Deon Branch: "It really doesn't rain that much in Seattle"

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

So your defense is looking top notch. You guys probably have the biggest CBs in the league. The pass rush seems nasty too, especially at home. I think Aaron Rodgers' counselor was working overtime after that Packers game to help him overcome PTSD (Post Traumatic Sack Disorder).

Things are pretty good here in New England in case your wondering (except for the aforementioned rain). Leaves are turning color, gas is still under $4 a gallon, the Pats are leading the division and the Jets are a wonderful carnival of misfits.

Should be a good game. The Pats have decided to run some sort of hurry up on offense on Amphetimines. If you have any interest here's a pretty good article on what they are trying to do on that side of the ball: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... story.html

Two warnings: 1. It's kinda long. You could probably finish half your Venti from Starbucks by the time you're done reading it. 2. They seem to have borrowed much of their philosophy from Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks, so reading it might make some of you Huskies/Cougars fans throw up a little in your mouths.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Pats are better than last year but that's not saying much. They seem to be able to get better pressure on the QB when just rushing four. Secondary is still a concern but no team's perfect. I'm assuming they plan on bottling up Lynch and taking their chances with Wilson beating them.

By the way, I hear that stadium of your is pretty loud. Is it loud like, a wife yelling at her husband to take the garbage out or loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with the cleaning lady?
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• PatsAddict wrote:Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

So your defense is looking top notch. You guys probably have the biggest CBs in the league. The pass rush seems nasty too, especially at home. I think Aaron Rodgers' counselor was working overtime after that Packers game to help him overcome PTSD (Post Traumatic Sack Disorder).

Things are pretty good here in New England in case your wondering (except for the aforementioned rain). Leaves are turning color, gas is still under $4 a gallon, the Pats are leading the division and the Jets are a wonderful carnival of misfits.

Should be a good game. The Pats have decided to run some sort of hurry up on offense on Amphetimines. If you have any interest here's a pretty good article on what they are trying to do on that side of the ball: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... story.html

Two warnings: 1. It's kinda long. You could probably finish half your Venti from Starbucks by the time you're done reading it. 2. They seem to have borrowed much of their philosophy from Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks, so reading it might make some of you Huskies/Cougars fans throw up a little in your mouths.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Pats are better than last year but that's not saying much. They seem to be able to get better pressure on the QB when just rushing four. Secondary is still a concern but no team's perfect. I'm assuming they plan on bottling up Lynch and taking their chances with Wilson beating them.

By the way, I hear that stadium of your is pretty loud. Is it loud like, a wife yelling at her husband to take the garbage out or loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with the cleaning lady?

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with her sister.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Like a hundred thousand drunk sorority girls, just turned down an octave.
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    PatsAddict wrote:Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with his sister.
    slargent4ever
    NET Starter

• :2: Thanks for visiting. We always welcome civil opposing fans here.

Just like most young teams the Hawks are still trying to get the offense in gear, the real matchup will be our D against Brady and Co.

Our defense is getting better by the game and are pretty stingy about allowing TD's so far.

If there were anyone in the league to change that it is Brady.

Should be an entertaining game for sure.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Or Mom.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• I recently saw figures on a History Channel show that Seattle isn't in the top ten of rainy citys.

37" per year average.

The unique thing about a lot of Seattle rain is its ability to have such a fine mist it goes through the weave of your clothes getting you wet but not your clothes.

True story.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    PatsAddict wrote:Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

I saw what you did there.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• PatsAddict wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

I saw what you did there.

slargent4ever's post was better.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• ParisPC07 wrote:Like a hundred thousand drunk sorority girls, just turned down an octave.

Now that seems more annoying than loud.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• Largent80 wrote::2: Thanks for visiting. We always welcome civil opposing fans here.

Just like most young teams the Hawks are still trying to get the offense in gear, the real matchup will be our D against Brady and Co.

Our defense is getting better by the game and are pretty stingy about allowing TD's so far.

You guys get uncivil opposing fans? Let me guess, uppity Rams fans. Those guys are the worst.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• I like these Pats fans better than our home boys from San Fran...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• The Radish wrote:I recently saw figures on a History Channel show that Seattle isn't in the top ten of rainy citys.

37" per year average.

The unique thing about a lot of Seattle rain is its ability to have such a fine mist it goes through the weave of your clothes getting you wet but not your clothes.

True story.

If I remember correctly I also saw on The History Channel thast Seattle has some sort of underground lost city. That seems a little creepy to me.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• The standard comment made is from opposing players that say "you can't even hear in the huddle."

And as those of us that have attended games at Seahawks Stadium I assure you that the noise of the crowd there is not heard...

its felt! A vibration of your entire body. It has to be experienced to be understood. Buck & Aikman have commented on it everytime they've been here.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• PatsAddict wrote:
    The Radish wrote:I recently saw figures on a History Channel show that Seattle isn't in the top ten of rainy citys.

37" per year average.

True story.

If I remember correctly I also saw on The History Channel thast Seattle has some sort of underground lost city. That seems a little creepy to me.

Yessir we do!

Believe it or not, it rains in Miami more than it does here.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• PatsAddict wrote:Is this true? Deon said it on the local Boston radio station up here and I'm looking for confirmation. It's been raining pretty much every day for the past two weeks in New England and I'm hating it.

We are actually in one one of driest stretches in the history of the Northwest right now. Too lazy to look up the correct numbers, but it's barely rained a drop for 3 months.
    brendonkuhn
    NET Practice Squad

• PatsAddict wrote:
    Largent80 wrote::2: Thanks for visiting. We always welcome civil opposing fans here.

You guys get uncivil opposing fans? Let me guess, uppity Rams fans. Those guys are the worst.

Cardinal fans with their bottle crunching...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• To steal a Robert Cray line... The forecast calls for PAIN. :evil: (and rain) :D
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• [quote="The Radish"] its felt! A vibration of your entire body. It has to be experienced to be understood. quote]

That's the exact line I used on my wife when I first met her.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• I do not live in seattle , and i never been there . :(

with that said it seems like during game times since Qwest Field was built it has only rained ONCE to my knowledge during a game .

I wonder if there is a way to find that out . Im sure its misty at times in Seattle but it really has only rained once. Deion Branch is correct.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• This year we have probably had the best weather in the country. While it was a record ridiculous heat wave for months everywhere else, we were enjoying 70 degree, sometimes overcast days until it got consistently sunny. Now we have barely had any rain for months, and most days are cloudless things of beauty. Yea it rains a lot from November to April, and some years it can be excessive, but the reputation far exceeds reality.

As far as the noise, when the hawks are putting an exciting team on the field like they are presently doing, I would guess that it is louder than any other stadium in the world. Like, ear splitting at times
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• EastCoastHawksFan wrote:I do not live in seattle , and i never been there . :(

with that said it seems like during game times since Qwest Field was built it has only rained ONCE to my knowledge during a game .

I wonder if there is a way to find that out . Im sure its misty at times in Seattle but it really has only rained once. Deion Branch is correct.

No that is definitely not true. I have been to a few games where it was raining pretty hard. The shit show against Washington last year comes to mind. That was a torrential downpour.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Its the clouds that kill you, not the rain. Once summer ends, the clouds never do. Its been absolutely perfect the past few months though, something like 75 days without rain. But, I think its due to end this weekend so we might be in store for the stereotypical Seattle weather on Sunday.

The stadium is as loud as any stadium will get, but if anyone is equipped to deal with it, it's your team. But if our D makes some plays early, the snowball effect can be very real in that place.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Seattle had no rain in the month of August a record broken that goes back to the earliest times of weather keeping. Not sure they had much in September which is normally Seattle's best weather month.

Not sure how many times its rained on game day, I think a couple of times. I remember one year in December going to Seattle for a game and it being rainy.

I remember that game because Seahawkgal was here from Michigan and showed the wife and I the neat lap robes you could buy at the team store. We stopped and bought one on the way to our seats. Thanks again Andrea.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Believe it or not, it rains in Miami more than it does here.

True, but in Miami it rains six inches in an hour, then the sun comes back out for a month. In Seattle it rains sideways for two straight weeks and makes you want to slit your wrists.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• You'll have to excuse us all for being a bit cheery over the weather, since we just finished the best few months of weather we have. It's true that we do not have as much rain by volume as you would think, but that is because it rarely rains very hard. On the other hand from Mid October - June we will get overcast skies and drizzle. Most people care more about how often it rains than they do about volume, which is why we have the reputation for rain.

Every team we play attempts to shut down our running game and force our unproven/inconsistent passing game to make plays. Carolina was basically stacking the box all game. Sometimes we succeed with it anyway though, as was the case last year vs. Baltimore. We had a small lead with not much time remaining, the entire planet knew we were going to be running the ball from there on out, and we still managed to get first downs on the ground to put the game away. Tom Brady may be the QB you want most when trailing in a game, but the Seahawks are one of the teams you would want to be trailing to least.

Of the handful of stadiums I have been to there is no comparison to the noise at CenturyLink. There is no doubt an element of stadium design to this, but it has more to do with the fan base. We take pride in the 12th man and leading the league in false starts, and recently with our offensive struggles we feel that our defense needs to win games for us. Since we have not been able to put up very many points, every snap on defense feels like a key play in the game where surrendering any points could result in a loss. We'll be making more noise in the first quarter on 2nd and 6 than most other fan bases would be making in the fourth quarter on 3rd and 10.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• I really have to make at least one migration to the Great Northwest at least once in my lifetime.... Century Link just seems too awesome not to go there especially on game day.
    Destination 2013 @NYG *accomplished on 12/15/2013*
    Offense wins highlight reels.
    Defense wins championships.
    Interceptor
    NET Rookie

• PatsAddict wrote:If I remember correctly I also saw on The History Channel thast Seattle has some sort of underground lost city. That seems a little creepy to me.

True stuff. The tour of it was one of the neatest experiences of my life. They have time preserved houses of ill repute down there :)
    -------------------------------------
    Les
    acer1240
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I'll add this.

Thank you for the nice, informative post. I'm looking forward to the game, it's going to be a tough one. From what I've seen and heard the Pats are attempting to run the ball more this year, is that true? I can't imagine that's a strategy they'll employ in our game though. They'll be in hurry up all game. What's up with Gronk, though? He hasn't been the same dominating force this year? Is that because Hernandez is out?

Oh, and then there's this:

There may be a few Pats fans in the stadium on Sunday but at least they're better than all the damn front running Red Sox fans. I'm not actually speaking of any one from Boston or the general area of course. I'm talking about the guy who wears the hat because his dad's uncle's father in law's cousin spent a weekend in Boston once.

Going to Red Sox games at Safeco makes me want to kill.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

The rain in Seattle has always been greatly overblown. Most days if it rains, it will clear up by the afternoon. Aside from that they get rainstorms like everywhere else in the country (aside from like Southern California or Arizona).

And I never quite grasped how loud it is until I went to the MNF game. It was 4 hours of pure (incredibly awesome) mayhem. And that was with a s*it load of Packer fans there. Don't think Patriot fans travel as well as Packer fans. It might be even louder Sunday than it was against the Packers.

Brady is a pros pro though, so doubt it will phase him much.. it might have a big effect on your young OL though.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Great post, and I can tell you're an intelligent fan.

On the weather, if you plan on moving here, then it rains much, much more than you've heard. It's bad. Really.

If you plan on staying in NE, then yea, the posts above are accurate. If anyone in California is reading this and planning on moving, we have earthquakes, mudslides, months on end of rain and clouds, and weather that will cause you to commit suicide.

The game is going to be interesting. If the Pats go no huddle, and we can switch personnel once, we can go with our "big nickle" and a pass rush line that can still stop the run, and cover the pass, plus rush the passer. If we can get to Brady, the no huddle will get disrupted.

How is your OL ? Do you have confidence that it will stop an elite pass rush that doesn't have to bring extra pressure ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• remember, sound amplifies and does not dissipate as quick when traveling on water. So if it misty or a slight rain, it's gonna be LOUD on Sunday !! Set the tone early, defer the kickoff, get our defense on the field first, get a sack, or a false, cause a turnover on the Patriots first series, get a Seahawks score, and the tone will be set early and us 12's will be thirsty for the blood Brady's ears !!!
    Image Image
    ImageImage
    djTOY2000
    Eli Positioner Extraordinaire

• SirTed wrote:I'll add this.

Thank you for the nice, informative post. I'm looking forward to the game, it's going to be a tough one. From what I've seen and heard the Pats are attempting to run the ball more this year, is that true? I can't imagine that's a strategy they'll employ in our game though. They'll be in hurry up all game. What's up with Gronk, though? He hasn't been the same dominating force this year? Is that because Hernandez is out?

Oh, and then there's this:

There may be a few Pats fans in the stadium on Sunday but at least they're better than all the damn front running Red Sox fans. I'm not actually speaking of any one from Boston or the general area of course. I'm talking about the guy who wears the hat because his dad's uncle's father in law's cousin spent a weekend in Boston once.

Going to Red Sox games at Safeco makes me want to kill.

Well they ran it over 50 times on Sunday for 250 yards. That made it two straight games rushing for more than 200 yards. They are actually running as much as passing from the hurry up. Theory is to get those big guys tired up front and not set and then run the ball. Pretty much if the D is in its base formation they'll pass the ball and if they are in nickel they will run it.

I'm sure Hernandez being out has had an effect on Gronk in terms of the coverages he has seen. Crossing my fingers Hernandez is back this week. Gronk's also has some sort of hip injury that has limited him practice wise the past two weeks. Not sure how much that has to do with his productivity. Either way, keep your Seattle porn stars locked up this weekend. Gronk's been known to spike a few money shots with an adult actress or two.

Red Sox? The Red Sox are currently on probation. We have them sitting in the "bad room" for awhile until they figure out how to look like a real baseball team again. God they take years off my life.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• Hawks46 wrote:Great post, and I can tell you're an intelligent fan.

On the weather, if you plan on moving here, then it rains much, much more than you've heard. It's bad. Really.

If you plan on staying in NE, then yea, the posts above are accurate. If anyone in California is reading this and planning on moving, we have earthquakes, mudslides, months on end of rain and clouds, and weather that will cause you to commit suicide.

The game is going to be interesting. If the Pats go no huddle, and we can switch personnel once, we can go with our "big nickle" and a pass rush line that can still stop the run, and cover the pass, plus rush the passer. If we can get to Brady, the no huddle will get disrupted.

How is your OL ? Do you have confidence that it will stop an elite pass rush that doesn't have to bring extra pressure ?

I might not be the sharpest noodle in the soup but I get a distinct feeling you don't want folks moving to Seattle.

I'll say this about the OL. Brady will get them in the right protection and doing that's about 80 percent of the battle in the NFL. I have no clue what the Packers were trying to accomplish sending Finley out on every pass play the whole first half in that Monday night game. It took them until the 3rd quarter to figure out their tackles might need a little help. If the Pats need to keep in a TE or RB to help chip or double team, they'll do it. Brady's also pretty good at play action which helps OL as well.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• somebody find that stats of how many times it rained during a game since 2003 . i will put anything on it that its less then 5
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:

And her mom...and her dad.

And L.A. often gets more inches of rain than Seattle does. Little known fact.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• it rains plenty, although there seems to be an extended summer this fall, or whats considered as, its miserable 8-9 months out of the year, cold 5-6 months.. and you never know when it will rain or shine.

I wouldn't go for annual rain fall cuz it doesn't always rain hard or full time like other areas, sometimes its just cloudy and maybe it sprinkles then rains or its just cloudy, then sometimes it will rain for 2 weeks straight, sometimes it will rain on the 4th and labor day, this year all of june was crappy and part of july, yea its cold and rainy here a lot.

expect rain and 55 deg for the game
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• It may rain a bit, but it is the most temperate climate in the country. Never really hot or really cold. When it gets above 80 I wilt anyway, so I like it. These past few rain-less months have been nothing short of glorious. I'm glad it's going to rain this weekend though, because a) we need it, and b)football played in inclement weather is awesome.
    "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not." - Yoda
    WarHawks
    NET Practice Squad

Based on what I'm told, I'd have to say it's loud like your wife and one hundred of her friends yelling at you through megaphones after finding you in bed with her sister.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• EastCoastHawksFan wrote:somebody find that stats of how many times it rained during a game since 2003 . i will put anything on it that its less then 5

You'd lose. What confuses some is the unusual fact that it didn't rain on a game in the first three years (IIRC) of the new stadium. It was quite weird, as the odds of it not raining on any given Sunday afternoon between Labor Day and New Years has to be astronomical. After '04-'05 or so normality returned and we started getting rain several games a year.

As a season ticket holder from 2005-008 or so, I can attest that we got quite a few games where we had rain/weather.

Not sure what the long term forecast is for Sunday yet, but nobody around here trusts any forecast more than 3-5 days out anyway. By Thursday or so, we'll have a better idea of the projected weather.

Incidentally, rain has pretty much zero effect on footing. Sure, the ball gets wet, and we do have some interesting wind affects sometimes, but it's often not that big of a deal.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Missing_Clink wrote:
    EastCoastHawksFan wrote:I do not live in seattle , and i never been there . :(

No that is definitely not true. I have been to a few games where it was raining pretty hard. The shit show against Washington last year comes to mind. That was a torrential downpour.

Hahaha, I was at the shit show too. Got sick as hell.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• slargent4ever wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

It's loud like a wife catching her husband in bed with both of their sisters...and the sisters are both 19.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:
    EastCoastHawksFan wrote:somebody find that stats of how many times it rained during a game since 2003 . i will put anything on it that its less then 5

You'd lose. What confuses some is the unusual fact that it didn't rain on a game in the first three years (IIRC) of the new stadium. It was quite weird, as the odds of it not raining on any given Sunday afternoon between Labor Day and New Years has to be astronomical. After '04-'05 or so normality returned and we started getting rain several games a year.

As a season ticket holder from 2005-008 or so, I can attest that we got quite a few games where we had rain/weather.

Not sure what the long term forecast is for Sunday yet, but nobody around here trusts any forecast more than 3-5 days out anyway. By Thursday or so, we'll have a better idea of the projected weather.

Incidentally, rain has pretty much zero effect on footing. Sure, the ball gets wet, and we do have some interesting wind affects sometimes, but it's often not that big of a deal.

I distinctly remember a Raiders game on a weeknight or a Sunday night that it pissed....I remember it because I gave my ticket to a friend and watched the waterfalls on tv. I also remember a Raiders game at Husky stadium where it pissed....The Makers hate the Raiders.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yesterday I dug a post hole for a friend using my post hole digger on the back of my tractor. We went down 4' and it was as dry as a dusty road. I have never seen it that dry that deep west of the Cascades. We are in desperate need of rain. But on the other hand this summer was the best I have seen in years.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• slargent4ever wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

but not as loud as catching her husband, Bruce Dickindaughter
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• That was a really great article. "All of the Patriots calls in no huddle are one word"

That's a brilliant plan as the purpose of the no huddle is to catch the defense off guard. One of the biggest enemies of the no huddle is communication issues, too many commands create an opportunity for confusion, missed blocks, bad hand offs, incomplete routes. But having one word that means different things to different players eliminates any chance for confusion, as long as the players understand the plays.

That one word, say "Omaha" would mean one thing to the offensive line, something different to the wide receivers, another thing entirely to the tight ends and yet something else to the running back and full back.

The only downside is that a team has to be experienced and have lots of playing time together in order for something like this to work efficiently. And that is one of New England's biggest assets, it's experience on the offensive side of the ball at QB, line, receivers and back. And for the new guy, like the running back, it only has to be something really simple.

The Seahawks are a rebuilding team so we don't have that luxury, but if anyone can come alive his rookie year and play like a pro, it's Russell Wilson. I have faith in his ability to progress at a much faster pace than 99% of the quarterbacks out there. His success at NC State and Wisconsin have convinced me of that. And his success as a rookie on an offense that, outside of the running game, is trying to find it's identity has been commendable.

There is a time in every learning process when things start to click, and I think we saw that last week in Carolina and will see an even bigger jump this week against New England. It's going to be tough though because he's going up against a Bill Belicheck defense, but Russell can do it.

The Patriot defense if very good, they forced 3 fumbles last week but 1 of those was Peyton Manning's who was sacked twice. There were no interceptions, something I think Russell can duplicate. But Russell has more escapability so sacks for New England will be harder to come by. Denver only came away with 70 yards rushing but they threw the ball a lot. I expect Seattle to break 120 yards as their offensive line gels and the running backs adjust to that line.

I expect a very close game with Seattle winning if they can control the time of possession and get hits and pressures on Tom Brady.

Edit to add from the article: "“You learn to make words that are easy to say, one syllable and distinct,” Belichick said. “At the Colts, all our strong-side patterns were score, strike, sting, smash. And the weak-side patterns were whirl, whisk, wheel. And it was one word, usually one syllable, told everybody what to do [he says as he snaps his finger].”"
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• This morning Pete Carroll was on the same radio station that Deion Branch broke the news about Seattle weather. I'm sure many of you know that Pats fans have an interesting perspective on 'ol Pete. His 'rah, 'rah, jacked and pumped style did not play well here. I was always thought Pete would be a great guy to party with. You couldn't ask for a better wingman. He'd sell you to the hottest girl in bar and afterwards she'd feel like she did the greatest thing in the world despite lowering her standards.

And it seems he's still the same guy. He packed in more words during one radio interview than Belichick will speak in one season. He talked alot about having fun. Fun it seems is the ingredient for success. I'll say this, he's in the right spot because of the youth on your roster. That should extend Pete's shelf-life longer than the four years he had in New England. He took over for Parcells the year after the team went to the Super Bowl. They had a lot of veterans on that squad and his personality just didn't gel with those guys. It'll be interesting to see as your team ages, if they start tuning him out.

Other things of note that Pete said:

Bruce Irvin had 3 sacks in 20 snaps. That is absolutely insane. I'm wondering if the Pats will use the draw game on his side because he likes to get up the field. They used to do that to Dwight Freeney alot and he'd piroute past the ballcarrier.

He seems to be a big fan of Wilson too although he seems to be enamoured with his 40 time more than his passing ability. It's unfortunate that Flynn had the elbow problems because it seems you guys have a championship caliber defense and he's farther along than Wilson is in running an NFL offense. I'm not in the Pac West so I don't know if folks have been clamouring to see Fynn now that it looks like he's healthy enough to play but I'd be on the Flynn side of that debate if I was a Seahawks fan.

PS: Rainy day again here in NE. Talked to a buddy of mine who's a meteoroligist and it seems the jet stream couple with High pressure over the Great Lakes has been pushing moisture up the Atlantic coast from the south. Just another reason to hate the south.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

• As I was heading to bed last night after a late-night evening class, I heard the weatherman say that Sunday looks like it'll be nasty, stormy and pouring rain... But then, as alluded to above, that's not for several days and the forecast may change three times by then.

As to the 'doesn't rain much' OP, well... I grew up here near Seattle (mostly) in the 60s - 70s, and saw all over the US in my time since, and now live here again. It may not rain as much in inches as places like Miami or New York, but it hardly ever deluges. Instead, it clouds up sometime in Oct-Nov, and you hardly see the sun except for half a dozen times until next March. It rains intermittently during that whole time, and the days get to be real short since we are actually about as far north as the top of Maine. In fact, I just looked it up and Seattle (about half-way between the N and S borders of WA) is slightly north of the extreme north point of Maine - even more than I had thought! It then gets better with gradually decreasing rain/cloudy time until July 5, when it can be counted on to finally stop raining right after the fireworks. Then, generally no rain at all until sometime in Sept (unless I'm on a motorcycle vacation). In all, most people on the western side of the state have a lot of moss on their roofs and in their lawns, even in the 'full-sun exposure areas'.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• PatsAddict wrote:This morning Pete Carroll was on the same radio station that Deion Branch broke the news about Seattle weather. I'm sure many of you know that Pats fans have an interesting perspective on 'ol Pete. His 'rah, 'rah, jacked and pumped style did not play well here. I was always thought Pete would be a great guy to party with. You couldn't ask for a better wingman. He'd sell you to the hottest girl in bar and afterwards she'd feel like she did the greatest thing in the world despite lowering her standards.

And it seems he's still the same guy. He packed in more words during one radio interview than Belichick will speak in one season. He talked alot about having fun. Fun it seems is the ingredient for success. I'll say this, he's in the right spot because of the youth on your roster. That should extend Pete's shelf-life longer than the four years he had in New England. He took over for Parcells the year after the team went to the Super Bowl. They had a lot of veterans on that squad and his personality just didn't gel with those guys. It'll be interesting to see as your team ages, if they start tuning him out.

Other things of note that Pete said:

Bruce Irvin had 3 sacks in 20 snaps. That is absolutely insane. I'm wondering if the Pats will use the draw game on his side because he likes to get up the field. They used to do that to Dwight Freeney alot and he'd piroute past the ballcarrier.

He seems to be a big fan of Wilson too although he seems to be enamoured with his 40 time more than his passing ability. It's unfortunate that Flynn had the elbow problems because it seems you guys have a championship caliber defense and he's farther along than Wilson is in running an NFL offense. I'm not in the Pac West so I don't know if folks have been clamouring to see Fynn now that it looks like he's healthy enough to play but I'd be on the Flynn side of that debate if I was a Seahawks fan.

PS: Rainy day again here in NE. Talked to a buddy of mine who's a meteoroligist and it seems the jet stream couple with High pressure over the Great Lakes has been pushing moisture up the Atlantic coast from the south. Just another reason to hate the south.

You know, I've heard from a number of Pats fans about how poorly Pete's "rah rah" style didn't play up there, and it was only a matter of time before something like that happens here, etc.

I wonder if those years at USC didn't just turn Pete into a better coach. Or maybe his positive attitude just didn't play well on the "win or die" east coast. Because honestly, and maybe I'm alone on this, I can't imagine Pete's style ever wearing on the guys. This is crazy to say, but as much as I liked Holmgren and everything he did for our franchise, Pete is my all-time favorite Seahawks coach.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

• SirTed wrote: You know, I've heard from a number of Pats fans about how poorly Pete's "rah rah" style didn't play up there, and it was only a matter of time before something like that happens here, etc.

I wonder if those years at USC didn't just turn Pete into a better coach. Or maybe his positive attitude just didn't play well on the "win or die" east coast. Because honestly, and maybe I'm alone on this, I can't imagine Pete's style ever wearing on the guys. This is crazy to say, but as much as I liked Holmgren and everything he did for our franchise, Pete is my all-time favorite Seahawks coach.

You like him over Chuck Knox? Poor Chuck. I know he didn't "give good interview" but that cat could coach.
    PatsAddict
    NET Bench Warmer

Next

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information