rap thread?....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: rap thread?....
Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 am
  • The new Slum Village mixtape

ahh I love that good ol' detroit sound
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:04 pm
  • I was at the Drake Concert the other night in Scotland it was awesome he put on such a great show.

Here is a funny rap video its a canadian rapper

Image GO HAWKS !

Follow me on Twitter: @NFL_Hawk
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 pm
  • This is one of my friends from Detroit whose hitting it hard in that area, got a few mixx tapes with DJ Pest. I'll post a few here, let me know what you guys think. Actually met this dude playing Madden 7 yrs ago and became friends while running Madden leagues together.

YaktownHawK
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 pm
  • YaktownHawK wrote:This is one of my friends from Detroit whose hitting it hard in that area, got a few mixx tapes with DJ Pest. I'll post a few here, let me know what you guys think. Actually met this dude playing Madden 7 yrs ago and became friends while running Madden leagues together.

I only listened to the 1st song but sounds pretty good.
    Image GO HAWKS !

Follow me on Twitter: @NFL_Hawk
    dino26
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:50 am
  • "Falling Off" and "They Say" I like 'em a lot.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:46 am
  • Sooo I made a mix CD for today and anyother sunny day lol heres some stuff I put on it.

Something about sunny weather, makes me say scew you to new music and bump the old schoolers.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm
  • Man, Outkast is seriously my favorite spring time sunny day music. Especially ATLiens. Nothing beats it.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 pm
  • So since this is the rap/hip hop thread I'm guessing it'd be safe to post some J.Dilla?

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:39 pm
  • Watching the performance Snoop and Dre did at Coachella...I was fine with Wiz Khalifa and 50 Cent dropping in on the party...but CGI Tupac? WHAT THE HELL??!?!?!?!?!

EDIT: and then Eminem came out and everything went back to glory.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:14 am
  • Man, that Tupac part was awesome! And then they even had the CGI version of him do my favorite song Hail Mary? lol I was excited when that happend.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 am
  • ahh I smile everytime I watch this haha

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:10 am
  • Throwdown wrote:ahh I smile everytime I watch this haha

Yea, when I saw that last night, it was both incredibly cool and totally creepy all at the same time.
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:20 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    muxpux wrote:
    Minne wrote:Tech N9ne is hands down the best rapper in the game.

he had some songs i liked so i got a bunch of his stuff, and realized i didnt like him THAT much. technique wise im sure hes up there, but just not my style.

Exactly. He's one of the best rappers as far as skills go, diction and cadence are second to none. Subject matter and the music he makes, however, are definitely for a specific audience.

I recorded him once. Super cool dude, very respectful and professional, but you won't catch me really bumping his sh*t too often. Just can't really get into it.

I agree with this assessment of Tech 9ine. He is not fit for mass consumption however the guy can flow like none other. He's a very skilled musician, as well.

That said, I've found myself listening to Mos Def a bit lately. Very cerebral. This collaborative track he did with Massive Attack is the cut.

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Man, Outkast is seriously my favorite spring time sunny day music. Especially ATLiens. Nothing beats it.

Their records are really the gold standard for modern hip-hop, in my opinion. I'm really hoping they produce a new record this year as the rumor mill has been indicating. It's hard to classify them as hip-hop/rap, though, when their style spans over several genres from pop rock to pure Southern hip-hop to soul, to jazz.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:42 pm
  • Snowgoons.. I can't stop. Its good stuff.

My tapatalk is bigger than yours. By a lot.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:48 am
  • Cool thread. Maybe it can save my dying love for hip-hop. Most of my favorite emcees are in their 40's now, and I can't say I've cared for too many recent artists probably going all the way back to when Kanye came onto the scene.

I'm sorry, but Tech None and Lil Wayne are pretty awful. Drake had potential but went Ja Rule on us. Made one love song and never stopped. Most of the underground stuff nowadays is corny. I'm having a hard time surviving out here. Watch the Throne was extremely disappointing. Just no juice on it.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:37 pm
  • ^^agree with most of what you said. However, I agree with most on this thread that tech 9, fundamentally is very good. His stuff just isn't for me. All the other new faces of hip hop I really don't care for.

CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:02 pm
  • I love these Top Dawg Ent. dudes

Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:04 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Cool thread. Maybe it can save my dying love for hip-hop. Most of my favorite emcees are in their 40's now, and I can't say I've cared for too many recent artists probably going all the way back to when Kanye came onto the scene.

I'm sorry, but Tech None and Lil Wayne are pretty awful. Drake had potential but went Ja Rule on us. Made one love song and never stopped. Most of the underground stuff nowadays is corny. I'm having a hard time surviving out here. Watch the Throne was extremely disappointing. Just no juice on it.

With your username I was wondering when you were going to show up
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 pm
  • Tell me this doesn't remind you of some old Nas. Good new hip hop's rare IMO, but it's out there.

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Tell me this doesn't remind you of some old Nas. Good new hip hop's rare IMO, but it's out there.

When I first heard that, Nas never really came to mind. Now that you mention it, does kinda have that feel to it.

Speaking of good ol' Nas... his new songs make me want to forget I heard them.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Speaking of good ol' Nas... his new songs make me want to forget I heard them.

That's what I've heard. I'm going to opt out of that situation. Haven't really liked much he's done since It Was Written anyway.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:15 pm

• Man that beat has been an instrumental I've loved for about a year now, heard it on the 14KT Instrumental tape called "14killatape", and Brain didn't disappoint at all.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Guys, sorry if I am late to the party on these guys. I just got turned on to them. They are straight sick. They are an underground German group that just hearing them you think is Mob Deep. They have a heavy east coast vibe and these dudes get down. Its all in english and its legit.

http://www.myspace.com/snowgoons
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:11 pm
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm
  • Mixtape Lil' Wayne was awesome, but that was also while he was on the lean. Tha Carter's have had some good songs, but his most recent one had wayyy too much pop on it, and the fact he has Bruno Mars on a track with him ruined it for me. I think Carter 3 was actually a pretty good album, but I like his older underground stuff more. The last good thing he put out was 'No Ceilings' before he went to jail and since then has given up most of the drugs that he was doing which made his word play amazing. It's good for his health but bad for his music unfortunately. Not sure if I'll ever like him how I used to.

As for other artists, Childish Gambino is frequently played on my ipod. I got into him through the show Community which I'm luke warm about, but his rapping is really good. I wish more of his music would leak!

J Cole puts out some good stuff as well with real lyrics, but now that is he getting more mainstream his songs have become increasingly pop-like. My friend opened for him at UMass a few months ago so I got to meet him and he was a pretty cool dude.

I've always really liked Lupe Fiasco, but unfortunately his record label is making him do tracks he doesn't want to so he has a completely different feel.

Tyler, the Creator is also really starting to grow on me. I was pretty down on him at first, but lately I've really liked his newer stuff. His lyrics are really creative.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:40 pm
  • first time seeing this thread.

I'm a Pac fan, this new stuff like k. lamar and tyler, the creator does nothing for me.

only current rapper i can listen to is Immortal Technique
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:19 am
  • mistaowen wrote:Mixtape Lil' Wayne was awesome, but that was also while he was on the lean. Tha Carter's have had some good songs, but his most recent one had wayyy too much pop on it, and the fact he has Bruno Mars on a track with him ruined it for me. I think Carter 3 was actually a pretty good album, but I like his older underground stuff more. The last good thing he put out was 'No Ceilings' before he went to jail and since then has given up most of the drugs that he was doing which made his word play amazing. It's good for his health but bad for his music unfortunately. Not sure if I'll ever like him how I used to.

As for other artists, Childish Gambino is frequently played on my ipod. I got into him through the show Community which I'm luke warm about, but his rapping is really good. I wish more of his music would leak!

J Cole puts out some good stuff as well with real lyrics, but now that is he getting more mainstream his songs have become increasingly pop-like. My friend opened for him at UMass a few months ago so I got to meet him and he was a pretty cool dude.

I've always really liked Lupe Fiasco, but unfortunately his record label is making him do tracks he doesn't want to so he has a completely different feel.

Tyler, the Creator is also really starting to grow on me. I was pretty down on him at first, but lately I've really liked his newer stuff. His lyrics are really creative.

Check out Childish Gambino's mix tapes. Good shit.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:32 am
  • Anyone like some ignorant stuff? Its definetly not for everyone and you guys might hate it but I was blasting this stuff on my way home tonight.

and the reigning champ of ignorant tracks
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 am
  • mistaowen wrote:I've always really liked Lupe Fiasco, but unfortunately his record label is making him do tracks he doesn't want to so he has a completely different feel.

I used to listen to Lupe almost religiously up until that Lasers crap he put out. I really don't buy the record label angle, its easy to get youreslf out of that situation. Well to me it would seem, ever hear of a dude named Joe Budden? he was in a nice little stand off with his old label Def Jam about the material they wanted him to put out. He would only drop the Mood Muzik mixtapes so the label wouldn't see any money off the music HE wanted to make and they finally gave him his release. He's doing fine now, not top of the world but he never was, when he was on Def Jam he was known as the Pump It Up guy. Now he's in a group with Royce Da 5'9, Joell Ortiz, and Crooked I and has dropped a bunch of albums that were pretty good. I think Lupe used Atlantic Records as a guard against the backlash he was going to get from Lasers.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 am
  • Just got into this dude named JD Era out of Toronto Singed to Raekwons Ice Water stuff.

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 pm

• Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm
  • Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 pm

• New stuffz
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 05, 2012 3:12 am
  • First head this guy on NBA 2K12, so I'm sure some of you heard him too... XV

[youtube]qo6XWe4itPI&ob[/youtube]
    [youtube]QTsHyaffmkc&ob[/youtube]

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon May 07, 2012 12:50 pm
  • I just downloaded childish gambino. It wad the deal of the day on amazon and it is terrible.

I'm digging the jd era.

CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 am
  • The New Meek Mill mixtape came out yesterday, crashed Datpiff.com too haha

But I freaking love this song right here, no explaination though, its simple as hell but I can't stop listening to it. I'm sure I'm going to eventually run it into the ground.

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am
  • My friend texted me as soon as Meek's mixtape crashed haha I like it a lot.

Probably like Ready or not and Burn the most off it. I had Flexin on em last week which is real good too.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm
  • The intro is tough as well, I really like the mixtape. I've been listening to it all day.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue May 08, 2012 10:39 pm
  • Haven't had a chance to listen to the whole mixtape enough, but so far everything is on point. I'll check out the intro. Need more mixtapes to come out like this, I was starting to doubt current hiphop lately!
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed May 09, 2012 1:09 pm
  • Been goin with blue scholors and older lil Wayne stuff like kush off of the leak ep. Great stuff.
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran

Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am
  • Taaaaaaacoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaa

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:I just downloaded childish gambino. It wad the deal of the day on amazon and it is terrible.

I'm digging the jd era.

Dumb founded that someone can not like childish gambino...

Camp is a great album.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat May 19, 2012 2:40 pm
  • Blast from the past moment for me

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 19, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Been reading up on new Lil Wayne releases since he hasn't put anything out since Carter 4. Apparently he just signed a four record deal and plans to put out I Am Not A Human Being Part II sometime in the summer with another release in the fall. The second is probably I can't feel my face with Juelz Santana since they've been working on it for years. He surprisingly has kept it unleaked so far which is unsual since he normally leaks a lot of songs. I miss the days of him putting out mixtapes every few months with DJ Drama screaming all over it haha

From those who have heard it, they said it sounds similar to Carter 2, which would be good, because his latest music has been very average.

Another rumored CD is a second Like Father Like Son with Birdman, but I've never really been a big fan of his. I'm just hoping for some improved Wayne.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Re: Re: rap thread?....
Sat May 19, 2012 4:46 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:I just downloaded childish gambino. It wad the deal of the day on amazon and it is terrible.

I'm digging the jd era.

Dumb founded that someone can not like childish gambino...

Camp is a great album.

It was Camp. The fact that it was four dollars leads me to believe that others agree with me. I can't stand lil wayne, or watch the throne either so maybe there is something wrong with me. I grew up on northern california rap from the early nineties and got into east coast a little. Most of what comes out these days I find to be garbage. I live in a mid sized town and am out of high school so this thread is where I find out what the cool kids listen too.

CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat May 19, 2012 7:48 pm
  • I tend to agree about Watch the Throne. I was expecting a lot more from it with all the hype it got and only like a few songs from it. I started listening to older Kanye again (College Dropout and Graduation) and forgot how talented he can be.

People seem to either really like Wayne or strongly dislike him, I haven't seen much in between. I wouldn't argue that his new stuff isn't very good though. For all the time he spent on Carter 4 it could have been a lot better. He got into a phase of just doing a lot of features on 'pop' songs which resulted in a lot of money and shitty lyrics.

And I'm surprised CAMP even cost four dollars, most new artist mixtapes get leaked as free releases.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 pm
  • I'm pretty in between with Wayne, in HS The Carter II almost never left the CD deck lol. After that its kinda like I never really checked for him, Carter 3 had some good songs and Carter 4 I didn't check for it.

Old Kanye is the best Kanye, I don't know what happend to him but since 808's and Heartbreaks his style has changed up to a total different sound, its disappointing to me, I loved the soulful sound.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat May 19, 2012 10:46 pm
  • I've never really liked Kanye or Weezy. I'm old. Pharoahe Monch is the greatest of all time. That's all I really know.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sat May 19, 2012 10:48 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I've never really liked Kanye or Weezy. I'm old. Pharoahe Monch is the greatest of all time. That's all I really know.

lol did you check his last album? I loved that thing
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

PreviousNext

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information