What do we do against the Pats no huddle?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gtcotcakya":amnpn1pa said:
The Radish":amnpn1pa said:
Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

:les:
True. However, that appears to also be a strength of ours. It will be very interesting to see how the halftime adjustments work out.

It is? What gives you that impression considering we haven't run away from any team in the 2nd half other than a whipped Dallas team.

I'd say Carroll and Bevell are some of the worst halftime adjusters. So far this year our defense has dominated every team in every first half, yet we haven't come out in the 2nd half of 4/5 games and done anything different, which has kept 2 losses and 2 wins way closer than they should have been.

Carroll's even said in post game press conferences stuff like "we were playing good defense, so I wanted to just keep the game close and see what our offense could do if we kept at it." <--------------- not good halftime adjusting.

seahawks08

Reaction score
not sure how the 12 man can help with this strategy of Patriots. If they use only one word to call their offense, the noise may not be a factor. It will be a guessing game but I am hoping our defense will be well prepared for this style of offense. Substitution during no huddle for the defense will be hard, we can't have the defense too long in the field, we will need offense grind it out and slow the pace, so that the defense gets lot of rest and can shine during Patriots offense by getting pass rush and covering Wes and the TE's.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/ ... story.html

The Patriots operate their no-huddle attack most often using one word as the play call.

More accurately, they use six one-word play calls a game.

That word tells all 11 players on offense everything they need to know.

Formation.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":21w1xpu7 said:
Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.

So what makes the Patriots "super fast" no huddle offense any different than any other? Like say... the Packers for instance? Besides the obvious personnel differences?

Edit: I guess the fact they can call a play faster?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22hd33sb said:
gtcotcakya":22hd33sb said:
The Radish":22hd33sb said:
Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

True. However, that appears to also be a strength of ours. It will be very interesting to see how the halftime adjustments work out.

It is? What gives you that impression considering we haven't run away from any team in the 2nd half other than a whipped Dallas team.

I'd say Carroll and Bevell are some of the worst halftime adjusters. So far this year our defense has dominated every team in every first half, yet we haven't come out in the 2nd half of 4/5 games and done anything different, which has kept 2 losses and 2 wins way closer than they should have been.

Carroll's even said in post game press conferences stuff like "we were playing good defense, so I wanted to just keep the game close and see what our offense could do if we kept at it." <--------------- not good halftime adjusting.

If we are doing well, how do you actually make changes for the second half. What Pete means is we keep going at it unless they prove us otherwise or scheme differently.

The Radish

Reaction score
Many opposing team players have said when the crowd is really after it you can't hear in the huddle.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
It will be hard to substitute players against a no huddle.

Maybe we should substitute out fans that have lost their voices and take the 12th man to a new level. Keeping the volume up in eardrum breaker zone the entire time would be fantastic.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Radish":2o6l1ix0 said:
Many opposing team players have said when the crowd is really after it you can't hear in the huddle.

Problem is, 70% of the fans in our stadium are too dumb to start creating noise while the players are IN the huddle. They start once they see the players break up and start going to the line.

Every single fan in our house should start screaming as loud as possible the moment the huddle comes together, let up to catch a quick breath when huddle breaks, then resume as soon as most of the players are at the line.

12thMan1

Reaction score
seahawks08":5cwrm0mz said:
not sure how the 12 man can help with this strategy of Patriots. If they use only one word to call their offense, the noise may not be a factor. It will be a guessing game but I am hoping our defense will be well prepared for this style of offense. Substitution during no huddle for the defense will be hard, we can't have the defense too long in the field, we will need offense grind it out and slow the pace, so that the defense gets lot of rest and can shine during Patriots offense by getting pass rush and covering Wes and the TE's.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/ ... story.html

The Patriots operate their no-huddle attack most often using one word as the play call.

More accurately, they use six one-word play calls a game.

That word tells all 11 players on offense everything they need to know.

Formation.

I tend to agree. Our fans get quiet after a completion by an opposing team which will give Brady more than enough time to yell out that one word. Then you just follow that up with the silent snap count.

12thMan1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1tjxwqeu said:
The Radish":1tjxwqeu said:

Problem is, 70% of the fans in our stadium are too dumb to start creating noise while the players are IN the huddle. They start once they see the players break up and start going to the line.

Every single fan in our house should start screaming as loud as possible the moment the huddle comes together, let up to catch a quick breath when huddle breaks, then resume as soon as most of the players are at the line.

THANK YOU SIR! I've been stating this for a quite some time. With silent snap count being used quite often, it's almost pointless to hope for a false start due to an inability to hear the QB. If anything, the noise factor just pumps up the defense. But if the fans actually made noise while the opposing team was in the huddle then we'd actually be doing something more to help the defense out.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":igyenkfy said:
...the result should be the same as the Packers game. Pain.

Can't wait!

1772373_o.gif

niveky

Reaction score
cards beat the 20-18..i know that was a few weeks ago and they have been evolving their game this season, but if the D comes out firing on all cylinders and maintains its high level of play throughout the entire game then I feel like this will be a win, especially if Wilson plays as well as he did last week. I actually feel like he will be even better this week.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Patriots during the Tom Brady years win a buttload of games.

They very well might be our toughest test to date.

Unless we find some kind of offensive rythum our defense is going to have to play epic to win. The offense must come to play.

No excuses for Mr Wilson this week. He must direct this offense effectively.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd love it if Leon took the opening kick-off to the house. Short of the obvious "a win", that's what I think I'd like to see most this game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Beware the quick passes. We will need push up the middle to disrupt the pocket. Staying disciplined with assignments is key.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
seanoob":1t63dwtz said:
I hope the roar of the 12th man can neutralize some of what the Pats were doing at home on Sunday, but what do the Seahawks generally employ against the no huddle?

Crowd noise will not get it done. The Pats ran 89! Plays against Buffalo when they smoked them.

We have to play man defense and shutdown their receivers and disrupt their routes. Not too worried about the running game but their style of offense is like a runaway freight train - they can start piling on the points. Read/react will be tough to be effective with. Gus will be tested this week.

gubernaculum

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that our generally effective 3rd and long defensive pressure substitution package might not get a chance to get on the field against the Pats no huddle. I agree with many other posters who stated that our offense is going to have to play at a higher level if we are going to stay in the game. Ultimately, without more sustained drives, our defense is going to be gassed. Like Green Bay, the Pats have a tremendously accurate passer. Unlike Green Bay, however, Brady generally gets rid of the ball quickly with shorter drops. Looking at the Pats-Ravens game, it looks like they did well putting two people on Welker. I actually think we match up well, size-wise with their other receivers, including Gronkowski. Should be a great test.

GoPeteGo!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xqeb5fg said:
The Packers tried to run the no huddle in the first half against us, it resulted in six sacks and Rodgers getting punched in the mouth for 30 minutes. So much so that the Packers had to resort to a more conventional offense in the 2nd half by bringing in the TE's to help block and run the ball.

The problem with the spread no huddle is that it only leaves 5 or 6 people in to block. Combine this with our corners manhandling NE's small WR's, and the result should be the same as the Packers game. Pain.

keep in mind the Pats have a much different offense then the packers, They dont have the tight ends or the RBs who can block, run, and catch balls out of the backfield. The rush they miss and its a 25 yard run or a short pass that goes for a long one.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The hawks need to keep NE off the field as much as possible, if the penalties drop off, this should be able to happen.

Brady is the master of the quick release and finding a receiver and the Pats have tons, they are good even using depth.

On D they have to get very physical at the snap, even take a penalty or two just to get their tempo off. Use TO's wisely on defense. Look to jump a route (take a risk)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The Pats ran 47 no huddle plays last week (an amazing number out of 89). Of those 47, only 12 were pass plays. They'll try to catch us when Mebane is out or when Irvin is in, times when our run D is weakest. Then they try to keep us in that package so they can run it down our throats. The moment they see the best defensive package they can run against is the moment they go into no huddle and start ramming it down our throats. This has the side benefit of making it easier to keep the ball away from our side of the field as a run play doesn't depend on who gets open. They control which way the play flows.

But this knowledge of their tactics can be taken advantage of. Once they go no huddle we can play to the run, force the play to our side of the field and get Mebane back out there or Irvin off the field. We can game plan not to put Irvin on the field except in third and long or leave Mebane out there on 3rd and medium. With the pressure Mebane is bringing up the middle, we should be able to handle both the run and the pass with him out there constantly. He'll get winded for sure, but if we stop the first downs, the no huddle can't operate.

There's only so much we can do, however. The biggest way to stop their no huddle offense is to stop them on third downs. They need to convert on third down when we've got a nickle or dime package on the field so that they can go into their no huddle offense and start running. If our 3rdDownsRUs Defense™ shows up on Sunday, it'll be a long day. If we totally stuff their run game, however, their no huddle offense will just be a failed tactic. Arizona did it.On the other hand, a huge game by Lynch and some long, sustained drives to rest our D will go a long ways to offsetting the effects of their no huddle.

We should really lean on Lynch and Turbin to beat the Pats IMO.

Bottom line: Arizona did it in NE so we can do it in Seattle. Brady threw for over 300 yards and Kolb threw for 140. NE had 25 first downs to AZ's 16. NE had 140 more yards offense. How'd AZ do it? They held NE to FG's and scored TD's both times they got into the red zone. 4 sacks helped.