kept at it." <--------------- not good halftime adjusting.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• not sure how the 12 man can help with this strategy of Patriots. If they use only one word to call their offense, the noise may not be a factor. It will be a guessing game but I am hoping our defense will be well prepared for this style of offense. Substitution during no huddle for the defense will be hard, we can't have the defense too long in the field, we will need offense grind it out and slow the pace, so that the defense gets lot of rest and can shine during Patriots offense by getting pass rush and covering Wes and the TE's.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/ ... story.html

The Patriots operate their no-huddle attack most often using one word as the play call.

More accurately, they use six one-word play calls a game.

That word tells all 11 players on offense everything they need to know.

Formation.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

So what makes the Patriots "super fast" no huddle offense any different than any other? Like say... the Packers for instance? Besides the obvious personnel differences?

Edit: I guess the fact they can call a play faster?
    SHOCKER315
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    gtcotcakya wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

It is? What gives you that impression considering we haven't run away from any team in the 2nd half other than a whipped Dallas team.

I'd say Carroll and Bevell are some of the worst halftime adjusters. So far this year our defense has dominated every team in every first half, yet we haven't come out in the 2nd half of 4/5 games and done anything different, which has kept 2 losses and 2 wins way closer than they should have been.

Carroll's even said in post game press conferences stuff like "we were playing good defense, so I wanted to just keep the game close and see what our offense could do if we kept at it." <--------------- not good halftime adjusting.

If we are doing well, how do you actually make changes for the second half. What Pete means is we keep going at it unless they prove us otherwise or scheme differently.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• Many opposing team players have said when the crowd is really after it you can't hear in the huddle.

Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• It will be hard to substitute players against a no huddle.

Maybe we should substitute out fans that have lost their voices and take the 12th man to a new level. Keeping the volume up in eardrum breaker zone the entire time would be fantastic.
    BullHawk33
    NET Rookie

• The Radish wrote:Many opposing team players have said when the crowd is really after it you can't hear in the huddle.

Problem is, 70% of the fans in our stadium are too dumb to start creating noise while the players are IN the huddle. They start once they see the players break up and start going to the line.

Every single fan in our house should start screaming as loud as possible the moment the huddle comes together, let up to catch a quick breath when huddle breaks, then resume as soon as most of the players are at the line.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• seahawks08 wrote:not sure how the 12 man can help with this strategy of Patriots. If they use only one word to call their offense, the noise may not be a factor. It will be a guessing game but I am hoping our defense will be well prepared for this style of offense. Substitution during no huddle for the defense will be hard, we can't have the defense too long in the field, we will need offense grind it out and slow the pace, so that the defense gets lot of rest and can shine during Patriots offense by getting pass rush and covering Wes and the TE's.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/ ... story.html

The Patriots operate their no-huddle attack most often using one word as the play call.

More accurately, they use six one-word play calls a game.

That word tells all 11 players on offense everything they need to know.

Formation.

I tend to agree. Our fans get quiet after a completion by an opposing team which will give Brady more than enough time to yell out that one word. Then you just follow that up with the silent snap count.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Many opposing team players have said when the crowd is really after it you can't hear in the huddle.

Problem is, 70% of the fans in our stadium are too dumb to start creating noise while the players are IN the huddle. They start once they see the players break up and start going to the line.

Every single fan in our house should start screaming as loud as possible the moment the huddle comes together, let up to catch a quick breath when huddle breaks, then resume as soon as most of the players are at the line.

THANK YOU SIR! I've been stating this for a quite some time. With silent snap count being used quite often, it's almost pointless to hope for a false start due to an inability to hear the QB. If anything, the noise factor just pumps up the defense. But if the fans actually made noise while the opposing team was in the huddle then we'd actually be doing something more to help the defense out.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:...the result should be the same as the Packers game. Pain.

Can't wait!

SeaWolv
    NET Starter

• cards beat the 20-18..i know that was a few weeks ago and they have been evolving their game this season, but if the D comes out firing on all cylinders and maintains its high level of play throughout the entire game then I feel like this will be a win, especially if Wilson plays as well as he did last week. I actually feel like he will be even better this week.
    niveky
    NET Starter

• The Patriots during the Tom Brady years win a buttload of games.

They very well might be our toughest test to date.

Unless we find some kind of offensive rythum our defense is going to have to play epic to win. The offense must come to play.

No excuses for Mr Wilson this week. He must direct this offense effectively.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I'd love it if Leon took the opening kick-off to the house. Short of the obvious "a win", that's what I think I'd like to see most this game.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Beware the quick passes. We will need push up the middle to disrupt the pocket. Staying disciplined with assignments is key.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• #1 thing that scares me about NE is Wes Welker.. He may chew us up!
    Proud Rams fan since 1998
    WellHungSmurf
    NET Bench Warmer

• seanoob wrote:I hope the roar of the 12th man can neutralize some of what the Pats were doing at home on Sunday, but what do the Seahawks generally employ against the no huddle?

Crowd noise will not get it done. The Pats ran 89! Plays against Buffalo when they smoked them.

We have to play man defense and shutdown their receivers and disrupt their routes. Not too worried about the running game but their style of offense is like a runaway freight train - they can start piling on the points. Read/react will be tough to be effective with. Gus will be tested this week.
    My Tapatalk for Ipad is bigger than yours. Size matters.
    MeanBlueGreen
    NET Veteran

• Another thing to consider is that our generally effective 3rd and long defensive pressure substitution package might not get a chance to get on the field against the Pats no huddle. I agree with many other posters who stated that our offense is going to have to play at a higher level if we are going to stay in the game. Ultimately, without more sustained drives, our defense is going to be gassed. Like Green Bay, the Pats have a tremendously accurate passer. Unlike Green Bay, however, Brady generally gets rid of the ball quickly with shorter drops. Looking at the Pats-Ravens game, it looks like they did well putting two people on Welker. I actually think we match up well, size-wise with their other receivers, including Gronkowski. Should be a great test.
    gubernaculum
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sgt. Largent wrote:The Packers tried to run the no huddle in the first half against us, it resulted in six sacks and Rodgers getting punched in the mouth for 30 minutes. So much so that the Packers had to resort to a more conventional offense in the 2nd half by bringing in the TE's to help block and run the ball.

The problem with the spread no huddle is that it only leaves 5 or 6 people in to block. Combine this with our corners manhandling NE's small WR's, and the result should be the same as the Packers game. Pain.

keep in mind the Pats have a much different offense then the packers, They dont have the tight ends or the RBs who can block, run, and catch balls out of the backfield. The rush they miss and its a 25 yard run or a short pass that goes for a long one.
    GoPeteGo!
    NET Bench Warmer

• The hawks need to keep NE off the field as much as possible, if the penalties drop off, this should be able to happen.

Brady is the master of the quick release and finding a receiver and the Pats have tons, they are good even using depth.

On D they have to get very physical at the snap, even take a penalty or two just to get their tempo off. Use TO's wisely on defense. Look to jump a route (take a risk)
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• The Pats ran 47 no huddle plays last week (an amazing number out of 89). Of those 47, only 12 were pass plays. They'll try to catch us when Mebane is out or when Irvin is in, times when our run D is weakest. Then they try to keep us in that package so they can run it down our throats. The moment they see the best defensive package they can run against is the moment they go into no huddle and start ramming it down our throats. This has the side benefit of making it easier to keep the ball away from our side of the field as a run play doesn't depend on who gets open. They control which way the play flows.

But this knowledge of their tactics can be taken advantage of. Once they go no huddle we can play to the run, force the play to our side of the field and get Mebane back out there or Irvin off the field. We can game plan not to put Irvin on the field except in third and long or leave Mebane out there on 3rd and medium. With the pressure Mebane is bringing up the middle, we should be able to handle both the run and the pass with him out there constantly. He'll get winded for sure, but if we stop the first downs, the no huddle can't operate.

There's only so much we can do, however. The biggest way to stop their no huddle offense is to stop them on third downs. They need to convert on third down when we've got a nickle or dime package on the field so that they can go into their no huddle offense and start running. If our 3rdDownsRUs Defense™ shows up on Sunday, it'll be a long day. If we totally stuff their run game, however, their no huddle offense will just be a failed tactic. Arizona did it.On the other hand, a huge game by Lynch and some long, sustained drives to rest our D will go a long ways to offsetting the effects of their no huddle.

We should really lean on Lynch and Turbin to beat the Pats IMO.

Bottom line: Arizona did it in NE so we can do it in Seattle. Brady threw for over 300 yards and Kolb threw for 140. NE had 25 first downs to AZ's 16. NE had 140 more yards offense. How'd AZ do it? They held NE to FG's and scored TD's both times they got into the red zone. 4 sacks helped.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Please dear lawd, do not go into the soft zone coverage.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• SalishHawkFan wrote:The Pats ran 47 no huddle plays last week (an amazing number out of 89). Of those 47, only 12 were pass plays. They'll try to catch us when Mebane is out or when Irvin is in, times when our run D is weakest. Then they try to keep us in that package so they can run it down our throats. The moment they see the best defensive package they can run against is the moment they go into no huddle and start ramming it down our throats. This has the side benefit of making it easier to keep the ball away from our side of the field as a run play doesn't depend on who gets open. They control which way the play flows.

But this knowledge of their tactics can be taken advantage of. Once they go no huddle we can play to the run, force the play to our side of the field and get Mebane back out there or Irvin off the field. We can game plan not to put Irvin on the field except in third and long or leave Mebane out there on 3rd and medium. With the pressure Mebane is bringing up the middle, we should be able to handle both the run and the pass with him out there constantly. He'll get winded for sure, but if we stop the first downs, the no huddle can't operate.

There's only so much we can do, however. The biggest way to stop their no huddle offense is to stop them on third downs. They need to convert on third down when we've got a nickle or dime package on the field so that they can go into their no huddle offense and start running. If our 3rdDownsRUs Defense™ shows up on Sunday, it'll be a long day. If we totally stuff their run game, however, their no huddle offense will just be a failed tactic. Arizona did it.On the other hand, a huge game by Lynch and some long, sustained drives to rest our D will go a long ways to offsetting the effects of their no huddle.

Bottom line: Arizona did it in NE so we can do it in Seattle. Brady threw for over 300 yards and Kolb threw for 140. NE had 25 first downs to AZ's 16. NE had 140 more yards offense. How'd AZ do it? They held NE to FG's and scored TD's both times they got into the red zone. 4 sacks helped.

Woodhead is very dangerous in this scenario. Dude can catch as well, a Welker version at RB.
    652cHAWK
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*
    *Hawk Junk Junkie*

• WellHungSmurf wrote:#1 thing that scares me about NE is Wes Welker.. He may chew us up!

Stop the YAC!
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• 652cHAWK wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:The Pats ran 47 no huddle plays last week (an amazing number out of 89). Of those 47, only 12 were pass plays. They'll try to catch us when Mebane is out or when Irvin is in, times when our run D is weakest. Then they try to keep us in that package so they can run it down our throats. The moment they see the best defensive package they can run against is the moment they go into no huddle and start ramming it down our throats. This has the side benefit of making it easier to keep the ball away from our side of the field as a run play doesn't depend on who gets open. They control which way the play flows.

Woodhead is very dangerous in this scenario. Dude can catch as well, a Welker version at RB.

Fortunately, they don't hand him the rock as often. Don't know why, his ypc is better. Seahawks better key on the guy when he's on the field in a no huddle, that's for sure.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information