Time to GET BEHIND Russell Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistaowen

Reaction score
So, should the Colts have kept Curtis Painter who spent all those years behind Peyton Manning and started him over Luck, purely based on NFL 'experience'? David Carr is still around on the Giants, maybe sitting behind Eli for all these years made him forget what it felt like to be sacked 9 times a game and can lead them to another superbowl. For the Flynn argument, how does anyone know we win those games with Flynn? It seems like it is almost guarenteed we are 5-0 with Flynn by some of you. This thread acts like some are just arguing for the sake of arguing. There is absolutely nothing to prove we would be better with Flynn in there. We would be 0-5 if Flynn was starting. There is an opinion with zero substance as well, since we wont ever know what would have happened.

This thread was to point out how RW is improving week by week. Besides the one throw to Mccoy that was a step behind him, he played very solid. He is not overthrowing receivers anymore, his pocket awareness is getting better, and his playaction is MUCH improved. We wont see interior pressure like we saw against the Cards again this year, and that has the worst game he played from a pocket standpoint. Wasn't he 12/13 at halftime? I HIGHLY doubt we see RW break 300 yards this year, because that isn't what PC is going to let happen. It seems very unlikely we are ever far behind enough with how our defense plays to change our gameplan and make RW throw it 55 times like Andrew Luck did this week. That would stay true if Flynn was playing as well.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'd love the people who are in favor of starting Flynn to tell me the numbers they expect RW to put up before they will finally live with the team's decision.

Give me raw numbers. 8 TDs a game? 600 Yards passing? Zero interceptions for a season? This isn't fantasy football. This is real football. Played by human beings in a life setting. Even the best Qb's throw a pick 6. It happens. Could Wilson's pick-6 yesterday have cost us the game? Sure. But it didn't, and that's the reality.

And the idea that people don't expect Flynn to put up the Detroit game numbers? Quit fooling yourselves. That is exactly why you are in favor of starting Flynn. That game is the reason many people on this board even knew who Matt Flynn was before we signed him. If the Detroit game never happened, no one would be calling for Flynn to start. And despite the Detroit game, there wasn't a floodgate of teams throwing Matt Flynn Kevin Kolb money in free agency.

It is OKAY to change your mind about the QB situation. I was a big Flynn supporter. I drank the Kool-Aid. I had visions of the Detroit game, just like all the current Flynn supporters. However, i know that PC, JC and the rest of the coaching staff forget more football knowledge in a day than i will learn in a lifetime.

Support our Team. Support our starting QB. His name is Russell Wilson.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Colts had 3 wins with Peyton Manning in his rookie year, and he had more ints than TDs. Just sayin'. Children need to stop with the haterade. Have some flippin' patience.

sam1313

Reaction score
Verndog":17u7yxy4 said:
I'll get 100% behind Wilson when I see solid evidence he is a better QB then Flynn (this team, this O, this year). Our goal was to improve at the QB position from TJack. Please go look at the numbers, we still haven't done that after 5 games, so our objectives in making changes have not been met.

Nice to get the W and to see some improvement, but that is not enough given the weakness of the opponents D.

I've said this before, but if you think RW = TJ, then I don't know what to tell you. TJ never put together a single game winning drive in the third/fourth quarter for us. RW already has 2 of those. In addition, we win the time of possession battle almost every game. That rarely happened with TJ. There really isn't a comparison in my mind RW is much greater than TJ.....

And, while I was all for starting Flynn this year, RW has pretty much won me over. I am sad that we can't trade Flynn next year for a #1 draft pick, but I'm happy with how RW is handling this and I see his improvement every game. I'm pretty freaking happy overall...

sam1313

Reaction score
volsunghawk":zkfdlzgt said:
SalishHawkFan":zkfdlzgt said:
We don't know what we have in Flynn seems to be the only defense for not starting him. Well we DO know this: After 5 games, Wilson is averaging 60 yards per game less passing than TJack. Now we know TJack couldn't have gotten any better. I hated getting him, but I respect what he did here. Still, Wilson is a rookie and we've taken a step BACK with Wilson under center. The upside is that - and while there is no guarantee - I think we ALL agree that Wilson will one day be much better than TJack ever could be.

So we took a step backwards this season, when we have the No 1 defense and a top 10 rushing attack, in order to groom Wilson to be the QBOTF. That decision cost us being 5-0 because with TJack's extra 60 yards passing per game after 5 games last year, we'd have beaten both AZ and the Rams. The GB game wouldn't have been as close either. Nor would the Carolina game.

What else do we KNOW? That Flynn was much better than TJack. That it is quite possible Wilson won the starting job due to Matt Flynn's tendinitis. That TJack was always gone from this team unless either Wilson or Flynn totally flopped, because both QB's have more upside than TJack ever will.

So, since Flynn was much better than Tjack and TJack would have done better than Wilson these first five games due to Wilson being a rookie, it is pretty much nondebatable that we DO KNOW that Flynn would have been better than Wilson these first five games had he started. And if TJacks 60 yards of extra passing a game would have made us 5-0, then it's safe to say had we started Flynn right now we'd be 5-0.

Not that what we think will possibly matter. It's all moot now. It's Wilson's job to lose.

That "transitive property" crap you're peddling is nothing but speculation.

Wilson is passing for fewer yards than Jackson did through 5 games last season, yeah. It helps that Jackson was in charge of a no-huddle offense that went pass happy in Weeks 4 and 5 last season. If you compare the first three games of each season to each other, it's a hell of a lot closer. Plus, Wilson is attempting 10 fewer passes per game than Jackson did at the start of last season. Put Wilson in a no-huddle and give him more attempts per game, and sure, you might see his numbers improve.

But that doesn't seem to be the kind of offensive identity that the team wants to adopt, and last year's performances bear that out. The team didn't start stringing together wins until it abandoned the pass-happy, big yardage offense and switched to a run-heavy offense that limited the passing attempts and yardage. Look at the stretch last season when Seattle won 5 of 6. The most passing yardage in any of those games? 226. And the attempts per game ranged from 16 to 34, with the average being well below the 35 attempts per game in the first 5 games of the season.

This obsession with yards per game is retarded.

WOOT!!!! Couldn't agree more Volsung!

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2hzwx5vs said:
Verndog":2hzwx5vs said:
you and the Wilson fan club

Can someone remind me when backing the teams starting QB became such a negative thing?

Who's saying YOU can't be excited with our QB? This isn't a negativity thing - period. It's Hawk football talk at most.

I'm just relaying "I'm" not excited about our QB (along with listing reasons why, where so far nobody has had an acceptable response other than "hey man, just be patient"). So telling those who feel the same in demanding RW respect...it's a bit much. I had a great time seeing them win, nothing changes there. And so goes the QB problem - nothing changes there.

Our defense play, now that's something to shout from the mountain. RW? no...just no (imo). PC gets a raised brow from me on that topic.

Verndog

Reaction score
Basis4day":12m0qyou said:
I'd love the people who are in favor of starting Flynn to tell me the numbers they expect RW to put up before they will finally live with the team's decision.

What it all boils down to is scoring points. Right now we are at 28th @17.2 per game. With our D and all the chances they give to the offense, and the top 5 RB in the league, we should be able to have somewhere near league average @23 per game IMO. I'd shut up if we hit 20 because after 20 there is a real good chance we win.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Basis4day":j5g0tgpm said:
Support our Team. Support our starting QB. His name is Russell Wilson.

I support our team.

Go ahead and support RW as leader here, I do not. Not yet.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":5nsruxie said:
theENGLISHseahawk":5nsruxie said:
Verndog":5nsruxie said:

Can someone remind me when backing the teams starting QB became such a negative thing?

Who's saying YOU can't be excited with our QB? This isn't a negativity thing - period. It's Hawk football talk at most.

I'm just relaying "I'm" not excited about our QB (along with listing reasons why, where so far nobody has had an acceptable response other than "hey man, just be patient"). So telling those who feel the same in demanding RW respect...it's a bit much. I had a great time seeing them win, nothing changes there. And so goes the QB problem - nothing changes there.

Our defense play, now that's something to shout from the mountain. RW? no...just no (imo). PC gets a raised brow from me on that topic.

Well thanks for that, but I was searching for the answer as to why 'the Wilson fan club' was being used to describe a negative clique rather than a group of Seahawks fans.

Verndog

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":m6lqr7ua said:
Verndog":m6lqr7ua said:

OK...lets try last year -- TJack for starters. Wasn't the whole idea to improve the position? On paper that is NOT happening.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Verndog":1veiziza said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1veiziza said:
Verndog":1veiziza said:

OK...lets try last year -- TJack for starters. Wasn't the whole idea to improve the position? On paper that is NOT happening.

Go back to Seahawkblue and stay there please.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Verndog":3ost79mo said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3ost79mo said:
Verndog":3ost79mo said:

Good things the games aren't played on paper. Because it IS happening on the field. The position is being improved.

Verndog

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1n0jctzf said:
Good things the games aren't played on paper. Because it IS happening on the field. The position is being improved.

And you have factored in the #1D, improved Oline play, and Lynch off to a far better start correct?

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Verndog":vur9ydbw said:

Perhaps the plan was to set up Wilson to be the starter for the next 10+ years? Maybe they feel the best way to prepare him to be a long term starter is to get out there and see what this NFL thing is all about? Maybe they feel having him sit and watch isn't the best way to develop - they wouldn't be alone (see: 5 rookie starters this year). They perhaps judged this as - Wilson has more upside and we can go further with this guy... so let's start him and prepare for him to lead this team long term?

Or maybe - just maybe - he actually out played and out worked the other guy and deserved to start? And just because he isn't playing lights out in his first five NFL games against the likes of the Cards, Packers and Cowboys defense, that doesn't mean all that effort and hard work goes out the window and you turn to the other guy who lost out in the first place.

The 'Wilson fan club' as you put it probably just relates to this level of long term thinking. The kind of thinking that has been required for a while.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Verndog":3v660nbm said:
Zebulon Dak":3v660nbm said:
Go back to Seahawkblue and stay there please.

Or....you could prove my comment wrong.....naaaah. :roll:
How does one disprove something that is happening in your head? Because that is where Flynn is playing better than Wilson. In the real world, Flynn is a pine jockey.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Verndog":10hoe49v said:
Scottemojo":10hoe49v said:

And you have factored in the #1D, improved Oline play, and Lynch off to a far better start correct?
Nope. I factored in comeback wins. That is where Jackson struggled last year, right? Wilson is clearly better at those.

Verndog

Reaction score
Scottemojo":329krbxt said:
How does one disprove something that is happening in your head? Because that is where Flynn is playing better than Wilson. In the real world, Flynn is a pine jockey.

Are you having trouble keeping up? I've made no statement about what Flynn would do, only what Wilson hasn't. My comment quoted was TJack on paper played better then Wilson up through 5 games last year with a worse Oline, and less production from Lynch for support.

Disprove the real comment, not your imaginary comment please.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Verndog":21spsv80 said:
Scottemojo":21spsv80 said:

Are you having trouble keeping up? I've made no statement about what Flynn would do, only what Wilson hasn't. My comment quoted was TJack on paper played better then Wilson up through 5 games last year with a worse Oline, and less production from Lynch for support.

Disprove the real comment, not your imaginary comment please.

Why would I want to prove wrong something that I believe to be true? Russell Wilson so far is Tarvaris Jackson with more intelligence and a much bigger upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts