Diablo III

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
Diablo III
Mon May 14, 2012 4:58 pm
  • Anyone going to one of the midnight launch events? I called the local gamestop and they anticipated a heavy turnout, as in show up 90 minutes early and take a number, then stand in line for a couple of hours.

No thanks. I ordered the digital download.

Anyway super pumped for this game. Spent many a late night playing with buddies on the office computer network back in the day.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Re: Diablo III
Mon May 14, 2012 6:40 pm
  • Many of my friends who don't play video games anymore but did play diablo 2 will be getting it. I just ordered a new PC since it was time to upgrade. Should be getting it in 5 days and will be playing large amounts of D3 with it I imagine.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm
  • I pre-ordered the regular online digital download, and I've been logged in for ~35 minutes, still trying to create a character. Good job, Blizzard. You guys still know how to launch a game. *rolls eyes*

They are seriously retarded, there's no way they can't fairly accurately predict launch demand by now. They should have made login server images on Amazon EC2 so they could spin up as many as needed for the first week or whatever, to ensure they could handle the capacity; but no, they just need to make it unplayable by letting themselves get DDOS'd until enough people get frustrated and stop trying to login.

I seriously wish I could have pirated this game, Blizzard doesn't deserve my damn money.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 15, 2012 5:11 am
  • Just spent a couple of hours playing it instead of working out.

Polished game. Addictive play mechanic just like D2 but with all the modern accouterments.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 am
  • aaaand the game servers are down.

Ok, it's times like these that cloud based gaming sucks. I would like an offline version of d3 please.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 am
  • I posted this on the Ars Technica article about D3's initial troubles, and it applies here equally well:

If Blizzard actually cared about a good launch experience and not just raking in as much cash as possible, they'd have created a login server mirror on Amazon EC2 so they could spin up as many as they needed to handle the influx; but of course they didn't do any such thing, and people banged their heads against the login server and character creation walls for hours.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am
  • Yup, the time in which I did get to play I was having a blast. But that error 37 boss was one of the most frustrating things I have ever come across. Naturally, me being the Diablo whore I am, will still come back to them when the servers go back up.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 pm
  • Note the times and explanations. lol. Might as well put an out of order until further notice sign.
    Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG (86.21 KiB) Viewed 4634 times

Server capacity issues at launch.. understandable except for the fact that you can't even play the game at all, even in single player mode, without getting permission from their servers. Fail.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 15, 2012 2:07 pm
  • Massive fail. The idea not to have an offline single player mode was beyond stupid.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Tue May 15, 2012 9:14 pm
  • And the servers are down again. I didn't pay $60 just so I could not play a game.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:And the servers are down again. I didn't pay $60 just so I could not play a game.

What's the point of including a DVD if you still need to D/L everything?

Still haven't been able to login.

**UPDATE** And now I'm getting a 14001 error...
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed May 16, 2012 8:19 am
  • You can switch to European or Asian realms in the "account options" screen if the North America servers are down. But you have to create a new player from scratch. Just a tip if you don't want to wait. ;)
    SHOCKER315
    NET Veteran

Sat May 19, 2012 3:22 pm
  • How do you guys like it so far? They seemed to have fixed a lot of the server problems. My laptop barely runs it and I shouldn't even have played it yet; I got a warning that wouldn't let me play it because of my video card, but I found a way around it.

It's at the point where I may just wait for my new PC to come in next week before I play anymore. Pretty funny how slow it can be. I like it a lot though.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat May 19, 2012 3:58 pm
  • Servers still go down a lot but when you get kicked off you can get back in right away. Not so bad unless you're 15 minutes into a boss fight when it happens.

Graphics and diaglog are a bit cheesy at times. Some of it looks and sounds like it was lifted right out of a nintendo game. Expected a more gothic edgy feel.

That being said, the play mechanic and game pacing are great. And I love having good old fashioned boss fights which this game delivers.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sat May 19, 2012 4:26 pm
  • I really like the changes they brought to the boss fights. As fun as D2 was, it felt like bosses never were a challenge and were more of a pain to do. I've only gotten through Act 2 though, so I can't say much about future storyline.

I'm also pretty excited about the future PVP patch. I spent the majority of my time PVPing in D2 and really like the idea of organized PVP in Diablo.

I'm curious as to how much profit people will be able to make on the real money auction house that comes soon too. I'm sure gold farmers will become really active again, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of money the average player can make.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 am
  • It's fun, but certainly nothing spectacular. Nightmare mode is more like daydream mode, though. I hear the difficulty bumps up a lot past that, but I've been leveling two chars (42 Demon Hunter with friends, 32 Witch Doctor solo) and nightmare's definitely a cakewalk.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon May 21, 2012 5:46 am
  • mistaowen wrote:I really like the changes they brought to the boss fights. As fun as D2 was, it felt like bosses never were a challenge and were more of a pain to do. I've only gotten through Act 2 though, so I can't say much about future storyline.

I'm also pretty excited about the future PVP patch. I spent the majority of my time PVPing in D2 and really like the idea of organized PVP in Diablo.

I'm curious as to how much profit people will be able to make on the real money auction house that comes soon too. I'm sure gold farmers will become really active again, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of money the average player can make.

For the wizard I discovered that Diamond Skin plus Hydra makes Boss fights pretty much a formality. Enable diamond skin, cast hydra, attack until diamond skin wears off, evade until diamond skin can be used again, casting hydras whenever the boss becomes stationary. Wash, rinse, repeat. With the final boss in act 4 I had to start evading before Diamond skin wore off, but other than that technique was completely effective.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Mon May 21, 2012 2:56 pm
  • What difficulty are you finding diamond skin really useful on, Sad?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What difficulty are you finding diamond skin really useful on, Sad?

Definitely less useful after beating the game once, esp those clusters of 3 magical enemies surrounded by mobs. Ugh. Still working good for boss fights thus far tho. I'm at level 35 atm.

Honestly, I think those magic plus group surrounded by mob thingies are harder than bosses. Boss fights in D3 are about relax, finesse, control. The former seems to be more about trying to fight and retreat without accidentally being hemmed in or exposing another cluster, 'cause then you're dead for sure.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 pm
  • That's why I asked. I don't have a Wizard yet, but one of the two friends I'm playing my Demon Hunter with stopped using it pretty much the second we hit Act II in nightmare mode. He was complaining about it being marginally useful in Act I on nightmare, and said it's utterly useless as of Act II, lol. Sounds like he's right. (We're 42, plus I have a 43 Witch Doctor.)

The boss fights are definitely not as hard as some of the random groups you encounter, I agree. We've mostly breezed through nightmare thus far, but I hear the bump up to hell makes a world of difference. I'm looking forward to that.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 22, 2012 6:45 pm
  • the way I think it seems to be working is you pretty much want to follow the rune and skill unlocks as the character levels up in order to keep up with the hit point increases and increasing capabilities of the enemies. when your friend gets to level 44 I suspect diamond skin will become useful again.

It's interesting in that it sorta forces you to learn all the different things your guy can do and there's a lot of fun to be had in playing with different combinations of skills, but on the other hand it forces you away from things you like for periods of time when they become less useful until the next run unlock.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 pm
  • I definitely haven't followed the progressive upgrade paths for runes for most of my skills, but I have on some. I have had to change what I use from time to time, though; I kind of like that, keeps it from getting too boring/repetitive.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 29, 2012 10:17 am
  • aaaaand yet another extended service outage. Awesome.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am
  • Until when? It better be up when I get home, I've got plans to play with a friend after work. >.>

In other Diablo III-related news, has anybody started a hardcore character yet? I have, and I find it immeasurably more enjoyable than regular, or "softcore", mode. My progression of events with hardcore is as follows:

1) Made a monk. Got to level 15, then took three knockbacks in immediate succession which was a bad piece of luck, and it killed me. Learned a lesson; must have more vitality and mitigation, even at a large cost in damage gear. I had decent health for the level, but could have had a lot more. Rest in piece, Deschain. (My monk's name.)

2) Made a new monk, and leveled with a friend who made a wizard. We got to 14, and he died without blowing cooldowns; kind of a dumb death. He learned his lesson, because losing your first hardcore character sucks.

3) Made a witch doctor to level with him from scratch until we reached 14 again, so I could switch back to my monk. We stopped when we hit 14 for the night.

4) Started leveling a wizard so we could both kite like champs with two Blizzard spells at our disposal. Got him to 14 while friend was on vacation for a couple of days.

5) We leveled our wizards quite a bit more, and we're level 23 now. My Witch Doctor is 24, who I'm playing solo. Belial is also a way different fight, knowing you CANNOT let yourself get caught getting whacked and standing in poison pools, because you don't get a do-over.

For those that may not know, when you make a hardcore character, you have no lives. When that character dies, that's it; the character cannot be played anymore. You delete it and start over. It's a true hardcore experience, and I'm loving it, whereas my regular/softcore characters I was merely enjoying playing. It adds a thrilling element to the game that simply does not exist if you're not playing a hardcore character. You're careful, cautious, you use planning, etc. It's a very different feel. Also, your bank and gold are separate for hardcore characters from softcore ones; you can't level up to 60 on a softcore character, and twink out a hardcore one to make leveling easy. Your hardcore characters still share gold and stash space with other hardcore characters, but not with softcore ones. Also, it's a different auction house with a different economy. (Vitality gear is the most expensive, whereas good DPS gear is what's most expensive on the softcore auction house.)

Quite simply, I think everyone should at least give hardcore a shot. You'll almost certainly die at an earlier level than you anticipated, but damn, it's a thrill. The panic of getting overwhelmed and nearly dying, but surviving, on hardcore; it's exciting in a way nothing in softcore is.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue May 29, 2012 12:03 pm
  • I haven't dared make a hardcore character until my comp comes in because I surely will die due to problems out of my hands lol but i agree, in D2 I played with some hardcore characters and you play the game entirely different. Right now, I just merely run it and try to kill everything without a care and if I die, then so be it. In hardcore you have to be more strategic and it's basically a different game. I never got too far with one though, I'll probably try it out again in a little.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24 am
  • So, I've started Hell difficulty on my hardcore Witch Doctor. (He's 51, now.) I'm only like 30 minutes or something, into Act I; I'm at the part where you just helped the blacksmith kill his wife, and I'm leaving town over the bridge. Well, the first champion pack I encountered has fast, mortar, and vortex. What a ridiculous combination. I very nearly died, (which is a hell of a thrill) but I have no clue how to escape this pack. I tried retreating to town, so now they're in that area in front of the bridge where the blacksmith originally was. I can't possibly run far enough away from them after leading them somewhere to port to town, since they have fast. I only survived because I made a beeline to the basement where the blacksmith's wife was. The mobs are too close to the bridge leaving town for me to leave without aggroing them, so I'll have to try and lure them somewhere. Fast and vortex is such a crappy combo for ranged classes, I can't even come close to tanking these three things. Not sure how I'm going to get past them, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:45 pm
  • Roland, I'm a level 57 wiz in hell, just started act 2, and I've pretty much completely gave up on the idea of doing any of the quests alone at this point. I've just been joining public games and for the most part have played with some pretty good people. It makes it much less frustrating, but even with a full group of 4 people there have been a few parts where we all die many times.
    jls1986
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 pm
  • 55 Witch Doctor hardcore, now. This stuff's serious, on hardcore; lol. Changes how you play, even how you run around.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 am
  • Do you mean inferno? Damn I don't even want to attempt that until I'm level 60.
    jls1986
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:18 am
  • Anyone playing with a monk? My buddy just got through A1 inferno on his own pretty easily from what he said, I may try one out.

Got my WD and wizard up to A2 nightmare, WD first, but lost interest in him so went to wizard. Really enjoying it so far. I heard wizard has a hard time surviving in hell and through inferno though, so we will see.

Roland, do you have to buy items off the AH more in hardcore to help with survivability? I imagine you'd need pretty good gear to ensure you don't die, even if you are cautious lol
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:22 pm
  • Inferno at 55? LOL, no way. Not on hardcore. NOBODY is trying inferno before 60. I'm like halfway through Act II on Hell. I'm so paranoid of dying, it's exhilarating.

@Mistaowen: Yes, you have to buy more on the AH, and since the AH for hardcore is separate from the softcore one, the selection is far less and prices are higher. You really need to farm for stuff towards 60.

Also, lol @ anyone saying inferno is easy. Graveyard zerging and dying a thousand times over the course of inferno does not mean it's easy, it means you're banging your head against concrete to bust through it like a noob. Tell your Monk friend to try that shit on hardcore. It's literally a different game.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:20 am
  • my fault, I misread what you said, I thought you were talking about the difficulty (nightmare) instead of the hardcore mode. I've yet to make a hardcore char. Hell is hard, I don't even want to imagine what inferno will be like...
    jls1986
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:51 pm
  • Inferno is ridiculous. Lol. You literally have to strategize every pull that may be difficult at all. (For hardcore, that is. Softcore noobs just graveyard zerg it until it's dead.)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:39 am
  • I haven't gotten to Inferno yet. Way to busy with my internship and every time I get to 30 with a class I seem to get bored and roll something else.
    Dietrich
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:27 pm
  • Pushing towards hell now, haven't had much time to play lately with work and graduate school applications. I watched some videos of inferno play and people were getting 1 hit for over 100k lol I can't wait to graveyard zerg!

It's going to be fun when they add PVP. Anyone know details of how it'll work? Level caps, armor changes, arena sizes, etc. All the beta play I saw was 2v2.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:31 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:I can't wait to graveyard zerg!

:34853_doh:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:I can't wait to graveyard zerg!

:34853_doh:

Haha, only joking. I have no idea what to expect from Inferno. I don't dare try hardcore until I get further in regular.

Imagine a hardcore PVP mode? Always have to start over if you lose.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 am
  • Got my wiz to level 60 yesterday. Now I just wish I could get some better gear before going to inferno. Most of the gear I pick up isn't any good.
    jls1986
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 am
  • Lost my hardcore 40 Barbarian last night, lol. I was being too much of a Rambo, and wearing level ~25 gear. Got trapped in Act II nightmare where you're in the underground cavern with the long thin corridors, got trapped by a champion pack that dropped three arcanes on me.

No more being cheap with the gear, could have easily survived it if I hadn't been wearing junk.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 am
  • Oh damn that sucks!
    jls1986
    NET Rookie

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:28 pm
  • Enjoying Hell with my wizard, but it is noticably more difficult after A1. I have to kite almost every large pack which required me to completely change up my skill set. Still having fun, but I have to say I like playing with my monk friend who takes most of the heat more.

Getting ansy for PVP though, redoing the story for the third time has gotten somewhat stale. PVP was my favorite part of D2 and am excited for what this should bring. WoW like arenas with D3 characters. Should be fun.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:39 pm
  • The story (lol, what story?) is old, for sure; but I'm enjoying the challenge of inferno mode on my hardcore Witch Doctor. I'm ~halfway through Act I, approximately. I don't foresee problems with the Butcher when I get to him, but inferno Act II is supposedly pretty damned tough for hardcore chars.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 pm
  • Everything I have heard is the jump from A1 to A2 inferno is pretty ridiculous lol most people have to farm A1 for awhile or do well on the AH to progress through A2. Then A3 and A4 are fairly doable once you can handle A2 well. Hardcore must be pretty nail biting though....vortex into a pack of sentrys often kills me in Hell.

Also, story is pretty meh, but they did set up a few things to hopefully have a good expansion. It wont be out for awhile I'm sure, but hopefully they put some effort into it unlike the regular lol
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:57 pm
  • I just wish they'd get rid of Fast as a champion pack ability. If you're ranged, fast is like guaranteed death; you have to escape and reset until you don't get fast, for a lot of combos. : /
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:50 am
  • The jump from A1 to A2 is quite massive lol I'm able to farm A1 easily now with my wizard and went into A2 thinking I could cruise...

After a few hours of trying and having 10 minute battles against every elite pack, I think it's time to start farming A1 again. Kinda sucks though, I'm not really getting gear that improves me too much anymore.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:03 am
  • All the complaints/potential court cases about the real money auction house lately are pretty amusing. People just losing $150-$200 sales and getting messages from Blizzard saying there's nothing they can do. It's too bad how the RMAH is dictated by Blizzard based off nerfs on previously good stats, allowing them to constantly make currently used items inferior by stat changes on their side. Thus resulting in people buying more new items to keep up with the change.

They also have admitted to there being no 'sufficient end game' at this point, as they didn't think people would become bored so quickly with farming. This game isn't WoW, but it is very much a WoW-Diablo hybrid, which is why I think customers want more 'end game.' Patch 1.1 for PVP is still a ways away, and that won't include additional story/challenges/etc with this. It'll be interesting to see what they eventually add to try and increase replay value. I know D2 improved after the expansion, but that doesn't seem like an option for a few years. Hopefully they wont have lost most of their players by then.

I don't know what the difference between D2 and D3 for me is with the never ending loot grind, but I just don't find myself interested in constantly doing that in this game like I did in D2. Maybe it is the level cap of 60 at this point which is easily attainable, or once you hit 60 there is nothing left to do besides repeatedly clear the same zones, or the fact that I have to buy items if I don't want to farm for weeks to keep up with those who do buy items. PVP will be destroyed if bought items can be used... it wont be a matter of being better, they'll be better simply because they spent more money than the other. My interest in this game has sadly decreased quickly.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:42 am
  • found items being fairly inaqdequete at higher levels of the game is what killed the fun for me. I was dying a lot from seemingly impossible to defeat mobs. My brother comes over, looks at what I'm doing, laughs, goes to the auction house and loads me up with a bunch of stuff. Suddenly those crazy mobs became manageable.

It's just kinda weak. It just feels like a rigged game for lack of a better phrase. I haven't played it in over a month.

Plus the damn servers go down all the time. I don't like this whole having to connect to a server for a single player game thing. Next thing you know you'll have to have an internet connection and a session with a server to play your copy of madden. At that point I'll just stop gaming all together.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:11 pm
  • I don't know if anyone is still playing this, but feel free to add Artik666#1560 to your friends list...just got this and having a good time with it.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 am
  • Patch 1.0.4 dropped today. Tons of changes, I like it so far. I hadn't played at all lately but it seems like they've got it right.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information