For Anyone That Thinks We Should Throw the Ball More

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
In light of all the talk about play calling vs. Russell's performance, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at Wilson's average game stat line last season at Wisconsin vs. his averages for the Hawks so far this year.

--------- Comp - Att - % - Yards - TD - INT - YPA
Wisconsin - 16 -- 22 - 73% - 227 -- 2.3 - 0.4 - 10.3
Seattle ---- 15 -- 25 - 61% - 149 -- 1.0 - 1.0 - 6.2

Surprised? I was. Russell is actually averaging MORE passes per game so far as a pro then he did during his vaunted season at Wisconsin. But obviously his completion percentage, YPA, and TD % are way down, while his INT % is up. If he were to put up comparable numbers to the numbers he had at Wisconsin, that would be an absolutely outstanding season (3,600 yards, 36 TDs, 7 picks). So it's not that we need to throw the ball more, Russell just needs to be smarter about where he's throwing the ball, and possibly take a few more shots downfield.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I personally don't mind the attempt amount. I don't want to see another empty backfield on 3rd and short. Why telegraph you play to the D? Mix the play calling up a bit as well.

What I want to see from Russ is understanding the looks of the D and changing the play to make the d pay for blitzes and it has yet to happen.
What do I expect though? He is 4 weeks in. I hope for progress and wins to follow.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
The more he plays, the better his results per attempt.
We're setting up to look like the team we hate the most.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's not the attempts that are the concern, it's what Wilson is doing with the attempts that is the issue.

Twisted

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ep1a932 said:
It's not the attempts that are the concern, it's what Wilson is doing with the attempts that is the issue.

you mean like planting one in Baldwin's digits only to have him "lateral" it to a defender?

or maybe throwing one to a receiver who was about to fall down? (perhaps I should loan out my crystal ball?)

or maybe having one dropped by Tate in the EZ, or 2?

theres a long list of failed passes of which you can reallocate blame, the way many people think if its not caught and ran in for a TD its all on the QB..

its a team effort, put them in a position to gel, stop the bonehead moves that destroy rhythm, or, admit you don't know what is wrong with the offense.

blame climbs up the ladder until it finally reaches the top, and only when it reaches the top does it stop.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Twisted":153hnrq5 said:
Hasselbeck":153hnrq5 said:

you mean like planting one in Baldwin's digits only to have him "lateral" it to a defender?

or maybe throwing one to a receiver who was about to fall down? (perhaps I should loan out my crystal ball?)

theres a long list of failed passes of which you can reallocate blame, the way many people think if its not caught and ran in for a TD its all on the QB..

its a team effort, put them in a position to gel, stop the bonehead moves that destroy rhythm, or, admit you don't know what is wrong with the offense.

blame climbs up the ladder until it finally reaches the top, and only when it reaches the top does it stop.
Baldwin was not "hit in the numbers" It was thrown well behind Baldwin.

Twisted

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":nql6eivn said:
Twisted":nql6eivn said:
Hasselbeck":nql6eivn said:

Baldwin was not "hit in the numbers" It was thrown well behind Baldwin.

dood, c'mon I have it on DVR, if they can't coach players to catch those passes (going on 3 years of bumbled excuses) maybe its time to re-evaluate ones self?

I know this is the NFL but both Tate and Baldwin have dropped important passes this year, every other receiver in the NFL that continues to drop those types of passes feel the heat, no one in the NFL is an exception, they are payed to catch these and have the very best trainers and facilities at their disposal to rectify any issue that may be present that prohibits them from making spectacular plays!

this is not high school ball, these players are payed to make spectacular plays and exceptional catches, a team can't hire someone to hold these receivers hands on every play to insure they make catchable passes, enough of the excuses and blame, its a team effort, if Baldwin breadbox is smaller than it appears he needs to get with the staff and find a way to rectify the situation, perhaps certain receivers simply need to play as decoys and nothing else?

I am 150% confident that at their age I would have caught 90% of those dropped passes, and I'm a nobody, that was nothing more than a display of how NOT to play receiver..

this is the NFL and the Seahawk receivers are playing UFL football

kearly

Reaction score
It's worth noting that most of Wisconsin's games were blowout wins. It was a big reason for why Montee Ball had such crazy production, by the end of the 2nd quarter they were barely passing anymore.

El_Rey

Reaction score
We need to be throwing the ball less.

We also need to be throwing the ball more intelligently. Throw on first and second downs occasionally.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2dq5fyky said:
And what happens if we were to come out of Carolina with 300+ yards passing, 3 TD/0 INT and a loss? Would that be "better" for Wilson than 150 yards, 2 TD/1 INT and a win?
Who the hell cares.

Some of you make me absolutely sick.

Let's just win the friggin' game and decide afterwards who wins the pissing match that so many of you here think is so important.

Are we not all Hawks fans ?