Madden 13...

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
Madden 13...
Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 am
  • So we had a Madden release midnight tourney here at Axis and the first impression I have of madden is the picks are ridiculous. Not some fluke in one game, EVERY game seems to be full of picks. Anyone else seeing this?
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

Re: Madden 13...
Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 pm
  • I also see a lot of picks. But by far the 2 things that are just pissing me off is that fact that you cannot run between the tackles because if you hit one of your own lineman you will crumble to the ground and your o-line does a horrible job blocking. Secondly, what is with all of the receivers dropping so many passes? I mean I threw a bomb to Braylon for a sure touchdown, he initially caught it then took one step and dropped it with no one within 20 yards of him. Running game and Wrs ability to catch the ball need to be fixed.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25 am
  • I second that Blitzer, the running game is brutal if you don't get a good bounce
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm
  • I played 3 games last night and trying to run the ball is a nightmare, I had high hopes for this Madden to.
    Digsbone
    Alaskas Biggest Seahawks fan.
    Digsbone
    NET Rookie

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:41 pm
  • What difficulty are you guys playing on? Seems like a little custom slider calibration would solve this issue......
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 pm
  • nategreat wrote:What difficulty are you guys playing on? Seems like a little custom slider calibration would solve this issue......

All-pro. Problem is I play ranked games a lot so custom sliders wouldn't help me too much.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 pm
  • Using Denver's playbook with Seattle (RW as the starter), I had no problem running the ball last night and only threw 2 picks in 2 games.

However, I am downright livid that you can't use custom rosters in "Connected Career Mode", even offline. I'm stuck using EA's TERRIBLE roster forever? I mean, these are the same jokers that had Kelly Jennings being 27 years old 3 years straight, and we can't edit the rosters they give us? Bullshit. Especially annoying since I like to create-a-Snohomie but still play both sides of the ball, which I can't do anymore.

This could very well be the last version of Madden I ever buy. I was going to return the game last night but, of course, it's opened.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:48 pm
  • I was really bummed when my friend and I realized that they took away the ability to create your own team using the draft in franchise mode. Not only that but the mode they used to replace that doesn't allow for two player co-op in offline mode which pretty much killed the whole reason we played the game.

Graphically and gameplay wise the game is an upgrade, it seems as though they have fixed the terrible tackling angle redirects that 11 did.
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:35 am
  • I do not like the way they set up franchise mode. I'm glad they fixed the my player type mode, final-freakingly. I dunno about it yet, I need to get the coach mode off the ground, but you can't do the drafts no more in franchise? is that what I read?

I'm not having a problem with picks seeing as I roll out like every single play and if someone isn't open I run (I suck at online play, but if any of you want it just tell me)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:03 am
  • I'm glad they fixed the my player type mode, final-freakingly.

It's fine... if you want to play QB or RB. Maybe D-Line. No player lock camera makes playing most other positions difficult at best, pointless at worst. Tried to make a WR, find myself stuck in standard camera expected to run crisp off-screen routes. What the hell?
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 am
  • So I'm still deciding on getting this or not, is it worth it or better to wait til next years?
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am
  • For what it's worth I think this is one of the best maddens ever. I'm enjoying it.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:56 am
  • Can anyone review the draft scouting system in offline connected careers? Last year the draft in franchise mode was a complete farce - you select a handful of player to 'scout' and during the season you find out stats for kicking field goals and punting... even if you're scouting a QB! It made the draft a total crapshoot but for the 5 players you could 'unlock' at the pro-day stage.

Has this new system improved things? I know you're spending points on revealing certain starts but does this work? I'm suspicious because I suspect there won't be enough points to truly get an angle on more than 5-6 players again... making the draft - once more - a crap shoot. I only play Madden for franchise mode to build a roster via the draft.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I do not like the way they set up franchise mode. I'm glad they fixed the my player type mode, final-freakingly. I dunno about it yet, I need to get the coach mode off the ground, but you can't do the drafts no more in franchise? is that what I read?

Same. Some of my best Madden memories are with my old roommate, playing safeties for the Browns a couple years back. We'd hold them to 7 points on O, score a D touchdown, and still lose. 21-7. So frustrating but so much fun. Now we can't do that. I wish they'd have kept basic franchise mode instead of replacing it with CCM - will be cool in a couple years from now, but I paid money for this year.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:41 pm
  • jhawk91 wrote:So I'm still deciding on getting this or not, is it worth it or better to wait til next years?

Depends. If you don't play franchise mode, the gameplay is improved IMO.

If you play franchise mode a lot, create players, used the "Superstar" mode in last year's madden and liked it, etc... then this version sucks.

BTW, I will sell mine to you if interested. PM if you want.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Can anyone review the draft scouting system in offline connected careers? Last year the draft in franchise mode was a complete farce - you select a handful of player to 'scout' and during the season you find out stats for kicking field goals and punting... even if you're scouting a QB! It made the draft a total crapshoot but for the 5 players you could 'unlock' at the pro-day stage.

Has this new system improved things? I know you're spending points on revealing certain starts but does this work? I'm suspicious because I suspect there won't be enough points to truly get an angle on more than 5-6 players again... making the draft - once more - a crap shoot. I only play Madden for franchise mode to build a roster via the draft.

It seems better at first glance. Haven't drafted anyone yet.

You get a certain number of points. You use those points to unlock the ratings for a particular attribute like Speed, Intangibles, Catch In Traffic, etc. So you pick what you unlock. It seems a lot better IMO.

Plus, you get "XP" you can use to buy upgrades. Not sure this won't be overpowered as the seasons go along, but it's kinda cool right now.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 pm
  • That sucks since all I ever really do is play franchise mode but not really create players or anything
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 am
  • Is anyone else mad that they cant fix players numbers and their equipment?

I drafted a Tight end and he's rocking #80, its damn disgusting
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:34 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Is anyone else mad that they cant fix players numbers and their equipment?

I drafted a Tight end and he's rocking #80, its damn disgusting

Man that would bug the heck out of me lol. Last year in Madden 12, if a player I drafted or traded for was using a retired number I would instantly change it,
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:23 pm
  • it bothers me!

And btw what kind of receiver doesn't wear gloves? I got a receiver wearing rubber elbow pads and no gloves, this is STUPID!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 am
  • After some quick research, there is A LOT of buzz about this problem, lots of demands for a patch, lets hope EA listens.

I wish 2k could make football games, their system for numbering on NBA 2k is beautiful, retired numbers aren't even an option.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 am
  • EA needs to allow custom rosters in CCM/patch in 2011's franchise mode.

Even if you don't allow created players, at least let us edit your craptactular ratings.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:12 am
  • Just sat down and played it last night.

wow, you guys are right. Franchise mode is broken and so is the running game. Marshawn consistently getting trucked in the open field by safeties? Bitch please. Someone breathes on the running back and he goes down like a sack of potatoes. Weak.

The new graphics are cool and everything, but this is going back to the store.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am
  • It's certainly the best Madden of the decade, IMO, but there are things that they DEFINITELY need to work out. Braylon's catch rating had might as well be zero. I have the same problem where the ball will just hit him in the hands and he drops it, with no one near him. It's pathetic. I also have a fumbling problem. I "cover" the ball, but nothing works. I also drop 10x more interceptions than my opposition, but then again I pick off an average 4 per game in ranked matches. Damage control by the AI? Lame.

Here's some of the BS I've experienced:

Cadillac
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:58 pm
  • lol @6 fumbles by wilson. there had better be a patch...
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 pm
  • So far from what all you and I have said, things that need to be patched or adjusted in some way are:
    1. Receivers actually catching the dang ball.
    2. Ability to actually run the ball and not crumble at first contact.
    3. Customize rosters within Connected Careers.
    4. O-line blocking.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 pm
  • muxpux wrote:lol @6 fumbles by wilson. there had better be a patch...

You're telling me. That was the SAME GAME AS THE 7 DROPS!!!!

And I only lost by a touchdown. So frustrating.
    Cadillac
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:44 pm
  • been playing it now for a while now and lynch seams to me to be a fumble machine. the thing that bugs me the most is u get to a circle where the ball
    is going to be to catch with your wide recievers and hitt the catch button and they just stand there and do nothing. man that pisses me off. also the
    contract negotiations kam won't resign because i offered him a contract 5 yrs 4 mill a shot. that would put him as one of the highest paid safties in the
    the league he wants 6 and a half mill. also i think the xp thing is broken have used it for 2 yrs now and guys rating are at the same lvls. also to go with
    bs u can use the xp and not get the lvl up on the skill.

the only thing redeming is i drafted a wr with the 14th pick in the first round will he did get the #80 he is straight balling. 50 catches for 1000 yrds with
    russ throwing him the ball also 10 tds with 8 more weeks to go.

the running is ok but i have to pitch alot with lynch. and jump when im going threw the line some times. its a 1000 scouting points a week and 2000 in the
    offseason. not sure if i like the scouting or not it seems ok if your a team like are team that just need specific positions. also i have lost unger they don't
    have his new contract on there. sucky thing too is they haven't fixed the damn glitches or pauses in game play after 5 hours of play god that is annoying.
    god ea after i swore after 12 i would never buy one again. they have some major fixing and patching to do and if last year is any indication. of what is
    going to happen there we are sooooooooooooooooo screwed.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:09 am
  • You play for 5 hours straight, my man?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 pm
  • I'm playing as a QB in connected careers for the Hawks and Lynch is getting stuffed just about every play. I did notice if you use the line shift it seems to help somewhat but still its pretty bad when Lynch is getting
    5 yds a game
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:54 pm
  • Overall, I think it is the best Madden they've made in years. We got force fed the same game for about 6 straight years with minor changes and 'tweaks' to gameplay. I like the new physics engine but it def can use some work and I hope will be better by next Madden. The realism they added is nice and I like the control in passing. Graphics look amazing too.

Throwing into coverage results in a pick more often than previous games, which was a huge issue I had. Even if I was dominating the other person, I'd end the game with 10 'pass deflections' which were mostly drops and should be pick sixes. So far through three online games I intercept most bad passes. It also seems like if you start running too soon before the ball gets to you as a WR you drop it, which didn't happen in previous years. That is probably more realistic as well since the WR is looking downfield in real life as he runs away from the ball and has a greater chance to mess up.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Red out of the game on passing downs and just sub in Irvin without messing up the whole defense, but I'll get there lol I want to play Wilson but Flynn is much better at this point before the roster updates.

Biggest complaint now is the lack of 'franchise mode.' I went in with the coach mode which is supposed to be similar and just didn't enjoy it. I mostly play online but at college two years ago one of my roommates and I would play multiple franchises and I loved the fantasy draft part. I don't like how you have to be online to have any form of a franchise mode with friends, since it is laggier than offline modes.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:03 pm
  • Anyone who's had a good go at CC (coach) care to review the scouting system/Draft? It's the only reason I'll buy/not buy this.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:12 pm
  • Huh, I haven't had much problem with the actual gameplay. Been putting together a pretty good power run game with the Hawks. Drops are annoying, but I haven't seen them stand out so much as being that one or two times a game when a ball hits an idiot in the hands... which happens. Turnovers haven't been a huge problem, either. 'Course, I'm not a hardcore gamer, All-Pro for me.

I can run an annoying effective dink 'n dunk offense, though. Think I drove some people crazy with the Texans last year with my four or five minute 80 yard drives, ha ha.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Anyone who's had a good go at CC (coach) care to review the scouting system/Draft? It's the only reason I'll buy/not buy this.

Welllll because franchise/coach mode are the only reasons I buy the game, I'd say its different but its cool. You can learn a lot more, more quickly about players. They show you scheme fit and all that good stuff as well which is cool to me. You use the points you earned the previous week to scout, gives you incentive to play, because the more points you get, the more you learn about players. I loooooooooove the way the draft is set up, you get tweets n stuff from media members on the side about what you and other teams around the league are doing. My only beef is I cant edit the players so they look stupid, a receiver with no gloves? what thee eff? and you can't edit their numbers, so if a player has #80 and you're the Seahawks or 49ers you are screwed, I fixed my problem and traded the tight end i had an issue with when it came to #80.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:20 am
  • How do you earn points to spend on scouting?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:27 am
  • Its just certain things you accomplish during the game like throw for 250 yards or hold the opposition to under 200yards.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 pm
  • TravTex wrote:Huh, I haven't had much problem with the actual gameplay. Been putting together a pretty good power run game with the Hawks. Drops are annoying, but I haven't seen them stand out so much as being that one or two times a game when a ball hits an idiot in the hands... which happens. Turnovers haven't been a huge problem, either. 'Course, I'm not a hardcore gamer, All-Pro for me.

I can run an annoying effective dink 'n dunk offense, though. Think I drove some people crazy with the Texans last year with my four or five minute 80 yard drives, ha ha.

Haha, unlike NBA, we run similar Madden offenses. I'm using the Texans playbook with my Titans CCM.

I've had really mixed results with the running game. I have two "franchises", Titans and Hawks. In theory, both should be able to run fine. I did okay with Seattle in the 3 games I've played on All Pro, no slider changes. Pretty inconsistent run game performance, but overall it did okay.

But I could not run with the Titans, at all. I finally broke down and tweaked the slides to make the RB break more tackles and the line not doom me on 80% of the snaps (one game I actually kept track on my tablet. 16 of 21 runs I was hit before I could take 2 steps with the ball). Using the control pad to adjust blocking seems to help, as does not turbo'ing right away.

But the drops and picks are driving me nuts. I can handle most of the interceptions, except I throw 4 bad passes and get 2 picks, and the computer throws 8 and gets 1. That's annoying, but that's All-Pro for you. The drops is inexcusable, though. 7 drops in the fricking first quarter last night. I'm about to change that slider too... and I hate changing sliders.

Just to clarify what Throwdown said, I believe you get XP (which you use to improve your player/coach) for achievements like passing yards, but scouting points depend on your "type" of coach - Motivation/Strategist get 1000 points, the GM one gets 2000 points. You can buy an upgrade with your coach's XP, though. Just had to make it clear.\\

Mistowen/anyone - can two friends play on the same team (even if online), on one PS3?
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:53 pm
  • Bought it about a week ago, first Madden I've played in about 10 years.

First game ever, I put a sixty burger on the 49ers playing as the Texans, on Pro level.

I play the same game again, this time on All-Pro, and damned if I didn't throw 6 picks and receive a beatdown by 30 points.

There's gotta be a middle ground...?!
    Houston Texans fan and realist.
    Vance87
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 pm
  • Vance87 wrote:Bought it about a week ago, first Madden I've played in about 10 years.

First game ever, I put a sixty burger on the 49ers playing as the Texans, on Pro level.

I play the same game again, this time on All-Pro, and damned if I didn't throw 6 picks and receive a beatdown by 30 points.

There's gotta be a middle ground...?!

"pro"
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 pm
  • Weirdism:

I keep picking 'Undrafted' as my background, but when I go to look at my player card, I'm drafted in the first round. Undrafted, late draft pick, high draft pick, doesn't matter. First round. No player lock cam is -really- stupid, just to restate that.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:07 am
  • I think it's pretty good but I'm playing on 'pro' not all-pro. I started as Cleveland... signed Mike Wallace and drafted some guy called Nathan Williams who's slow but catches EVERYTHING. All you need to do is throw it in his direction and he catches it, double coverage or whatever.

Scouting is OK. I wish you could earn more points. You're still really only scratching the surface with most of these guys - it shouldn't take that long to find out a guys speed/acceleration/arm strength/blocking etc. Usually end up focusing on the first round too much and then the later rounds become a crap shoot.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00 pm
  • Well because I've yet to get the itch to drop 60 dollars on Madden like I do every year, I just put in 12 again, added Braylon and Sweeeeezy and a few others that didn't make the cut in my Post draft franchise. Works fine for me. Course it helps I'm pretty much the only team with added players, though SF has a few, as does Tampa Bay.

It works for now... Tomorrow will be much better.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 pm
  • Re-doing my review after 5 online games. Since I only play online really, especially without any fantasy draft this year, I hate this game lol Gamestop is offering $30 refund this week since you can't return it fully which is better than they usually offer, so I may take them up on it. Even though my record is 4-1, I generally just don't like this game. I've been hoping for Madden changes since basically 2007 but this one isn't there yet.

Just finished a game online and I had 15 pass deflections with only 1 int against Tom Brady. I would have taken a screenshot but I didn't think of it at the time. And they were all basically in my hands but just dropped, not 'deflections.' The other player was not very good at Madden, but like the game before, received every possible break to make it a close game: 2 onside recoveries, random fumbles not from hitsticks, miraculous catches on 4th and 18 in triple coverage, etc. As the Texans I threw 5 ints and had 3 consecutive drives that were 1 pass, 1 int all in single coverage after being up by two touchdowns. I think in my last two games I've thrown 10 ints, which was rare in previous games since my record was real good online. The icing on the cake was when he basically had given up and did punt block on defense, and Matt Schaub overthrew a wide open Andre Johnson by about 15 yards into the endzone.

The change from pro to all-pro in running is also pretty ridiculous. Since the D is better, there aren't huge holes, therefore you just run into your linemen and fall to the ground. Or you get slowed way up, stumbling to the side, and get tackled immediately. I like the idea of the physics engine, but since you literally can't run up the middle without running into your own player and falling/slowing up, it is pretty dumb. People in real life are able to run alongside the person in front of them, not barely graze them and look like Ray Lewis just speared them. Arian Foster who is one of the best RB in the game, is unable to break any tackles and more often than not falls on his own by nudging his linemen.

I also hate how they got rid of the ability to simulate whole seasons in 'franchise' aka connected career mode fairly quickly. Drafting a fantasy team then simulating to see how you do up until the playoffs was how I played most seasons, especially since I liked the offseason free agents/trades/draft part. I haven't even gotten to an offseason yet because I get so bored slowly simulating every single week. I feel like they made a newish Madden, but only went halfway.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information