Great article about Wilson's scrambling tendencies

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I noticed he did a lot more moving around inside the pocket rather then sprinting out of the pocket this week. His movement helped buy him time without completely breaking down the potential of the play.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
2 plays that annoyed me. The first 1 is the first highlighted in the article. IMO RW has a tendency to try to get outside too much. Which in turn leads to having to endure unnecessary pressure. Similar to the way I play Madden. On that first play (in the piece) Tate blocks the end, There is room for Wilson to climb up into the pocket which would have bough him a second or two and might have inticed the LBer to come off Miller in an attempt to stop the rush up the middle (similar to what RW did against the Chiefs).

So I think he should have tried to scramble up the middle instead of the side.

2nd play- Was one which he was flushed out with Miller standing there (it's probably the 4th/5th example in the article) He scrambles, Miller has an adequate block, but instead of taking it outside and picking up yards, He get's indecisive and trys to cut in under Miller's block, with the unfortunate result of being tackled for virtually no gain. Sometime he's too hesitant to run and misses out on some easy yards IMO.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
i know exactly what play you are talking about and he has been doing it since game 1 . he needs to start trusting his instincts more

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Giacomini, Giacomini, Giacomini. I can't believe some people are saying that our pass protection is passable. Giacomini is constantly getting beaten, inside and outside.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I think the reason for the improvement goes back to the discussion Wilson had with Warren Moon on the plane ride back from St. Louis. Wilson came up to Moon (props to him) and asked for his honest assessment. Moon told him to trust the pocket more and to learn how to step up in the pocket to allow the line to protect him and give him better vision down the field. Clearly RW took it to heart.

Moon talked about the conversation in an interview on one of the Seattle radio shows when everyone was calling for Flynn. Moon came out and said no, you don't do that the kid has skills you need to give him time. Hey I wouldn't mind seeing Flynn in real game scenarios but now's not the time. I'm going with the Hall of Famer on this one.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Very good article. Breno doesn't look too good in many of them. So when he's not making boneheaded penalties to bring back our good plays, he's getting beat in pass pro.

Wilson looks to be learning faster than a typical rookie. That's good to see.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3kc3i92d said:
Giacomini, Giacomini, Giacomini. I can't believe some people are saying that our pass protection is passable. Giacomini is constantly getting beaten, inside and outside.

Would you prefer Omiyale in there? He seemed to play ok in relief.

If not then what else can we do? Go back to Sweezy at RG and slide McQuistan over? I guess our options will be a little better when Moffitt comes back. So Okung, Carp, Max, Moff, McQuistan/Omi? You think that'd be better?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great article.

On some of those runs where he doesn't throw the ball, he might be worried about "ineligible downfield." Such as offensive linemen, so he might as well get something positive out of it instead of a penalty.

themunn

Reaction score
I was convinced that in Example 2 RW was going to break off for a huge 20-30 yard run if MRob could block the corner enough to let RW pass, Wilson I think was just a bit too hesitant and gave the DE enough time to catch up with him and make the tackle

Similar thoughts to those above with regards to the example where he tried to run wrong-side of Miller, though he would have received better blocks upfield and a bigger gain had it come off

amill87

Reaction score
To me, Wilson looks like he is thinking too much. I've been getting frustrated and often yelling at the TV for him to make a decision. It seems like he can't decide whether to step up, roll out, throw the ball, or throw the ball away.

This does concern me a little bit because one of his strengths was supposed to be his mental game. As of now, his mental game seems to be what is holding him back. He has shown flashes of brilliance physically (mobility, arm strength, and accuracy) but it seems like he can't do it consistently because he is thinking about what is the best option while the game is going on around him.

This should be something he can without a doubt eventually shake off, the only question becomes how long will it take?

BASF

Reaction score
It is no coincidence that Wilson ran less in this game, we actually had the same five linemen start consecutive games. It helps.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
amill87":24w12iry said:
To me, Wilson looks like he is thinking too much. I've been getting frustrated and often yelling at the TV for him to make a decision. It seems like he can't decide whether to step up, roll out, throw the ball, or throw the ball away.

This does concern me a little bit because one of his strengths was supposed to be his mental game. As of now, his mental game seems to be what is holding him back. He has shown flashes of brilliance physically (mobility, arm strength, and accuracy) but it seems like he can't do it consistently because he is thinking about what is the best option while the game is going on around him.

This should be something he can without a doubt eventually shake off, the only question becomes how long will it take?
Either it's just getting used to the speed of the game and trying not to make mistakes or because Pete has put on training wheels. He's not playing to his nature, he's trying to fight back his natural instincts and play within the parameters the coach has limited him to. Hass didn't like it, looking back perhaps Tjack didn't like it, Flynn may have been affected by it preseason and now Wilson may be affected. That isn't to say that Pete is wrong in this. It's frustrating to watch, but hopefully Pete knows what he's doing and in the end it will develop Wilson into a better QB. That's the hope at least. I think the idea is to not let him make too many mistakes at first, let the game slow down for him, then let him go back to playing the way he naturally plays once he's learned what you can and can't get away with at the NFL level. At some point the game will slow down for him or it won't and all anyone can do is wait and see. That's why every rookie QB is an experiment and some are busts and some aren't.

mikeak

Reaction score
Running quarterbacks gets injured. Running qb's gets concussions. Running qb's don't last and Running qb's fumble

so maybe the "indecisiveness" is looking for a passing opportunity because that is what is being drilled into him (correctly) by the staff. If you don't have to run don't run. Get him to learn to play the position by not running, but moving in the pocket (up) and moving to the outsides to buy time.

Now when you are truly a threat as a passing qb if you want to do a few running plays when there is good coverage downfield go ahead just make sure to slide which Wilson does and RG3 didn't this weekend (he is more slipping, gets hit in the head, concussion).....