Interesting - from Hawkblogger

Verndog

Reaction score
A picture says 1000 words. This Pic taken at camp shows the difference in height to 6-2 Flynn 6-2 Jackson 5-10 5/8 Wilson. Flynn is a bit behind and Jackson a bit in front. Somewhere between is what Wilson gives up to a "short" 6-2 QB.

So, you take Carrolls command to stay and step up into pocket and now you have a short QB even closer to the obstacle blocking his vision with less lateral movement possible to find the lane. This is not good.

This is a big reason Wilson needs to slide, and bails often. It worked great for him in college and he was very successful. You restrict his movement...and everything changes. They need to roll him more, play action to freeze more, and turn him loose if they want the most from him IMO.

20120807 mje sn8 921 extra large huge

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Is this really what it's come to on Seahawks.net? Really?

Here's a novel idea - let's support the guy who's starting and hope the team wins on Sunday. HOW ABOUT THAT???

RichNhansom

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":21wjsbc4 said:

Here's a novel idea - let's support the guy who's starting and hope the team wins on Sunday. HOW ABOUT THAT???

You mean like the way you did Hasselbeck?

Yeah I guess hypocritical works better when it serves your agenda.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3sqdv2s1 said:

Riiiiiiighhhht..... JUST LIKE WE DID LAST YEAR!!!!!!!

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Verndog":3po4f7nq said:
A picture says 1000 words. This Pic taken at camp shows the difference in height to 6-2 Flynn 6-2 Jackson 5-10 5/8 Wilson. Flynn is a bit behind and Jackson a bit in front. Somewhere between is what Wilson gives up to a "short" 6-2 QB.

So, you take Carrolls command to stay and step up into pocket and now you have a short QB even closer to the obstacle blocking his vision with less lateral movement possible to find the lane. This is not good.

This is a big reason Wilson needs to slide, and bails often. It worked great for him in college and he was very successful. You restrict his movement...and everything changes. They need to roll him more, play action to freeze more, and turn him loose if they want the most from him IMO.

20120807 mje sn8 921 extra large huge

It also highlights another huge problem - Carroll's damn QB circus and the lack of reps Wilson got with his WRs.

Verndog

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3e782rqg said:

I'll remember that in 2 weeks when Flynn starts and you say ANYTHING negative on his performance. ;)

They are all being payed, and are part of the team, why not support them all and attempt to find solutions to problems?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Verndog":352dhy56 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":352dhy56 said:

I'll remember that in 2 weeks when Flynn starts and you say ANYTHING negative on his performance. ;)

They are all being payed, and are part of the team, why not support them all and attempt to find solutions to problems?

Because it doesn't serve his agenda, Duh!! Are you new or sumpin!!! :sarcasm_off:

pehawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3bg3aflz said:
I feel with Wilson his main problem is his stature in this regard. I noticed he has trouble seeing the middle of the field, and a few other areas depending on where he is in the pocket. This is something that can be migated, but only by one thing, and that is pocket presence. I would say 80% of Drew Brees's successs comes from his ability to manipulate the pocket. He is always aware of where the pass rushers, and where his blockers are. He uses this knowledge to not only clear defenders, but read defenses, and if you notice he is always moving around the pocket, but in subtle ways. If Wilson wants to be succesful in the NFL this is the only way he will do it.

Umm, nope. Brees will admit he cant see 50% of what's going on. His receivers know this and run to spots, like spots within a few inches.

Brees also misses ALOT of receivers that taller QB's would hit. ALOT.

hawkblogger

Reaction score
I have no issue with people disagreeing with me, but it is completely inaccurate to say I have been vocal in my opposition to Russell Wilson. I have been massively vocal of in my opposition of how the quarterback situation was handled.

My thoughts were best captured here (btw, much of what I was concerned about are exactly what has happened): http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/08/pete ... truth.html

Here is a small sample of all the positive posts I have written about Wilson. I am a huge fan of his, but believe he has not been setup to succeed, and neither has the offense this year:

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/09/can- ... es-in.html

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/09/russ ... young.html

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/08/the-undeniable.html

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/08/the- ... ision.html

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/07/brea ... ilson.html

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/04/comp ... brees.html

Verndog

Reaction score
Thanks for checking in Hawkblogger! Unfortunately there will be those that remember only what serves them. I personally have read most of your posts over the last several months and agree you have been very supportive of Wilson...once the shock wore off. ;)

Keep up the great work. Really liked your "improved" team power ranking formula, pretty creative.

Go Hawks!!

hawkblogger

Reaction score
Ha! The shock was about the decision, not the player. Lots of assumptions were made about why I was so angry. Unfortunately, it's not something I can share, but next time I will avoid venting publicly. Lesson learned.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol someone REALLY posted Hugh Millen audio?

The same guy where if hasselbeck threw a pick it was the receivers fault 100% of the time? Same dude who thought the world of Jim Mora? FOH

edited, autocorrect can die

Verndog

Reaction score
Ya, the way the whole thing came down seemed awful sudden...but Wilson put up the numbers in G3 that were hard to dispute. What I don't get is it seemed that Flynn was clearly the front runner coming out of camp, and all the sudden the decision after the hot game. I wonder still how much was "injury" related. Is there any way to know the scoring of the competition, and who was leading what and when, and how close they were?

Interested in just how this worked.

kearly

Reaction score
Great discussion. I think both sides are right. Wilson is missing reads, but even great QBs miss reads all the time, so it's hard to tell exactly how good/bad Wilson is in this regard. I also think it's accurate to say that our WRs are not abysmal. Separation is not the main culprit, and fairly often our receivers are wide open and not targeted.

I also think that this particular Hawkblogger post was not trying to push agenda of any kind. I for one am thankful for the extra information.

xCalibur

Reaction score
Just listened to Hugh Millens take on Wilson. Thank you for posting it for the rest of us to enjoy. I don't like that way some here are attacking Millen because he is down on WIlson. The guy made sense, i used game rewind to watch everything he was talking about and this guy was spot on. For example, everyone is truly saying that 3rd int was not Wilson's fault. Watch the damn tape. Baldwin was open over the middle for an easy first down. Wilson went to the TE and we all know how that turned out. Wilson made the wrong read. It may be he couldn't even see Baldwin. So that is a major issue. Had it been Flynn in that game he would have hit Baldwin for the first down. I know this because i watched him play the Lions last yr and he made that exact over the middle throw. The problem here is that everyone is in love with WIlson. Even Millen uses him to motive his own children. Everyone loves the kid, but it is looking more and more likely with every game he plays that his size is a much bigger issue then anyone wants to admit. We need to accept the fact that this kid is probably the next Seneca Wallace and move on with Flynn. This team is ripe for a winning season now. Top Defense, Top running game. We have wr's who ARE getting open as the tapes show. That was why we where all so pissed at Tjack, the guy couldn't get the ball to the wr's even when they where open. Now we go get one who can in Flynn and we are trying to make some kind if miracle happen. It isn't going to end well. It is a fairytale ending everyone is looking for that can't happen. It isn't Wilson's fault he can't see the field of play in front of him. It is what it is and it is time we move on with Flynn. At least give Flynn a shot. I will tell you this. The next time we are losing a game and Wilson has 2+ int's (which will happen many times this yr) we need to put in Flynn and see how well he moves the chains. I said it before, i will say it again. Flynn had more yards, T'd and less Int's in one game last year then Wilson has in 4 games. Why some are down on Flynn is a mystery to me. Also stop bring up the pre-season. What a joke that was, they give Flynn no one to throw to but that loser TO who dropped everything thrown his way over 2 games. That is not a fair accessment of Flynn's ability. WHile at the same time everyone went crazy over what WIlson did. Yet Wilson did it against 3rd and 4th string players. The KC games a was a fluck. It will always be that until he can repeat it in realtime, real games that count.

Twisted

Reaction score
any discrepancies towards Wilson must come from the top, not the media, experts, or blogs, only they know exactly what Wilson was supposed to do at any given moment, anything else is pure speculation

redeye81

Reaction score
I would rather listen to a Hall of Fame QB.. Bottom line.. Not sure how to put this but bluntly... Wilson is the best QB on the roster. That HAS been established by the coaches (not just pete). He won the competition. So we can live in fantasy land and cheer for Flynn (ala Charlie Whitehurst) or get behind our starting QB. Sorry to put it so bluntly but this is getting ridiculous. Hawksblogger, hogbloger i don't care. Listen to Warren Moon.. He is with the team on daily basis and he seen both and clearly Wilson is THE man for this team. Hasselbeck was clearly the MAN but it took awhile so untie your panties and get a grip.. lol
end of rant..

BTW Millen is a hack.. He was saying Flynn had the release of Dan Marino in the preseason. Come on really? how could you say that with a straight face. Miami passed on Flynn. Nothing against Flynn but he is what he is.. a very nice back up. Millan is trying to save face now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kmedic":182rqnvi said:
Take a listen to Hugh Millen break down the last interception when McCoy slipped while looking at the stills that Hawkblogger provides. Everyone has been saying it wasn't Wilson's fault that McCoy slipped and he didn't deserve the INT but after listening to this breakdown and looking at the stills, Wilson clearly made the wrong read and throw. Baldwin was WIDE OPEN down the middle!!

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/10/3/344 ... arren-moon

I'm willing to endure Wilson for a few more games but if he continues to make level 101 mistakes like these that lead to bad losses like last week then I really think we need to get Flynn in there.

Something Hugh Millen said was very interesting. He was quoting Drew Brees who told people in New Orleans:

"Don't give me a hard time about guys being wide open, I'm going through my progressions. But the wide receivers have to be precise and in the right position at the correct time.

themunn

Reaction score
ivotuk":1fq7qqn8 said:
kmedic":1fq7qqn8 said:
Take a listen to Hugh Millen break down the last interception when McCoy slipped while looking at the stills that Hawkblogger provides. Everyone has been saying it wasn't Wilson's fault that McCoy slipped and he didn't deserve the INT but after listening to this breakdown and looking at the stills, Wilson clearly made the wrong read and throw. Baldwin was WIDE OPEN down the middle!!

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/10/3/344 ... arren-moon

I'm willing to endure Wilson for a few more games but if he continues to make level 101 mistakes like these that lead to bad losses like last week then I really think we need to get Flynn in there.

Something Hugh Millen said was very interesting. He was quoting Drew Brees who told people in New Orleans:

"Don't give me a hard time about guys being wide open, I'm going through my progressions. But the wide receivers have to be precise and in the right position at the correct time.

A very important point - if getting open was all that mattered, you would just tell WRs to go out and "get into space" and let the QB find them. Instead, they run plays which rely on the QB and WR being on the same page at all times, the WR might be wide open 6 seconds into the play, but if he was supposed to be wide open 4 seconds into the play and wasn't, then the QB is going to move onto his next read.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Brees also said it needs to be perfect in every fashion. That is something that is extremely difficult to learn so add that to the rookie learning curve and you have a recipe for disaster. It is exactly why many here and everywhere else waned to let Wilson acclimate part of the game from the bench. Learn to read defenses and gain chemistry over time with his receivers.

Millen makes an excellent point about how difficult Brees job is and why we should expect significant time for that type of play.

I believe Wilson can get there but it won't be for several years and in the mean time we are throwing games away waiting. This team is ready now with the exception of QB. I don't want to see us blow our window waiting for the possibility that Wilson will become the next Brees when everything we have seen so far say's it may not even happen.