What do we do against the Pats no huddle?

seanoob

Reaction score
I hope the roar of the 12th man can neutralize some of what the Pats were doing at home on Sunday, but what do the Seahawks generally employ against the no huddle?

Hawker

Reaction score
I am certain we will be game planning against this all week. No doubt we have been victimized already by no-huddle offenses, forcing us to burn precious time outs.

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
First, be ready for the no huddle by being lined up properly quickly... so they don't catch you off guard you from the start on a quick hitting run/pass. Must stuff the quick hitting run and bubble screens... period. If that doesn't happen... its going to be a long day.

Once lined up properly quickly... THEN the D can move and shift presnap to disquise blitz and coverages. This tends to slow the snap of the ball as Brady will have to read the alignment/coverage before the snap. Hopefully, this presnap movement forces an audible... (12th man comes into play)... or a mistaken read by Brady.

Finally, be ready for 3 step hot routes... Db's must jam WR's and TE's within the first 5 yards to disrupt... force Brady to hold the ball (pass rush comes into play), a mis-timed throw, or a throw into a false window leading to an INT.

pehawk

Reaction score
Can we go no huddle defensively and on kickoffs to confuse them? Fight fire with fire, I say.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Actually, our team was purpose built for this game in the off season. We can go big nickel or big dime against their 2 TE sets, with 3 safeties, or even 4 if they also have a back in the backfield, and that personnel can stay on the field for both the run and the pass.

The no huddle is the least scary part of this game. Also, if we can force a few 3 and outs to start the game, New England is likely to ease up on the no huddle because then they will be risking having their defense on the field too much.

OP
OP
S

seanoob

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I'm gonna keep a close eye on how quickly we get lined up on defense and how we fare against the dreaded dink and dunks.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Another thing to combat the no huddle is to have different substitutions wait until the ball comes to our side of the field. If, for instance, a pass is caught near the sideline, then the substituting players need to be ready to get onto the field. (This is something Oregon does really well.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Packers tried to run the no huddle in the first half against us, it resulted in six sacks and Rodgers getting punched in the mouth for 30 minutes. So much so that the Packers had to resort to a more conventional offense in the 2nd half by bringing in the TE's to help block and run the ball.

The problem with the spread no huddle is that it only leaves 5 or 6 people in to block. Combine this with our corners manhandling NE's small WR's, and the result should be the same as the Packers game. Pain.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":26r93u5w said:
Just an FYI the Pats no Huddle is NOT nec a run up to the ball and snap it, but a lot of times they just line up again and let the play clock wind down as brady reads the D keeping the opposing team from substituting any players. 9Last week Denver got caught trying sub with like 15 men on the field still and it negated a sack of Brady which really hurt them.
We ran a similar thing last year, but it wasn't a good idea for our personnel. It isn't really a 2 minute offense or a hurry up, it is just a way to control the personnel the D gets to sub in and out.

However, lest we fail to notice, you guys ran nearly 90 plays on offense last week. Carolina ran about 55. It will be a battle of styles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3otcduga said:

The Hawks base defense is very good, so unlike most teams that MUST bring in nickel backs or an extra pass rusher, we do not. Our starting 11 defenders are sound and fast enough to counter this tactic.

Not saying the Pats offense won't move the ball, I think it's next to impossible to stop Brady entirely. But I do see the Hawks D making it a long day for the Pats offense.

IMO the game will be won or lost by whether the Hawks offense can put up more than 21 points. Which I'm having a hard time imagining, considering it hasn't happened yet this year.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1adlk0l1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1adlk0l1 said:
PatsFanNH":1adlk0l1 said:

The Hawks base defense is very good, so unlike most teams that MUST bring in nickel backs or an extra pass rusher, we do not. Our starting 11 defenders are sound and fast enough to counter this tactic.

Not saying the Pats offense won't move the ball, I think it's next to impossible to stop Brady entirely. But I do see the Hawks D making it a long day for the Pats offense.

IMO the game will be won or lost by whether the Hawks offense can put up more than 21 points. Which I'm having a hard time imagining, considering it hasn't happened yet this year.

Dallas game?

Special teams directly accounted for 7 of the 27 points.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":bo6lg8qv said:
Sgt. Largent":bo6lg8qv said:
PatsFanNH":bo6lg8qv said:

Dallas game?

Offense only scored 20 points in the Dallas game, and Dallas quit in the 2nd half like bitches. I wouldn't expect the same from a championship caliber NE team.

OP
OP
S

seanoob

Reaction score
Let's have a game like the Dallas game. Not really caring whether the D or the Offense scores. PatsFanNH did have a point about the Pats no huddle - especially as employed against the broncos on sunday. I don't want to see our players sidelined because they can't get on the field.

chrispy

Reaction score
If Brady can run the no-huddle effectively, it's a huge fail for the 12th Man.

The no-huddle requires calling plays and audibles at the line of scrimmage. If Clink is truly the loudest stadium in the league, that won't be possible throughout the entire game. If, however, the 12th Man gets discouraged that a fresh Pats offense (maybe with a scripted first drive) can drive the field, score, and possibly lead the game into the 2nd half, then there is reason to worry.

In my humble opinion, this game might really be impacted by the noise; much moreso than a few false starts.

The Radish

Reaction score
Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've seen many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

:les:

OP
OP
S

seanoob

Reaction score
Should I pass out cardboard megaphones in my section on Sunday?

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
The Radish":brh3838q said:
Remember Pats are one of the elite teams on their half time adjustments. I've seen many teams leading them at halftime get blown out in the 2nd half.

:les:
True. However, that appears to also be a strength of ours. It will be very interesting to see how the halftime adjustments work out.