Our defensive stats on 3rd and 10+

Happybelly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":8cjl06d0 said:
Reality check here. The defense has kept people out of the endzone better than nearly every other team. Maybe if you take that TD away from the special teams last week and it's right there. And yet, I'm even reading about the defense on the front page of seahawks.com.

This team has been in the plus category at every position except QB and WR. We can talk about this or that and why, but it boils down to those two positions being flat out not good enough. Last in the league. Dead last. QB or WR is a chicken or the egg argument. However, while I've wanted to buy into the Wilson hype as much as anyone I'll honestly have to say that he's been an extremely average rookie. Not special in any way, shape or form. Even right down to the point he snaps the ball and shows consistent inept pocket awareness. To see such a failure of the passing game coupled with the leagues best running game is atrocious. Rookie or not. Short or not.

Yeah, I'm calling it out.

But yeah, that third down defense could be better though. I certainly don't think it should make the front page of the team's website regardless. That defense provided a very, very winnable game.

Just because the defense has been very good doesn't mean this isn't a glaring issue that needs to be addressed. The defense can be great and still have things to work on.

These 3rd down stats are terrible and unacceptable for any defense, let alone one that has the talent to be the best in the league. I don't see the point of bringing up the passing offense in this thread.

themunn

Reaction score
I'd need to watch the conversions again, at the very least I remember one by Rodgers and one by Bradford that were absolutely inch perfect throws.

The fact that we've played 2 of the best Qbs in the league in Rodgers and Romo, and probably the most underrated QB in the league in Bradford should also be taken into account.

dunceface

Reaction score
Did you say Romo is one of the best QBs in the league?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Sounds elite to me :sarcasm_on:
Actually it sound like the S.O.S

hudsonhawk19

Reaction score
Well our D is holding teams to less than 20 points per game, so I really have a hard time blaming anything on them. As much as the offense goes 3 and out I really can't blame them. If the passing game was average Seattle would be 4-0, they are operating far below average in the passing game, Seattle has run 1 screen play to a running back all season. RIDICULOUS!

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":2zy5tufq said:
Great work Salish. Somebody should tweet this to Sando and/or Carroll.
I would hope to the hot place that Carroll doesn't need to be tweeted about this.

@vin.couve12:

It has been posted in another thread that every single time an opposing team has converted on one of these conversions in a drive it has led to a score. We'd have shut out Dallas if we'd stopped either of those conversions. We'd have easily beaten Green Bay. We'd have beaten St. Louis if we'd prevented any of their conversions on the TD drive. In short, it's already cost us one game and if not for the Hail Mary would have cost us two. We don't have room with our passing game for errrors on D. This seems like it should be easily correctable and if so, our defense would be even more amazing than it already is.

I like more amazing, how 'bout you?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think we have one of the best defenses in the league and if they could just tighten up a bit on 3rd downs and bring a more consistent pass rush we could be looking at one of the best defenses this league has ever seen!

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1akvyp1a said:
It reminds me of the John Marshall soft zones of a few years ago. It makes no sense to me to play aggressively on other downs - and be successful - and then play a defense totally against what we usually play.

How dare you utter such blasphemies, he who should never be named....and yes it does remind me of his 'mail it in' zone D. It's a disgrace how often teams pick up the first down on 3rd and long with this defense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What I don't get is that it seems so easy for teams like Chicago. Run a 2 deep zone, and keep everything in front of you, then run up and tackle the guy short of the sticks, with the first guy to the ball usually getting the guy down.

I sarcastically say during the games that if I were teams, I'd just run, run, then convert a 3rd and long if they wanted to beat us.

While I'm bitching about the defense, I'd love to see them wrap up a bit better, we still seem to be missing the first few tackles a lot.

lukerguy

Reaction score
This all comes down to the approach we've been taking: Not to lose, rather than playing to win.

It's the same approach we've been making with offensive play-calling which is extremely conservative...

Even though we beat Dallas- they ripped us apart on 3rd and long with our brutal zone. I say we go back to the bandit package- Man on the outside, and rush more than they can block. At least mix it in a few times a game. The other times, keep the same the same personnel and play tight man with a few zones for those who back off.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawks46":ryzf4giw said:
What I don't get is that it seems so easy for teams like Chicago. Run a 2 deep zone, and keep everything in front of you, then run up and tackle the guy short of the sticks, with the first guy to the ball usually getting the guy down.

I sarcastically say during the games that if I were teams, I'd just run, run, then convert a 3rd and long if they wanted to beat us.

While I'm bitching about the defense, I'd love to see them wrap up a bit better, we still seem to be missing the first few tackles a lot.
Your post made me think of something. All these conversions our secondary can't get to the receiver in time. That's because outside of ET, our guys are bigger and slower. The NFL model is smaller, faster secondaries. Our defense does well when it's being aggressive disrupting timing routes. But third and long in a prevent doesn't disrupt timing routes, it only allows our guys to get beat by speed.

So basically, we're not designed for a prevent D.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that ET is the only quick DB on our team.

I think it all comes down to pressure. We put pressure on 1st and 2nd downs and then back off on 3rd and long...

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":7a2diwdk said:
It is a travesty and I blame Russell Wilson.

Do you have a Twitter account? You could tell him how you feel!! That might get to him! Light a fire under his ass!!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":hu4gyhur said:
Zebulon Dak":hu4gyhur said:
Tech Worlds":hu4gyhur said:
It is a travesty and I blame Russell Wilson.

Do you have a Twitter account? You could tell him how you feel!! That might get to him! Light a fire under his ass!!

That would be one tiny fire!

It's not the size of the fire it's the aim of the flame!!

Twisted

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":19qip7jg said:
This is obscene. Does anyone ever remember seeing anything like this? Even the old 3rdDownsRUs Defense™ of the Holmgren era wasn't that bad was it?

what package is the defenses running on these 3rd downs, any consistency?

theres a huge possibility the tapes reveal a flaw on 3rd down prevent?

may need to bag the soft zone and man up?

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Twisted":1vfats87 said:
SalishHawkFan":1vfats87 said:
This is obscene. Does anyone ever remember seeing anything like this? Even the old 3rdDownsRUs Defense™ of the Holmgren era wasn't that bad was it?

what package is the defenses running on these 3rd downs, any consistency?

theres a huge possibility the tapes reveal a flaw on 3rd down prevent?

may need to bag the soft zone and man up?
I can't remember who now, but I heard on the radio that they'd looked at the tape and there were all kinds of defensive sets. So apparently it isn't just prevent. They said the answer may just be for them to work harder. I don't know.

El_Rey

Reaction score
It's because Gus Bradley consistently calls a soft zone on 3rd and long. Why not play some aggressive press-man and force the QB to make a lower % play?

It's easier said than done.