Why all of the impatiences?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Impatience? Instant gratification? Maybe know your audience, dude. You may be content with 8-8. Some of us have supported this team without missing a season, for every year of the franchise's existence. I want to win. And I have no respect for fans who are 'okay' with 8 losses and mediocrity.

To each their own but we are of a different breed.

OP
OP
Nunya

Nunya

Reaction score
bestfightstory":16zdja5h said:
Impatience? Instant gratification? Maybe know your audience, dude. You may be content with 8-8. Some of us have supported this team without missing a season, for every year of the franchise's existence. I want to win. And I have no respect for fans who are 'okay' with 8 losses and mediocrity.

To each their own but we are of a different breed.

Please don't imply things out of context. I said I would be happy with being 8-8 IF it was working towards being a winning dynasty for years to come. If Wilson was a 3-4 year starting vet, then NO, I would not be happy with being 8-8 this season.

I also want to see the Seahawks win.....and, I also have been a year-to-year fan ever since the franchise was established.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
To the OP: there are several threads you could have squatted and done this in. Take a moment to scan even the first page of the Hawks forum.

+1 on NO hate of PC or RW here (by anyone here I believe). I've stated a raised brow in Pete's direction on the RW start decision, but "hate" towards either that is not.
Your thread is full of misinformation, get with the program is all I can suggest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nunya":365pbxvb said:
I said I would be happy with being 8-8 IF it was working towards being a winning dynasty for years to come. If Wilson was a 3-4 year starting vet, then NO, I would not be happy with being 8-8 this season.

I also want to see the Seahawks win.....and, I also have been a year-to-year fan ever since the franchise was established.

I think this is a dangerous mindset. There are no guarantees in the NFL, too many variables to assume we'll be good for years to come.

- injuries
- player changes every year
- performance fluctuations
- coaching continuity

The NFL is a win now league, you HAVE to put your best players on the field every single week. We don't know if the defense will be this good next year. We don't know if key players will leave via free agency. We don't know if the injury bug will jump up and bit us next year. We don't know if key players will be as good in future years as they are this year.

To say "let's let Wilson develop to the detriment of this year in hopes that he's really good in future years" is good way for people to lose their jobs if things don't work out.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I don't understand why some don't want to even see if Flynn could be the real deal. If you want to talk pipe dreams ir is far less likely that Wilson will become good enough in time for the playoffs to be effective than it is that Flynn could be what this team needs to be elite and it's not like he is going anywhere for the next four years minimum.

Next year will be the last year of many of our key players contracts. We won't likely keep them all so we could easily regress. We could possibly be missing our window right now.

Does anyone believe we have a legitimate shot at beating the Niners with our offense right now? The Niners are not the Panthers. We could get blown out. Sure Flynn might not change that but he just might also. You just don't know unless you try and Wilson will get better on or off the field. If you believe he won't then you are not being honest.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
A lot of the disagreement seems to stem from a fundamental difference of opinions in how QBs develop.

Some folks think QBs develop best on the bench.

These people are usually calling for Flynn. They think that his 4 years of bench sitting give him a veteran understanding of the game that will result in immediate improvement at the QB position. And they also believe that Wilson will develop by sitting. It's a best-case situation for them to have Flynn start and Wilson sit and learn.

Others folks think QBs need playing time to develop.

These people are usually insistent on sticking with Wilson as the starter. Wilson has more actual game experience at the college and pro levels now, and they feel that sitting him is wasting time. Additionally, they don't believe that Flynn's time on the bench means he is more prepared to lead a pro offense.

I fall into the second camp, and I don't think you have to look any further than our own Matt Hasselbeck for evidence. He sat for two years in the same Green Bay QB factory that Flynn hails from, and he still stunk it up in his first season as a starter. Only through playing time did he develop into the guy who led us to the SB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":215h6hi6 said:
I fall into the second camp, and I don't think you have to look any further than our own Matt Hasselbeck for evidence. He sat for two years in the same Green Bay QB factory that Flynn hails from, and he still stunk it up in his first season as a starter. Only through playing time did he develop into the guy who led us to the SB.

Also from the same QB factory came a QB named Aaron Rodgers, who was the MVP last year, and had no growing pains from holding a clipboard for years.

I have no problems with a starting a rookie, as long as said rookie is better equipped to run the offense than the other QB's on the roster. Those of us in the Flynn camp don't think Wilson is there yet, and is actually hurting our chances at making the playoffs in 2012.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bq5ku76y said:
volsunghawk":bq5ku76y said:

Also from the same QB factory came a QB named Aaron Rodgers, who was the MVP last year, and had no growing pains from holding a clipboard for years.

I have no problems with a starting a rookie, as long as said rookie is better equipped to run the offense than the other QB's on the roster. Those of us in the Flynn camp don't think Wilson is there yet, and is actually hurting our chances at making the playoffs in 2012.

Also, Aaron Brooks. Notice what happens when that backup QB leaves the QB factory and goes elsewhere, as opposed to being a 1st round draft choice who isn't sitting to develop, but instead just waiting out a HOFer's last years.

I don't think Wilson is immune to rookie struggles, but I don't think that Flynn is immune from struggling with a new team and unfamiliar supporting cast, either. And I think Wilson's talent dwarfs (no pun intended) Flynn's. It's a sure thing that his work ethic does. In other words, I think Wilson and Flynn may be neck and neck when it comes to who the best QB is right now, but I believe that Wilson will improve faster than Flynn and deliver better results, and he must play to develop.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Throwdown":1p1eq4xj said:
Largent80":1p1eq4xj said:
This place would have been unbearable if we had lost last Sunday Throw, and I think that the OP was stating was was obvious in the past week before that game.

And by the way...... :2:

I would've taken the longest hiatus EVER

I'd be banned today for throwing around F bombs in the main forum.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ft82puc said:
volsunghawk":1ft82puc said:

Unless you count being on a team that goes 6-10 as growing pains.

OP
OP
Nunya

Nunya

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":3pyp2s5v said:
To the OP: there are several threads you could have squatted and done this in. Take a moment to scan even the first page of the Hawks forum.

I already apologizes for that. Please don't make me apologize again, I hate apologizing....just ask my wife.

Yes, I was a bad boy for posting before reading, but I was so excited to be a .net member. :th2thumbs:

+1 on NO hate of PC or RW here (by anyone here I believe). I've stated a raised brow in Pete's direction on the RW start deI already apologized for thatcision, but "hate" towards either that is not.
Your thread is full of misinformation, get with the program is all I can suggest.

I'm not sure what "misinformation" you are talking about. I thought I was clear that I wasn't necessarily talking about this forum. I was talking about Seahawk forums as a whole (and there are a lot of them). The hate for PC is there....believe me.

OP
OP
Nunya

Nunya

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":h45cew6u said:
Nunya":h45cew6u said:
I said I would be happy with being 8-8 IF it was working towards being a winning dynasty for years to come. If Wilson was a 3-4 year starting vet, then NO, I would not be happy with being 8-8 this season.

I think this is a dangerous mindset. There are no guarantees in the NFL, too many variables to assume we'll be good for years to come.

- injuries
- player changes every year
- performance fluctuations
- coaching continuity

The NFL is a win now league, you HAVE to put your best players on the field every single week. We don't know if the defense will be this good next year. We don't know if key players will leave via free agency. We don't know if the injury bug will jump up and bit us next year. We don't know if key players will be as good in future years as they are this year.

To say "let's let Wilson develop to the detriment of this year in hopes that he's really good in future years" is good way for people to lose their jobs if things don't work out.

If people thought that way, NOBODY would every draft a rookie QB until there was no other choice. A rookie QB needs time to develop. Some of them can come right onto the field and preform very well, but most can't.

OP
OP
Nunya

Nunya

Reaction score
volsunghawk":cs5dtmbr said:
Sgt. Largent":cs5dtmbr said:
volsunghawk":cs5dtmbr said:

Also, Aaron Brooks. Notice what happens when that backup QB leaves the QB factory and goes elsewhere, as opposed to being a 1st round draft choice who isn't sitting to develop, but instead just waiting out a HOFer's last years.

I don't think Wilson is immune to rookie struggles, but I don't think that Flynn is immune from struggling with a new team and unfamiliar supporting cast, either. And I think Wilson's talent dwarfs (no pun intended) Flynn's. It's a sure thing that his work ethic does. In other words, I think Wilson and Flynn may be neck and neck when it comes to who the best QB is right now, but I believe that Wilson will improve faster than Flynn and deliver better results, and he must play to develop.

You said it better then I could.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nunya":2knvvaio said:
If people thought that way, NOBODY would every draft a rookie QB until there was no other choice. A rookie QB needs time to develop. Some of them can come right onto the field and preform very well, but most can't.

Right most can't, so you agree with me. There's a reason that in the history of the league, only a handful of rookie QB's have performed well right out of college.

We can talk all day about upside and who gives us a better chance of winning in future years, but you'll never convince me that Wilson gives us the best chance to win now. This is evident by his poor passer rating, inability to score in the red zone and the Hawks #31 rank in passing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1etw5xd9 said:
I don't understand why some don't want to even see if Flynn could be the real deal. If you want to talk pipe dreams ir is far less likely that Wilson will become good enough in time for the playoffs to be effective than it is that Flynn could be what this team needs to be elite and it's not like he is going anywhere for the next four years minimum.

Next year will be the last year of many of our key players contracts. We won't likely keep them all so we could easily regress. We could possibly be missing our window right now.

Does anyone believe we have a legitimate shot at beating the Niners with our offense right now? The Niners are not the Panthers. We could get blown out. Sure Flynn might not change that but he just might also. You just don't know unless you try and Wilson will get better on or off the field. If you believe he won't then you are not being honest.

Correct me if I am wrong RnH, but when some wanted to see what they had in Whitehurst, didn't you, as an ardent Hasselbeck supporter, point out quite often that we needed to trust the guys who get to see them both in practice every day?
And if that was you, what changed?

OP
OP
Nunya

Nunya

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vp3prpy said:
Nunya":2vp3prpy said:

Right most can't, so you agree with me. There's a reason that in the history of the league, only a handful of rookie QB's have performed well right out of college.

We can talk all day about upside and who gives us a better chance of winning in future years, but you'll never convince me that Wilson gives us the best chance to win now. This is evident by his poor passer rating, inability to score in the red zone and the Hawks #31 rank in passing.

You are right, we COULD talk about it all day, and I'm not convinced that Flynn would give us any better chance then Wilson. The inability to score is definitely a concern, but the stats are meaningless to me. Stats will only tell you what you want to see. I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

OP
OP
Nunya

Nunya

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2noufr8r said:
Nunya":2noufr8r said:

I guess to elaborate a little more (I have time at the moment and am bored)....if I was the coach, and based on my limited knowledge, I would have started Flynn at the start of the season. My reasoning is that Flynn was the more experienced QB at the time, even though it was not much more experience. However, the coaches have a lot more info then I do and they decided to start Wilson for what ever reason.

Wilson has not done too bad. He has hit a learning curve that one would expect from a rookie, but overall, he hasn't done bad. As I said the TDs are a concern, but I believe that will eventually be worked out. I base this on the fact that they offense CAN move the ball.

The reason I am against "changing horse" is that the whole team is affected. Flynn will have his own "learning curve" he will have to overcome. The whole offensive dynamics change. The OC will have to relearn what plays work best for Flynn vs Wilson. The blocking scheme may have to change. And the routes may have to change. We could be faced with the possibility of having to start from square one....all on a "what-if....could-be" possibility. I do not think the Seahawks would come out ahead by scraping any offensive plan built to date.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":d45vyi67 said:
RichNhansom":d45vyi67 said:

Correct me if I am wrong RnH, but when some wanted to see what they had in Whitehurst, didn't you, as an ardent Hasselbeck supporter, point out quite often that we needed to trust the guys who get to see them both in practice every day?

So, did everything switch? Those who wanted to see Whitehurst (me included) are now onboard with keeping Wilson playing while the ardent supporters of Matt want to see the back up?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1ihaevxe said:
Scottemojo":1ihaevxe said:
RichNhansom":1ihaevxe said:

So, did everything switch? Those who wanted to see Whitehurst (me included) are now onboard with keeping Wilson playing while the ardent supporters of Matt want to see the back up?
Bizarro world.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Largent80":2i6eqfyd said:
Here is the deal. This team is very young. We should be good for years to come.

But in this pushbutton world, people "want it now". Unfortunately this is a game and not a keyboard.
AMEN BROTHA!!!!
It is going to take a season or two for Wilson to develop into a top notch QB. He might start clicking by the middle of this season for all we know. I am patient because this young team is going to be bad ass! Plus, our division is getting tough and the whole league is scared of the NFC West. It's gonna be a fun ride. :th2thumbs: