Random Thoughts™ on the Panthers game

AgentDib

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2fqz6awe said:
"love fest?" Can the hyperbole get any worse? All I see is people liking whatever bright spot they saw. Yes, the performance wasn't very good overall, but going from 'terrible' to 'bad' is progression, is it not?
You say it is hyperbole but I argue that "wasn't very good" is a major understatement. Our offense scored 13 points and cost us 7, for a net of +6 points over simply punting the ball every time. This was against arguably the weakest secondary we will face this season. If our defense was borderline top 10 then we would be 1-4 or 0-5 right now.

HawKnPeppa":2fqz6awe said:
My theory is that posts of this nature are written while sucking on a lemon.
Sorry, I missed the memo where I am supposed to be happy that our offense nearly cost us one of the better defensive performances I have ever seen from this team.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm finding more and more reasons to chalk up our offensive woes to penalties. They always seem to be happening during successful drives, which at least shows that we're stringing 1st downs together. Who knows where Wilson's stats would be without excruciatingly timely penalties?

Dreo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1t96zwta said:
I'm finding more and more reasons to chalk up our offensive woes to penalties. They always seem to be happening during successful drives, which at least shows that we're stringing 1st downs together. Who knows where Wilson's stats would be without excruciatingly timely penalties?

Good point. You could probably add +50 to Wilson's passing yardage and maybe another TD, at least, if the Breno holding call was missed.

What would that do to his passer rating I wonder?

jewhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":3i20sqag said:
I don't understand the love fest for our offense. We played better than last week but our improvement was from terrible to bad.

Today our defense held Carolina to a single field goal despite three turnovers by our offense and special teams. They also contributed three points, with the strip fumble that gave our offense the ball in field goal position. Despite this complete dominance we won by a mere four points. How are so many people happy with that?
The offensive performance was much better than the scoreboard shows. The offense was generally productive, but some fluky plays went against us that stalled drives:
-Our biggest gain of the day was wiped out by an unnecessary holding penalty. Instead of 1st down in the red zone, we had 1st and 20 in bad field position.
-Our biggest run of the day was wiped out by a non-existent (or called against the wrong player) holding penalty. Instead of 1st down near midfield, we had 2nd and 10 in bad field position.
-The interception on the Lynch bobble was when we were already in field goal range.

The offense had zero 3-and-outs, so even when drives stalled, we gave Carolina terrible field position throughout the game. The passing offense averaged 7.9 NY/A. Rice, Baldwin, and Miller all had season highs in yards and receptions, and Tate had another decent game. Wilson completed 76% of his passes for 8.8 Y/A despite his longest completion being wiped out by an unnecessary penalty. Those drive killers were fluke plays more than poor execution, but if the players continue to play like they did today those types of fluke plays will even out eventually.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree that our offense would have played a lot better if not for the penalties and interceptions. However, can you really label them as flukes at this point? Holding, false starts, and personal foul calls have been a consistent theme for our offensive line this season.

Maybe posters feel better about our offense than I do because they can more easily envision those mistakes going away. You can improve in any area, though, and I don't see why a problem with penalties is better than problems elsewhere.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Well, AD, the hold on Breno was legit, the one on Okung was shit, and the one on Obo was lame. Were there any false starts today? The personal foul on Clemons was at least a 3 point swing, and since we would have gotten the ball back at about the 40 with more than two minutes, might have been an even bigger swing. the illegal contact on BB was big, and for the first time, RW called a time out rather than get a delay of game.

There is improvement, but our team is still learning what it means to bring smart physicality. But, they are getting better.

jewhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":29ilcfum said:
I agree that our offense would have played a lot better if not for the penalties and interceptions. However, can you really label them as flukes at this point? Holding, false starts, and personal foul calls have been a consistent theme for our offensive line this season.
It's not that penalties in general are flukes - notice I didn't include things like Giacomini's personal foul knocking us back 15 yards. The fluky aspect is that away from the ball penalties that didn't affect the play occurred on what would have been game changing plays. We had an unnecessary hold take away a 50+ yard pass. Carolina's offense had an unnecessary hold (Smith tackling Sherman on a run play to the opposite side of the field) wipe out a 2 yard gain. Even if the undisciplined penalties don't go away, they won't consistently happen at such inopportune times as they did in this game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Carpenter had a false start when we were on our own 1 yard line but that wasn't a big deal to me. The holding was much more important (Breno, Okung, McQuistan, Obo) along with the personal fouls. I agree that Okung looked clean on the play he was whistled on, but I'll have to re-watch the game and see they didn't mix up the numbers before I blame that on the refs.

Seafan

Reaction score
I think a lot of fans forget how hard it's been for the Hawks to win on the east coast. This was a stellar performance by the Hawks to get this win.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
kearly":nf7hajd8 said:
Seattle plays two more games in the next 11 days, and they are probably the two toughest games remaining on Seattle's schedule (Patriots, @SF on 4 days rest). I don't know about you guys, but I'd be just fine with a 3-4 record so long as the Seahawks are competitive in both games. That said, they probably need a win in there somehow to feign contention. The NFC is crazy this year.

kearly, what is it about you and your perpetual need to find reasons to accommodate losing that makes me want to piss all over your otherwise wonderful posts? If you aren't finding ways to actually advocate losing (Suck For Luck) you are waxing defeatist as above quoted. It's pretty maddening.

The other thing I want to add as a Random Thought is Seattle should have only allowed ONE Carolina offensive play on our side of the 50 yard line in the first half. That being ET's dropped INT on the drive that resulted in points. Incredible first half by our D.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
One of the most dominant defensive displays I've seen since we got the team. Offensively, sure, we looked better. Marginally better. But since we were up against a pretty poor team, we should look better, so the jury is still out with me on how much was improvement and how much was Panther suckage. The biggest thing we can do to improve offensively is find a replacement for Breno. He is KILLING us. It's like Green Bay is paying him to screw up at exactly the worst moments. Not just today, but all season.

Mebane was a BEAST!!! Browner deserves the game ball, hands down. Oddly, the rushing game was sub par. Fortunately, sub par for the Hawks is still a pretty decent day running. If the refs aren't screwing us and Breno isn't screwing us, the offense probably gets at least 10 more points.

It being an east coast game offsets the Panthers being a sucky defense, IMO, so - taking in account the refs and Breno - I'd say we looked okay on offense. It didn't feel like it at the time, but when you look at the stats and consider all the factors, if we can play like that the rest of the year, we're going to win a lot of games.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2nbgc5my said:
kearly, what is it about you and your perpetual need to find reasons to accommodate losing that makes me want to piss all over your otherwise wonderful posts? If you aren't finding ways to actually advocate losing (Suck For Luck) you are waxing defeatist as above quoted. It's pretty maddening.

You must be good at yoga. You are very good at stretching. 8)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
kearly":107wtvgh said:
bestfightstory":107wtvgh said:

You must be good at yoga. You are very good at stretching. 8)

I understand yer trying to be modest here, but I don't think it's a stretch to say your posts are otherwise wonderful.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1lmkcbtu said:
Funny, because after the pick 6, I thought we would still win the game. Even after Marshawn's juggling act, I thought we would win. Our D was just not going to lose today.
And, we were snakebit. Every penalty was a momentum killer.

Did we even have a penalty that didn't wipe out a big gain? It seemed like every time we'd see a great pass for big yardage or a crucial 1st down, along came the penalties.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
When do we give some credit to the Panthers for playing some good ball too? The fumble on specials was well done, the bobble pick took some pretty good concentration and happened in pretty good coverage, and the pick was a bad throw, but the CB did take advantage, and his coverage was about as good as coverage as there can be when a little corner is covering a land mass. Luke Kuechly should have been the middle backer all along, he can run that defense. Their plan to keep Wilson from running was well thought out. As far as people saying we should have done better against that ranking of defense,we did. But penalized ourselves every big play, as Kip points out. And that defensive ranking is suspect, they played consecutive games against New York, New Orleans, and Atlanta. There are some players on that D.

Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Awesome post. I would have liked to hear your specific thoughts on Breno and what the heck that guy is thinking/ vs what should be done if it continues. Seriously, I am starting to hate him. Real or not, these things are getting called on us. Both our longest run and pass called back on stupid penalties.

dunceface

Reaction score
"Oh yes, and I liked the playcalling by Bevell today so much more than any of the previous weeks. He (with permission from Carroll) finally put a degree of trust on Wilson, and Wilson rewarded them for it. About time."

This also made me happy :th2thumbs:

12thMan1

Reaction score
AgentDib":1c3z1nz3 said:
I don't understand the love fest for our offense. We played better than last week but our improvement was from terrible to bad.

Today our defense held Carolina to a single field goal despite three turnovers by our offense and special teams. They also contributed three points, with the strip fumble that gave our offense the ball in field goal position. Despite this complete dominance we won by a mere four points. How are so many people happy with that?

A win is a win?

BlueTalons

Reaction score
One thing that was not brought up was the fact that the Panthers were #1 in Red Zone TD's % scored (mentioned by the game announcers.) They were 0-2 in the game.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1y6ytrlo said:
Also, I wanted to point out that the guy Kip calls 80's beard calls a real good NFL game. Tim Ryan always knows his facts, and his observation that it was Russell Wilson being afraid to make mistakes that was holding him back in the red zone was spot on. Tim calls games for the Niners in the pre-season, Played a few years in the league, played for USC, and is a radio host for Sirius NFL radio in the afternoons, and I think he, along with Lynch and Mayock, are the three best game callers there are right now. SOOOOOO much better than listening to Martz.

QFT. I remember commenting last year on how much Tim Ryan impressed me as a color commentator during my 17power post game write ups. There is almost never a detail he misses or an insight he fumbles.

That plus he has a sweet beard. I wonder if he uses a tiny comb on it?

Latest posts