EPL 2012-2013

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I didn't see the other games this weekend, but the 2 Spurs games this week (Lazio and QPR) have been encouraging. While Dembele and Sandro may lack the creativity and finesse of Modric and van der Vaart they go a long way to making up for it with physicality and skill of there own. We look a lot more imposing now but still miss Modric's ability to see the gaps and make the passes that most midfielders missed. Vertonghen is Man. What a great footballer he looks to be. He showed today that he can play on the left as well as at centreback. Caulker looks like he'll become a force too.

Things are definitely looking promising. I really like that we hard a hard-hitting midfield now. I think it complements the pace we have on the flanks pretty well. We're stronger in defense than we were last year. What is still lacking is ruthlessness in front of goal. We are getting in great positions but not putting away enough of our chances. Hopefully this will improve as the team plays together more.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3j3pztei said:
Dumbfounding decisions by the referee today, taking away from the emotion and drama of one of the great rivalries in sport. And yes, I don't think shelvys tackle was any worse than what evans was giving back. Tick them off and move on. Te penalty was classic United. And yes smurf I'm daring you to defend your teams performance today. Daring you to defend your disgrace of a supporters group tryin to shout down ynwa during the tribute and feeling it worthwhile to sing at kelly as he limps off with a knee injury.

Gate... noone here gives a shit about arsenal. You make it impossible to care when you keep excusing away every thing as luck or fortune. Gervino is a terrible player, you got that right. Podolski was back to earth. You caught city at the worst. Trend I hope continues for them

Couple of things.

1. I haven't seen the game. I didn't watch it live, or seen any highlights. I simply just know the score. I offer no opinion on what happened. As of right now, I'll take your word for it. I offer no defense for me team, out of ignorance of the subject alone.

2. That being said, the picture is hilarious.

3. I'm going to remind you that I am the exception when it comes to United fans. Not going to cram it down your throats about how great we are, and then make a disgrace of our great club with the songs we sing. The shit they did today is horrible and wrong on many levels. Just as wrong as Chelsea, City and Liverpool fans singing about the Munich Air Disaster. Hopefully the club will discipline its own supporters for this, and United should be forced to play a game closed doors like the clubs in Italy do for racist chants. Hell, maybe fine em some points.

For the most part United fans are a bunch of classless f***s.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":n3xnhttp said:
Gate... noone here gives a shit about arsenal. You make it impossible to care when you keep excusing away every thing as luck or fortune. Gervino is a terrible player, you got that right. Podolski was back to earth. You caught city at the worst. Trend I hope continues for them

Of course no one here does, I'm the only god damn Arsenal fan on this forum. I don't know how long it's going to take for you to get it in your thick skull that I'm not gonna straight up say Arsenal is what you want them to be. Part of me thinks your taking your frustrations involving Liverpool out on me because I have a fricken positive attitude. Gervinho isn't a terrible player but he's his own worst enemy, Podolski has one bad game and it seems your heading back to hacking him. Yes we caught City at their worst, yes Arsenal didn't fully capitalize on it, but Arsenal picked up a massive point at the Etihad and have remained unbeaten, that's something to be proud of and I don't need a buzzkill like you to ruin my mood.

Hell I've even sympathized with Liverpool over their loss and you and you alone have made me start to regret doing that.

Smurf

Reaction score
Gatehawk":8n0owfj6 said:
Uncle Si":8n0owfj6 said:

Of course no one here does, I'm the only god damn Arsenal fan on this forum. I don't know how long it's going to take for you to get it in your thick skull that I'm not gonna straight up say Arsenal is what you want them to be. Part of me thinks your taking your frustrations involving Liverpool out on me because I have a fricken positive attitude. Gervinho isn't a terrible player but he's his own worst enemy, Podolski has one bad game and it seems your heading back to hacking him. Yes we caught City at their worst, yes Arsenal didn't fully capitalize on it, but Arsenal picked up a massive point at the Etihad and have remained unbeaten, that's something to be proud of and I don't need a buzzkill like you to ruin my mood.

Hell I've even sympathized with Liverpool over their loss and you and you alone have made me start to regret doing that.

Gate, I bet you don't know this...But I love Arsenal. Like, I really, really do. I was just as pissed as you when Fabregas left...and then Nasri...and then clichy...and then RVP (a lot less on that one actually).

Arsenal are one of my top 3 teams in the world.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thats great, you two go have an intimate shower together.... take Slappy in the Warrior shirt with you.

Gate, I dont mind a bit of optimism, but every post is littered with such custard its to the point of obsurdity. Arsenal were "unlucky" on the header? not beaten by a world class player and a top drawer finish. Just... unlucky. No mention of the luck they got at the end, with the soft clearance to the middle and poor pressure on the ball gifting a free shot from 12 out?

Cant we temper it with a little realism? I'd love to know how the game really went (how Mancini's tactics are ruining City, or what was Toure doing all day) and had Gervinho and Podolski played they may have taken the whole lot of points. but nope, just "unlucky". we arent on the Arsenal and Liverpool fan sites, we're on a Seahawks site.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":10wpdlaa said:
Thats great, you two go have an intimate shower together.... take Slappy in the Warrior shirt with you.

Gate, I dont mind a bit of optimism, but every post is littered with such custard its to the point of obsurdity. Arsenal were "unlucky" on the header? not beaten by a world class player and a top drawer finish. Just... unlucky. No mention of the luck they got at the end, with the soft clearance to the middle and poor pressure on the ball gifting a free shot from 12 out?

Cant we temper it with a little realism? I'd love to know how the game really went (how Mancini's tactics are ruining City, or what was Toure doing all day) and had Gervinho and Podolski played they may have taken the whole lot of points. but nope, just "unlucky". we arent on the Arsenal and Liverpool fan sites, we're on a Seahawks site.

Lescott is a good player but he is not world class. The luck on that was in City's favor, for one Mannone shouldn't have left goal, add to that City only got the corner cause Gibbs misjudged a clearance.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2qcp3paw said:

Yeah, I'll pass.

There is a reason I don't talk about my love of Arsenal here...

Smurf

Reaction score
Saw the game today.

United were crap. Liverpool were the better side.

Valencia went down WAY too easy.

Personally I felt the Shelvey sending off was really, really harsh. Just a yellow for me. If you red card Shelvey for that, you have to red card Evans too. Evans went in just as recklessly, if not more so, than Shelvey did.

Rafael's goal was class. Should have ended in a draw.

That said...

Arsenal are extremely lucky that City already have Silva, and Nasri, and that Chelsea already have Mata, Hazard, and Oscar....cause Santi Cazorla is one hell of a footballer. Arsenal are lucky to have him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2qms4cjp said:
Gatehawk":2qms4cjp said:
Uncle Si":2qms4cjp said:

Lescott is a good player but he is not world class. The luck on that was in City's favor, for one Mannone shouldn't have left goal, add to that City only got the corner cause Gibbs misjudged a clearance.

Ok, that's not luck, gate. That's poor execution by Arsenal's players.

and that has been what I've been trying to say all along.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Capital One Cup 4th Round Draw
Chelsea vs Manchester United
Sunderland vs Middlesbrough
Swindon Town vs Aston villa
Norwich City vs Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool vs Swansea City
Leeds United vs Southampton
Wigan vs Bradford
Reading vs Arsenal

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":15v3ij2y said:
Wigan vs Bradford
Reading vs Arsenal

I'm delighted to see that Chelsea are playing United. Norwich and Reading should be wins for Spurs and Arsenal but both are away fixtures so a bit trickier. Liverpool and Swansea are both having issues with consistency; I'd predict a Liverpool win but wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

It was good to see City and Everton go out this week.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
After 5 weeks it looks like this is a wide open premier league.

City and Mancini look burdened by the weight of expectation and pretty average compared to last year, especially at keeping goals out.

United are having troubles keeping defenders healthy, which somewhat balances out adding quality at the other end in van Persie and Kagawa. Johnny Evans is certainly not in the same stratosphere as Vidic.

Chelsea have showed signs of vulnerability in defence but good in attack, with the notable exception of their £50m striker. They need to get Lukaku back from his loan and ditch Torres. They'll probably end up selling Torres and paying £90m for Falcao instead.

Arsenal look good but will need to show that, unlike recent seasons, they can maintain their recent form for most rather than some of it.

Spurs have had a predictably slow start to the season getting used to a new manager and new players, but haven't lost in 6 games now. AVB appears to be taking a similar approach to Carroll with Wilson, playing conservatively and trying to minimize mistakes while the team gets used to each other. They've looked better when they've been more attacking, however, but with the exception of an arguably unjust draw against a very good Lazio we've won our last few games and have only played badly once this season.

Liverpool are having a similar season to last and are generally playing better than the result would suggest, but lacking consistency.

Everton appear to be this season's Newcastle while Newcastle should still be in the mix, despite struggling a little more than last year.

It's shaping up to be a good season yet again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2fyxzgrs said:
Gatehawk":2fyxzgrs said:
Wigan vs Bradford
Reading vs Arsenal

I'm delighted to see that Chelsea are playing United. Norwich and Reading should be wins for Spurs and Arsenal but both are away fixtures so a bit trickier. Liverpool and Swansea are both having issues with consistency; I'd predict a Liverpool win but wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

It was good to see City and Everton go out this week.

For a tournament that everyone blasted Liverpool winning last year there were some competitive matches featuring the some of the world's best players. Funny enough, Liverpool played a very young squad. City and Villa went after it, as did Newcastle and United (for the most part, a good balance of reserves and starters).

Hope it lasts into the later rounds.

It was nice to see Liverpool beat a BPL team, even if it wasnt within league play.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
A question for those of you in the US: how do you guys watch premier league games? Are you able to watch all games on TV or is it necessary, as it is in the UK, to employ hooky methods. Over here, depending on which team you support, you get between about 6 and 15 live matches, spread between 2 different subscription providers. Any other games you either have to attend or watch via illegal streams.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":163neaax said:
A question for those of you in the US: how do you guys watch premier league games? Are you able to watch all games on TV or is it necessary, as it is in the UK, to employ hooky methods. Over here, depending on which team you support, you get between about 6 and 15 live matches, spread between 2 different subscription providers. Any other games you either have to attend or watch via illegal streams.

Fox sports, espn or illegal streams. I have a site I usse that shows basically every game. just synch it and attach the laptop to the tv

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1evgsroh said:

I usually go down to a good local football pub that 99% of the time has Liverpool on live, or on a 1 or 2 hour delay. If I lack the motivation or funds to head down I just type "Liverpool stream" into the twitter search, and viola!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Cheers. Si, I take the same approach that you do. The quality now is generally very good so it really does make paying £40 extra a month for Sky and ESPN and still getting only about a third of the matches hard to justify. I get to spend a bit of that money on NFL Gamepass instead.

From what Peaches says you guys have better access to games on TV, which doesn't surprise me.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'll be interested in hearing the details, but John Terry appears to have gotten off pretty lightly at first glance. 4 games and a weeks wage fine? You can get 3 games for a bad tackle. I'm sure Suarez will feel a bit hard done by.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what Chelsea does about this. They recently banned a fan for life for racially abusing Drogba and make a lot of noise about having zero tolerance of racism so I'd expect Terry to have played his last game as captain at the very least.

Latest posts