The 4 year plan

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3d14nbhu said:
But it's not, this team is built to compete for a Superbowl NOW, not in four years. We have all the other pieces in place, a top 5 defense, the #1 running attack in the league, and a very good special teams.

I don't agree. I don't think our offensive line is ready to consistently pass-protect yet, and I don't think our receiving corps is nearly good enough. Most quarterbacks would be running into trouble in the passing game with those issues. We're not there yet.

CANHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2anrzgew said:
I totally accept the fact it's a 4-year plan. But, emotionally it makes me pout like a toddler. "B-b-b-b-but I want to win NOW!"

And this pretty much sums up the state of things at the moment.

I love how people can say in one breath that they want to be like the Patriots or the Ravens or the Steelers, only to advocate firing everyone and starting over in the next. Rebuilds like that take time and perhaps more importantly a little consistency.

Everyone keeps stressing about how our window is *NOW*. Get outta here. Our window is not RIGHT NOW, it's right around the corner. Likely even next year. Hell, we might even be in a position to make a late season rush at the end of this year, but we need to let it all come together first. The herbs and spices are in place, just need to let it marinate. Have to give it some time to let the yeast rise. Additional generic cooking metaphor.

We have lots of time. TONS. Marshawn will be 27 next year, that's at least 2 years of prime time left (and we have a very young and apparently very capable Bob Turbin sitting behind him). Earl Thomas, KJ Wright and James Carpenter are just babies at 23; they litterally have entire careers left. Ditto for Dick Sherman, Chancellor, Tate, McCoy and Okung who are all 24. Bobby Wagner and Bobby Turbin are only 22! Shit I have jerseys in my closet older than that! The only guys I'm even kinda worried about are Clemons and Browner, but Irvin appears to be getting it and Browner's style doesn't really depend on having blazing top speed so he might be able to keep it up into his 30's. Other than that... this is a seriously young team.

So seriously, all this "OUR WINDOW IS NOW!! DOMINATE NOW!! SUPERBOWL NOW!!" bull shit just needs to frakkin stop. Get off the ledge, take a xanax and down it with a nice sharaz because you people are bug shit crazy and are going to give yourselves a stroke. Just hurry up and be patient. Like right now! I SAID BE PATIENT DAMMIT!!!

Throwdown

Reaction score
CANHawk":d4mvutl6 said:
pehawk":d4mvutl6 said:
I totally accept the fact it's a 4-year plan. But, emotionally it makes me pout like a toddler. "B-b-b-b-but I want to win NOW!"

I love how people can say in one breath that they want to be like the Patriots or the Ravens or the Steelers, only to advocate firing everyone and starting over in the next. Rebuilds like that take time and perhaps more importantly a little consistency.

Everyone keeps stressing about how our window is *NOW*. Get outta here. Our window is not RIGHT NOW, it's right around the corner. Likely even next year. Hell, we might even be in a position to make a late season rush at the end of this year, but we need to let it all come together first. The herbs and spices are in place, just need to let it marinate. Have to give it some time to let the yeast rise. Additional generic cooking metaphor.

We have lots of time. TONS. Marshawn will be 27 next year, that's at least 2 years of prime time left (and we have a very young and apparently very capable Bob Turbin sitting behind him). Earl Thomas, KJ Wright and James Carpenter are just babies at 23; they litterally have entire careers left. Ditto for Dick Sherman, Chancellor, Tate, McCoy and Okung who are all 24. Bobby Wagner and Bobby Turbin are only 22! Shit I have jerseys in my closet older than that! The only guys I'm even kinda worried about are Clemons and Browner, but Irvin appears to be getting it and Browner's style doesn't really depend on having blazing top speed so he might be able to keep it up into his 30's. Other than that... this is a seriously young team.

So seriously, all this "OUR WINDOW IS NOW!! DOMINATE NOW!! SUPERBOWL NOW!!" bull shit just needs to frakkin stop. Get off the ledge, take a xanax and down it with a nice sharaz because you people are bug shit crazy and are going to give yourselves a stroke. Just hurry up and be patient. Like right now! I SAID BE PATIENT DAMMIT!!!

650qq0 1

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In the last 7 years, we have seen PLENTY of Super Bowl contenders that had both holes in their teams, and even lackluster records until they ramped it up in the last month of the season. Getting freaked out after one month just feels like it lacks vision.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Agree with CANHawk - Pete would look pretty dumb if he built a defense that managed only a year or two of dominance. There are plenty of models around the league for recycling defenses cost-effectively; they'll figure it out. And the running game will hopefully have some longevity with Turbin around. So we have time.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Everybody in this thread is RIGHT!! Now let's watch the games and see what happens!!

kf3339

Reaction score
CANHawk":19f7zl8n said:
pehawk":19f7zl8n said:

After the Arizona game I made a thread about "we will go 8-8 and miss the playoffs". Man was I trashed by many on this board. The next week I apologized about my statement. Not because I felt my comments were wrong, but that I didn't wait until my intended 4 game evaluation before making that thread.

Well here we are 4 games in and my original thread seems just as relevant today as then. The only difference is I just don't post much now, and I drink wine while I watch and don't really get worked up over the end results. Because any way you wish to look at it, we are still a work in progress. I felt Flynn would have potentially expedited that process, but obviously PC doesn't agree. I personally don't believe the elbow issue one damn bit. But it's not for me to say, so I just will keep watching the games with my wine glass in hand. No one is getting me worked up over this season. Not with this current offense.

:thirishdrinkers:

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Kearly...I know you don't like this sort of stuff, but thank you for a thoughtful, well articulated post. I always enjoy reading your thoughts and the reasoning behind them, even if I don't always necessarily agree. Your contributions are a nice contrast to the plethora of emotionally laden, shrill shouting matches found in abundance elsewhere on .net.

I'm with you thinking we're sitting on a powder keg and can't wait to see how & when it plays out.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Two things immediately jumped out at me in your synopsis Kip:

"This team is talent overkill. It's a stick of dynamite soaked in kerosene. A quality quarterback is the match."
and
"This team is young and this team has almost everything you'd want outside of a great QB"

Therein lies the rub man. The position is so ABSOLUTELY vital in sports that a good one can carry an otherwise mediocre team to the Super Bowl (see Brady, Tom and last year's Patriots) while a less than stellar QB will drag an otherwise good team into 8-8 land or at the best maybe a Wild Card round win. For example, though lot of people aren't going to like this, think Dave Kreig.....I loved Bone but I still say the Hawks win a couple of Super Bowls in the Knox era with a top flight QB. On the other hand, Hass had his best season in '07 and without it the Hawks don't even smell the playoffs. My rambling point is that no matter the years involved and no matter the plan, unless this regime finds the right QB, we are going to see a lot of 9-7, maybe 10-6 first round exits at the best and 8-8, 7-9 seasons at worst (the defense is too good to be any crappier than that). There's a reason Shanahan sold half his future for RGIII, cuz he felt the franchise guy is 3/4 of the battle, or 60% anyway. Is Wilson the truly great QB this franchise has NEVER had? Time will of course tell. I will say you have no idea how badly I want that to be the case because until this franchise finds him, I'm not sure there will be a Super Bowl "W".

Hawksfan76

Reaction score
well if pete carroll goes 7-9 for a third straight year then what improvements has he really made? we basically have a whole new team that is still mediocore. the whole league is getting better so yes are team is better than 2 years ago but so is the rest of the league. we need to take a bigger leap to get to the top. we need that elite quarterback plain and simple.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hawksfan76":2uy8otea said:
well if pete carroll goes 7-9 for a third straight year then what improvements has he really made? we basically have a whole new team that is still mediocore. the whole league is getting better so yes are team is better than 2 years ago but so is the rest of the league. we need to take a bigger leap to get to the top. we need that elite quarterback plain and simple.

And what if we don't get him? What if it's not Russ or Flynn? What if we draft a guy next year and he sucks?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawksfan76":3dite9zz said:

The whole league is getting better? So everyone will have a winning record? How might I ask does that work?

Hawksfan76

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":t62czz8n said:
Hawksfan76":t62czz8n said:

And what if we don't get him? What if it's not Russ or Flynn? What if we draft a guy next year and he sucks?

then we will remain a mediocore team.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hawksfan76":3c5apcj4 said:
Zebulon Dak":3c5apcj4 said:
Hawksfan76":3c5apcj4 said:

Right. Then what?

Hawksfan76

Reaction score
CANHawk":3vnfay4z said:
Hawksfan76":3vnfay4z said:

The whole league is getting better? So everyone will have a winning record? How does how might I ask does that work?

no they won't obviously but all the teams seem to be getting better and more competitive across the board so it all comes down to whether or not we have a quarterback to take us to the next level. i like the rest of our team but it comes down to the quarterback and maybe a bigtime receiver. whether it's wilson or flynn that can do this for us who knows but i feel that's where we stand between greatness and where we are now.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawksfan76":hy795x2m said:
CANHawk":hy795x2m said:
Hawksfan76":hy795x2m said:

The whole league is getting better? So everyone will have a winning record? How does how might I ask does that work?

no they won't obviously but all the teams seem to be getting better and more competitive across the board so it all comes down to whether or not we have a quarterback to take us to the next level. i like the rest of our team but it comes down to the quarterback and maybe a bigtime receiver. whether it's wilson or flynn that can do this for us who knows but i feel that's where we stand between greatness and where we are now.

Oh, like the 0-4 Saints and the 1-3 Lions, right?

Hawksfan76

Reaction score

Right. Then what?

then who knows, new coaches. different direction. same old seahawks finishing middle of the pack.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
To further my point above....I've said for the last year that Pete Carroll's future employment in the NFL is almost completely dependent on him finding the right QB for this team and I stand by that assertation. Because of the rules of the game nowdays favoring the passing game so completely I don't think you are SB caliber without the at least a top 10 QB.

A

Anonymous

Too busy to type out what I really want to say now, but...

...what Can said, and what Montana agreed with.

That is all.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
sorry Kearly, but pointing out what a great job they've done building this team isn't addressing the valid concerns people are having right now. No one is unhappy with their ability to build a team. We all Trust Pete and John when it comes to building this team. There are valid concerns, however, when it comes to playcalling (onsides kick anyone? 3rd and 2?). You can go back two years and see WTF? moments in Pete's playcalling which he later - admirably I might add - took the blame for.

But the biggest concern is the choice of starting Wilson now. Maybe he'll one day be that QB we've all been waiting for. But a rookie has a lot to learn and it's best for him to sit out a year or two and get acclimated to the speed and technicality of the NFL. Flynn already did that. Flynn comes from a team known for producing good QB's. Flynn already proved he can play in a regular season game with success. Wilson should never have won the job. Pete should have KNOWN better. By giving Wilson the job Pete basically said this year was expendable. We'll take what we can get. But Pete overlooked two critical things no head coach should ever overlook: A rookie can get overwhelmed, shell shocked and develop bad habits if thrown into the fire before he's ready. Wilson needed to acclimate. He's already shown signs that he's regressing, just as you yourself pointed out. The other thing is that it takes time even for a guy who is ready to start, aka Flynn, to learn how to play efficiently day in and day out. Look at Hass. Sat out two years, got the starting job, sucked (150 yds per game sound familiar?) and got benched. Then, his second time around he took off.

It takes time even for QB's who've been in the NFL a while to develop.

Wilson should have been on the bench, learning, from the get go. Flynn should have been out there getting his hands dirty from the get go. That way, Flynn develops into a quality QB much sooner and Wilson, who's developmental track was always bound to be longer than Flynn's, can get valuable experience without costing the team games.

Instead, Pete bypassed Flynn and put Wilson on the fast track. It was a mistake. Mistakes about who your starting QB should be are deadly in the NFL. Not just to the team, but to the coaches credibility. Combine that with craptastic playcalling in crucial moments and there aren't many who will retain faith in Pete no matter how fantastic he is at building a good team. Pete needs to let Flynn play. If Flynn can't cut it, worst thing that happens is he would have given Wilson time to regather himself, learn on the sidelines and have a fire lit underneath him to get better and reclaim his team. If Flynn succeeds, nobody cares anymore that Pete made a bad judgement call because he corrected it. If Flynn fails, everyone sees that Pete's judgement was correct and it was just a matter of him not really having ANY QB that was ready, but at least he now can go back to Wilson knowing that he left no stone unturned.

Latest posts