I sense that Wilson...

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
edogg23":uztp95s2 said:
We have had someone starting a thread saying this was wilsons week to break out the last 2 weeks in a row, one for GB and one for SL. Hopefully this one is finally right.

(raises hand) one of them was I.
But...I did also mention I had no reason as for "why" (rather, obvious and delirious hope).

:34853_doh:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":shfsi39u said:
...is going to come out this Sunday and have a really, really good game.

I think they will open it up a bit for him and I think they are going to get Baldwin going.
I think you "wish" it more than you "sense" it (although Carolina's D does give up yards), but either way I hope you are correct.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I sense that even after we win 49-0, Wilson throws for 330 and 4 TDs. The offense converts 13 3rd down conversions. And the defense holds hte Panthers to 0-10 on 3rd and long. Somebody will still find something to complain about and overanalyze.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
MrCarey":3hfbecta said:
Lol, you guys sense shit like this every week and you've been wrong every time.

We were going to annihilate Arizona's o-line. Russell Wilson was going to be throwing for 200+ and 3 TDs per game. Our defense wasn't going to give up on every 3rd and long.

Stop sensing things, guys! Just hope for the win and shhhhhhhhh! I think it's jinxing the players.
This is what I was getting at with my Clemons remark. Yeesh.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3kkm72qk said:

I think they will open it up a bit for him and I think they are going to get Baldwin going.

If it doesn't happen this week, it may never happen.

The Panthers defense is awful.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
edogg23":16vck9op said:
We have had someone starting a thread saying this was wilsons week to break out the last 2 weeks in a row, one for GB and one for SL. Hopefully this one is finally right.

Not surprising, Wilson was already on the level of Drew Brees before he took a snap.

Verndog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2kkpf9a5 said:
FlyingGreg":2kkpf9a5 said:

If it doesn't happen this week, it may never happen.

The Panthers defense is awful.

Except for one big one that counts against the Hawks...sacks @ #7 = pressure on QB.

firebee

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":z6tqyi3j said:

Unfortunately... I have to disagree. I think this is wrong if Wilson starts this week and I'd like to be proven wrong, but this is one of the longest road trips of the season for the Hawks after a tough loss and poor performance by Wilson in St. Louis the week before. Cam Newton's coming off one of his best games, despite losing to Atlanta in Atlanta... Right down the road from Carolina. Wilson's from Carolina, so that could distract him a bit and the travel time is going to wear on the team as a whole. This is why I favor starting Flynn over Wilson this week. Let Wilson rest a week where he's probably going to be distracted a little because it's home for him.

Flynn's fresh and he's looking to earn a starting spot somewhere, so he's going to be focused on impressing in another regular season game. Like it or not... Starting Flynn over Wilson would be the smart decision this week. It protects the development of Wilson and takes pressure off him for the week. If Flynn performed poorly the first half, we could even put Wilson in for the 2nd half. He might actually be more relaxed and more impressive coming in as a replacement in the 2nd half.

I think this is the best option for Seattle at QB this week. If Flynn impresses, we build value in him as a trade commodity and we can still start Wilson at home next week without messing up his confidence. Letting Wilson sit out a long road game to Carolina where he's going to be distracted a little would be better for the Hawks winning in Carolina, better for the Hawks over the long term and better for the development of both our QBs in my opinion.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
firebee":3k7ovt39 said:
I think this is the best option for Seattle at QB this week. If Flynn impresses, we build value in him as a trade commodity and we can still start Wilson at home next week without messing up his confidence. Letting Wilson sit out a long road game to Carolina where he's going to be distracted a little would be better for the Hawks winning in Carolina, better for the Hawks over the long term and better for the development of both our QBs in my opinion.

What?

How would benching a QB because it's a road game help Wilson's confidence? How would then benching Flynn after a good game for Wilson do anything productive?

Who are you.. Rex Ryan?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Verndog":19x4vr1c said:
Except for one big one that counts against the Hawks...sacks @ #7 = pressure on QB.

Charles Johnson may be a handful.. 3.5 sacks last week, the team had 7 against Atlanta as a whole.

The rest of the year though, they've been pretty awful rushing the passer. Defense is bad. Real bad against the pass and even worse against the run.

But then again, they played Brees, Eli and Ryan in back-to-back-to-back weeks. They're probably giddy to face Russell Wilson.

suppaball

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2039edus said:
mikeak":2039edus said:
I just put RW as starter on my FF team so you better believe I am sensing it!!!

Completely unrelated to Stafford being on a bye week.....

I've got Wilson on my bench...not sure if I'll start him yet.
I have started him all but week 1. Not anymore I benched him this week. He only had .4 FF points last week.

firebee

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2fi0fces said:
firebee":2fi0fces said:

What?

How would benching a QB because it's a road game help Wilson's confidence? How would then benching Flynn after a good game for Wilson do anything productive?

Who are you.. Rex Ryan?

You're not benching a QB because it's a road game. You're benching a QB because he had a bad performance on a road game the game before a long road game to a place where that rookie QB is going to probably have distractions at home while he's in the area. The travel time and crowd at an away stadium isn't going to favor the rookie. You have a QB you paid big bucks for that's performed well as a situational starter in regular season games like this and he's looking to earn the start somewhere in the NFL before the end of his career, so a good performance in Carolina builds value in that QB, so you can trade him for a couple 1st round picks in a year or two. Even if Flynn performs well, we can start Wilson against New England in Seattle because Flynn would understand that Wilson is the future of this franchise and we're going to play him in games that are favorable to him being successful.

It's called putting your QB in the best situation to succeed in. That's how you build confidence in young QBs. That's the difference between an Eli Manning or Philip Rivers and a Matt Leinart or Trent Edwards. You don't put rookie QBs in situations that are heavily favored against them having a bad performance or losing a game, even if they have a good performance.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I sense he will have another bad game, and throw for under 200 yards and look unimpressive doing so. This is because this is the state of the whole passing game, and its the best they can do

chris98251

Reaction score
I think they let Wilson start playing more here shortly, whether its this game or not I won't commit to. Better to let him really play his game on the road and either excel or make his mistakes and learn from them then at hoe and have to listen to Put Flynn In.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
firebee":2aqeqlka said:
You're not benching a QB because it's a road game. You're benching a QB because he had a bad performance on a road game the game before a long road game to a place where that rookie QB is going to probably have distractions at home while he's in the area. The travel time and crowd at an away stadium isn't going to favor the rookie. You have a QB you paid big bucks for that's performed well as a situational starter in regular season games like this and he's looking to earn the start somewhere in the NFL before the end of his career, so a good performance in Carolina builds value in that QB, so you can trade him for a couple 1st round picks in a year or two. Even if Flynn performs well, we can start Wilson against New England in Seattle because Flynn would understand that Wilson is the future of this franchise and we're going to play him in games that are favorable to him being successful.

It's called putting your QB in the best situation to succeed in. That's how you build confidence in young QBs. That's the difference between an Eli Manning or Philip Rivers and a Matt Leinart or Trent Edwards. You don't put rookie QBs in situations that are heavily favored against them having a bad performance or losing a game, even if they have a good performance.

That's such an awful awful idea I really do not know where to begin.

You may be able to juggle QB's at the college ranks (even then, not a good idea) but not in the NFL.

Either we ride with Wilson.. accept the fact he's going to likely struggle (added frustration given how much talent is on this roster and how close we could be to contending with better play at QB). Or you replace him with Flynn and don't look back.

It's not Madden 13. You don't play musical chairs with the most important position on the field. What happens, if under your scenario, Flynn goes for 300 and 3? The first mistake Wilson has against NE.. guess what's going to happen?

lukerguy

Reaction score
The next two D's are two of the worst we will face all season...He better get rolling. Marshawn should be able to run at will. I'd love to see some 1st down passes much like the first drive last week.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lukerguy":33n6m3nt said:
The next two D's are two of the worst we will face all season...He better get rolling. Marshawn should be able to run at will. I'd love to see some 1st down passes much like the first drive last week.

Patriots D is actually much improved.

I think the Carolina game should be the make or break point for Wilson... if he continues to struggle like he has, especially against a poor defense, you have to make the switch. (I don't know how likely that is, but I think that's what should happen).

If he turns the corner, shows progress.. win or loss, he should remain the starter for at least the Patriots game.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I certainly hope the passing offense gets going soon. I'd enjoy watching this team even more if it had a good passing offense.