So do we go after a #1 WR? like right now?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Like right now?

This isn't the MLB trade window, this is the NFL. It's very hard to go out mid season and get a good player without giving up first round draft picks. Teams are built in the off season, so the WR ship has sailed for 2012.

Rice has played better, and hopefully Baldwin starts to get back into the rhythm of the offense. Combine this with Tate playing pretty well and our WR corp is coming around. The one glaring weakness is Edwards, he hasn't played up to where we need the other WR opposite Rice to play. He HAS to make more plays.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I haven't been that blown away by any WR from the upcoming draft class, then again I haven't had TV at my house in about two weeks...so I haven't gotten a chance to really watch many college games.

Does anyone that keeps track of college games have any potential players that can come in and make an immediate impact next season?

I kind of like the idea of another pass rusher, maybe even another LB. Can never have too much defense!

Largent80

Reaction score
Bailey from W.Virginia seems to make a lot of plays, but we are talking next years draft.

The Hawks are set team wise for this year. I do not want to give up draft picks at this point, and the more time RW gets with our current group the better they will get as the year progresses.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2soe020a said:
Mike Wallace may be available next off season, and considering he's having a down year so far, he may be available for a lot cheaper than we expect.
Assuming he's franchised, is he worth two #1 picks of the mid-to-late round variety?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't think we should make a trade or anything unless the value is right, and it almost certainly won't be. But in the draft? Yea absolutely I would take one high unless we have a shot at a star QB. It's a huge need

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
A-Dog":1r1zs51q said:
Sarlacc83":1r1zs51q said:
Mike Wallace may be available next off season, and considering he's having a down year so far, he may be available for a lot cheaper than we expect.
Assuming he's franchised, is he worth two #1 picks of the mid-to-late round variety?

No, but my point was more that the Steelers might not franchise him again after this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":123z8th8 said:
Sarlacc83":123z8th8 said:

After spending a lot of money on Rice, I don't see Carroll and Schneider going after another high price free agent. But now that our defense, O-Line and backup RB is set, I do see them spending top picks on WR's next year.

Digsbone

Reaction score
I believe we have good talent and great potential at WR position, I think there's been some great play at the WR position. There also have been key drops, (cost us a game) that make me want to cry and its hard to keep the faith without saying the grass is greener somewhere else and try to find a WR (via trade). I believe our WRs have a great opportunity to show off there skill set this week and continue getting better as a unit and then we can continue building through the draft.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
GeorgeKush":1z3b1p9r said:
would be nice if we could get hunter or allen in the draft. cordarelle patterson and d. rogers will probably be available in the 2nd or later and both have potential to be #1 guys too. i wouldn't be mad if we ended up with marquess either ;)
Don't think he's coming out the next draft, but I want "The Black Mamba" from the Oregon Ducks, he's thunder in the 40, and lightning after that...A TD machine.
Doesn't matter how you get him the rock, because he's a YAC freak.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I'd really like to see us take a top tier WR in the draft next off season, but I don't want to force it now. Rice is looking like a true #1 so far this year and i'd venture to say that Tate is in the midst of a breakout season. Round those two out with Baldwin and Miller along with Edwards and Obo for depth, I think we have a pretty decent WR corps. Not exactly a gaggle of All Pro's there but they are definately not terrible.

If we can add a Julio Jones type in the draft, we'll be three different kinds of dangerous on offense next year.

sutz

Reaction score
Right now? No. IMHO the cost/value ratio of anybody that might be available now is way on the wrong side of good.

Next draft? Sure. I'm not fond of spending 1's on WRs, but I could be talked into it for the right guy.

Meanwhile, I'll go with the posters above who explain how our current crew ain't that bad. And, there is some real upside there, too, as most of them ain't over-the-hill old, either.

To act rashly now would be foolish IMO.