This week is Wilson's week to step up.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
This week is Wilson's week to step up.
Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 am
  • We absolutely will not beat the Patriots without better offensive production. Their defense, and their offense both play into Seattle's weaknesses. They can stop the run but they can't defend the pass very well, and their offense uses a ton of no huddle, plus they are known for dinking and dunking the ball up the field --- both things that our defense has struggled against. Hopefully our noise level can slow down the no-huddle but it still will be a challenge.

That said because of these factors I sense that the Patriots are going to score over 20 points. Wilson did a great job of managing the game last week, however this week he will need to do more than simply manage. This is the best offense in the NFL, and chances are our defense won't be able to stop them all game long. In this game we might be counting on Wilson heavily.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Re: This week is Wilson's week to step up.
Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am
  • There is a post with this title every week, hahaha.

Wilson will get it. THey seemed to have opened it up a bit to Wilson this week and he had over 200 yards. I think he'll be fine.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:29 am
  • SundayNiteBlackout wrote:There is a post with this title every week, hahaha.

Wilson will get it. THey seemed to have opened it up a bit to Wilson this week and he had over 200 yards. I think he'll be fine.

Oh -- he did a great job of managing the game, and against most opponents that is all we will need to win the game. This week is different though. We're up against the number 1 offense in the NFL, and not only that the best QB. As I was saying their offensive strengths play right into our weaknesses. We can't just settle for fieldgoals in this game.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am
  • SundayNiteBlackout wrote:There is a post with this title every week, hahaha.

Lol, I was going to say the same thing. But no, it's THIS week that's his week to step up. Until next week, that is. Then we play the Niners and of course, it will be Wilson's time to step up.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:37 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    SundayNiteBlackout wrote:There is a post with this title every week, hahaha.

Lol, I was going to say the same thing. But no, it's THIS week that's his week to step up. Until next week, that is. Then we play the Niners and of course, it will be Wilson's time to step up.

I think Wilson can beat the Niners doing what he did against Carolina minus the turnovers. Our corners matchup well against their WR's, and it's unlikely Gore will be able to run it against us. That game will be a low scoring, nose bleeding affair against the top two defenses in the NFL. That game will come down to "who plays defense better" in my opinion. This game, this week is the one game I think that Wilson will have to do more than just manage the game.
    Last edited by Spin Doctor on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:37 am
  • A great game from the offense, defense, and special teams is what will get us a win THIS week and every other week! Everyone has to 'step up' and make plays when they are presented...EVERYONE!
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm
  • If not, then next week for sure. I'd rather beat the 9ers than ANY other team this year.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:50 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:

Oh -- he did a great job of managing the game, and against most opponents that is all we will need to win the game. This week is different though. We're up against the number 1 offense in the NFL, and not only that the best QB. As I was saying their offensive strengths play right into our weaknesses. We can't just settle for fieldgoals in this game.

I thought the same thing about the Packers. What did they get, 12 points?

I agree in principle with what you are saying, but predicting what he has to do is kinda pointless. He has to do one thing, get the ball to his playmakers. Whether that is with pin point passing or handing the ball off 50 times is an unknown as of right now.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Just wondering... Supposed to rain Sunday. Doesn't that usually mean it's harder to pass, so teams depend more on running?

Maybe the rain won't mean anything to an experienced QB like Brady, but it might shake Wilson up a bit. Okay, I know we don't have RAIN rain, but just sayin'.

Whaddya think?
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I'd have to agree, this game does play into our weaknesses. On defense it isn't a huge weakness, but is one big enough to allow the Patriots to score more points than or anemic offense.

Wilson will have to lead scoring drives, and not just for field goals. The offense has to stop depending on the defense to spot it great field position. 9 or our 18 scoring drives have come from drives started on the opponents side of the field. We need to convert 3rd down, outside of last week that just hasn't been happening. Is it also to much to ask for an end of the stupid penalties?

The Packers and Panthers may have only scored 1 TD, but it was also almost more than enough for the win.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

I thought the same thing about the Packers. What did they get, 12 points?

I agree in principle with what you are saying, but predicting what he has to do is kinda pointless. He has to do one thing, get the ball to his playmakers. Whether that is with pin point passing or handing the ball off 50 times is an unknown as of right now.

The Packers also are struggling offensively this year
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• No this is the week we get behind Wilson.
    Come on, get with the times.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Does Russell have to step up "big time" this Sunday....you bet! However, we will need our Defensive Backfield to hold on to those interceptions this Sunday. We almost had two last Sunday. Plus...we will need pressure from our front four to hurry Mr. Brady. Then again, I expect to see a lot of running attempts as well. This will be a "mind game" for the Head Coaches.
    He who makes the fewest mistakes.....wins!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Tech Worlds wrote:No this is the week we get behind Wilson.

If we get behind him and just give him a little lift it will help him to step up. Full circle.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Every week is the week Wilson has to step up, until he actually steps up...
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• MrCarey wrote:Every week is the week Wilson has to step up, until he actually steps up...

I believe that he has taken a step up and forward in each of the last three games. Does he really have to throw for 300 yards to be a "real" NFL quarterback?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:No this is the week we get behind Wilson.

If we get behind him and just give him a little lift it will help him to step up. Full circle.

I see what you did right there.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I'm just waiting for his breakout game. I saw much improvement last week.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

• If our offensive pass protection holds up, not a problem I think.

If the O line has a hard time holding pockets and lanes open, it's gonna be a tough game.

It boils down to this, if there are no holding penalties, no sacks, hurries or rushes, we win this game easy assuming Beastmode is in full force when called on.

The defense will be just fine assuming the offense doesn't dig themselves a big hole.

GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

• As awesome as it would be to see Russell have his "Arise Rodimus Prime" moment of the season, I would be 10X happier to see the hawks win 2 - 0 with a safety.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

• I thought his receivers weren't getting separation?? Where did that great observation go?
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:I thought his receivers weren't getting separation?? Where did that great observation go?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I said it. I was at the Cardinals game, it was definitely true there.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Wilson did throw a lot vs the POS Panthers defense and he looked fine doing that. not sure that he can light up the Patriots secondary though - they are much toughter nut to crack.

I appreciate his scrambling abilities, but if anything, he needs to learn how to remain in the pocket and dump it off to open RB/FB/other recievers for a minor gain instead of running all over the field seeking downfield opportunities. I watched the game last night on shortcuts and saw plenty of obvious opportunities for a quick dump off that he missed.
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

• Something I could see happening this week is Wilson putting up good numbers in a loss. I know we all love our D, but there are valid reasons to fear New England's offense. And if New England manages to get up a couple of TDs early, that will likely force the Seahawks into abandoning the run-heavy offense we've seen thus far this year and embrace the passing game more.

I can see an increased number of attempts leading to big yardage from Wilson, and even multiple TDs as the Seahawks try to keep pace with the league's #1 offense. It would not at all surprise me to see Wilson put up 300 passing yards on 40+ attempts, with 2+ TDs, and maybe a pick or two... and STILL see people bashing him because we didn't get the win.

Of course, that kind of game would likely send Carroll into a crippling depression. :mrgreen:

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Our defense will get the job done with #12 as a huge factor. Russell will likely step up but this may be the breakout game for our wideouts. The Pats secondary is a shorter ball-hawking group (Devan McCourtney and T Wilson both have 2 INTs) that can be beat with our receivers. I see a big game for Rice given the progress he's made with Russell. Pat's have a trivial 9 sacks total after 5 games but Russell has to have pocket presence and also trust his line. Hopefully he picks up on Moon's remarks about stepping up into the pocket for both passing angles as well as the occasional QB scramble. It's unlikely the Pats will blitz as much as the Cards did on us given their secondary. The patriot's ground game has been very good but it plays off the threat to pass.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• To the statement that some of the WRs might not be getting separation, I say whatever, very possible. The troubling part to me is it appears RW is having to will this group into being successful. Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• HawKnPeppa wrote:Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?

I didn't read that story like that at all. I read it more like Wilson seeing something and wanting to point it out so he and the WRs would be on the same page when it came to that situation. Not like he's downing their preparation or work ethic, but more like he wants to make sure they're seeing the same things.

It echoes something I read that Peyton Manning said after the Broncos lost to the Pats last week:

"I think we're building something here, and it doesn't happen right away. There are things and goals we're trying to get to, and the only way to get to them is to play games, to see together the different situations and scenarios that occur during games, and to see them together."

This is another reason I think Wilson will improve with each game. He and his receivers are developing chemistry and continuing to learn to work together. That takes time and repetition, and sometimes it takes communication like what Wilson did with the notes.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Should just cut & paste this string to keep from having to repost it,,,,,again.

:roll:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• volsunghawk wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?

I didn't read that story like that at all. I read it more like Wilson seeing something and wanting to point it out so he and the WRs would be on the same page when it came to that situation. Not like he's downing their preparation or work ethic, but more like he wants to make sure they're seeing the same things.

It echoes something I read that Peyton Manning said after the Broncos lost to the Pats last week:

"I think we're building something here, and it doesn't happen right away. There are things and goals we're trying to get to, and the only way to get to them is to play games, to see together the different situations and scenarios that occur during games, and to see them together."

This is another reason I think Wilson will improve with each game. He and his receivers are developing chemistry and continuing to learn to work together. That takes time and repetition, and sometimes it takes communication like what Wilson did with the notes.

To piggyback on this, you want your QB to notice WR tendencies, because sure as hell the other team coaches are looking for the same, but obviously, they want to exploit those weaknesses. Being able to sell what's seen on tape and then subvert it is a great way to run an offense, no?

Also, seeing such tendencies points to how well Wilson is learning the game because he's noticing these kind of fine details. That's a rather huge plus, isn't it?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?

To piggyback on this, you want your QB to notice WR tendencies, because sure as hell the other team coaches are looking for the same, but obviously, they want to exploit those weaknesses. Being able to sell what's seen on tape and then subvert it is a great way to run an offense, no?

Also, seeing such tendencies points to how well Wilson is learning the game because he's noticing these kind of fine details. That's a rather huge plus, isn't it?

Yes, yes and yes. I really can't imagine anyone doubting Russel's work ethic. For that matter, it really surprises me that people are questioning the judgment of PC/JS with regard to keeping Wilson our starter. Although I was on the start Flynn bandwagon during preseason, RW has done more than enough to impress me as he keeps getting better every week. If he keeps up this rate of progress, he should be all world by the time we get to the superbowl this year! :)

And, alhtough the Pats scare me some, they really don't scare me more than any other team we have played. I will take the Pats at home over most other teams on the road. MAKE IT LOUD 12, MAKE IT LOUD!
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 am
  • Okay, the title of this post just DARES me to make a Wilson joke and try as I might I just can't resist:

Obviously, Hawks fans have subconcious inadequacy issues with Wilsons height. Note the title of the post:

Wilson's week to step up

or these quotes:

If we get behind him and just give him a little lift it will help him to step up

Arise

To quell their subconcious feelings of inadequacy, these fans try to point out the opponents own inadequacies:

The Pats secondary is a shorter ball-hawking group

or they try to find ways to give themselves hope:

Hopefully he picks up on Moon's remarks about stepping up

And some even have suggestions on how to overcome Wilson's perceived inadequate height issue:

piggyback on this

Personally, I think if he needs to step up, then give him a stool 8) /snark
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• I didn't realize all the Freudian slips until your post Salish. How small-minded of me :oops:
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• He's been stepping up since the draft, and the stairway goes to Heaven :179417:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

• Bigpumpkin wrote:
    MrCarey wrote:Every week is the week Wilson has to step up, until he actually steps up...

I believe that he has taken a step up and forward in each of the last three games. Does he really have to throw for 300 yards to be a "real" NFL quarterback?

Yes, yes he does. Especially when so many others in the league are doing it, including Alex Smith.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• I think Pete will open the playbook and finally unleash the madness; Pass, run, run.

^reads sarcastic but I'm actually serious. I think to have success in this match-up, we need to be in a lot of 2nd and 4s, 3rd and 1s. And if we are on NE's side of the field, but out of field goal range...that's 4 down territory to me. Yes, I understand giving NE a short field is problematic but NE is a problem regardless of distance to goal. I'm not suggesting any 4th and longs...but if it's 4th and less than 5, between the 50 and 40, I say we go for it.

IMO, we have everything to win, nothing to lose this Sunday and the pressure is on NE, not Seattle.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Wilson did a great job of managing the game last week, however this week he will need to do more than simply manage.

No he did not. In a game where our defense was dominating beyond any reasonable expecation, Wilson still managed to give the Panthers the lead.
    Fearless Frog
    NET Bench Warmer

• Fearless Frog wrote:
    Wilson did a great job of managing the game last week, however this week he will need to do more than simply manage.

No he did not. In a game where our defense was dominating beyond any reasonable expecation, Wilson still managed to give the Panthers the lead.

Yes, in his fifth game, Wilson finally threw a pick that was entirely on him.

Your positivity is a breath of fresh air on this forum. Thank you for that. Thank you so much.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Fearless Frog wrote:
    Wilson did a great job of managing the game last week, however this week he will need to do more than simply manage.

Your positivity is a breath of fresh air on this forum. Thank you for that. Thank you so much.

I'm sorry if I'm not living up to your standards of being a blind optimist. He threw a crippling pick-6 in a tight defensive game. He did not lead a single touchdown drive that wasn't a result of a defensive turnover. If Brandon Browner doesn't force that fumble or make that tackle at the 1 yard line, we almost certainly lose this game and the furor over Wilson's incompetence would remain loud and clear.
    Fearless Frog
    NET Bench Warmer

• Fearless Frog wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Fearless Frog wrote:

I'm sorry if I'm not living up to your standards of being a blind optimist. He threw a crippling pick-6 in a tight defensive game. He did not lead a single touchdown drive that wasn't a result of a defensive turnover. If Brandon Browner doesn't force that fumble or make that tackle at the 1 yard line, we almost certainly lose this game and the furor over Wilson's incompetence would remain loud and clear.

The real question is: Which booted poster are you? VernDog? For some reason, I doubt you're as fearless as your namesake might suggest.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:I'm sorry if I'm not living up to your standards of being a blind optimist. He threw a crippling pick-6 in a tight defensive game. He did not lead a single touchdown drive that wasn't a result of a defensive turnover. If Brandon Browner doesn't force that fumble or make that tackle at the 1 yard line, we almost certainly lose this game and the furor over Wilson's incompetence would remain loud and clear.

The real question is: Which booted poster are you? VernDog? For some reason, I doubt you're as fearless as your namesake might suggest.[/quote]

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this personal attack in absence of a valid response?
    Fearless Frog
    NET Bench Warmer

• Fearless Frog wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Fearless Frog wrote:I'm sorry if I'm not living up to your standards of being a blind optimist. He threw a crippling pick-6 in a tight defensive game. He did not lead a single touchdown drive that wasn't a result of a defensive turnover. If Brandon Browner doesn't force that fumble or make that tackle at the 1 yard line, we almost certainly lose this game and the furor over Wilson's incompetence would remain loud and clear.

The real question is: Which booted poster are you? VernDog? For some reason, I doubt you're as fearless as your namesake might suggest.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this personal attack in absence of a valid response?

Yeah, thought not. No one here is dumb enough to believe that after 5 days on this board, you've decided it would be best to 'throw your weight around' and rehash a bunch of Russell Wilson arguments. Yeah, you're totally not a former poster trolling. Sure fooled me.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Yeah, thought not. No one here is dumb enough to believe that after 5 days on this board, you've decided it would be best to 'throw your weight around' and rehash a bunch of Russell Wilson arguments. Yeah, you're totally not a former poster trolling. Sure fooled me.
    [/quote][/quote]

How ridiculous. So any person who doesn't blindly think Russell Wilson is the best thing since sliced bread is a troll? Fearless Frog has been the handle of all my message board accounts everywhere. I've posted on Field Gulls since 2008.

I repeat: Your personal attacks without a valid rebuttal just proves that I am right.
    Fearless Frog
    NET Bench Warmer

• I really hope RW steps up and hands the rock to the beast 30 times and Turbin another 10. Are you guys serious, a shootout between RW and Tom Brady, no thank you. Don't like those odds right now.
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information