Ordered a new Desktop Gaming computer...

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
sadhappy":2kd7zpzw said:
After many years of beng a cheap bastard and running on hand me downs, I had an opportunity to snatch a machine out of the test lab at the office as it was no longer needed. Just set it up @home tonight.

OMG this thing is a beast. The power!

Important bits:

* Intel Core I7 x990 cpu @3.47GHZ
* GeForce GTX580 in SLI configuration (yeah, two of them).
* Intel 120GB SSD
* 8GB Ram (yea I'll have to do something about that)
* dual monitors: one 20" and one 24".
* Mackie HR824 studio monitors

:0190l:

Yeah, I'm jealous of your 7.9 HD score. The SSD Drive's are really starting to drop in price now, and I'm eyeing a 500 gig one at NewEgg.com that's down to a bit over $600. It'll happen within the next year. An SSD drive is probably the single upgrade right now that will make the most difference in your total system speed.

And right now, 8 gigs of RAM is plenty, but RAM is so damn cheap now that you may as well get some more. You could double it to 16 for like 50 to 60 bucks! So what the hell? Make sure you get the same make and model though. Heard that's pretty important... Do you concur Roland?

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
hawky":1mhvwlvc said:
You guys all have nice systems. Mine is not impressive at all but works very well.

Mine:
* Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz)
* GeForce GTS450
* Intel 120GB SSD << I have the same! I also have an average 1TB HD and a few dozen externals lol
* 16GB Ram (I don't think I use it all... but I owned a computer store so we just filled it up.
* dual monitors: 2 32" HP 2709m
* Corsair TX750 PSU (I like to keep all programs on all the time lol)
* Crap Altec Lansing speakers (I'm usually on headphones)

It's good enough where I have photoshop (and bridge0, reason, spotify, all office applications, premiere and chrome (with about 10 tabs) open at once and see little performance problems.

That's a powerful system. Some of us just go overboard a bit.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BlueThunder":hkpoq5u0 said:
Make sure you get the same make and model though. Heard that's pretty important... Do you concur Roland?
Well, that's kind of a loaded question. Quality RAM of different brands, but same speeds and timings, is generally fine to mix if you have a quality motherboard, as well.

Sent from Gilead using a thinny.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I removed the side panel to add another 4 gig ram module today, so I thought I'd snap a few pics since I was too lazy to do it the last time. It's got 16 gigs now, and you can see the new one I installed in the upper right of the motherboard...the 2 on the left that are close together. I also upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate so I can go beyond 16 gigs ram up to 32 if I feel compelled to waste the money. 16 is overkill at the moment. I got Ultimate so I can use the Win XP emulator to play some old games that I still enjoy that aren't compatible with Win 7, like "Real War" and "Crimson Skies". Note how this Motherboard has elements of an assault rifle. The clip, forward hand rest and barrel. Kinda stupid and cool at the same time. And yes, a bullet is showing at the top of the clip. lol Didn't think to take a pic of that. Next upgrade: Either a SSD HD or GTX 590 video card, unless the new 600 series catches up. Gonna wait awhile on both. Prices on SSD HD's are dropping fast! That will make the biggest difference by far in system speed! Gotta be at least a 500 gig though. Once those two last upgrades are done, this computer is completed...for probably 3 to 5 years.

CPGuts5

CPGuts4

CPGuts3

CPGuts2

CPGuts1