EPL 2012-2013

Smurf

Reaction score
2 games. 0 goals.

That is unacceptable.

Last year the title was won by a single goal....and if Arsenal are to be league contenders (like Gate has been telling us), then they need to put the ball in the net.

On a pace of 0 goals in 2 games. I can assure you they wont be in the top 3...let alone out of the relegation zone.

If they don't sign a player to put the ball in the back of the net they are stupid and Arsene Wenger has a way bigger ego than other manager in the league....Even Fergie.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":37r7xjtw said:
Supposedly 5 teams in for Jay Spearing. LOLWUT? Fair enough. Get him out, along with Adam and Cole.

Arsenal will find it tough to bring in a top-shelf goalscorer, as Spurs and possibly City are still in the market.

Chelsea really look the business this year. Hazard will turn out to be the top transfer, I reckon. Scary.

Sadly, I agree about Hazard and Chelsea. It's a 3 horse race which, I think, will finish City, Chelsea, United, in that order. Whoever finishes 4th will be a long way back and I don't think you could confidently name who that will be tight now. A lot will depend on what happens in the next 3 days.

I think Spurs need a midfield playmaker, a wing/attacking midfield rotation player, a keeper, a striker and a left back, in that order. What do you guys think your respective clubs need to buy before Friday?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Smurf":10ys54bs said:
2 games. 0 goals.

That is unacceptable.

Last year the title was won by a single goal....and if Arsenal are to be league contenders (like Gate has been telling us), then they need to put the ball in the net.

On a pace of 0 goals in 2 games. I can assure you they wont be in the top 3...let alone out of the relegation zone.

If they don't sign a player to put the ball in the back of the net they are stupid and Arsene Wenger has a way bigger ego than other manager in the league....Even Fergie.

It isn't unacceptable but it's a bit disappointing. The lack of goals in the first two games has been offset by the lack of goals allowed. Sure the title was won by a goal, but it really was goal differential that decided the title.

Also I wouldn't be jumping to that conclusion just yet, after all Arsenal finished 3rd last year after failing to score in their first 2 games to start off the year, and that was with Van Pussy. 2 games is not going to decide the rest of the season.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
There's a rumor spreading that Arsenal might buy back Cesc Fabregas. This is steaming from an article about Vilanova not being able to find a place for Cesc on Barcelona. I'm a bit skeptical about this as the Marca tends to stretch the truth a lot.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1kuuqug5 said:
I can't believe you're calling RVP names, I really can't. You'e the worst kind of 'fan' out there.

As opposed to Man United "fans" calling him a rapist and sex offender for 7 years and suddenly love him, I'm hardly being hypocritical. I'm only calling him that cause he chose to take a swipe at Arsenal and run rather than staying and trying to help change things.

The way I see it, the players who leave their clubs for clubs like City, United and Chelsea don't want to work hard for their success. Going to United makes it a little more believable when players say they want to win trophies(a little less believable when they get paid 200k in order to win trophies). It's because these clubs have cash out of their owners ass to spend makes it difficult for teams to really improve. When teams want to buy decent players and they offer a honest price, a team like City or Chelsea comes in with a ridiculous offer and the club takes it, it's more or less the selling club that's at fault because they're accepting this stupid offers. And then there's the wages these teams pay is even dumber. For example, Nasri didn't deserved that pay he got when he signed with City, I'll admit he's been a bit more impressive so far(as much as I despise to say it).

Wages is the real thing that's destroying soccer, players see someone that's probably as good if not worst than them is getting paid more than him and they go and say they want more money, and when clubs like Arsenal are getting these demands for wage raises and they won't bite then the players start to spread slander about the club and try and force moves to clubs that will pay them outrageous wages. Clubs need to start telling these players "you will get paid what we pay you and if you don't like it there's the bench" or either the FA and other countries football governing bodies or even UEFA need to implement wage caps otherwise all the European leagues are gonna end up like La Liga where it's always seems to be a 2 horse race and the only interesting race is for 3rd and relegation.

(I don't know how I went from talking about RvP to talking about wages and wage caps)

Smurf

Reaction score
You know that Man Utd are not made of money right? Like, they are in pretty considerable debt actually....Fergie didn't spend much money last off season for no reason...Its because they were F'd financially...They got the ship righted a little bit and Fergie went out and got some players.

Also...

If 0 goals in 2 games IS acceptable to you...You have crap standards. If the Sounders go 2 games without scoring a goal the ENTIRE FANBASE goes ape shit.

Arsenal have repeatedly failed to address their star players concerns....and then their star players left. Cesc was always going ot go to Barca, you're a moron if you didn't think he would go eventually. But Nasri and RVP? They could have been saved if Arsenal opened up the damn pocketbook...like 3 seasons ago.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It looks Moussa Dembele might be on his way to Spurs. He has been pure class in the games I've seen him play and has been one of the midfielders I've wanted at Spurs for ages now. I'm really hoping that this one goes through. Rumours about Lloris are picking up steam too. Again, fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Smurf":2s68q3xe said:
You know that Man Utd are not made of money right? Like, they are in pretty considerable debt actually....Fergie didn't spend much money last off season for no reason...Its because they were F'd financially...They got the ship righted a little bit and Fergie went out and got some players.

Also...

If 0 goals in 2 games IS acceptable to you...You have crap standards. If the Sounders go 2 games without scoring a goal the ENTIRE FANBASE goes ape shit.

Arsenal have repeatedly failed to address their star players concerns....and then their star players left. Cesc was always going ot go to Barca, you're a moron if you didn't think he would go eventually. But Nasri and RVP? They could have been saved if Arsenal opened up the damn pocketbook...like 3 seasons ago.

I wasn't exactly talking about the Man United as of the last 2 years, though they're still trying to fix their debt and they spent probably around 40-50 million on Kagawa and Van Persie.

And 0 goals in 2 games is only acceptable cause it was the first 2 games and Arsenal have allowed 0 goals in the process. If they had lost either or both of those games then I'd be upset. 3 of the next 4 games will be huge for Arsenal. Arsenal has Liverpool this Saturday, and then following Southampton, they've got City and Chelsea, if Arsenal manages to get 4 or 5 points at least in those 3 games(they'll probably beat the Saints) I think Arsenal will be okay, if they get any less then I'll be a little worried, if they get nothing out of those 3 then I'll be really worried.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Word spreading on twitter is that Arsenal have had a bid of £17m accepted by Newcastle United for Yohan Cabaye.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
My hopes are high we are still looking for a second striking option, and maybe another decent defender.

Apparently we are needing to sell off our dead weight before larger moves can happen.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":34nt6is2 said:
Gate, RVP gave Arsenal some fantastic effort and a lot of goals. Nasri played well for them. Same with Fabregas and Reyes. I didn't call Torres names when he went to Chelsea. I didn't call Owen names when he went to Real. I wouldn't have called Gerrard names if he'd went to Chelsea 7 years ago. It's part of the game. I respect players for their contributions to my team and wish them the best when they move on. Holding grudges against players is stupid. Blame the management for not convincing them that staying is the best option, and for not putting them in a position where they feel like they can win trophies.

I don't recall Torres talking about how he loves Liverpool and that he couldn't see himself ever playing for a team other than Liverpool. Van Persie talked about his love for Arsenal and that he doesn't want to leave 6 months ago, then hightails it after cracking on the club. Nasri on the other hand ditched Arsenal for triple pay at City and cracked on Arsenal and spent the whole season trying to justify his move, while pissing off Arsenal fans at the same time, and he still hasn't justified his move(a trophy doesn't change the fact that he spent the majority of the season on the bench). It doesn't help that those players, among others, refuse to thank Wenger or Arsenal for the opportunity. Sure the board is obviously more concerned with paying off a loan than investing in the team, it starting to look like they're finished with that though. But, Arsenal fans are sick and tired of pulling knives out of their backs that were stuck there by players they thought were loyal and proud to be Gunners.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Dempsey's been pretty close for 2 months, at the rate it's going he's not leaving Fulham until January at the earliest.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I was looking through Arsenal's roster trying to figure out who I think they should sell, and one player just feels on the fence for me, Andrei Arshavin. He does have loads of potential and he's shown it, especially 09-10 and 10-12, but the last year he's just seemed really lazy and completely uninterested in trying. I have noticed that Wenger has an unusual amount of faith in Arshavin, but it's hurt Arsenal last season(his brilliant defending on the 2nd Man U goal last January). He's one of those players where if he leaves it won't be a tragedy, but if he stays he's gotta prove himself worthy of the faith he's being given instead of just half-assing it through most of the games. That's just my opinion though.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":wrmxymlx said:
Dembele is one of my favorite non-Liverpool players, Spur, and if Spurs really do get him that'll be a major coup. I don't think he'll fully replace Modric, and if Bale goes next year there'll be an even bigger hole to fill, but he's a real quality midfielder, is good on the ball and passes well. As for Lloris....I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree about Dembele being unlikely to fully replace Modric. The closest we could have realistically come to that was probably Moutinho, but if Spurs do manage to sign Dembele and Wilian for the same amount of money then I think the team is better off.

As for Lloris, like all Spurs transfers I never believe it 'til I see it, but I don't think it's out of the question. Lyon have accepted a bid and quotes from the player sound promising. Most bigger clubs have incumbent goalkeepers so, as I say, it's not out of the question. Friedel is 40-41 and is too slow for the type of defence Villas-Boas likes to play.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":sdesefzk said:
Stoke have offered 4mil for Charle Adam. I say take it and run, and get whatever we can for Spearing and Cole.

Adam, Palacios and Shawcross! May as well go the whole hog and sign Scholes as well. I hope we rest our star players when we go to Stoke.

I don't see anyone offering more than £4m for Adam so I'd agree with you. Get rid of his wages and get him off the squad. Daniel Levy has been waiting for someone to meet his evaluations of Bentley, dos Santos and Jenas for years now, turning down reasonable offers. As a result we've had 3 extra years of paying their wages so it's a big of a false economy to wait for the right deal. The only value they have to us now is to bulk out our squad with homegrown players.

Lucas is out again. Do Liverpool have adequate cover or will they need to bring someone in?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":18ajnnom said:
By the way... spoke to a manager yesterday and apparently the Swansea players wanted Laudrup out almost as soon as he arrived. Didn't click at all... a few protests within the squad etc. Now have a 100% record, scored eight goals and conceded none. I'm working on their next game on Tuesday.

Do you know why they didn't like him? Was he too arrogant? Demanding? Foreign? Still better at football than the players? They certainly seem to have responded well over the past couple of months, one way or another. They certainly seem to have a more than adequate replacement for Sigurdsson in Michu.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Here's the latest Liverpool transfer rumour courtesy of the fake Yaya Toure on twitter: Liverpool's bid for Fernando Llorente has hit a snag. Athletic Bilboa insist they want £25m, whilst liverpool refuse to pay less then £35m.

Sounds more plausible than most of the other rumours on twitter.