Good win, but....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Good win, but....
Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:11 pm
  • Still disgusted with this offense. Well, except for Marshawn Lynch.

If we could score a TD in the Red Zone this offense wold be decent. But kudos to the awesome defense for bringing it again!!!

Also, big UPS to Throwdown for setting up a Gameday chatroom for us. Well done my homey.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Re: Good win, but....
Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:15 pm
  • The offense clearly needs to improve but I believe they're showing improvement. No reason to be disgusted, I don't think, but they still have a little way to go. I'm confident they'll get there.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:25 pm
  • I think the offense was great today, there was some big plays called back. Heck, that one play for 50+ yards was HUGE. The zebras are still killing us for the GB game.

Wilson really responded. Excellent work for the young man, the first pick was all on him, but he came back without issue.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:28 pm
  • Yeah the offense needs to improve still by leaps and bounds. I mean we dominated the Panthers and only won by 4 points.

And note to Breno.........you did not need to hold on that 50 yard bomb!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:34 pm
  • Progress today, haven't seen final stats but I know rw3 missed one pass b4 half, were getin there. I m still ridin shotgun on the Russell bus!
    Go hawks!
    ps thank you god the hawks won this week, if they didn't id have to be ghost all week arpund. Net!
    And I'm too addicted to go thru that now!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:36 pm
  • yeah thanks Throwdown for setting that up and sorry again for bailing
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:00 pm
  • No way. The offense is about to take off, IMO. I saw HUGE progress today. And, consideing the murders row of DC's and starting a rookie QB, I aw today's game as the last step before clicking.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:20 pm
  • Following the bus in my own ride but not riding it yet. Wilson has the potential to be excellent but I do worry about his size and that and his inconsistancy int he first few games have kept me from going all out. Almost got the Wilson home jersey 2 week ago but considering it's over $100 and he is still leving me with doubts I sprung for the good o'l #12 instead
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:23 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Still disgusted with this offense. Well, except for Marshawn Lynch.

If we could score a TD in the Red Zone this offense wold be decent. But kudos to the awesome defense for bringing it again!!!

Also, big UPS to Throwdown for setting up a Gameday chatroom for us. Well done my homey.

:13:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:25 pm
  • Yeah, Throwdown did a great job setting up a chat for, although I eventually had to leave when a troll started to spam it.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:31 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Still disgusted with this offense. Well, except for Marshawn Lynch.

Not trying to nitpick too much because I know the offense still has a ways to go, but I'm pretty sure Tate's 13 yard TD was in the Red Zone.
    We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. I do not see coincidence,
    I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny.
    BBlades89
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Well, Marshawn did have a bad play or two, and didn't run all that well in the red zone. But that first down to help run some clock was good.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:40 pm
  • I was actually impressed with our offense. Minus the picks and penalties though. I think Russell is on the verge of breaking out. Give the man time.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:47 pm
  • yes, way to go! good win...but

the panthers really kind of stunk today too. so many missed opportunities. hawks capitalized though so smiles all around. get those W's!!!
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 pm
  • why does there have to be a but, can't anyone actually be happy about something?

This game was EARNED.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:02 pm
  • hawkfan1975 wrote:yes, way to go! good win...but

the panthers really kind of stunk today too. so many missed opportunities. hawks capitalized though so smiles all around. get those W's!!!

uh, our defense completely dominated them at home in what was a must win game for them. 1 fg. Mass chaos and confusion. That's the result. What do they normally average like 29 points? They led the entire national football league in redzone scoring, we had a 4 down stand and and theld them to 1 fieldgoal. In thier place.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:04 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:why does there have to be a but, can't anyone actually be happy about something?

This game was EARNED.

I don't know about others but I'll easily add my "but" because I love my Seahawks. Been this way since seeing zorn and largent in my dome.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:48 pm
  • The OP doesn't believe in happy endings.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 pm
  • Definitely saw improvement today by the offense. Still have a ways to go clearly but not all hope is lost. I'm actually very hopeful for the offense blossoming this year. I see Wilson averaging 220-250 yards passing in November. Red zone efficiency improving. More TDs less FGs. It's coming peeps.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 am
  • Hey, look, a road win!

bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 am
  • Def was great we expect that now, Offense well ... don't want to expect to be the same it has been so far this season, for the rest of the season.

Was great to see more of Zach Miller today.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 am
  • This offense is actually much better than last year at this time. I don't think people quite remember how putrid our offense was last year before Marshawn got going.

We can run.

We don't have as many 3 and outs.

Red zone efficiency will come with time although it is horrible right now.

But at least we are getting in the red zone.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:17 am
  • I thought the offense definitely showed improvement today. It's still frustrating, but they were better on 3rd down and they got Rice, Baldwin and Miller involved.

The penalties are eating us alive. That 56-yard pass to Tate was a thing of beauty, but thanks to Blockhead Breno it got wiped out.

It's still a very conservative approach, but it looks like they are finding some things that Wilson does well.

Oh by the way, it's possible to be happy about a tough road win and still be critical of an aspect of the team. Of course we all like to win, and we are thankful for the amazing defense that keeps us in every game. But there is no need to poo poo an OP like this, because factually it's correct. This offense is still holding us back. I don't think it will stay that way, but at some point we are going to need to score 20+ to win a game...possibly this week.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I thought the offense definitely showed improvement today. It's still frustrating, but they were better on 3rd down and they got Rice, Baldwin and Miller involved.

The penalties are eating us alive. That 56-yard pass to Tate was a thing of beauty, but thanks to Blockhead Breno it got wiped out.

It's still a very conservative approach, but it looks like they are finding some things that Wilson does well.

Oh by the way, it's possible to be happy about a tough road win and still be critical of an aspect of the team. Of course we all like to win, and we are thankful for the amazing defense that keeps us in every game. But there is no need to poo poo an OP like this, because factually it's correct. This offense is still holding us back. I don't think it will stay that way, but at some point we are going to need to score 20+ to win a game...possibly this week.

The offense showed progress. Wilson showed progress. Zero three and outs. Much improved 3rd down conversion rate. Controlled the clock and continually gave the Panthers poor field position. Yes, the red zone offense needs to improve. Yes, Wilson still need to develop and improve his game (the placement of that pick six was awful). But Wilson's accuracy and completion percentage were good for the most part. He threw for over 200 yards, which is what people here were screaming for.

Were people expecting a big explosion in offense? 400+ yards? 4 TDs? If so, there's no wonder there are threads complaining today. That's not how it usually works. Every part of this offense has to work at improving and getting better. Wilson. The receivers. The O-line. All of it. And those improvements are not likely to be massive in scale between one week and the next. We can hope, though, that enough incremental improvements at all areas will continue to mean steps forward for the offense. People expecting leaps are going to end up doom-and-glooming it up when they could be enjoying a hard fought road win that LOTS of folks here had penciled in as a loss.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 am
  • Vols....we both know the offense will be growing as the year progresses. This team is definitely built on the defensive side, and rarely does a team have both sides of the ball at elite level.

Patience is a virtue and that should be the Mantra.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 am
  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:This offense is actually much better than last year at this time. I don't think people quite remember how putrid our offense was last year before Marshawn got going.

We can run.

ummm, no, it isn't at all better than last year at this time. In fact, it's flip flopped.
    After 5 games:

2012 17.2 pts/gm 287.2 yds/gm 147.0 passing 140.2 rushing
    2011 18.8 pts/gm 290.0 yds/gm 207.0 passing 83.0 rushing

Our rushing game is now clicking, but our passing game took as big a step backwards as our rushing game has progressed. I hate to point out the obvious, but with TJack passing the ball, we averaged 60 yards more per game. That would move us from one of the worst in the NFL to right about the middle of the pack offensively.

We'd be 5-0 right now, I'm sure of it. We're that close in both those losses. And an extra 60 yards passing vs Green Bay we don't need that Hail Mary. An extra 60 yards vs Carolina we win by more than 4.

Now, I HATED us picking up TJack, though he won my respect last year. And we all KNOW Flynn easily beat out TJack this year. So if A>B and B>C then it stands to reason doesn't it, that we'd be 5-0 if not for tendinitis.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:This offense is actually much better than last year at this time. I don't think people quite remember how putrid our offense was last year before Marshawn got going.

We can run.

ummm, no, it isn't at all better than last year at this time. In fact, it's flip flopped.
    After 5 games:

Our rushing game is now clicking, but our passing game took as big a step backwards as our rushing game has progressed. I hate to point out the obvious, but with TJack passing the ball, we averaged 60 yards more per game. That would move us from one of the worst in the NFL to right about the middle of the pack offensively.

We'd be 5-0 right now, I'm sure of it. We're that close in both those losses. And an extra 60 yards passing vs Green Bay we don't need that Hail Mary. An extra 60 yards vs Carolina we win by more than 4.

Now, I HATED us picking up TJack, though he won my respect last year. And we all KNOW Flynn easily beat out TJack this year. So if A>B and B>C then it stands to reason doesn't it, that we'd be 5-0 if not for tendinitis.

Look at the first 3 games of 2011 versus the 2 that followed as far as passing yardage goes. Ask yourself what changed between them (hint, it rhymes with "mo muddle"). In 2011, the passing game had 176 attempts through 5 games. This year, it's 125. That's a difference of 10 attempts per game, on average. Do you think it's possible that if Wilson was throwing 10 more times per game, it would equal about 60 more yards per game? The number of attempts is being driven by the coaches.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 am
  • (hint, it rhymes with "mo muddle").
    LOL

Progress is coming, receivers need to do a better job too.
    chiltech500
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:31 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:I think the offense was great today, there was some big plays called back. Heck, that one play for 50+ yards was HUGE. The zebras are still killing us for the GB game.

Wilson really responded. Excellent work for the young man, the first pick was all on him, but he came back without issue.

The offense was not great. Six points going into the 4th quarter against one of the worst defenses in the league is about as far from "great" as you can get.

Add in the fact that the only TD we scored was after the great Browner play gave the offense a short field.

I've said it before, with this defense, we should be winning these sort of games 24-10, not having the game come down to the last drive seemingly every game. If Newton makes that 4th down throw, did you have faith in Wilson leading us down the field to win the game? I sure as heck didn't.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 am
  • I love ya Bro, but it is improving. It ain't there, but the wheels are movin' and we're goin' in the right direction.

Perhaps this strategy of Carroll's is working... perhaps.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    "Check your PMs"
    Pithy Radish.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 am
  • When you totally dominate both sides of the ball, and look up late in the 2nd quarter and see 6-0 and are 1 TD from being behind.....you know you have problems on offense...period.
    "Improvement" can come from who you play-
    Verndog
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:38 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:Oh by the way, it's possible to be happy about a tough road win and still be critical of an aspect of the team. Of course we all like to win, and we are thankful for the amazing defense that keeps us in every game. But there is no need to poo poo an OP like this, because factually it's correct. This offense is still holding us back. I don't think it will stay that way, but at some point we are going to need to score 20+ to win a game...possibly this week.

I LOVED the win. LOVED it. We kicked their butts all over the field. Doesn't mean all is well however, so thank you for pointing out what I thought was obvious.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am
  • Verndog wrote:When you totally dominate both sides of the ball, and look up late in the 2nd quarter and see 6-0 and are 1 TD from being behind.....you know you have problems on offense...period.

Penalites have really hurt this offense. Giacomini cost this team 80 yards in just the first quarter. I bet if you looked at all the rookie QB's, Wilson has had to deal with more drive killing penalties than any of them.

FYI, were watching the development of our franchise QB RFN. Try to enjoy it.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 am
  • Chukarhawk wrote:
    Verndog wrote:When you totally dominate both sides of the ball, and look up late in the 2nd quarter and see 6-0 and are 1 TD from being behind.....you know you have problems on offense...period.

Penalites have really hurt this offense. Giacomini cost this team 80 yards in just the first quarter. I bet if you looked at all the rookie QB's, Wilson has had to deal with more drive killing penalties than any of them.

FYI, were watching the development of our franchise QB RFN. Try to enjoy it.

No one's saying it's all Wilson's fault, there's plenty of blame to go around as to why our offense is struggling. But as the team's leader, it's on Wilson to command the huddle and make everyone around him better.

btw, other rookie QB's don't have the pieces around them to compete for a Superbowl like Wilson does. Sorry, but the bar is higher here.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 am
  • We dont have the recieving corps to be a contender and right now were not disciplined enough to win consistantly. This is not a superbowl team even with a top ten QB. Top 10 QB's get that way by having consistant pass blocking. We don't have that right now.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 am
  • Chukarhawk wrote: This is not a superbowl team even with a top ten QB. Top 10 QB's get that way by having consistant pass blocking.

We just need top 10 or so in QB rating, not yards. If we had that...yes we have a SB contender...absolutely. #1 or top 5 D, top 5 RB...yes, the pieces are here to go deep into playoffs.

Right now we have bottom 28 in both yards and PR....but he outplayed Newton....got to give him that. 8)
    "Improvement" can come from who you play-
    Verndog
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:This offense is actually much better than last year at this time. I don't think people quite remember how putrid our offense was last year before Marshawn got going.

We can run.

After 5 games:

I think your looking at those numbers all wrong. There was an imbalance between the rushing and passing numbers last year. This year so far there is more of the balance that PC said all along he wanted. If you run more you pass less and the only way to get both numbers up is the be better in both passing and running the ball. I think you'll find that both numbers will improve substantially once RW gets better and the penalties are reduced. In your example there is almost no difference in points per game and yards per game. PC admitted that the passing game was sacrificed in order to bring RW along slowly. This is all part of the process.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am
  • Also on Sunday, Marshawn would have had another 100 yard game. He had multiple (at least 2 or 3) long runs called back on bogus holding calls or unnecessary holding by the O-line. I think one was a 15 yard run and the other was 20+.

Penalties that negate runs like that really kill momentum for the passing game too.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information