Deon Branch: "It really doesn't rain that much in Seattle"

morgulon1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":odtxdywv said:
EastCoastHawksFan":odtxdywv said:
I do not live in seattle , and i never been there . :(

with that said it seems like during game times since Qwest Field was built it has only rained ONCE to my knowledge during a game .

I wonder if there is a way to find that out . Im sure its misty at times in Seattle but it really has only rained once. Deion Branch is correct.

No that is definitely not true. I have been to a few games where it was raining pretty hard. The shit show against Washington last year comes to mind. That was a torrential downpour.

Hahaha, I was at the shit show too. Got sick as hell.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
slargent4ever":3n3wq52r said:
Sarlacc83":3n3wq52r said:
PatsAddict":3n3wq52r said:
Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

So your defense is looking top notch. You guys probably have the biggest CBs in the league. The pass rush seems nasty too, especially at home. I think Aaron Rodgers' counselor was working overtime after that Packers game to help him overcome PTSD (Post Traumatic Sack Disorder).

Things are pretty good here in New England in case your wondering (except for the aforementioned rain). Leaves are turning color, gas is still under $4 a gallon, the Pats are leading the division and the Jets are a wonderful carnival of misfits.

Should be a good game. The Pats have decided to run some sort of hurry up on offense on Amphetimines. If you have any interest here's a pretty good article on what they are trying to do on that side of the ball: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... story.html

Two warnings: 1. It's kinda long. You could probably finish half your Venti from Starbucks by the time you're done reading it. 2. They seem to have borrowed much of their philosophy from Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks, so reading it might make some of you Huskies/Cougars fans throw up a little in your mouths.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Pats are better than last year but that's not saying much. They seem to be able to get better pressure on the QB when just rushing four. Secondary is still a concern but no team's perfect. I'm assuming they plan on bottling up Lynch and taking their chances with Wilson beating them.

By the way, I hear that stadium of your is pretty loud. Is it loud like, a wife yelling at her husband to take the garbage out or loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with the cleaning lady?

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with her sister.

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with his sister.

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with both of their sisters...and the sisters are both 19.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":hw609bsb said:
EastCoastHawksFan":hw609bsb said:
somebody find that stats of how many times it rained during a game since 2003 . i will put anything on it that its less then 5
You'd lose. What confuses some is the unusual fact that it didn't rain on a game in the first three years (IIRC) of the new stadium. It was quite weird, as the odds of it not raining on any given Sunday afternoon between Labor Day and New Years has to be astronomical. After '04-'05 or so normality returned and we started getting rain several games a year.

As a season ticket holder from 2005-008 or so, I can attest that we got quite a few games where we had rain/weather.

Not sure what the long term forecast is for Sunday yet, but nobody around here trusts any forecast more than 3-5 days out anyway. By Thursday or so, we'll have a better idea of the projected weather.

Incidentally, rain has pretty much zero effect on footing. Sure, the ball gets wet, and we do have some interesting wind affects sometimes, but it's often not that big of a deal.

I distinctly remember a Raiders game on a weeknight or a Sunday night that it pissed....I remember it because I gave my ticket to a friend and watched the waterfalls on tv. I also remember a Raiders game at Husky stadium where it pissed....The Makers hate the Raiders.

-SH

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Yesterday I dug a post hole for a friend using my post hole digger on the back of my tractor. We went down 4' and it was as dry as a dusty road. I have never seen it that dry that deep west of the Cascades. We are in desperate need of rain. But on the other hand this summer was the best I have seen in years.

ivotuk

Reaction score
slargent4ever":gmte4h19 said:
Sarlacc83":gmte4h19 said:
PatsAddict":gmte4h19 said:
Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

So your defense is looking top notch. You guys probably have the biggest CBs in the league. The pass rush seems nasty too, especially at home. I think Aaron Rodgers' counselor was working overtime after that Packers game to help him overcome PTSD (Post Traumatic Sack Disorder).

Things are pretty good here in New England in case your wondering (except for the aforementioned rain). Leaves are turning color, gas is still under $4 a gallon, the Pats are leading the division and the Jets are a wonderful carnival of misfits.

Should be a good game. The Pats have decided to run some sort of hurry up on offense on Amphetimines. If you have any interest here's a pretty good article on what they are trying to do on that side of the ball: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... story.html

Two warnings: 1. It's kinda long. You could probably finish half your Venti from Starbucks by the time you're done reading it. 2. They seem to have borrowed much of their philosophy from Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks, so reading it might make some of you Huskies/Cougars fans throw up a little in your mouths.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Pats are better than last year but that's not saying much. They seem to be able to get better pressure on the QB when just rushing four. Secondary is still a concern but no team's perfect. I'm assuming they plan on bottling up Lynch and taking their chances with Wilson beating them.

By the way, I hear that stadium of your is pretty loud. Is it loud like, a wife yelling at her husband to take the garbage out or loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with the cleaning lady?

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with his sister.

but not as loud as catching her husband, Bruce Dickindaughter

ivotuk

Reaction score
That was a really great article. "All of the Patriots calls in no huddle are one word"

That's a brilliant plan as the purpose of the no huddle is to catch the defense off guard. One of the biggest enemies of the no huddle is communication issues, too many commands create an opportunity for confusion, missed blocks, bad hand offs, incomplete routes. But having one word that means different things to different players eliminates any chance for confusion, as long as the players understand the plays.

That one word, say "Omaha" would mean one thing to the offensive line, something different to the wide receivers, another thing entirely to the tight ends and yet something else to the running back and full back.

The only downside is that a team has to be experienced and have lots of playing time together in order for something like this to work efficiently. And that is one of New England's biggest assets, it's experience on the offensive side of the ball at QB, line, receivers and back. And for the new guy, like the running back, it only has to be something really simple.

The Seahawks are a rebuilding team so we don't have that luxury, but if anyone can come alive his rookie year and play like a pro, it's Russell Wilson. I have faith in his ability to progress at a much faster pace than 99% of the quarterbacks out there. His success at NC State and Wisconsin have convinced me of that. And his success as a rookie on an offense that, outside of the running game, is trying to find it's identity has been commendable.

There is a time in every learning process when things start to click, and I think we saw that last week in Carolina and will see an even bigger jump this week against New England. It's going to be tough though because he's going up against a Bill Belicheck defense, but Russell can do it.

The Patriot defense if very good, they forced 3 fumbles last week but 1 of those was Peyton Manning's who was sacked twice. There were no interceptions, something I think Russell can duplicate. But Russell has more escapability so sacks for New England will be harder to come by. Denver only came away with 70 yards rushing but they threw the ball a lot. I expect Seattle to break 120 yards as their offensive line gels and the running backs adjust to that line.

I expect a very close game with Seattle winning if they can control the time of possession and get hits and pressures on Tom Brady.

Edit to add from the article: "“You learn to make words that are easy to say, one syllable and distinct,” Belichick said. “At the Colts, all our strong-side patterns were score, strike, sting, smash. And the weak-side patterns were whirl, whisk, wheel. And it was one word, usually one syllable, told everybody what to do [he says as he snaps his finger].”"

OP
OP
P

PatsAddict

Reaction score
This morning Pete Carroll was on the same radio station that Deion Branch broke the news about Seattle weather. I'm sure many of you know that Pats fans have an interesting perspective on 'ol Pete. His 'rah, 'rah, jacked and pumped style did not play well here. I was always thought Pete would be a great guy to party with. You couldn't ask for a better wingman. He'd sell you to the hottest girl in bar and afterwards she'd feel like she did the greatest thing in the world despite lowering her standards.

And it seems he's still the same guy. He packed in more words during one radio interview than Belichick will speak in one season. He talked alot about having fun. Fun it seems is the ingredient for success. I'll say this, he's in the right spot because of the youth on your roster. That should extend Pete's shelf-life longer than the four years he had in New England. He took over for Parcells the year after the team went to the Super Bowl. They had a lot of veterans on that squad and his personality just didn't gel with those guys. It'll be interesting to see as your team ages, if they start tuning him out.

Other things of note that Pete said:

Bruce Irvin had 3 sacks in 20 snaps. That is absolutely insane. I'm wondering if the Pats will use the draw game on his side because he likes to get up the field. They used to do that to Dwight Freeney alot and he'd piroute past the ballcarrier.

He seems to be a big fan of Wilson too although he seems to be enamoured with his 40 time more than his passing ability. It's unfortunate that Flynn had the elbow problems because it seems you guys have a championship caliber defense and he's farther along than Wilson is in running an NFL offense. I'm not in the Pac West so I don't know if folks have been clamouring to see Fynn now that it looks like he's healthy enough to play but I'd be on the Flynn side of that debate if I was a Seahawks fan.

PS: Rainy day again here in NE. Talked to a buddy of mine who's a meteoroligist and it seems the jet stream couple with High pressure over the Great Lakes has been pushing moisture up the Atlantic coast from the south. Just another reason to hate the south.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
As I was heading to bed last night after a late-night evening class, I heard the weatherman say that Sunday looks like it'll be nasty, stormy and pouring rain... But then, as alluded to above, that's not for several days and the forecast may change three times by then.

As to the 'doesn't rain much' OP, well... I grew up here near Seattle (mostly) in the 60s - 70s, and saw all over the US in my time since, and now live here again. It may not rain as much in inches as places like Miami or New York, but it hardly ever deluges. Instead, it clouds up sometime in Oct-Nov, and you hardly see the sun except for half a dozen times until next March. It rains intermittently during that whole time, and the days get to be real short since we are actually about as far north as the top of Maine. In fact, I just looked it up and Seattle (about half-way between the N and S borders of WA) is slightly north of the extreme north point of Maine - even more than I had thought! It then gets better with gradually decreasing rain/cloudy time until July 5, when it can be counted on to finally stop raining right after the fireworks. Then, generally no rain at all until sometime in Sept (unless I'm on a motorcycle vacation). In all, most people on the western side of the state have a lot of moss on their roofs and in their lawns, even in the 'full-sun exposure areas'.

SirTed

Reaction score
PatsAddict":24rg9zg7 said:
This morning Pete Carroll was on the same radio station that Deion Branch broke the news about Seattle weather. I'm sure many of you know that Pats fans have an interesting perspective on 'ol Pete. His 'rah, 'rah, jacked and pumped style did not play well here. I was always thought Pete would be a great guy to party with. You couldn't ask for a better wingman. He'd sell you to the hottest girl in bar and afterwards she'd feel like she did the greatest thing in the world despite lowering her standards.

And it seems he's still the same guy. He packed in more words during one radio interview than Belichick will speak in one season. He talked alot about having fun. Fun it seems is the ingredient for success. I'll say this, he's in the right spot because of the youth on your roster. That should extend Pete's shelf-life longer than the four years he had in New England. He took over for Parcells the year after the team went to the Super Bowl. They had a lot of veterans on that squad and his personality just didn't gel with those guys. It'll be interesting to see as your team ages, if they start tuning him out.

Other things of note that Pete said:

Bruce Irvin had 3 sacks in 20 snaps. That is absolutely insane. I'm wondering if the Pats will use the draw game on his side because he likes to get up the field. They used to do that to Dwight Freeney alot and he'd piroute past the ballcarrier.

He seems to be a big fan of Wilson too although he seems to be enamoured with his 40 time more than his passing ability. It's unfortunate that Flynn had the elbow problems because it seems you guys have a championship caliber defense and he's farther along than Wilson is in running an NFL offense. I'm not in the Pac West so I don't know if folks have been clamouring to see Fynn now that it looks like he's healthy enough to play but I'd be on the Flynn side of that debate if I was a Seahawks fan.

PS: Rainy day again here in NE. Talked to a buddy of mine who's a meteoroligist and it seems the jet stream couple with High pressure over the Great Lakes has been pushing moisture up the Atlantic coast from the south. Just another reason to hate the south.

You know, I've heard from a number of Pats fans about how poorly Pete's "rah rah" style didn't play up there, and it was only a matter of time before something like that happens here, etc.

I wonder if those years at USC didn't just turn Pete into a better coach. Or maybe his positive attitude just didn't play well on the "win or die" east coast. Because honestly, and maybe I'm alone on this, I can't imagine Pete's style ever wearing on the guys. This is crazy to say, but as much as I liked Holmgren and everything he did for our franchise, Pete is my all-time favorite Seahawks coach.

OP
OP
P

PatsAddict

Reaction score
SirTed":101n8diu said:
You know, I've heard from a number of Pats fans about how poorly Pete's "rah rah" style didn't play up there, and it was only a matter of time before something like that happens here, etc.

I wonder if those years at USC didn't just turn Pete into a better coach. Or maybe his positive attitude just didn't play well on the "win or die" east coast. Because honestly, and maybe I'm alone on this, I can't imagine Pete's style ever wearing on the guys. This is crazy to say, but as much as I liked Holmgren and everything he did for our franchise, Pete is my all-time favorite Seahawks coach.

You like him over Chuck Knox? Poor Chuck. I know he didn't "give good interview" but that cat could coach.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
PatsAddict":1zw847ec said:

Most of us here are well aware of Pete's tenure in NE, and it's been pretty well discussed that he did quite a bit of soul searching after that stint and started working on his current ideas and team-building process because of it.

I also think you're underestimating 2 things: Building up trust with the young guys now means they're less likely to tune him out later (because what he said has built up a top 5 defense), and, more importantly, you have no idea how brutal our front office is with players. They look soft and fuzzy and rah-rah, and then they cut players' asses in moments of stone cold brutality.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":1w1rlyu9 said:
Sarlacc83":1w1rlyu9 said:
PatsAddict":1w1rlyu9 said:

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with both of their sisters...and the sisters are both 19.
Right after the husband has just said, "But honey, they're TWINS."

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
PatsAddict":3k4gw5dw said:
SirTed":3k4gw5dw said:

You like him over Chuck Knox? Poor Chuck. I know he didn't "give good interview" but that cat could coach.
Over Ground "perenially 9-7 and just miss the playoffs over tiebreakers" Chuck? Oh heck yeah!

I've got a soft spot for Patera and his razzle dazzle plays and I always will, but Pete's my favorite coach of all time and I think a lot of fans feel that way about him.

chawx

Reaction score
You know what I want to see happen just once, would be on a crucial play in the 4th quarter or something, while the opposing team is in the huddle and the 12s are going nuts, right as they break the huddle, everyone just goes completely and totally silent. All 70k...just....nothing...... it would trip the shit out of the opposing QB, no matter who he was. Then, what would be even better, is if he started calling an audible or something, and on the next play, everyone in the stands as they break the huddle, repeat the audible that the QB said. Word for word. LOL!

I want this to happen so bad... I would be eternally grateful to all 70,000 of you guys if you could pull it off.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chawx":2zdc6iyw said:
You know what I want to see happen just once, would be on a crucial play in the 4th quarter or something, while the opposing team is in the huddle and the 12s are going nuts, right as they break the huddle, everyone just goes completely and totally silent. All 70k...just....nothing...... it would trip the shit out of the opposing QB, no matter who he was. Then, what would be even better, is if he started calling an audible or something, and on the next play, everyone in the stands as they break the huddle, repeat the audible that the QB said. Word for word. LOL!

I want this to happen so bad... I would be eternally grateful to all 70,000 of you guys if you could pull it off.
Only one way that will happen. They have to run a message on the Jumbotron saying they just ran out of beer. there will be a moment of silence. Then noise.

sam1313

Reaction score
PatsAddict":azq17csb said:
The Radish":azq17csb said:
its felt! A vibration of your entire body. It has to be experienced to be understood. quote]

That's the exact line I used on my wife when I first met her.

That's awesome PatsAddict! Well done. You make it hard to hate you guys as much!

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I love the idea of one word play calling.

I think its a trade off. It means more work during the week, mostly more memorization. Memorization is critical with a system like that.

With a traditional west coast system, it seems like once you know it, you know it. It allows for more dynamic play calling with a lot of little variations. However, that is a lot more things that can be heard wrong or otherwise botched on the line.

Id rather do the work during the week than on the line, and I'd gladly sacrifice a little dynamism in exchange for a lesser chance of a communication screw up. Besides, according to that article, you change the plays and the words every week - so you can customize to your opponents and so past footage doesn't give you away.

Say you choose 6 one word plays for a given week. Its not like you are running 6 plays all day. When the clock is stopped you still huddle and can call anything.

I have to be honest, I love what NE is doing. I love the Brady/Belichick tandem. They have my favorite offense in the NFL. However, I happen to enjoy a good defense just as much or more.

My question to you 12's: Do you REALLY think you can all get loud enough that NE's offense wont hear Brady screaming ONE word, say three times, when he only has six possible words and they are all distinct? I don't think that's possible. Maybe if he has to call an audible we can stop that, but it sounds like NE has the perfect counter-attack to our crowd noise. Even in deafening noise, if all I have to do is tell the difference between "ruby" "drywall" and "pivot" i am going to be fine.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":3g7qy25v said:
EastCoastHawksFan":3g7qy25v said:
somebody find that stats of how many times it rained during a game since 2003 . i will put anything on it that its less then 5
You'd lose. What confuses some is the unusual fact that it didn't rain on a game in the first three years (IIRC) of the new stadium. It was quite weird, as the odds of it not raining on any given Sunday afternoon between Labor Day and New Years has to be astronomical. After '04-'05 or so normality returned and we started getting rain several games a year.

As a season ticket holder from 2005-008 or so, I can attest that we got quite a few games where we had rain/weather.

Not sure what the long term forecast is for Sunday yet, but nobody around here trusts any forecast more than 3-5 days out anyway. By Thursday or so, we'll have a better idea of the projected weather.

Incidentally, rain has pretty much zero effect on footing. Sure, the ball gets wet, and we do have some interesting wind affects sometimes, but it's often not that big of a deal.

I think another reason the myth still exists is that rain is hard to notice on television if it's not pooling up, and our field drains so well, you just don't get big pools of standing water when it's raining, so unless you look really closely, you might not notice the rainy days on tv

Latest posts