The Pats are likely to neutralize our defense.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Unfortunately, I would say the Pats and broncos are the only offenses in my opinion that can beat our D handily. Our D is designed with big DB's to overpower the downfield threats of the NFL. But with teams that specialize in short-game efficiency, I feel they can pick us apart. Remember the preseason game when Peyton Manning had those drives where he was able to move downfield at will? It's the same concept.

Therefore, I would say
    -we are heavy underdogs next week, even at home
    -the only way we can beat them is in either a shootout, or in playing "keep-away" or whatever you call it when we try to keep the ball away...
    oasis
    NET Starter

• Why do you not trust out defense? Why?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Maybe so.
    Have you watched them at all so far this season? Their safeties are horrid! If we can "find" and offense we could score!
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• Welker is 7 inches shorter and about 40 pounds lighter than Browner. Just have him bump him once and Welker will be done for the day :lol:
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• I won't doubt this defense until someone proves them wrong. Maybe it's the Patriots, but I just don't think so yet.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• oasis wrote:Unfortunately, I would say the Pats and broncos are the only offenses in my opinion that can beat our D handily. Our D is designed with big DB's to overpower the downfield threats of the NFL. But with teams that specialize in short-game efficiency, I feel they can pick us apart. Remember the preseason game when Peyton Manning had those drives where he was able to move downfield at will? It's the same concept.

Therefore, I would say
    -the only way we can beat them is in either a shootout, or in playing "keep-away" or whatever you call it when we try to keep the ball away...

New England has opened as a 4-point favorite.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• i say we shut them the hell out. there i said it.
    They've run up the score on the Titans (1 - 4), Broncos (2 - 3), and bills ( 2 - 3 and have opted to not play any defense).

Have the seahawks played a losing team yet?

(oh yeah the packers heh heheh)
    Last edited by Seeker on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

• I agree to an extent that seattle will have a tougher time, especially with Aaron Hernandez possibly coming back. I don't think they're gonna have a hay day though. Its at home and New England has struggled in pass pro. I do agree that the Hawks need to play keep away, but I don't think it will be a dominant offensive showing by the pats and that Seattle has to win via a shootout.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• Hmmm. The Hawks D has faced 2 very good QBs - Romo and Rogers - and they held their own, so I agree with most that this D has proven themselves and feel they can walk away with a win.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• truehawksfan wrote:Hmmm. The Hawks D has faced 2 very good QBs - Romo and Rogers - and they held their own, so I agree with most that this D has proven themselves and feel they can walk away with a win.

That's my point. Even though we beat two very good QB's, they do not have the short-game like the pats and broncos.
    oasis
    NET Starter

• Pretty sure we've held two of the best scoring offenses in the NFL pretty much scoreless so far this season. Brady has never faced the Seahawks in Seattle, last time NE was here Cassell was the QB. Bump and run on the outside to shut down the quick stuff, and there is no way Brady is going to be able to buy time against Clem and Irvin....
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• We have faced three good offenses so far this year, and those offenses in those games have a combined scoring of 23 points if my memory serves me correctly. That's pretty darn good if you ask me.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I can't believe we opened as A 4 point dog in our house. No way.
    That's balls Vegas.

I'm in for 20$ !!!
    5280Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I think we're built pretty well to counter their big te's. They wont be able to rely on just being exponentially bigger than the men covering them when our secondary are all either 6'3" or Earl Thomas (who is proving to be all universe).

If Rusty continues to improve and helps the offense be a little more dynamic, i like our chances at home.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Brady's career might end in Seattle. I predict a "giantesque" beat down of Brady. Especially with Mebane, Alan Branch and Jason Jones coming up the middle. The world will find out why the Patriot running back was a late round pick. :)
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Navyhawkfan187 wrote:Pretty sure we've held two of the best scoring offenses in the NFL pretty much scoreless so far this season. Brady has never faced the Seahawks in Seattle, last time NE was here Cassell was the QB. Bump and run on the outside to shut down the quick stuff, and there is no way Brady is going to be able to buy time against Clem and Irvin....

Maybe my football knowledge is a bit off, but isn't the "quick stuff" over the middle... where Brady gives his first look... because he's weird like that...and we suck over the middle...?
    oasis
    NET Starter

• Seriously? Someone is calling out OUR defense? Get out of here until you watch some of our games.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• The way this defense is playing, I wouldn't EVER count on a win, especially at the Clink.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I have to agree. Our D always seems to get beat on those short dump off passes or against smaller, faster receivers. There will be no deep threat, but I expect the Pats to put up 20-30. We'll hold them when necessary though, and our offense needs to take advantage.
    Superbowl.
    NJHawksFan
    NET Practice Squad

• I dont think NE takes too well to being bullied. And, they're about to get bullied.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• oasis wrote:Unfortunately, I would say the Pats and broncos are the only offenses in my opinion that can beat our D handily. Our D is designed with big DB's to overpower the downfield threats of the NFL. But with teams that specialize in short-game efficiency, I feel they can pick us apart. Remember the preseason game when Peyton Manning had those drives where he was able to move downfield at will? It's the same concept.

Therefore, I would say

Maybe up in Foxboro or on a neutral field. Not in Seattle. It's going to be LOUD. The Patriots haven't come out this way since Matt Cassel was under center.

Not to mention, unlike teams they've had success against, we can shut down the run and make them very one dimensional. I think we matchup very well with the Patriots .. at least when the defense is on the field.

The offense? We won't go there.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• He does do quick throws over the middle, and Green Bay was a little success with the same quick throws. You have to remember Arizona pretty much shut them down in New England. I like our chances defensively in the Clink, especially with a week to scheme against their quick throws and heavy TE sets. Seattle will need to do more offensively, because I don't see us keeping them out of the end zone though.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

• Take the 4 points and expect Seattle to alter Brady's ass neck.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• If anyone can pick apart our defense it's the Pats. Our D is rock solid up front, on the edges, and deep, but we have an obvious weak spot in the middle. It seems like pretty much every time a team gashes us, that's where they're doing it. With Gronk, Welker, and possibly Hernandez and Edelman, they have plenty of guys to take advantage. You have to figure that the coaches are going to focus on that this week, though. They prepped really well for Newton, only allowing one good option and one solid scramble. Hopefully now that the middle will be at real risk (frankly, none of our opponents were really ready to exploit it), they'll shore it up.
    aku
    NET Rookie

• The Packers came into our house with all the promise of being the best Offense in the league. They have never been the same after our defense laid the smackdown. The Pats two losses are to teams that bring the "D". Why shouldn't we then repeat that?
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• rastahawk wrote:The Packers came into our house with all the promise of being the best Offense in the league. They have never been the same after our defense laid the smackdown. The Pats two losses are to teams that bring the "D". Why shouldn't we then repeat that?

Brady will feel the pain this weekend! Beat on them until they cant compete any longer that's how you beat them!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• The question is, will NE's OL be able to give Brady enough time to throw? They didn't against AZ. We get them in the CLink. Our D is better than AZ's, and we only have one less sack on the year. I say BRING IT!!!
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• Now I'm going to qualify what I'm about to write by saying that New England IS a good offensive team and that Brady (obviously) is a future HOF'er. That said, I do believe that the Patriots are a bit overrated.

If one goes to the stats, you will find that the Patriots Offense is ranked #1 Overall in the NFL -- #1 in terms of passing yards/game (438.3) ... and #8 in rushing yards/game (144). BUT you have to qualify that a bit by asking, "Just WHO is it they have done all that against?" Here is a breakdown of the teams they have played thus far ...

Win at Tennessee 34-13 ...
    The Titans defense is ranked 31st in overall (27th in Passing Yards/Game [285.0] ... and 27th in Rushing Yards/Game [136.5])
    The Titans defense has given up 151 Points (MOST in the NFL)

Loss at home against Arizona 20-18 ...
    The Cardinals defense is now ranked 28th overall (15th in Passing Yards/Game [231.0] ... and 16th in Rushing Yards/Game [103])
    The Cardinals defense has given up 78 Points (9th Best in the NFL)

Loss at Baltimore 31-30 ...
    the Ravens defense is ranked 21st overall (29th in Passing Yards/Game [295.8] ... and 13th in Rushing Yards/Game [94.5])
    The Ravens defense has given up 83 Points (tied for 11th in the NFL)

Win at Buffalo 52-28 ...
    the Bills defense is ranked 25th overall (23rd in Passing Yards/Game [269.5] ... and 28th in Rushing Yards/Game [137.0])
    The Bills defense has given up 131 Points (30th in the NFL)

Win at home against Denver 31-21 ...
    the Broncos defense is ranked 8th overall (13th in Passing Yards/Game [220.5] ... and 9th in Rushing Yards/Game [87.5]
    The Broncos defense has given up 83 Points (tied for 11th in the NFL)

In contrast, the Seahawks defense ...
    Has given up the 4th fewest yards (1103)
    Is tied with Detroit for the 9th fewest Passing Yards/Game given up (213.0)
    Is ranked #2 in fewest Rushing Yards/Game allowed [62.8]
    and is 2nd in fewest points allowed (58, which is only 2 points -- our safety today -- behind Houston for a share of the #1 Spot).

Given that this one's at the CLINK and that the House will be Quaking ... I'd say we most definitely have a far better chance than a lot of National Experts out there are undoubtedly going to give us this week. ;)
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• I say we got a good chance.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

• I like our chances.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• We will win this Sunday. BOOK IT.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• kearly is cool with us losing.

For some reason.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• im also good for twenty..no way the Pats beat us at home...GO 12
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

• I like this matchup>going to be tough,Brady is a hall of fame QB but the D is hungry for him.The Pats D is not very good.If we can score 21 I think we can win.Not going to lie though.The thought of New England getting Welker vs Trufant in the slot matchup worries me.
    canzag
    NET Veteran

• This will be on the rookies and particularly Wagner. Can he shut down the short middle? Irvin needs to have a great game and disrupt Brady's timing and Wilson is going to need to have his best game.

Can we play disciplined? Penalties could rapidly derail this game.

Did Welker play against AZ?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• if we suck against the short passing game why'd we annhialate GB?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:if we suck against the short passing game why'd we annhialate GB?

By annhilate you mean barely eek out a win?

I'm not complaining about a win, just calling you out on your choice of words here :stirthepot:
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• THIS is the game where the national media sees what's up in Seattloe. you know people are watching New England. This is our coming out party game. We saw glimpses of RW throwing all over the field this week. I don't doubt his abilities anymore--the kid is a baller. I say we beat them 28-17.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:
    themunn wrote:if we suck against the short passing game why'd we annhialate GB?

By annhilate you mean barely eek out a win?

I'm not complaining about a win, just calling you out on your choice of words here :stirthepot:

I thought the same thing, but denesively speaking, we did. As much as anyone in the past 3 years.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• I actually think we are well suited to beat the Pats offense except if they go hurry up the entire game. That is our only weakness. We are dependent on personnel switching to make our defense go. Otherwise we can stuff the run, disrupt the short passing game, cover the deep passes and rush the QB - but only if we have the right guys in.

Otherwise -

1) They have no deep threat.

2) Their offensive line is good but not great.

3) They are depending on their run game to get first downs.

4) Their wrs are susceptible to being bumped off the line.

If Hernandez plays it definitely creates a mismatch for us but I am sure that we will deal with it.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Seattle will need to look like the Green Bay/Carolina games on defense and the Dallas second half on offense in order to beat the Patriots. The Hoodie will try to dink-and-dunk us to death in order to neutralize our pass rush, and he has the QB to do it, so we'll just have to shorten the clock and answer their drives. We've definitely got a chance, but that's the formula.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    *snip*

In contrast, the Seahawks defense ...
    Has given up the 4th fewest yards (1103)
    Is tied with Detroit for the 9th fewest Passing Yards/Game given up (213.0)
    Is ranked #2 in fewest Rushing Yards/Game allowed [62.8]
    and is 2nd in fewest points allowed (58, which is only 2 points -- our safety today -- behind Houston for a share of the #1 Spot).

Houston plays tonight, so Seattle might move into the #1 scoring position by the end of the night.

I also agree with Montana above. The Patriots are going to put up a couple scores on our defense, even at home. I don't think they're going to get to their normal 30 spot, but we are going to need the offense to show up and keep Brady off the field. Also, we're going to face our stiffest test in the run game as Ridley and Bolden are apparently capable of insane games.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I think the Hawks need to play the "keep away" game. Executing and getting first downs. Move the ball slowly and POUND Lynch. Don't give up on that run. If it means Wilson has a few designed runs, so be it, but keep the game close and get Brady pressured. Brady won't wuss out, but he will throw the ball into coverage under pressure.

I say beat down on Brady also, make him work for everything.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think that the defense can play well against the Pats, but it will be hard to keep them under 20 points. Will the offense be able to keep the hawks in the game? I have my doubts
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• The pats tend to struggle against teams with a good pass rush and Brady is not a mobile QB.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• Just a couple things that stick out in my mind with this upcoming game. Last year, Brady had a horrific game against the Bills. I believe he threw 4 interceptions and the Bills ended up winning. One of the biggest upsets last season. The Patriots use the no huddle offense quite a bit. Since this game is at the Clink, I think it will be down right impossible for them to run it with how loud we are.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

• I am quite sure the Patsies are dreading coming to Seattle to face #12 and the 11+ on that defense. Yeah, they will watch film and try to exploit whatever weaknesses they think they see, but whatever they draw up, they still must execute.

Hopefully the Hawks can do what they did yesterday on 3rd down, on BOTH sides of the ball.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Here is how I see it.

QB's - advantage Pats
    RB's- advantage Seahawks
    Receivers & TE's - advantage pats
    O line- wash
    D line - Seahawks
    Linebackers - Seahawks
    Corners - Seahawks
    Coaching - Pats

With the experience of Brady he will eat away the middle of the field with the big TE's.
    This will do two things, 1: move the ball down the field and 2: eat up the clock. I am predicting it will be quick drops and get rid of the ball. Thus no time to get to him. Three sacks at most. They saw what we did to GB and they will learn from the mistakes GB made in the first half. Once NE gets 10 points on the board and RW has to play from behind and play catch up, it's done. I would love to see a pure dominating performance from our D but I Wouldn't bet on it. They will be on the field for too long and become tired like GB did to them in the 2nd half of that game.
    bingotown
    NET Practice Squad

• I was nervous about the Green Bay game but I remember seeing a stat about Green Bay's schedule last year that seemed anecdotal at the time but now I'm thinking was pretty damn solid proof the Pack are a bit of a mirage. Green Bay didn't play one top 10 defense in 2011, they amassed all those stats and wins against lower tier defenses. I'm wondering if that is the same for Tom Brady and company this season.

I still give the Pat's a little benefit of the doubt as they were in the Superbowl last season, and played almost well enough to win, but I would be way more worried about playing the Texans. Plus, we're at home, it's uphill for other teams to win here. I can see Seattle losing but seeing them winning doesn't seem far fetched.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Brady's already played Arizona and Baltimore (gives up a lot of yards but not points).
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information