Are the Hawks the most physical team in the NFL?

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Thinking about the first three games we played and I noticed a theme.......even on basic tackles-we were 'sticking' the guys and making them hurt. Past teams I would compare it too was old Steeler or Giant defenses but I don't think either of them approach the sheer level of violence this defense brings. I think the only comparable defense would be the Texans, with JJ Watt et al. Thoughts?

sam1313

Reaction score
I think we have a way to go to be the hardest hitters of all time, but we have a damn tough D right now and I have never been happier as a Hawks fan. Go Hawks!

The Radish

Reaction score
I think they are ok so far but to small a sample to make that kind of decisions.

Stillirs of 75 & 76 would just about get my nod. 75 I think had 5 shut outs.

Green Bay from 59 to about 63,but the entire Black & Blue division of those days were awesome. The 85 Bears would get a special nod and many think they are the best all time. But I disagree, I'd take some Green Bay team of the early years and stillirs during the time you didn't mind being a stillir fan.

ninners had some very good years in the 80s

Hard to say, there were so many. Our guys have a chance to make a long term statement if they can get together and make their mark.

For my money you can't compare any of the current teams in the last 10 years or so with the real hitters of the late 60s-70s and into the 80s. Mostly because the rules were different then regarding hitting and teams able to stock pile spare players.

:les:

knownone

Reaction score
The most violent defense of all time, the 1991 Eagles. The best defense of all time, the 1991 Eagles.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
knownone":jfodf2tj said:
The most violent defense of all time, the 1991 Eagles. The best defense of all time, the 1991 Eagles.

From memory:
Clyde Simmons
Jerome Brown
Reggie White
Seth Joyner
Byron Evans
Wes Hopkins
Andre Waters

On edit but from memory: Eric Allen

Bonus points for
Keith Jackson
Keith Byars (The NFCs John L)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Oakland Raiders of late 70s were a hard hitting team. Jack Tatum, Lester Hayes, John Matsuzak, Mad Stork Hendricks, etc.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1gvze99x said:
knownone":1gvze99x said:

From memory:
Clyde Simmons
Jerome Brown
Reggie White
Seth Joyner
Byron Evans
Wes Hopkins
Andre Waters

Bonus points for
Keith Jackson
If you did that from memory Im impressed!

edogg23

Reaction score
If your question is for this year only, then I would say Yes the seahawks are probably the most physical team when you throw in their smash mouth running game to their physical D.
They can't compare with some teams from the past based on rule changes alone. You simply cannot be as physical as you could in the past.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
2000 Ravens
1985 Bears
1991 Saints/Eagles

Those are my favorite defenses of all time. I would love to see the 2012 Seahawks make that list.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure, other teams can claim this as well.

Our LBs are more fast than thumpers. No way to know but I don't think of our speed rushers as physical. Our secondary is big but they aren't making Riley Odom cry from getting pounded catching over the middle (old dude reference). We have some big boys on the OL, but they are still getting their act together. The team is much tougher than it has been in awhile. The toughest in the NFL? Tougher to know, would have to poll their opponents locker rooms.

bellingerga

Reaction score
bestfightstory":20sp3zop said:
knownone":20sp3zop said:

From memory:
Clyde Simmons
Jerome Brown
Reggie White
Seth Joyner
Byron Evans
Wes Hopkins
Andre Waters

Bonus points for
Keith Jackson

Clyde and Reggie man that must've been terrifying to go up against as a QB or Oline. That eagles team was awesome.

manders2600

Reaction score
Are they physical? Yes

Are they the MOST physical?

You'd have to take a long, hard look at Houston, as well as possibly all three of the other teams in the division right now. San Francisco kills people, so does Arizona, and if you watched Kevin Kolb last night, he might nominate the Rams.

sam1313

Reaction score
manders2600":2aqh2bcx said:
Are they physical? Yes

Are they the MOST physical?

You'd have to take a long, hard look at Houston, as well as possibly all three of the other teams in the division right now. San Francisco kills people, so does Arizona, and if you watched Kevin Kolb last night, he might nominate the Rams.

I was going to say something similar. Well done.

Carhanu21

Reaction score
most physical teams in the NFL?

In no particular order:
New Orleans
Indianapolis
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
Kansas City
Oakland

Oh wait

MexHawk

Reaction score
They hit hard, but what I love most of this defense is that they almost don't have missed tackles. I´d like to know how many yards after contact our opponents have. I figure not that much.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Jack “the Assassin” Tatum and his cohort George Atkinson, who allegedly taught Jack the now infamous “Tatum Hook”, were a pair of the most vicious hard hitting safeties to ever roam a football field, during the early seventies.

In a preseason game Tatum and New England receiver Darryl Stingley collided. Stingley lowered his helmet to protect himself and hit Tatum's shoulder pad. The force of the hit fractured two vertebrae in his neck and severely damaged his spinal cord, leaving him a quadriplegic.

Darryl’s transgression? He dared to run a crossing pattern into Tatum’s zone in PRESEASON.

The NFL later banned all forearms (the Tatum Hook rule) to the heads of receivers because of Tatum’s reputation and this hit. Even though he never used his forearm, no penalty flags were thrown, and Tatum was never disciplined for the play.

I think the NFL’s rules as they are now would preclude any defense, or defensive player for that matter, from coming close to how violent and “physical”, they played the game in the ‘60s and ‘70s…