Defense's Chink in the Armor?

kmedic

Reaction score
From my observations, the one major weakness of this particular defense has been defending the no-huddle offense, particularly against elite QB's. We saw Aaron Rodgers employ it this season (as well as Kolb on his final drive against us) and I saw it happen to us several times last season as well. We rely heavily on different substitution packages based on the offensive formations. Elite QB's like Brady, Rodgers, and Manning can effectively "lock" a particular defensive personnel package on the field that they recognize is a mismatch by employing the no-huddle offense, preventing substitutions.

I believe that Brady and company will be using the no-huddle offense quite a bit this Sunday. I am a bit worried how the defense is going to handle that and how many "12 men on the field" penalties there will be as well as valuable timeouts being wasted.

Anybody else concerned?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes. Brady has been running the no huddle offense all season long. He runs dinks, and dunks the ball up the field, and takes advantage of the underneath man. Things could get ugly very fast if our offense does not step it up.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Well in order for the no huddle work you must get first downs. If you look at the Carolina game they had like 3, 3-out's to start the game, Only had like 10 plays the first quarter and a half. my point is the no-huddle is meaningless unless than can convert, If the defense is able to continue it's improved play on 3rd down than I think we've got a chance to limit the damage.

However, I agree, we more than most are built around numerous packages and if the no-huddle get's rolling than it will be tough to get guys in and out without getting gassed.

I wonder if we'll enploy a nickle look as our base package this week to combat that.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
jlwaters1":eg5sdomt said:
Well in order for the no huddle work you must get first downs. If you look at the Carolina game they had like 3, 3-out's to start the game, Only had like 10 plays the first quarter and a half. my point is the no-huddle is meaningless unless than can convert, If the defense is able to continue it's improved play on 3rd down than I think we've got a chance to limit the damage.

However, I agree, we more than most are built around numerous packages and if the no-huddle get's rolling than it will be tough to get guys in and out without getting gassed.

I wonder if we'll enploy a nickle look as our base package this week to combat that.
Their is a HUGE difference between Cam Newton and Tom Brady as passers. We're facing arguably the best QB in the game, an experienced vet at running no huddle offenses. This game worries the hell out of me.

drdiags

Reaction score
Brought it up in several threads. Yes I am concerned but that article posted from the Boston paper speaks to the fact that the Pats will not go 100% no huddle, because of the impact it could have on their defense as well. So they will use it but maybe not exclusively.

I would expect them to use it early to take the crowd out of the game. This is a very challenging game for the defense. I also expect Hernandez to return this game, putting more pressure on the defense. Maybe our big hogs can provide pass rush? Big Red, Mebane and Branch will have to play their butts off.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
drdiags":z24rnbzn said:
Brought it up in several threads. Yes I am concerned but that article posted from the Boston paper speaks to the fact that the Pats will not go 100% no huddle, because of the impact it could have on their defense as well. So they will use it but maybe not exclusively.

I would expect them to use it early to take the crowd out of the game. This is a very challenging game for the defense. I also expect Hernandez to return this game, putting more pressure on the defense. Maybe our big hogs can provide pass rush? Big Red, Mebane and Branch will have to play their butts off.
I saw another stat that basically said most of our pass rush has came from our back up D-Lineman. When they are in the game then Brady can audible to a run and exploit the size of Jones, and Irvins tendency to over pursue. When our big boys are in they can pass it and we'll likely not get to the passer. Interesting condundrum to be sure.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, the good news is that it's not going to come as a surprise since the Pats go to it often. meaning lots of tape and lots of time to gameplan for it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
No Huddle is a huge concern but I think it could be countered with the Big Nickel or Bandit packages where we basically have a lot of DBs on the field.

I think one of the biggest problems NE will present is with small, quick receivers like Edelman and Welker. Not to mention Lloyd so we need Trufant and Jeron Johnson to step up in this game.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
Kam for the most part has been playing well this season, but I would say he hasn't been "Pro Bowl level" because he hasn't been as strong in coverage as last year, particularly against big TE's. He struggled against Witten in the Dallas game and if he hadn't dropped so many balls, Kam would have looked even worse.

I am a little worried about how he will be able to handle Gronk and Hernandez this week...

lukerguy

Reaction score
There's a few ways to neutralize this:
1) Noise (we'll have a lot of that)
2) Pressure/Sacks- as soon as he goes on his back, it's very difficult to run the next play in a no huddle. Primarily because everyone has to move backwards and usually they have to call a play for 2nd or 3rd and longer.
3) Incomplete passes- It's all about flow. If we can knock some balls down then we will succeed.

I think Brady is going to get pick 6'd this game. It's just a hunch I have..I had the same hunch that the Vikes were going to beat the 9ers.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Batted passes. If the dline can continue to bat down passes over the middle like they did against Cam, this will improve our chances.

dunceface

Reaction score
hoxrox":xmlz8ale said:
Batted passes. If the dline can continue to bat down passes over the middle like they did against Cam, this will improve our chances.

like when Don Mebane bulldozed right thru that lineman and batted that pass? Yes please.