Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Word is Kevin Johnson, the Maloofs, and the NBA have worked out an arena deal. Before everyone freaks out and thinks that ends things (as is already taking place around the internet, of course), this was always going to happen> KJ didn't go down there to not come up with an agreement to present the Sacramento city council. Keep in mind this is no more a done deal than the arena proposal in Seattle. As of now, it's just a proposed plan. The city council still has to review the deal and vote on it.

For all we know they might say no to selling the city's parking, which the entire deal centers around. Not to mention the other aspects of the agreement between KJ and the league. There is a long way still to go between now and the March 6 vote. It might work out and pass. But it's no sure thing.

It's rumored that the Maloofs are contributing up to $70 million in this plan. But it remains to be seen if that number includes the $50 million AEG contribution that Stern the other day said the league considered to be on the owners' behalf. Which flew in the face of what KJ and the city was thinking. They were expecting $70-90 mil from the Maloofs plus the $50 mil from AEG. So there's a lot of details to remain to be known. Did KJ, who is as invested in this thing as any mayor could ever be, have to make consessions to the league and Maloofs to make up some of that ground? Will the city council approve, if so? Like I said, we'll know a lot more come March 6. Not now.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
And regardless of what happens there, as long as we get our arena plan approved by the city council... teams will come.

Doesn't matter what happens elsewhere, as long as Seattle gets their arena in place, there will be plenty of other NBA and NHL teams looking to move, looking for a new arena to play in. I'm not worried about that.

Build it and they will come. Maybe not the Kings, maybe not the Coyotes, but some other teams in the future.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":r1g4vpow said:
And regardless of what happens there, as long as we get our arena plan approved by the city council... teams will come.

Doesn't matter what happens elsewhere, as long as Seattle gets their arena in place, there will be plenty of other NBA and NHL teams looking to move, looking for a new arena to play in. I'm not worried about that.

Build it and they will come. Maybe not the Kings, maybe not the Coyotes, but some other teams in the future.

Exactly.

And on the other side of the coin, if we mess up this Hansen proposal and let the naysayers and city council let it slide by, good luck ever seeing an arena or teams in the city ever. So yeah, we need to focus on what we can control. Sure, until a team is available, nothing will happen. But without the deal in place, ready and waiting, NOTHING will ever happen.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Just makes me think there's a reason my Hansen was so reluctant to come out with this publicly. Seattle is a huge threat to many of these cities trying to keep their teams. If the city council does its part, we are a lock for a team to relocate here.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I too wanted instant gratification, but I think we're just gonna have to be more patient than I was hoping for. For some reason I get the feeling that the prospect of both teams having to play in Key Arena for a couple years may be a sticking point with both leagues. They really hate that arena for some reason.

pinksheets

Reaction score
If this deal hinged on the Kings, or the Kings were the intended centerpiece, we would have never announced like we did.

A) The risk would be huge in getting up Seattle fans' hopes in such an unlikely scenario.
B) By holding the press conference we put Sacramento's politicians on the spot. If anything, the announcement of our proposed arena helped Sacramento keep the Kings. There was a very clear destination for that team if a deal isn't/wasn't worked out, not a vague threat of leaving, but a city about to build the type of arena their team wants. 'No' was made definitely not an option by this city.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Like I initially thought, NBA here next year was a stretch, fun to imagine though wasnt it?

We need that arena though.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Chris Hansen released a statement saying that his plan is not and was not contingent on the Kings. He's thinking much bigger, grand scheme here. He didn't buy all that land just for a shot in the dark chance at one specific team. Fans obviously got excited and are impatient. But this is a much longer term deal. Everyone just relax.

If you're interested in the issue and cause in general. I can't recommend enough checking out http://www.SonicsCentral.com. It's sort of the Seahawks.Net for the Supes, and has been home to the Save Our Sonics people ever since the whole Clay Bennett thing began. Pretty cool that it's continued to run all this time. If you're ever curious as to what's going on, it's the place to check out. They're always ahead of the rest of the internet in terms of what's going on and what exactly is happening. If you read that site, everything else you read in the media looks misinformed. Great site.

The latest news centers around Bellevue entering the arena discussion. Not that I'd want it there over SODO by any means. As well as I would hate to see Hansen's plan ignored and Hansen out of the equation. But Bellevue making their interest known is a good thing. It puts pressure on Seattle to not blow this proposed deal. If Seattle goofs around and gets fussy, Bellevue could be ready to swoop in and steal all that future business. I'd take Bellevue as a site for an arena if it was impossible in SODO. But more than anything right now, they're best as a kick in the pants to Seattle to get it's crap together and not take Hansen's offer for granted.

Beast Mode

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's similar to what the Hansen guy is doing, but I hear the city of Sacramento has to give at least 200+ million to fund the new stadium. That could be a potential deal-breaker there.

hawky

Reaction score
Beast Mode":2qvogxuj said:
I'm not sure if it's similar to what the Hansen guy is doing, but I hear the city of Sacramento has to give at least 200+ million to fund the new stadium. That could be a potential deal-breaker there.

SAC is really getting screwed in the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they voted down the proposal. The NBA obviously doesn't want to be in Sacramento.

Beast Mode

Reaction score
hawky":29ms4a1k said:
Beast Mode":29ms4a1k said:

SAC is really getting screwed in the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they voted down the proposal. The NBA obviously doesn't want to be in Sacramento.

If they can't even get an NFL stadium in LA, then I doubt it'll ever happen either. It sucks that Sacramento might lose their team, but I guess this is how the NBA works now.

If it helps us get the Sonics back, then I'm all for it. I could care less about Sacramento.

hawky

Reaction score
Beast Mode":2qp5gt66 said:
hawky":2qp5gt66 said:
Beast Mode":2qp5gt66 said:

If they can't even get an NFL stadium in LA, then I doubt it'll ever happen either. It sucks that Sacramento might lose their team, but I guess this is how the NBA works now.

If it helps us get the Sonics back, then I'm all for it. I could care less about Sacramento.

LA is the worst sports town anyways.

soohawk

Reaction score
with the arena vote in sacramento going through last night (i think they just need to square the parking lot one now...not overly sure) and the quebecois government putting aside money to refurbish the colisee pepsi for next season (quebec city's nhl arena) the time is now to act for that new seattle stadium. i know it takes time to put this shit together but it seriously needs to be figured out by april/may when the coyotes are done playing (hopefully one and done in the playoffs) to see where they are going to be playing next year. some dude is rumored to want to buy them and keep them locally but ill believe that when i see it. with the quebec arena getting fixed up and a new one being built, if they snake that nhl team that puts you guys behind the 8 ball even worse than with the sacramento kings situation IMO because they are pretty much the only team relocating anytime soon in the league (at least basketball has a few options)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... rbishment/

Throwdown

Reaction score
Question, Do the Milwaukee Bucks have any fans? I saw the highlights of Brandon Jennings going off on the sixers and there was literally like 6 fans in the crowd. Can we have them?

soohawk

Reaction score
im going to watch him play on sunday buddy, after i ask him to demand a trade to play with his boy demar ill see what the story is on the bucks and their fans...and yes you can have them, all the locals seem to care about are the packers and defending ryan braun's honor!

slybry75

Reaction score
New Orleans is the team I would want. With 2 lottery picks next year we could have out next Payton and Kemp right away and hopefully help us forget Durant.

Throwdown

Reaction score
as long they didn't keep Eric Gordon, I'd be happy. I don't like undersized SG's, kind of a pet peeve of mine.

soohawk

Reaction score
slybry75":19kfuxs5 said:
New Orleans is the team I would want. With 2 lottery picks next year we could have out next Payton and Kemp right away and hopefully help us forget Durant.

David Stern would have to die before he lets the Hornets leave N.O

Seriously, the guy has put his foot down at every possible outcome that has someone buying the team and moving it.

Too bad Adam Silver is a snake as well because he has been groomed for the last 10 years to become the new dictator of the NBA.