NFL Primetime Hates The Seahawks

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I'm relatively young, 29, and I don't like the way sports entertainment on the whole, especially the NFL, is going. Worrisome to say the least. Money+people = corruption.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Aros":zb4mwhv3 said:
Wow HawksFTW, did Berman sleep with your wife or what?

I was just talking to my neighbor and we both went on and on about how awesome Primetime used to be with Berman and Jackson. The funny one-liners, the quick quips and highlights always made Mondays awesome. Now you have to be subjected to Merrill Hodge's love fest with himself ("ooooooh!! oooooooh!! Camera time!!") and sideline interviews from a reporter talking about a game that won't be played for another 7 hours.

Does anyone know why Berman is no longer doing Primetime?

I don't disagree that Berman USED to be funny. His routine has not aged well, IMO. Nowadays he doesn't offer any insight or relevant observations, and is basically just a parody of his old self. When the best thing he has going is thinking up outdated nicknames for players, and the :sarcasm_on: ageless WHOOP :sarcasm_off: I just don't think anyone is missing much when he loses air time.

I also don't disagree that the rest of the on air talent ESPN has is pretty putrid, that is big reason why I stopped watching a handful of years ago. The only time I tune in is game time; if I want highlights I go to NFLN, or the internet. There is literally nothing ESPN does better than anyone else, and on top of that the long standing ignorance of anything Seattle related, it makes it easy to ignore ESPN as a whole.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Berman is a gin blossomed relic. His show of yester year was awesome, but all good things must end. Besides, if you insist on highlights, NFL.com is the place.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Riley12":1gjz3yd9 said:
I always thought that Berman was the biggest Seahawks supporter/advocate on that channel after John Clayton. Maybe I only saw the times when he was talking us up.

Total fan of the Hawks. "Come on Seattle....Come ON Seattle..." LOL...Loved it.

MrCarey

Reaction score
What's awesome, is if we DO win the super bowl this year, no matter what happens, the Green Bay win will plague us.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Aros":16um8ml1 said:
Agreed. By far the best sports-related highlight show bar none. I really, really would like to know why ESPN destroyed it.

Part of the broadcast deal a few years ago that moved MNF to ESPN and SNF to NBC was that NBC would get to show the most highlights first as part of their pregame show (a requirement that seems to have been relaxed some in subsequent years) as the league was focusing on making the Sunday night game their marquee game of the week since it had moved to network TV and MNF was on cable. Having the old NFL Primetime with Berman and Jackson air at 4:30pm before the Sunday night game was no longer feasible, so rather than carve out an hour or so after the game, they incorporated those two I to Sportscenter and called it "The Blitz," while moving "NFL Primetime" to the following afternoon and staffing it with their "B" team. That's what I was told, at any rate. All I know for sure is that the switch was made the year Sunday Night Football went to NBC.

I miss the old NFL Primetime, too. Nowadays your best chance to Seahawk highlights is the "Gameday Highlights" show that runs and re-runs during the Sunday night game. They had a fair number of highlights from the Seahawks-Panthers game, whereas by the time they got to "Gameday Final" after they SNF game they only showed Wilson's pick six and TD pass.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Aros":x2827fm7 said:
Apparently.

Why did the suits at ESPN decide to destroy what used to be my favorite sports show by cutting Chris Berman and add the three on the show now? Not only do they spend half the show breaking down plays from what they consider the most important games from the day before (see: East Coast Teams), but they don't even show all of the games (see: Any Game The Seahawks Played In).

I waited and waited and realized at 58 minutes in that they weren't even going to bother showing highlights from the Seahawks/Panthers game.

What a joke. ESPN you douches. Bring back Berman and make the hour the highlights of ALL the games played.

Way, Way WAY back, when you were the Rock Legend of High School, NFL Primetime was solid. I say this, assuming you didn't have time for the details of football with the fame, girls and overall status as one of, if not the most talented kids in the area.

Berman ALWAYS mentioned the Hawks, the early Swami days, he had some sort of Seahawk love in that he was usually picking them to win games when Jackson wouldn't give them a second look unless it was a game against the Broncos.

They went over every game, it was religion for us, as early Fantasy Football owners it was the only way to get the scoring info before the Monday AM newspaper. Not only did those guys go over every game, they nearly addressed every score.

Prior to marriage or moving in with the soon to be wife, myself and names you know sat around on Sunday, unshowered after Gaddis let us into Jasper's the night before without showing ID. We couldn't miss any of the games, so still no shower, just beer and the pizza we ordered the night before just so we could eat it cold during the games.

There was always this plan to shower in that time before the 5pm ESPN or TNT game came on. NFL Primetime ruined those plans, it was like watching all the games in an hour. All the good plays with little BS in between, not even the Dyna-Niners got a big segment that sucked time away from another game.

I miss those days for sure, Primetime was few commercials and very informative, along with Berman in his prime, almost losing his voice doing his job and making it easy to put up with Theisman and Dan Patrick calling the evening game.

Bring it Back!

Sign37now

Reaction score
We will get plenty of air time after this week's game cuz we are playing the NFL's Golden Boy, Tom Brady. :pukeface:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Oh please please please please make a statement against NE so they're forced to talk about it. Meh, they'll just say "what's wrong with Brady?" anyway.

Happy

Reaction score
Sign37now":1omjjmpt said:
We will get plenty of air time after this week's game cuz we are playing the NFL's Golden Boy, Tom Brady. :pukeface:

The Seahawks defense wants to destroy something beautiful. Sunday will not be a good day to be Tom Brady.

Sign37now

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1nokp3v3 said:
Oh please please please please make a statement against NE so they're forced to talk about it. Meh, they'll just say "what's wrong with Brady?" anyway.

Exactly! Sickening....

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2f1o54nf said:
Way, Way WAY back, when you were the Rock Legend of High School, NFL Primetime was solid. I say this, assuming you didn't have time for the details of football with the fame, girls and overall status as one of, if not the most talented kids in the area.

LMAO! I forgot you knew me from High School days. Oh God I miss the days I had hair and girls actually looked at me. Sigh... :)

loafoftatupu":2f1o54nf said:
Prior to marriage or moving in with the soon to be wife, myself and names you know sat around on Sunday, unshowered after Gaddis let us into Jasper's the night before without showing ID. We couldn't miss any of the games, so still no shower, just beer and the pizza we ordered the night before just so we could eat it cold during the games.

The fact that you brought up Tony Gaddis' name on .NET earns you ridiculous bonus points. (Everybody else says "wha?")

Clearly I've hit a nerve. The show - in its original format - is missed dearly. Thank you too Will btw, for the explanation....

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sign37now":2d9hic69 said:

We could shut the Patriots out...have 20 defensive TD's, 32 sacks and the story would still be "Brady and the Patriots Let One Slip By in Seattle".

This is our lot in life.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Part of what's working against us is that even if we turn out to have a great year, it's 100% going to be because of the awesome defense, and defense just doesn't sell as well on highlight reels.

It's not purely the nation yawning at us because we're Seattle. If we had kept TO (not that I wanted to) and Wilson-to-TO was going well, we'd be getting way more press even if the result was the same W/L record.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I still think we should bring TO back.

(I can't believe I just typed that).

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ampedhawk":v3277upn said:
I like Berman, still a class act in a business now dominated by arrogant ex players.

Indeed. I can't watch NFL Network because of Sanders and Irvin. They may have football smarts but they are painful to watch. Two humans that think their shit don't stink.

drdiags

Reaction score
sadhappy":2qiy06io said:
Scottemojo":2qiy06io said:
Embrace the hate, Aros. It will make the honey sweeter.

Wilson is the Kwisatz Haderach. The seahawks shall topple the house of espn and bathe in the blood of the cowboys and giants.

Father! Father! The Sleeper has awaken!

"Long Live the Fighter!!"

BTW, I am with you Aros regarding NFLN. Just cannot watch it. All the former players on the show think their stuff doesn't stink. Too much elitism. Irving and Sanders are usually either panning the Cowboys for not dominating or tooting their horn when they play well. I think NFLN just wants to have the market on HOF players doing studio work.

Lot of folks like NFLN but to me they are just as bad as ESPN. Would love them if I was from NY, Boston, Dallas, Green Bay or Philly.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
sadhappy":3vlkjnai said:
Sign37now":3vlkjnai said:

The Seahawks defense wants to destroy something beautiful. Sunday will not be a good day to be Tom Brady.

I am Tom Brady's broken nose.

Ampedhawk

Reaction score
Aros":rtkyitfm said:
Ampedhawk":rtkyitfm said:
I like Berman, still a class act in a business now dominated by arrogant ex players.

Indeed. I can't watch NFL Network because of Sanders and Irvin. They may have football smarts but they are painful to watch. Two humans that think their shit don't stink.
Rodney Harrison on NBC may be the worst of all of them.