Barkely might be available for us in 2013

cdn hawk fan

Reaction score
Hey those that think it is okay to continue to lose...I thought I would join the band wagon. If I continue to be called an idiot maybe I have the wrong opinion about winning. Lets take another view point on it and I think you are right....My bad. it is good to be losing we should do more of it this year. Not do it on purpose but if we can make it look like we are trying no one will question it.
If we continue to lose we will be in a great position to grab Barkely for good old Petey. We dump Flynn and hold Barkely for back up.

kearly

Reaction score
If Wilson continues to struggle throughout the season, and Barkley reaches our pick, I think Seattle should take him. We don't have any major needs and a 1st round round pick is an acceptable price to pay to ensure ourselves of a franchise QB. Down the road, it's possible that both could be good QBs and you might be able to trade one of them anyway.

pehawk

Reaction score
Geno goes first. Lest we forget Barkley's what, 6'1"?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kearly":3p1jmvhg said:
If Wilson continues to struggle throughout the season, and Barkley reaches our pick, I think Seattle should take him. We don't have any major needs and a 1st round round pick is an acceptable price to pay to ensure ourselves of a franchise QB. Down the road, it's possible that both could be good QBs and you might be able to trade one of them anyway.

I'd rather just go BPA somewhere else. We need to take a shot in Wilson working out, because there are other areas of our team that need to be addressed.

I would be up for more pass rush, can never have enough.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Barkley is 6-2 (unless he's shrinking) and I still think he would go first. Not to say that could change, but there's more to consider here than 'OMG Geno threw 8 TDs!!!' which seems to be the general consensus in the media.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":lcv40k2o said:
Barkley is 6-2 (unless he's shrinking) and I still think he would go first. Not to say that could change, but there's more to consider here than 'OMG Geno threw 8 TDs!!!' which seems to be the general consensus in the media.

Of course there's more to it. But, by all accounts Geno's going to end the year with a very RG3 feel to him - sans some of the intangibles. His measurables may end up being better as well, right? And, I dont see Barkley being RG3's Luck. Do you?

kearly

Reaction score
One factor to consider is that this is a deep QB class but not a lot of teams with huge needs at QB.

Would these teams take a QB in round 1?

Falcons: No.
Panthers: No.
Rams: No.
Giants: No.
Eagles: No.
Redskins: No.
Lions: No.
Packers: No.
Dolphins: No.
Patriots: No.
Baltimore: No.
Bengals: No.
Texans: No.
Colts: No.
Titans: No.
Broncos: No.
Browns: No. If Holmgren is fired, then maybe.

Steelers: Not likely.
Jaguars: Not likely.
Chiefs: Not likely.
Saints: Not likely.
Bucs: Not likely.
Cardinals: Not likely.
Chargers: Not likely.
Cowboys: Not likely.
Vikings: Not likely.
Bears: Not likely.
49ers: Not likely.
Bills: Not likely. Fitzpatrick just signed a big contract. Bills have generally avoided 1st round QBs.
Seahawks: Not likely, but I think they'd strongly consider Matt Barkley.

Jets: Possibly. If there is a housecleaning, then probably. Otherwise, probably not. Ryan won't turn to a rookie to save his job.
Raiders: Probably, but the Raiders are without a 2nd round pick and might try to sell their #1 to stock up. They could probably get Flynn on the cheap if they wanted, and he fits their offense perfectly (GM has Flynn connection too).

Now, you contrast that with the number of quality QBs. Smith and Barkley are 1st round locks, and there are several others who could play their way into consideration. If the draft were today, I think Smith would probably go #1. Cam Newton helped RG3's stock, and now RG3 is helping Geno Smith's.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Gino all day long, the kid is looking like a stud. Barkley on the other hand has proven if you hit him he becomes a lot more pedestrian. One thing is for sure, he will get hit in the NFL.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
I'd put the Broncos, Chiefs, and Browns all in as possible QB pickers.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":2yiywxal said:
I'd put the Broncos, Chiefs, and Browns all in as possible QB pickers.

I wouldn't rule out the Jets either as they are looking like they may go on quite a long losing streak, and I'm not sold on Tebow as Sanchez's replacement.

Rat

Reaction score
kearly":1aokqh6v said:
Chiefs: Not likely.
Have you seen Matt Cassel play this season? He has been pathetic. Right now, I see the Chiefs as the #1 team most likely to take a QB in the next draft.

I'd list the Eagles as a "maybe", since Vick is hitting a fast decline. Nick Foles looked good in preseason, but I can't see him precluding an early QB.

Your overall point is very valid though. There are very few teams that have a glaring first round need at QB.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":22yyiuji said:
Of course there's more to it. But, by all accounts Geno's going to end the year with a very RG3 feel to him - sans some of the intangibles. His measurables may end up being better as well, right? And, I dont see Barkley being RG3's Luck. Do you?

I like Geno and was talking him up prior to last season - but there are several things that make me temper expectations. For starters, his system is the same as Brandon Weeden's. I've talked about that scheme a lot when studying Weeden and don't want to go over it all again now, but it's incredibly prolific and the same as the old Texas Tech scheme under Leach. Now, Smith is better equiped than Weeden because all BW used to do was take a seven step drop from the gun and rely on a fastball to make throws from way behind the LOS - the field almost doubled and it was pretty easy to find a guy as good as Justin Blackmon on a crossing route in this system. Smith is so much more technically better. BUT - he still benefits from the same concepts of doubling the field, deep drop, extreme spread, crossing routes etc. So I'm sceptical, because he'll learn a totally different offense and it will challenge him much more (no change for most rookies, but it's a harder transition for me).

Physically he's above average in every area and not great at any. He has decent arm strength, good athleticism and decision making is generally good. But I'm telling you - the guy will have an off day soon. We've seen it before. It may only be one off day, it could be two or three. But when it happens, you'll check the hype a little. He's a R1-2 talent for sure, but I do think he'll drop away from #1 contention eventually. We'll see. I'm not the oracle, I might be wrong, I've been wrong many times before.

And I don't think Barkley or Geno are on the level of Luck or RGIII. But right now people are thinking too much about a lousy day for USC overall at Stanford and not enough about that insane performance against Oregon last year. Or the way Barkley outshone Luck vs Stanford. Or the way he finished last year in general and may still finish this year. Barkley is technically superb and will show it. And quarterbacks go early, and it's looking like these two guys will be the early picks. And if they'r close, it'll be a pick your poison type thing that could go any way. Lot's of teams would've taken Gabbert over Newton, this is closer to that battle in terms of grade if not talent than Luck vs RGIII where there was always a defined #1 in Luck.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
@the OP. You hope we lose for draft position? I hope the short bus you ride to school on drives off a cliff.

I refuse to tolerate this shit again. Can we possibly talk about players without advocating losing?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Barkley sucks. He is Clausen 2.0. I've watched him for his career and he is surrounded with superior talent. He sucks.

kearly

Reaction score
Rat":3jgw0qt4 said:
Have you seen Matt Cassel play this season? He has been pathetic. Right now, I see the Chiefs as the #1 team most likely to take a QB in the next draft.

I'd list the Eagles as a "maybe", since Vick is hitting a fast decline. Nick Foles looked good in preseason, but I can't see him precluding an early QB.

Your overall point is very valid though. There are very few teams that have a glaring first round need at QB.

Yeah, things aren't looking good for Cassel. The season is still young though, and KC plays an easy schedule. That plus Cassell is near the top of the league in sacks taken despite being good at feeling pressure, and that could be a big part of the struggles. If Crenell is still in KC next season, he'd presumably be a hotseat coach. Coaches on the hotseat tend to avoid rookie QBs if they can help it. Should be interesting to see what KC does.

I have a hard time seeing the Eagles spending a 1st round pick on a QB after Foles has looked so good. That would baffle me, and it goes against Andy Reid's MO too. It could happen, I just really doubt it.

Right now, the only teams I see that clearly will acquire a new QB next year is Oakland and maybe the Jets if they fire Rex and maybe the Browns if they fire Holmgren. It's a situation that reminds me a little of 2005 when there were a lot of QBs that graded closely together and that coupled with minimal needs at QB led to Aaron Rodgers slipping down the board.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":w5j8q9tm said:
Barkley sucks. He is Clausen 2.0. I've watched him for his career and he is surrounded with superior talent. He sucks.

Nothing like Clausen.

Latest posts