Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Mitch said on his show today that good progress is being made between Hansen ans the city. That Hansen is in town, and if all goes well, that an agreement could possibly come within a week!

This is crunch time, guys. EVERYONE who wants this needs to email and call all of the city council this week. Multiple times, if you can. It's the 4th qtr! Time to step up and close this out!

That includes you too, J. You can help end this thread!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I just sent a new round of emails!

C'mon people, email, call, Facebook 'em, twitter! Keep the pressure on!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The only problem with that Dom is that it means you never get a team. I want the Sonics to come back just to renew the rivalry with the Blazers. It will give us something to talk about other then the Ducks beating the Huskies and Cougs again. And again...

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":xvvlwhxc said:
The only problem with that Dom is that it means you never get a team. I want the Sonics to come back just to renew the rivalry with the Blazers. It will give us something to talk about other then the Ducks beating the Huskies and Cougs again. And again...

Incorrect.

We need to keep this thread alive long after the Sonics return to their Blazer beating ways.

Just too much fun!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1xq8xm5g said:
JSeahawks":1xq8xm5g said:

Incorrect.

We need to keep this thread alive long after the Sonics return to their Blazer beating ways.

Just too much fun!

You're missing my point. I'd be happy and excited to talk about Sonics basketball even if they're beating my beloved Blazers, because thats sports! I'd be perfectly happy with those threads going on forever, they'll be fun. The point of my earlier posts was that i'm tired of hearing about political deals, city councils, and all the other behind the scenes BS that is going on up there. I just wish that was over already and we could be talking about hoops.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":a68torh7 said:
Tech Worlds":a68torh7 said:
JSeahawks":a68torh7 said:

Incorrect.

Just too much fun!

You're missing my point. I'd be happy and excited to talk about Sonics basketball even if they're beating my beloved Blazers, because thats sports! I'd be perfectly happy with those threads going on forever, they'll be fun. The point of my earlier posts was that i'm tired of hearing about political deals, city councils, and all the other behind the scenes BS that is going on up there. I just wish that was over already and we could be talking about hoops.

I'm with you on this, I want to have fun already! I'm tired of getting my blood bubbling everytime something political happens with it. That and politics are just boring.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":1oknvi0e said:
JSeahawks":1oknvi0e said:
JSeahawks":1oknvi0e said:

I'm with you on this, I want to have fun already! I'm tired of getting my blood bubbling everytime something political happens with it. That and politics are just boring.

Right there with you Throw, just get it done sooner rather than later.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":iktxgwaj said:
I e-mailed them. Not sure if it'll make a difference since i'm not a resident of the area, but I tried to do my part, for what it's worth.

What did you say? Just curious. You tell them what a boon the Thunder has been to the city?

chris98251

Reaction score
Politics isn't boring, you are getting the vanilla version in the media, just think how the behind the scenes and actual conversations are. I mean Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones type conspiracies as well as the greed and what can I get out of it. Political Animals is another good one right now.

Reading between the lines on some of this crap and knowing that each one of the political parties involved has their hand out and then breaking that down to each politician.

Chris Hansen is the new kid on the block, they all want him to pay his dues for taking the headlines.

He will own or in partnership a large portion of real estate, a NBA franchise possible Hockey franchise. If you look at the weight Paul Allen has as well as Howard Lincoln in what happens in Seattle it's a substantial level of clout.

Once he has it that won't be easy to take away so all the politicians want their dues paid now.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":wlmo7vje said:
Tech Worlds":wlmo7vje said:
JSeahawks":wlmo7vje said:

Incorrect.

Just too much fun!

I am not missing your point at all. I get it, you don't like all the biz aspects of sports. You don't have to read it.

I feel this is the most important thread of the year and once the Sonics are back it should be archived as one of the most important threads in the history of this message board.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To go with what TW said, Seatown81 deserves a medal. Or a free beer. He has been a torch for this cause.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
IF this gets done at the soonest point possible... And if Hansen already has a handshake deal with the Maloofs... Is there any chance we see the Kings (Sonics) playing at the Key this next year?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1b2zn8vj said:
SeaTown81":1b2zn8vj said:
peachesenregalia":1b2zn8vj said:
I e-mailed them. Not sure if it'll make a difference since i'm not a resident of the area, but I tried to do my part, for what it's worth.

What did you say? Just curious. You tell them what a boon the Thunder has been to the city?

I sent it from my work e-mail and I'm home now, but I basically said that I don't live in the city, but am a lifelong seahawks fan, and living in Oklahoma am a Thunder fan. I've gotten to see up close and personal how much it hurt the Sonics fans losing the team, and how they didn't deserve it. I let them know that I think it would not only be great for the city of Seattle, but for the NBA and the sport of basketball to have the Sonics back in Seattle. I finished up with a bit about how I believe Seattle to have some of sport's greatest fans, and how much this means to them and to future generations, and that I'm looking forward to a long and passionate rivalry between our two locales.

Almost shed a tear...good man, Peaches. You didn't have to do it, but thanks for the support.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":4vnyuiw7 said:
SeaTown81":4vnyuiw7 said:
peachesenregalia":4vnyuiw7 said:

I sent it from my work e-mail and I'm home now, but I basically said that I don't live in the city, but am a lifelong seahawks fan, and living in Oklahoma am a Thunder fan. I've gotten to see up close and personal how much it hurt the Sonics fans losing the team, and how they didn't deserve it. I let them know that I think it would not only be great for the city of Seattle, but for the NBA and the sport of basketball to have the Sonics back in Seattle. I finished up with a bit about how I believe Seattle to have some of sport's greatest fans, and how much this means to them and to future generations, and that I'm looking forward to a long and passionate rivalry between our two locales.
The first time OKC comes to town I will make damn sure I get tickets. That will be HOSTILE.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Blitzer88":31we46qk said:
Man not much news lately....
There's actually been a lot going on lately, but it's been mostly kind of downer news so there probably hasn't been a lot of enthusiasm to talk about it. If you're not checking up on sonicscentral.com daily or following @sonicsarena @sonicsgate @chrisdaniels5 @brockandsalk @aaronq13fox on twitter, I'd recommend that as well.

Basically the news went from a lot of talk that the deal was going to get done very soon, talking about an actual SCC vote on the thing before the recess. Now that's looking unlikely, and the Port and other anti-arena sorts are throwing everything they can at it. The Port put out their own traffic study, but it didn't do anything to prove their case so they called it "unsatisfying" and basically are trying to delay the thing for "further study" which is basically their attempt to slow drain this thing to death, and it seems like Councilman Burgess might hold this thing up in committee and give the Port their wish. Max Vekich and the Save Our Sodo douches have intensified their smear campaign, and the Seattle Mariners have apparently officially lined up with that group, as their name was featured as an organization opposed to the arena location in their latest ad. Now today there's been a poll released that showed 52% of Seattle voters were opposed to using public bonding for the arena. The demographics of the poll did not represent the demographics of the city, but instead of registered voters which does make sense, however the questions were leading (it is a damn push poll after all) and the margin of error was over 5%, which means they can't even put together a push poll that statistically demonstrates that the majority of Seattle voters (which includes a heavy dose of old farts) are against this thing.

That's what's been going on. Don't get down, though, that's the worst thing we can do. Keep emailing, calling, fighting, and let's not give up or sit on our hands due to overconfidence. If this thing gets past the SCC, even if that means after their recess, I'd probably call the thing unstoppable. Even though both the city and county councils would vote on it again after SEPA and the EIS, I think it's unlikely anything major changes from then on out. I'm not as good as stirring up positive emotion in the crowd here as EJ, but let's just keep pushing until Sonics tickets are in our hands.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I'll go to an M's game. Once the team is sold and Howard Lincoln is sent away in a trash can.