Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: NFL Primetime Hates The Seahawks
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Apparently.

Why did the suits at ESPN decide to destroy what used to be my favorite sports show by cutting Chris Berman and add the three on the show now? Not only do they spend half the show breaking down plays from what they consider the most important games from the day before (see: East Coast Teams), but they don't even show all of the games (see: Any Game The Seahawks Played In).

I waited and waited and realized at 58 minutes in that they weren't even going to bother showing highlights from the Seahawks/Panthers game.

What a joke. ESPN you douches. Bring back Berman and make the hour the highlights of ALL the games played.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post subject: Re: NFL Primetime Hates The Seahawks
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:42 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

Yeah I hate that they only do the "best" games now on almost every highlight show.

Just show highlights from ALL games and everyone will be happy. Not just the producer's favorites.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:47 pm 
NET Veteran

It's the worst, man. The worst.

If you want your Berman and Jackson, you have to watch "The Blitz" which is essentially what NFL Primetime used to be (when it was the best sports show on TV) but it's cut-in through out a drawn out SportCenter. I hate it. HATE IT.

I don't mind SportCenter so much, but I always preferred PrimeTime because the highlights and analysis was so much better (not to mention the music).

I don't want to have to sit through Trey Wingo for 20 minutes at a time to get a dusting of the Berm and Jackson.

I've switched, full time to NFL Network. It's not as good as PrimeTime was, but Irvin and Prime play pretty well of straight laced Mooch and Isen.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 pm 
NET Starter

Aros wrote:
I waited and waited and realized at 58 minutes in that they weren't even going to bother showing highlights from the Seahawks/Panthers game.

I do this same thing every week only to get bamboozled every time. I don't even know why I fall for it. They never show Seahawk highlights.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm 
* NET E-Knight *

I don't watch ESPN at all, but Berman is the biggest joke in the industry. The guy should have retired years ago, when his shtick was at least somewhat amusing. I don't know who they replaced him with, but just about anybody would be better.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:03 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Embrace the hate, Aros. It will make the honey sweeter.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
* NET Lead Admin *

Scottemojo wrote:

Wilson is the Kwisatz Haderach. The seahawks shall topple the house of espn and bathe in the blood of the cowboys and giants.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wow HawksFTW, did Berman sleep with your wife or what?

I was just talking to my neighbor and we both went on and on about how awesome Primetime used to be with Berman and Jackson. The funny one-liners, the quick quips and highlights always made Mondays awesome. Now you have to be subjected to Merrill Hodge's love fest with himself ("ooooooh!! oooooooh!! Camera time!!") and sideline interviews from a reporter talking about a game that won't be played for another 7 hours.

Does anyone know why Berman is no longer doing Primetime?

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 pm 
NET Veteran

sadhappy wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:

Wilson is the Kwisatz Haderach. The seahawks shall topple the house of espn and bathe in the blood of the cowboys and giants.

Long live Russell Atreides!!!

PS after that amazing reference just lock and sticky this thread.

a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:27 pm 
NET Rookie

Quote:

Wow! And the random Dune quote for the win!

"Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass."

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:31 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

And here I thought I was a nerd. (j/k) ;)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:31 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Old NFL Primetime with Boomer and Tom Jackson (and occasionally Bill Pidto) was the best NFL highlights show that ever did exist. I think Rich, Mooch & Prime do a pretty good job on NFL Network but nothing will ever beat the old NFL Primetime IMO.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Agreed. By far the best sports-related highlight show bar none. I really, really would like to know why ESPN destroyed it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 pm 
NET Veteran

I prefer the NFL stuff. However, I was disappointed that yesterday they only had a couple of seconds from the game, starting with the RW pick 6, implying that he sucked it up. NEvermind the rest of the game.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:54 pm 
NET Veteran

I just watch NFL.network haven't been able to stomach ESPN for 3-4 years at least.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm 
NET Veteran

Aros wrote:
Apparently.

Why did the suits at ESPN decide to destroy what used to be my favorite sports show by cutting Chris Berman and add the three on the show now? Not only do they spend half the show breaking down plays from what they consider the most important games from the day before (see: East Coast Teams), but they don't even show all of the games (see: Any Game The Seahawks Played In).

What a joke. ESPN you douches. Bring back Berman and make the hour the highlights of ALL the games played.

yea, after what was one of the best goal line stances the nfl has seen in some time against the best offense in the red this season the media munkees choose to totally ignore that series which most likely was the key series on the game..

tough to watch any of that stuff any more, just a lot of rhetoric, not too mention how difficult it is listening to the diatribe those dorks spit out on game day, its brutal, Sunday night is the only decent commentating the NFL has today and Al Michaels is the only real game announcer left in the NFL, Collinsworth is OK but he tends to sensationalize more than he calls the game, Michaels is great at just calling the game sporting stats and leaving his bias on the plane..

ESPN is just a joke in terms of commentating, good grief, buncha women and worse than a sewing circle...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm 
* NET Recluse *
* NET Recluse *

HawksFTW wrote:
I don't watch ESPN at all, but Berman is the biggest joke in the industry. The guy should have retired years ago, when his shtick was at least somewhat amusing. I don't know who they replaced him with, but just about anybody would be better.

I always thought that Berman was the biggest Seahawks supporter/advocate on that channel after John Clayton. Maybe
I only saw the times when he was talking us up.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm 
NET Rookie

KCHawkGirl wrote:
I just watch NFL.network haven't been able to stomach ESPN for 3-4 years at least.

I'm in the same boat. NFLN isn't great, but ESPN is just god-awful these days.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm 
* NET Radish *

These things are why I'm not an NFL fan anymore, just a Seahawks fan.

I get the NFL Network with my top 250 from Dish but never watch. I also only watch ESPN when I want a particular thing, like a game score or something.

I still can't see why someone like Aros is getting so fired up about that crap now since its always been that way and will continue until the Seahawks win back to back to back Super Bowls.

:141847_bnono:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:09 pm 
NET Veteran

I used to watch NFL Primetime on Sunday evenings with my buddies back in the late 80's and it was the BEST. I still don't understand why ESPN tanked the show - there's no way it was taking a ratings hit. Boomer and Jackson were both great and work so well together - and they're both still active with the network, so I don't understand what the reason was. I miss the highlight music too.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm 
NET Veteran

I'm relatively young, 29, and I don't like the way sports entertainment on the whole, especially the NFL, is going. Worrisome to say the least. Money+people = corruption.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm 
* NET E-Knight *

Aros wrote:
Wow HawksFTW, did Berman sleep with your wife or what?

I was just talking to my neighbor and we both went on and on about how awesome Primetime used to be with Berman and Jackson. The funny one-liners, the quick quips and highlights always made Mondays awesome. Now you have to be subjected to Merrill Hodge's love fest with himself ("ooooooh!! oooooooh!! Camera time!!") and sideline interviews from a reporter talking about a game that won't be played for another 7 hours.

Does anyone know why Berman is no longer doing Primetime?

I don't disagree that Berman USED to be funny. His routine has not aged well, IMO. Nowadays he doesn't offer any insight or relevant observations, and is basically just a parody of his old self. When the best thing he has going is thinking up outdated nicknames for players, and the :sarcasm_on: ageless WHOOP :sarcasm_off: I just don't think anyone is missing much when he loses air time.

I also don't disagree that the rest of the on air talent ESPN has is pretty putrid, that is big reason why I stopped watching a handful of years ago. The only time I tune in is game time; if I want highlights I go to NFLN, or the internet. There is literally nothing ESPN does better than anyone else, and on top of that the long standing ignorance of anything Seattle related, it makes it easy to ignore ESPN as a whole.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Berman is a gin blossomed relic. His show of yester year was awesome, but all good things must end. Besides, if you insist on highlights, NFL.com is the place.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:36 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Riley12 wrote:
I always thought that Berman was the biggest Seahawks supporter/advocate on that channel after John Clayton. Maybe I only saw the times when he was talking us up.

Total fan of the Hawks. "Come on Seattle....Come ON Seattle..." LOL...Loved it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:38 pm 
NET Veteran

What's awesome, is if we DO win the super bowl this year, no matter what happens, the Green Bay win will plague us.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Aros wrote:
Agreed. By far the best sports-related highlight show bar none. I really, really would like to know why ESPN destroyed it.

Part of the broadcast deal a few years ago that moved MNF to ESPN and SNF to NBC was that NBC would get to show the most highlights first as part of their pregame show (a requirement that seems to have been relaxed some in subsequent years) as the league was focusing on making the Sunday night game their marquee game of the week since it had moved to network TV and MNF was on cable. Having the old NFL Primetime with Berman and Jackson air at 4:30pm before the Sunday night game was no longer feasible, so rather than carve out an hour or so after the game, they incorporated those two I to Sportscenter and called it "The Blitz," while moving "NFL Primetime" to the following afternoon and staffing it with their "B" team. That's what I was told, at any rate. All I know for sure is that the switch was made the year Sunday Night Football went to NBC.

I miss the old NFL Primetime, too. Nowadays your best chance to Seahawk highlights is the "Gameday Highlights" show that runs and re-runs during the Sunday night game. They had a fair number of highlights from the Seahawks-Panthers game, whereas by the time they got to "Gameday Final" after they SNF game they only showed Wilson's pick six and TD pass.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

Aros wrote:
Apparently.

Way, Way WAY back, when you were the Rock Legend of High School, NFL Primetime was solid. I say this, assuming you didn't have time for the details of football with the fame, girls and overall status as one of, if not the most talented kids in the area.

Berman ALWAYS mentioned the Hawks, the early Swami days, he had some sort of Seahawk love in that he was usually picking them to win games when Jackson wouldn't give them a second look unless it was a game against the Broncos.

They went over every game, it was religion for us, as early Fantasy Football owners it was the only way to get the scoring info before the Monday AM newspaper. Not only did those guys go over every game, they nearly addressed every score.

Prior to marriage or moving in with the soon to be wife, myself and names you know sat around on Sunday, unshowered after Gaddis let us into Jasper's the night before without showing ID. We couldn't miss any of the games, so still no shower, just beer and the pizza we ordered the night before just so we could eat it cold during the games.

There was always this plan to shower in that time before the 5pm ESPN or TNT game came on. NFL Primetime ruined those plans, it was like watching all the games in an hour. All the good plays with little BS in between, not even the Dyna-Niners got a big segment that sucked time away from another game.

I miss those days for sure, Primetime was few commercials and very informative, along with Berman in his prime, almost losing his voice doing his job and making it easy to put up with Theisman and Dan Patrick calling the evening game.

Bring it Back!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:10 pm 
NET Rookie

We will get plenty of air time after this week's game cuz we are playing the NFL's Golden Boy, Tom Brady. :pukeface:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm 
NET Veteran

Oh please please please please make a statement against NE so they're forced to talk about it. Meh, they'll just say "what's wrong with Brady?" anyway.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 pm 
* NET Lead Admin *

Sign37now wrote:
We will get plenty of air time after this week's game cuz we are playing the NFL's Golden Boy, Tom Brady. :pukeface:

The Seahawks defense wants to destroy something beautiful. Sunday will not be a good day to be Tom Brady.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:21 pm 
NET Rookie

SNDavidson wrote:
Oh please please please please make a statement against NE so they're forced to talk about it. Meh, they'll just say "what's wrong with Brady?" anyway.

Exactly! Sickening....

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:26 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

loafoftatupu wrote:
Way, Way WAY back, when you were the Rock Legend of High School, NFL Primetime was solid. I say this, assuming you didn't have time for the details of football with the fame, girls and overall status as one of, if not the most talented kids in the area.

LMAO! I forgot you knew me from High School days. Oh God I miss the days I had hair and girls actually looked at me. Sigh... :)

loafoftatupu wrote:
Prior to marriage or moving in with the soon to be wife, myself and names you know sat around on Sunday, unshowered after Gaddis let us into Jasper's the night before without showing ID. We couldn't miss any of the games, so still no shower, just beer and the pizza we ordered the night before just so we could eat it cold during the games.

The fact that you brought up Tony Gaddis' name on .NET earns you ridiculous bonus points. (Everybody else says "wha?")

Clearly I've hit a nerve. The show - in its original format - is missed dearly. Thank you too Will btw, for the explanation....

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sign37now wrote:

We could shut the Patriots out...have 20 defensive TD's, 32 sacks and the story would still be "Brady and the Patriots Let One Slip By in Seattle".

This is our lot in life.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm 
NET Veteran

Part of what's working against us is that even if we turn out to have a great year, it's 100% going to be because of the awesome defense, and defense just doesn't sell as well on highlight reels.

It's not purely the nation yawning at us because we're Seattle. If we had kept TO (not that I wanted to) and Wilson-to-TO was going well, we'd be getting way more press even if the result was the same W/L record.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

I still think we should bring TO back.

(I can't believe I just typed that).

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm 
NET Practice Squad

I like Berman, still a class act in a business now dominated by arrogant ex players.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Ampedhawk wrote:
I like Berman, still a class act in a business now dominated by arrogant ex players.

Indeed. I can't watch NFL Network because of Sanders and Irvin. They may have football smarts but they are painful to watch. Two humans that think their shit don't stink.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:08 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

sadhappy wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:

Father! Father! The Sleeper has awaken!

"Long Live the Fighter!!"

BTW, I am with you Aros regarding NFLN. Just cannot watch it. All the former players on the show think their stuff doesn't stink. Too much elitism. Irving and Sanders are usually either panning the Cowboys for not dominating or tooting their horn when they play well. I think NFLN just wants to have the market on HOF players doing studio work.

Lot of folks like NFLN but to me they are just as bad as ESPN. Would love them if I was from NY, Boston, Dallas, Green Bay or Philly.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Last edited by drdiags on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:12 pm 
* NET Philistine *

sadhappy wrote:
Sign37now wrote:

The Seahawks defense wants to destroy something beautiful. Sunday will not be a good day to be Tom Brady.

I am Tom Brady's broken nose.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 pm 
NET Practice Squad

Aros wrote:
Ampedhawk wrote:

Indeed. I can't watch NFL Network because of Sanders and Irvin. They may have football smarts but they are painful to watch. Two humans that think their shit don't stink.

Rodney Harrison on NBC may be the worst of all of them.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

KCHawkGirl wrote:

True. I quit listening to them all together. Sports radio and podcasts are the way to go.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 pm 
* NET Sage *

NBC bought the exclusive rights to have a "highlights" type show immediately after the action.. that's why ESPN's format is so different now.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

That's right...Like Shadowhawk said...I get it but it still stinks.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm 
* NET Sage *

Aros wrote:
That's right...Like Shadowhawk said...I get it but it still stinks.

Totally agree. Loved NFL Primetime. Everything from the "whoop!" to the sick music playing underneath the highlights.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:00 pm 
NET Veteran

I miss the old Primetime format too. Just changd my cable package... what are the times/channel names of the NFL Network highlights shows?
If I can also find a bar down here in Oly that has that channel, it would be a great Sunday-night hangout.

Last edited by olyfan63 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
NET Veteran

Aros wrote:
Apparently.

I have given up on all the tv shows other than the fox pregame. I come to the net now for my info. TV sucks.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 pm 
NET Veteran

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:16 am 
NET Pro Bowler

Aros wrote:
Ampedhawk wrote:

Don't forget Faulk. He's as unwatchable as the other two. His constant and endless Seahawk hate makes me want to :pukeface:

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 am 
* 17Power Blogger *

Todd, I hate to be a butt, but this is kinda naive. ESPN isn't going to adjust its programming for Seattle fans any more than a fancy restaurant would adjust its cooking for homeless people. Not its primary source of revenue.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:41 am 
NET Veteran

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
Todd, I hate to be a butt, but this is kinda naive. ESPN isn't going to adjust its programming for Seattle fans any more than a fancy restaurant would adjust its cooking for homeless people. Not its primary source of revenue.

Can't we at least get a happy hour?

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]