Good win, but....

Uffda

Reaction score
Def was great we expect that now, Offense well ... don't want to expect to be the same it has been so far this season, for the rest of the season.

Was great to see more of Zach Miller today.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
This offense is actually much better than last year at this time. I don't think people quite remember how putrid our offense was last year before Marshawn got going.

We can run.

We don't have as many 3 and outs.

Red zone efficiency will come with time although it is horrible right now.

But at least we are getting in the red zone.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I thought the offense definitely showed improvement today. It's still frustrating, but they were better on 3rd down and they got Rice, Baldwin and Miller involved.

The penalties are eating us alive. That 56-yard pass to Tate was a thing of beauty, but thanks to Blockhead Breno it got wiped out.

It's still a very conservative approach, but it looks like they are finding some things that Wilson does well.

Oh by the way, it's possible to be happy about a tough road win and still be critical of an aspect of the team. Of course we all like to win, and we are thankful for the amazing defense that keeps us in every game. But there is no need to poo poo an OP like this, because factually it's correct. This offense is still holding us back. I don't think it will stay that way, but at some point we are going to need to score 20+ to win a game...possibly this week.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3rep1brz said:
I thought the offense definitely showed improvement today. It's still frustrating, but they were better on 3rd down and they got Rice, Baldwin and Miller involved.

The penalties are eating us alive. That 56-yard pass to Tate was a thing of beauty, but thanks to Blockhead Breno it got wiped out.

It's still a very conservative approach, but it looks like they are finding some things that Wilson does well.

Oh by the way, it's possible to be happy about a tough road win and still be critical of an aspect of the team. Of course we all like to win, and we are thankful for the amazing defense that keeps us in every game. But there is no need to poo poo an OP like this, because factually it's correct. This offense is still holding us back. I don't think it will stay that way, but at some point we are going to need to score 20+ to win a game...possibly this week.

The offense showed progress. Wilson showed progress. Zero three and outs. Much improved 3rd down conversion rate. Controlled the clock and continually gave the Panthers poor field position. Yes, the red zone offense needs to improve. Yes, Wilson still need to develop and improve his game (the placement of that pick six was awful). But Wilson's accuracy and completion percentage were good for the most part. He threw for over 200 yards, which is what people here were screaming for.

Were people expecting a big explosion in offense? 400+ yards? 4 TDs? If so, there's no wonder there are threads complaining today. That's not how it usually works. Every part of this offense has to work at improving and getting better. Wilson. The receivers. The O-line. All of it. And those improvements are not likely to be massive in scale between one week and the next. We can hope, though, that enough incremental improvements at all areas will continue to mean steps forward for the offense. People expecting leaps are going to end up doom-and-glooming it up when they could be enjoying a hard fought road win that LOTS of folks here had penciled in as a loss.

Largent80

Reaction score
Vols....we both know the offense will be growing as the year progresses. This team is definitely built on the defensive side, and rarely does a team have both sides of the ball at elite level.

Patience is a virtue and that should be the Mantra.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1fdtqzf4 said:
This offense is actually much better than last year at this time. I don't think people quite remember how putrid our offense was last year before Marshawn got going.

We can run.

ummm, no, it isn't at all better than last year at this time. In fact, it's flip flopped.
After 5 games:

2012 17.2 pts/gm 287.2 yds/gm 147.0 passing 140.2 rushing
2011 18.8 pts/gm 290.0 yds/gm 207.0 passing 83.0 rushing

Our rushing game is now clicking, but our passing game took as big a step backwards as our rushing game has progressed. I hate to point out the obvious, but with TJack passing the ball, we averaged 60 yards more per game. That would move us from one of the worst in the NFL to right about the middle of the pack offensively.

We'd be 5-0 right now, I'm sure of it. We're that close in both those losses. And an extra 60 yards passing vs Green Bay we don't need that Hail Mary. An extra 60 yards vs Carolina we win by more than 4.

Now, I HATED us picking up TJack, though he won my respect last year. And we all KNOW Flynn easily beat out TJack this year. So if A>B and B>C then it stands to reason doesn't it, that we'd be 5-0 if not for tendinitis.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":6korqdkj said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":6korqdkj said:

We can run.

ummm, no, it isn't at all better than last year at this time. In fact, it's flip flopped.
After 5 games:

Our rushing game is now clicking, but our passing game took as big a step backwards as our rushing game has progressed. I hate to point out the obvious, but with TJack passing the ball, we averaged 60 yards more per game. That would move us from one of the worst in the NFL to right about the middle of the pack offensively.

We'd be 5-0 right now, I'm sure of it. We're that close in both those losses. And an extra 60 yards passing vs Green Bay we don't need that Hail Mary. An extra 60 yards vs Carolina we win by more than 4.

Now, I HATED us picking up TJack, though he won my respect last year. And we all KNOW Flynn easily beat out TJack this year. So if A>B and B>C then it stands to reason doesn't it, that we'd be 5-0 if not for tendinitis.

Look at the first 3 games of 2011 versus the 2 that followed as far as passing yardage goes. Ask yourself what changed between them (hint, it rhymes with "mo muddle"). In 2011, the passing game had 176 attempts through 5 games. This year, it's 125. That's a difference of 10 attempts per game, on average. Do you think it's possible that if Wilson was throwing 10 more times per game, it would equal about 60 more yards per game? The number of attempts is being driven by the coaches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1bn8ux5a said:
I think the offense was great today, there was some big plays called back. Heck, that one play for 50+ yards was HUGE. The zebras are still killing us for the GB game.

Wilson really responded. Excellent work for the young man, the first pick was all on him, but he came back without issue.

The offense was not great. Six points going into the 4th quarter against one of the worst defenses in the league is about as far from "great" as you can get.

Add in the fact that the only TD we scored was after the great Browner play gave the offense a short field.

I've said it before, with this defense, we should be winning these sort of games 24-10, not having the game come down to the last drive seemingly every game. If Newton makes that 4th down throw, did you have faith in Wilson leading us down the field to win the game? I sure as heck didn't.

Rocket

Reaction score
I love ya Bro, but it is improving. It ain't there, but the wheels are movin' and we're goin' in the right direction.

Perhaps this strategy of Carroll's is working... perhaps.

Verndog

Reaction score
When you totally dominate both sides of the ball, and look up late in the 2nd quarter and see 6-0 and are 1 TD from being behind.....you know you have problems on offense...period.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3sloq5ra said:
I LOVED the win. LOVED it. We kicked their butts all over the field. Doesn't mean all is well however, so thank you for pointing out what I thought was obvious.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Verndog":1ysay79h said:
When you totally dominate both sides of the ball, and look up late in the 2nd quarter and see 6-0 and are 1 TD from being behind.....you know you have problems on offense...period.
Penalites have really hurt this offense. Giacomini cost this team 80 yards in just the first quarter. I bet if you looked at all the rookie QB's, Wilson has had to deal with more drive killing penalties than any of them.

FYI, were watching the development of our franchise QB RFN. Try to enjoy it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1njjhjp5 said:
Verndog":1njjhjp5 said:
Penalites have really hurt this offense. Giacomini cost this team 80 yards in just the first quarter. I bet if you looked at all the rookie QB's, Wilson has had to deal with more drive killing penalties than any of them.

FYI, were watching the development of our franchise QB RFN. Try to enjoy it.

No one's saying it's all Wilson's fault, there's plenty of blame to go around as to why our offense is struggling. But as the team's leader, it's on Wilson to command the huddle and make everyone around him better.

btw, other rookie QB's don't have the pieces around them to compete for a Superbowl like Wilson does. Sorry, but the bar is higher here.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
We dont have the recieving corps to be a contender and right now were not disciplined enough to win consistantly. This is not a superbowl team even with a top ten QB. Top 10 QB's get that way by having consistant pass blocking. We don't have that right now.

Verndog

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2ywtgk7k said:
This is not a superbowl team even with a top ten QB. Top 10 QB's get that way by having consistant pass blocking.

We just need top 10 or so in QB rating, not yards. If we had that...yes we have a SB contender...absolutely. #1 or top 5 D, top 5 RB...yes, the pieces are here to go deep into playoffs.

Right now we have bottom 28 in both yards and PR....but he outplayed Newton....got to give him that. 8)

v1rotv2

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2ect8l6t said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2ect8l6t said:

We can run.

After 5 games:

I think your looking at those numbers all wrong. There was an imbalance between the rushing and passing numbers last year. This year so far there is more of the balance that PC said all along he wanted. If you run more you pass less and the only way to get both numbers up is the be better in both passing and running the ball. I think you'll find that both numbers will improve substantially once RW gets better and the penalties are reduced. In your example there is almost no difference in points per game and yards per game. PC admitted that the passing game was sacrificed in order to bring RW along slowly. This is all part of the process.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Also on Sunday, Marshawn would have had another 100 yard game. He had multiple (at least 2 or 3) long runs called back on bogus holding calls or unnecessary holding by the O-line. I think one was a 15 yard run and the other was 20+.

Penalties that negate runs like that really kill momentum for the passing game too.