Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Rivera - horrible call going for a TD
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:40 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

What a horsesh*t call. Down by 6, and you go for a TD on 4th and goal?

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Thanks, Ron!

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post subject: Re: Rivera - horrible call going for a TD
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Carroll just did it against Green Bay and we failed. Fortunately we got the ball back and Tate cleanly caught a winning TD.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:49 pm 
* NET Radish *

FlyingGreg wrote:
What a horsesh*t call. Down by 6, and you go for a TD on 4th and goal?

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Thanks, Ron!

You're just pissed cause you can't berate Pete for calling that fake punt in the end zone at the end of the game.

If not for Browner being big and hitting bigger it would have worked..

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:50 pm 
* NET Moderator *

The way our D, and Cam Newton, were playing I think it was the right call. Odds are they werent going to get another chance to get down to that side of the field.

While I think it was the right decision to go for it I think it was a terrible play call. I would have just ran Newton right up the middle, or right over the top of the line.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 pm 
NET Veteran

god I'm glad it didn't work. They were |..........................................| far away.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:27 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

I liked the decision, but didn't like the call. Even against Seattle's awesome run defense in a goal line formation, it's really hard to defend the run from half a yard out. Carolina has good running backs too.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

I think Rivera read too much into it, that the Hawks would be playing the run all out and that they could have stopped it in the backfield, that the pass was going to be there big.

How do you not run Newton, Stewart or Williams? I thought Newton was coming over the top and that Hill or Browner was going to meet him there, but still score. Oops

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 pm 
NET Starter

Let me offer this...........yada.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

kearly wrote:
I liked the decision, but didn't like the call. Even against Seattle's awesome run defense in a goal line formation, it's really hard to defend the run from half a yard out. Carolina has good running backs too.

Yep. Tolbert weighs like 250. Hand him the ball.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:43 pm 
NET Veteran

We stopped Kam on that the scramble, so I guess that got into Rivera's head. I think Kam woulda got hurt had he tried to take it in. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:44 pm 
NET Starter

5280Hawk wrote:
god I'm glad it didn't work. They were |..........................................| far away.

Haha for real though!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
NET Veteran

It was absolutely the right call. 4th and 1 gets converted an average of 68% of the time in the NFL. Mathematically there's a significant edge to trying to get the extra four points then and there.

Even if you assume that the strength of our defense pushes their odds down from being a 2:1 favorite to make it in to being something worse, they'd actually have to be worse than a 2:1 dog to get in for it to be a wrong decision. There's no way they were that.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 pm 
NET Veteran

It was a bonehead play by Newton. The cardinal rule in a 4th down situation (such as this)is to put the ball where your receiver has a chance. Even if the play ends with an INT. Instead, Newton, perhaps more concerned with his stats or just momentarily stupid, threw the ball into the turf.

I actually liked the play call and had he zipped the ball in there like a big league QB might do, he likely would have completed it. "Superman" is still more show than go and our Hawks exposed, and exploited that, today. YAHTZEE!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:00 pm 
NET Veteran

MidwestHawker wrote:
It was absolutely the right call. 4th and 1 gets converted an average of 68% of the time in the NFL. Mathematically there's a significant edge to trying to get the extra four points then and there.

Even if you assume that the strength of our defense pushes their odds down from being a 2:1 favorite to make it in to being something worse, they'd actually have to be worse than a 2:1 dog to get in for it to be a wrong decision. There's no way they were that.

Spot on.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Carolina had not held Seattle to a 3 and out one single time. Rivera knew that. His decision was validated when Marshawn gashed him for that first down to run the clock.

It was the right call.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 pm 
NET Veteran

Going for the TD was 100% the right call. It's not even close to a kicking situation. The play call was horrible, though. They have a 6'6" athletic freak at QB. Snap the ball, jump to the top of the pile, and stick the ball forward, and they score almost always. Instead they chose to roll out and try to throw into arguably the league's best coverage defense.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 pm 
NET Rookie

MidwestHawker wrote:
It was absolutely the right call. 4th and 1 gets converted an average of 68% of the time in the NFL...

Completely agree. Throw in the fact that it very nearly worked and I think it was obviously the right call. They needed six points, not three. Going for it on 4th down pinned us at our own 1, and had Lynch not turned on Beast Mode to pick up the first down on 3rd and 7, they were looking at some very good field position after a punt. Otherwise they kick a FG, (ideally) force a 3-and-out, and get the ball back near their own 10 with ~1:60 remaining and no timeouts. Given that we didn't have a 3-and-out all day, not a great plan.

In the same situation, I'd rather take my chance with a play I know my team should convert than put the game in the other team's hands.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:59 pm 
NET Veteran

Definitely the right call. Cam should have made a better pass and RW would have been forced to get our team into field goal position.

Also, I watched almost every game of Carolina last year (had Cam on my fantasy team), and they were rarely stopped on 4th and 1. They usually went shotgun SkyCAM.

You could say he should have made a different play call but it was definitely the correct decision.

"We all we got, we all we need"

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]