Chris Mortensen reports what some want to hear.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3hajtvfi said:
No. you MUST have that carousel at QB until you are convinced that you have settled on the right guy.

That assumes that the right guy will immediately show himself ready and not require any development.

If PC is already threatening to bench Wilson, that tells me that PC is really not happy with Wilson. It took PC 13 turnovers in four games to pull Hasselbeck in 2010. Although that may have been because of an injury, or PC being REALLY unhappy with Whitehurst.

amill87

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3dwotl2t said:
No it's not lazy, you are missing the point. I'll slow it down for you: Carroll made the decision based more on what he saw in the pre-season games. Which QB looked far more exciting in the pre-season? Please take the Flynn bumper sticker off before you answer, because it was way beyond obvious who it is. Are there mitigating factors for that? Sure...Wilson played against mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers, no scheming, etc. I get that. But remember, I'm stating why I think Wilson was named the starter - as we have rehashed endlessly in here.

You are saying that our coach who is known for loving to do things differently and has made decisions because he got too emotional could in NO WAY make the wrong decision? Carroll will never be mistaken for a QB guru. This is the guy who thought Whitehurst might be a starting QB in the league.

I am not a Wilson hater and Flynn fanboy. At the core of my concerns is Carroll really doesn't know how to handle QBs. He has yet to prove at the pro level he knows what makes a good QB. This report only confirms what I'm afraid if it's true. One, Carroll made a bad decision to start with. Two, he thinks he can just move QBs in and out like they are a lineman.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
amill87":2zca6gpr said:
At the core of my concerns is Carroll really doesn't know how to handle QBs. He has yet to prove at the pro level he knows what makes a good QB. This report only confirms what I'm afraid is true. One, Carroll made a bad decision to start with. Two, he thinks he can just move QBs in and out like they are a lineman.

I see where you're going, but let me try and rephrase this in a way that doesn't make PC look like such a convenient idiot. I believe he thinks he can apply the motivational "competition" mantra to each position equally and is finding out that QB is different. Or perhaps he has never faced this equal of a QB race before.

amill87

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2g70gh8m said:
amill87":2g70gh8m said:
At the core of my concerns is Carroll really doesn't know how to handle QBs. He has yet to prove at the pro level he knows what makes a good QB. This report only confirms what I'm afraid is true. One, Carroll made a bad decision to start with. Two, he thinks he can just move QBs in and out like they are a lineman.

I see where you're going, but let me try and rephrase this in a way that doesn't make PC look like such a convenient idiot. I believe he thinks he can apply the motivational "competition" mantra to each position equally and is finding out that QB is different. Or perhaps he has never faced this equal of a QB race before.

I don't necessarily believe without a shadow of a doubt Carroll is bad with QBs but it is lingering in the back of mind and it scares the hell out of me. Right now imo he is 0 for 3 with QBs (I consider letting Hass walk a bad move).

I really want him to get rid of the doubt in my mind.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
amill87":36iirgtv said:
Right now imo he is 0 for 3 with QBs (I consider letting Hass walk a bad move).

Oh. Well, if you're basing your opinion on QB failures that had no better alternatives, I guess I'm not going to be able to see eye to eye with you.

Atradees

Reaction score
Luv em both. Want to win right now. The defense if rested could be even more amazing.

amill87

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":363n981m said:
amill87":363n981m said:
Right now imo he is 0 for 3 with QBs (I consider letting Hass walk a bad move).

Oh. Well, if you're basing your opinion on QB failures that had no better alternatives, I guess I'm not going to be able to see eye to eye with you.

Maybe 0 for 3 is a bit rough on him. There were alternatives to Whitehurst and keeping Hass around may have paid off with the team we now have (a savy veteran with a strong run game and good defense sounds good right about now).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
amill87":2nwijxf3 said:
Maybe 0 for 3 is a bit rough on him. There were alternatives to Whitehurst and keeping Hass around may have paid off with the team we now have (a savy veteran with a strong run game and good defense sounds good right about now).

Hasselbeck would be in the hospital right now with this team. He would have had to go through early 2011. Our pass protection has barely improved since he left. Hass needed the second best pass-blocking O-line in the league just to get back to an 18-14 TD/INT ratio. We don't need a QB who's that high-maintenance. Tarvaris Jackson got more done with similar talent level than Hass would have.

MrCarey

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":fuzf6znm said:
And for all you so excited to see Flynn, just remember a few things: He didn't do squat in the pre-season, has not thrown the ball much at all the last few months with his elbow, he has the same lack of true targets to throw to as Wilson does, and Bevell is still the play caller.

Anyone expecting Flynn to ride in on a white horse and throw for 300 yds is going to be very, very disappointed.

Yeah, but Russell Wilson did things in the preseason and nothing special in regular. Preseason does not matter.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MrCarey":pyaix6n2 said:
FlyingGreg":pyaix6n2 said:
And for all you so excited to see Flynn, just remember a few things: He didn't do squat in the pre-season, has not thrown the ball much at all the last few months with his elbow, he has the same lack of true targets to throw to as Wilson does, and Bevell is still the play caller.

Anyone expecting Flynn to ride in on a white horse and throw for 300 yds is going to be very, very disappointed.

Yeah, but Russell Wilson did things in the preseason and nothing special in regular. Preseason does not matter.

I think the point is that if Wilson's regular season looks like this in comparison to his preseason, what's Flynn's regular season going to regress to when playing "for realz"?

amill87

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":267olsum said:
MrCarey":267olsum said:
FlyingGreg":267olsum said:

I think the point is that if Wilson's regular season looks like this in comparison to his preseason, what's Flynn's regular season going to regress to when playing "for realz"?

We have no idea what he will look like "for realz". Preseason means nothing. Kolb looked worse than Whitehurst in preseason and now he is doing pretty decent.

Largent80

Reaction score
bestfightstory":22y452kw said:
Largent80":22y452kw said:
Here is a challenge for everyone so concerned about QB and want to assign all the blame on him.

Actually watch his supporting cast today...YOU KNOW?...The people he has to depend on to keep the other team from trying to stop him.

Start with the middle of the O-Line, then work out from there. Watch his receivers, are they coming back to the ball to help him out if he has to run, and can/will they hold onto the ball when it is thrown their way.......?

You are the only one who has EVER done this. All those with different opinions than yours have NEVER done this because their bull's eye is trained exclusively on Wilson!

BRILLIANT!

Thanks and it actually is brilliant without being an ass.

OP
OP
VHawk

VHawk

Reaction score
I think the reality is like alot of fans think is that Pete cannot waste a season to watch a rookie QB struggle all year long especially when you paid a guy starter money that is sitting on the bench.

amill87

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2u5wyqub said:
Hasselbeck would be in the hospital right now with this team. He would have had to go through early 2011. Our pass protection has barely improved since he left. Hass needed the second best pass-blocking O-line in the league just to get back to an 18-14 TD/INT ratio. We don't need a QB who's that high-maintenance. Tarvaris Jackson got more done with similar talent level than Hass would have.

I don't get this line of thought. Basically saying that the only way to beat pressure and make up for a bad line is to be mobile? Most NFL QBs are not particularly fleet of foot. Would Hass take some hits? Probably but we all know he can do a three step drop and hit a hot read.

Kurt Warner went to the Super bowl with a terrible o-line and I don't know if there is a QB in league history less mobile than him. Yes I know he is a hall of famer but the point is there are ways to beat pressure without being mobile.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If he's monitoring 3rd downs to potentially replace his QB i hope he's also monitoring 3rd downs (specifically 3rd and shorts) to replace his coordinator.

Happybelly

Reaction score
amill87":2elb9my1 said:
MontanaHawk05":2elb9my1 said:

I don't get this line of thought. Basically saying that the only way to beat pressure and make up for a bad line is to be mobile? Most NFL QBs are not particularly fleet of foot. Would Hass take some hits? Probably but we all know he can do a three step drop and hit a hot read.

Kurt Warner went to the Super bowl with a terrible o-line and I don't know if there is a QB in league history less mobile than him. Yes I know he is a hall of famer but the point is there are ways to beat pressure without being mobile.

I think the point is Hass already showed before he left he was getting killed behind this line and it was affecting his play a significant amount. You don't have to be mobile to beat pressure, but Hass at this stage of his career did not handle it well at all the last couple of years he was here.

OP
OP
VHawk

VHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1v31odel said:
If he's monitoring 3rd downs to potentially replace his QB i hope he's also monitoring 3rd downs (specifically 3rd and shorts) to replace his coordinator.

Preach brotha!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting.......something has got to change is we want to contend. Either Russell needs to take a big step forward, or their needs to be a QB change as much as I would hate to see it.

Latest posts