12th man vote: QB for game 5? (Bumped)

Who should be our QB next week vs the Panthers?

• Open this week's practice up to competition: best QB starts

Votes: 23 12.0%
  • DILFER! DILFER! DILFER! DILFER!

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Get Flynn in there now. Don't waste any more time with a rookie not delivering

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • I'm torn, but this is as much about WR as QB. Give the kid another start.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • 100% stick with Wilson. We're still 2-2 with him at the helm.

Votes: 86 45.0%

• Total voters

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":224nlf14 said:
JSeahawks":224nlf14 said:
If he doesnt believe in the guy that won the job, how do you think he feels about the guy that lost it?

Flynn never had the luxury of playing against 2nd/3rd stringers for the entire duration of preseason + the Chiefs defense without its 3 best players (which 4 weeks in looks like a laughing stock at FULL strength)..

Go ahead and hang onto the preseason all you want.. Once upon a time, Charlie Whitehurst was a preseason superstar too.

The best QB on this teams roster is the teams backup. And we're squandering an entire season because of it.

I didnt say a word about the preseason. I was just trying to get into the coaches head, just as you were with your post. They clearly thought Russell Wilson was the better option, for whatever reason, and yet you say they dont trust him. So if they dont trust the guy who they thought was better enough to open up the playbook... which is the reason you said we're dead last in passing, why would they trust the guy who lost the job to do more passing?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1g2p0mzw said:
JSeahawks":1g2p0mzw said:
If he doesnt believe in the guy that won the job, how do you think he feels about the guy that lost it?

Flynn never had the luxury of playing against 2nd/3rd stringers for the entire duration of preseason + the Chiefs defense without its 3 best players (which 4 weeks in looks like a laughing stock at FULL strength)..

Go ahead and hang onto the preseason all you want.. Once upon a time, Charlie Whitehurst was a preseason superstar too.

The best QB on this teams roster is the teams backup. And we're squandering an entire season because of it.

Nice post and I believe your namesake could take this team to the SB. Matt was on the decline for sure, but he knew the sanctuary of a pocket and how to step up into it while looking downfield for open receivers. I want to see if Flynn can do the same now that I know Wilson can't (yet).

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Growing Pains, growing pains, growing pains. I am really not sure where people go the idea we were going to the super bowl this year starting a rookie QB. I figured we were going to be hot and cold up and down no matter which "rookie" we started. Yes, I know....Flynn had those 2 big regular season games of experience and all but I still don't buy that making him so much more experienced. Don't get me wrong, I do like Flynn and feel he very likely could develope into a good franchise QB some day (same as Wilson). I just do not feel he would be doing much better atm.

Most all teams in NFL that start rookie or inexperienced QBs are going to have these type of years. Look at the "great" Cam Newton everybody raved about last year.....what was their record, 6-10?? I am not taking anything away from what he accomplished, just that is the pitfalls of starting rooks. Consistancy is always the issue early in QB's careers. I see an 8-8 team atm but have hopes we improve and maybe steal a couple extra wins(ha ha).

dradee

Reaction score
You guys definitely need kit kat break. The offense is a work in progress but again we could have won this game if not for a few unlucky breaks ( flukey interceptions ) and a dude kicking almost 60 yard field goals

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":wrtu91lu said:
The WORST defense we've played was #9 DVOA against the pass.

I'd almost be willing to give up a game to see Pete say "hey, screw it. Seattle, I'm putting Flynn in this week and this week only just to show you why Wilson's the quarterback." He won't do it because he's a nice guy, but if he did, I'd expect everyone here to be completely wowed at how experienced Flynn looked at taking sacks.

Winner. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":ppshlmra said:
Nice post and I believe your namesake could take this team to the SB. Matt was on the decline for sure, but he knew the sanctuary of a pocket and how to step up into it while looking downfield for open receivers. I want to see if Flynn can do the same now that I know Wilson can't (yet).

Oh man.. don't get me started on the decision to move on from the other Matt. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":waiiuyz2 said:
Hasselbeck":waiiuyz2 said:
JSeahawks":waiiuyz2 said:

I didnt say a word about the preseason. I was just trying to get into the coaches head, just as you were with your post. They clearly thought Russell Wilson was the better option, for whatever reason, and yet you say they dont trust him. So if they dont trust the guy who they thought was better enough to open up the playbook... which is the reason you said we're dead last in passing, why would they trust the guy who lost the job to do more passing?

I know you're a huge Wilson fan.. that's great.. fantastic.

Be honest now.. does the play calling say they trust Wilson?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ctsll6w said:
JSeahawks":2ctsll6w said:
Hasselbeck":2ctsll6w said:

No it doesnt. And thats exactly my point. If they dont trust Wilson what makes you think they woudl trust Flynn, when its obvious they thought Wilson was better since htey gave him the job?

Its not even a Wilson vs Flynn issue for me. Flynn very well might be better. Its a, you dont bench your starting QB 4 games into the season thing.

hoxrox

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2d2verrz said:
Hasselbeck":2d2verrz said:
JSeahawks":2d2verrz said:
Hasselbeck said:

No it doesnt. And thats exactly my point. If they dont trust Wilson what makes you think they woudl trust Flynn, when its obvious they thought Wilson was better since htey gave him the job?
Keyword thought. They may have thought Wilson has more upside or is more dynamic. Flynn didn't get a fair shake in the competition but we won't rehash that argument. What matters now is if they can be rational and objective at this point in time after having more information to work with. I hope a reporter asks Pete directly if this competition is still open.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
“I think he’s moving the club,” Carroll said about Wilson. “He shows that he can move us, and he made some great plays today. He ran around really well, and he was accurate with the football for the most part.

“I’m still thinking that he’s improving and getting more comfortable and all of that. … So we’ll see what it all means. I don’t know yet.”

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Nothing in this says he's ready to give up on Wilson. Talk about a writer making his own headlines.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bakergirl":1sbupx0b said:
“I think he’s moving the club,” Carroll said about Wilson. “He shows that he can move us, and he made some great plays today. He ran around really well, and he was accurate with the football for the most part.

“I’m still thinking that he’s improving and getting more comfortable and all of that. … So we’ll see what it all means. I don’t know yet.”

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... rylink=cpy

Nothing in this says he's ready to give up on Wilson. Talk about a writer making his own headlines.

Pete's quotes make me: :34853_doh:

I guess it's "improvement" that he finally hit that incredible 160 yard plateau..

Make the change man. Put your ego aside and realize this defense is special and the offense can improve immensely if Flynn pans out.

edogg23

Reaction score
I agree bakergirl. I watched the video and wondered where he said that lol. It was a little disturbing that he praised Wilson for doing a "good job running around out there". What is this, the playground?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":bouxggq2 said:
Make the change man. Put your ego aside and realize this defense is special and the offense can improve immensely if Flynn pans out.

The offense could improve immensely if Wilson panned out too!

Excellent points all around!

Tical21

Reaction score
Just watched the All 22. Gotta watch it a few more times to try and see more of what Wilson saw, but a few things I saw the first time through..

he isn't getting to the backside or outlets. Most of the time he looks at his primary and then the pass rush. Sometimes he looks at his second. He rarely, if ever, makes it past that. He had Golden open down the sidelines twice, once on a blown coverage, with very ample protection, and scrambled right instead. The game is still going too fast for him to stand strong in the pocket and scan the entire field.

Doug Baldwin isn't extending his routes. He is running the primary route hard and then floating around. He saved Tarvaris a good number of times last season by continuing to run his route. Something isn't right. Hopefully it isn't an attitude thing.

Wilson isnt "feeling" the pass rush. He is looking at it. When the rush comes from the outside, comfortable QB's slide up, but never take their eyes down field. When rush comes from the inside. comfortable QB's take a few steps, let the defender run past, and then reset. Wilson is losing his composure at the first sign of pressure.

I need to look at the playcalling a bit more, but my guess is that it isn't as conservative as Wilson is making it. We need to throw more on 1st down, but Wilson isn't taking chances in the intermediate part of the field, particularly over the middle. Sidney Rice ran at least a handful of dig routes, and had his body in position, but it is almost like Wilson won't even consider this throw for some reason.

I'm going to get burnt for this, but right now, Wilson isn't even Tarvaris Jackson. Essentially the same player, but every once in a while Jackson would make himself take a chance. Wilson just won't.

The relevant questions are these......

How would Wilson react to being benched? My guess is that it wouldn't stunt his growth in the least bit. He's going to keep preparing and improving every day. I don't think he's likely to shut it down mentally if he's benched.

What is more important to the franchise, winning now or cultivating Russell Wilson? If they want to win now, the odds are that Flynn would be the better option. We have the worst passing game in the NFL, no? Whether or not it is Wilson's fault, it can't be any worse by starting Flynn. What if Flynn is pretty good? We become flat-out scary. I'm sad to say, at this point, Wilson just isn't. Can't wait for Millen's analysis tomorrow morning.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1f80rhow said:
Just watched the All 22. Gotta watch it a few more times to try and see more of what Wilson saw, but a few things I saw the first time through..

he isn't getting to the backside or outlets. Most of the time he looks at his primary and then the pass rush. Sometimes he looks at his second. He rarely, if ever, makes it past that. He had Golden open down the sidelines twice, once on a blown coverage, with very ample protection, and scrambled right instead. The game is still going too fast for him to stand strong in the pocket and scan the entire field.

Doug Baldwin isn't extending his routes. He is running the primary route hard and then floating around. He saved Tarvaris a good number of times last season by continuing to run his route. Something isn't right. Hopefully it isn't an attitude thing.

Wilson isnt "feeling" the pass rush. He is looking at it. When the rush comes from the outside, comfortable QB's slide up, but never take their eyes down field. When rush comes from the inside. comfortable QB's take a few steps, let the defender run past, and then reset. Wilson is losing his composure at the first sign of pressure.

I need to look at the playcalling a bit more, but my guess is that it isn't as conservative as Wilson is making it. We need to throw more on 1st down, but Wilson isn't taking chances in the intermediate part of the field, particularly over the middle. Sidney Rice ran at least a handful of dig routes, and had his body in position, but it is almost like Wilson won't even consider this throw for some reason.

I'm going to get burnt for this, but right now, Wilson isn't even Tarvaris Jackson. Essentially the same player, but every once in a while Jackson would make himself take a chance. Wilson just won't.

The relevant questions are these.......

I'm going to disregard the start Flynn babble because it's ridiculous 4 games into the season when the coach has already admitted he hasn't let Wilson loose yet.

However I think you make some very correct points. Wilson isn't comfortable in the pocket and you can't escape like you can in college. I find he's so afraid to give up a sack that he's become really good at throwing the ball away instead of waiting, maybe stepping up and checking out another option or two.

Baldwin is just not in sync on this team right now. He's very A-B and since Wilson does break from the pocket and most plays seem to just break down he needs to be moving, coming back to Wilson instead of jogging down field for some unknown reason.

I would honestly prefer to see more quick throws, less reads. It's very odd to me that we mostly run the ball, but when we pass we let the QB have reads. Wilson has little understanding of the pass defense until third and long and it's obnoxious. If we're going to be a run first team we need to emulate the offense SF had last year. There's a reason Smith didn't throw many INTs, they didn't give him time enough to think about it.

kearly

Reaction score
I think the 4th option is a bad idea, but I voted for it anyway because there wasn't an "undecided" option and that one looked the closest.

TLD0550

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1inmipot said:
TAKE HASSELBECK OUT NOW, HE'S TERRIBLE, WHERE'S DILFER?
Boy I sure remember those days I was one of those idiots lol

heffmanhere

Reaction score
Stick with the guy who won the competition. He will get better if we keep hoping it bad enough. Besides the competition ends once the third pre season game is finished. Enjoy the 7-9 season. Embrace mediocrity. Don't let the number two guy even try to throw for more than 160 yards in a game and perhaps ignite an otherwise dormant offense. Coaches never make mistakes, Wilson will be a Pro Bowler ASAP.

Pass the crack pipe.