Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Throwdown

Reaction score
It does comply with that stupid 2006 measure. But the public will put in some money but it goes back through rent and ticket sales taxes. So I don't see where this article gets that it doesn't comply? They wouldn't hold a press conference if it didn't.

C'mon Sacramento, quit hating and worry about yourselves, we are waiting in the bushes with our sights set on the Kings. Stop worrying about us and handle the business you've been struggling to handle well before even the Sonics left town.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well with the proposition presented to the City and announced on the radio and TV the poker game begins in earnest. This will be like coaches stating what they are going to do for the draft. Lots of rumors, innuendos, misinformation and misdirection being played out so the actual participants can avoid the wrath and questions of fan bases and disruption of the actual deals. Besides after all we went thru here in Seattle with the Sonics do you really believe anything said by any participants involved in these things till all the cards are dealt and the players have been called to show their hands.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://www.q13fox.com/sports/kcpq-if-se ... 7543.story

This has some good info on the Sonic's history, naming/logo rights, and who owns what.

In a 2008 settlement agreement, former Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels and city council president Richard Conlin signed an agreement with Bennett that split up the teams’ assets and naming rights.

What Seattle ended up with were the Sonics trophies and championship banners, which are now housed at the Museum of History and Industry. What Bennett got – and what Seattle wants – is the name, logo and team colors.

For those that see the glass as being half full, Bennett said he would turn over the team name, logo and colors to a new owner, free of charge, as long as the NBA approves it.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Cause the NBA is run by assholes... that's why it wouldn't go through.

But this proposal is everything that the NBA could ask.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
If the NBA had any integrity Clay Bennett would be removed from the head of the relocation committee. Why should anyone trust that [insert insult of choice here] not to screw us over?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":1c6qy9gn said:
If the NBA had any integrity Clay Bennett would be removed from the head of the relocation committee. Why should anyone trust that [insert insult of choice here] not to screw us over?
Hahahaha... it should be obvious that the NBA has no integrity. How many teams have they allowed to move in the decade?

One of their most famous teams is originally from Minnesota, and since when did Utah become synonymous with musical Jazz?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
sammyc521":2u6iom1p said:
Fuzzman55":2u6iom1p said:
Hahahaha... it should be obvious that the NBA has no integrity. How many teams have they allowed to move in the decade?

One of their most famous teams is originally from Minnesota, and since when did Utah become synonymous with musical Jazz?

Pshaw! There are many lakes surrounding the greater Los Angeles area. Why the name "Los Angeles" means "Lake of the Angels" in Esperanto. And Salt Lake City is the Jazz capital of all lands within a 200 mile radius. Don' know what'chu talkin' about!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
On Thursday, billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers and the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL, wrote basketball commissioner David Stern a love note when he released a statement essentially saying he would support an NBA team in Seattle provided the economics of a new building for the team made sense.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... love-note/

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
New links on the Arena deal:

Video of the Man himself, Chris Hansen. People have compared him to Mark Cuban. He is NO Mark Cuban. He looks uncomfortable being on camera, just as I've heard. He prefers to be a "behind the scenes" kinda guy. Kinda like I'd be if I were fabulously wealthy.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/flatpa ... 5135829001

New Seattle times links:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na19m.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na18m.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/r ... udd19.html

Sacramento Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/19/427482 ... entos.html

kobebryant

Reaction score
Even if the Phoenix Coyotes get new ownership that keeps them in Phoenix there are still a lot of options. The Dallas Stars could be intriguing. They're failing in Dallas, and the new owner, Tom Gaglardi, is a Vancouver guy that felt cheated when he didn't get ownership of the Canucks. I bet he would love to get his team in Seattle and go toe-to-toe with Vancouver. Plus, Dallas comes with a young superstar from the northwest -Jamie Benn- on the roster.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Seattle City Council Member Sally Bagshaw, who said some incredibly ignorant comments on KJR last week just tweeted this:

If we got a new #Seattlearena, would u be a season ticket holder? If so, would it be plus existing tickets, or would u drop a sport? Thx!

https://twitter.com/#!/sallybagshaw/sta ... 8681108480

If you support and want a new arena, let her know you do! She's under the impression that sports fans pick a sport and "drop" others. If you don't have Twitter, call her at 206-684-8801.

In fact, if the arena or Sonics are important to you, call or email all of the city council members. There's been A LOT of misleading opinions from the anti-sports people and vague reporting going on that's leading the average citizen to think that the arena is being paid by taxpayer money. Call the council, let them hear your voice. Here's the info:

http://www.seattle.gov/council/councilcontact.htm

TestMo1337

Reaction score
@sallybagshaw @Sonicsgate #seattlearena 10-,12-,16-game package no question to #Sonics basketball; I'm a 8-year #seahawks ticket holder.
My tweet to Sally.

I will say that she brings up valid points that non-sports people should bring up in the conversation. Now, she did come off incredibly ignorant on 710 when she basically said that the proposal, even in its current form, does not offer real guarantees. She brought up the fact that the Sonics were locked into an unbreakable lease before breaking it.

Now, her assumptions are totally wrong. I firmly believe that teams make more money off TV rights than ticket sales, so it's a non-factor in my opinion. That doesn't mean that people will drop sport A for sport B. Usually it's a reallocation of funds instead of just dropping a sport all together.

What I like is that this will become a hot political topic which will force lots of people to join it or draw a line in the sand.

Throwdown

Reaction score
whats bugging me is this lady is asking people like they're kids or something and shes our parent. Like its a dog and her questions are like "Will you pick up its poop if it does??", "will you walk it everyday?", kind of degrading IMO. Hey lady, just do your job and bring some more money to the region you chump.

No I don't have enough money for season tickets, but if I did? you bet your sweet ass i'd be at 41 home games a season along with playoff games. But right now? making the BS money I make now, I can go to 4-5 games a year like I did in 07, and 08 before the city of Seattle ruined it.

This lady is really bugging me, wasn't she the piece of work worried about traffic too and events over lapping like the mariners would ever be good enough to make the WS?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Yeah, throwdown. Same lady.

She's under the impression that adding sports teams is going to categorically hurt the other teams. That there is a finite amount of sports dollars. That's bs. Everyone knows that it's about the product on the field that determines fan support. The Mariners attendance has been dropping with only one other pro sports team in town (sorry Smurf, I don't count Minor League Soccer).

You win, they go. Not to mention not all sports fans like all sports! There are a lot of people out there that like basketball or hockey, who would be going to those games that do not currently go to a ton of M's, Hawks, or Sounders games.

There is a real market for hockey and basketball in this area. Basketball has 41 years of proof. The Supes were the most consistently supported Seattle sports team up until the last couple years where Carpetbagger Clay ran them into the ground. And there is a considerable hockey base with a couple junior league teams that draw quite well. Not to mention proximity to Canada. Canadian hockey fans are obsessed enough that they will travel 2-3 hours to see a game.

Does having more professional sports teams put more pressure on them to put a good product on the field? Most definitely. And I think that's a good thing. You put out a product like the Mariners have for the past decade, you deserve to have your attendance drop.

Msfann

Reaction score
SeaTown81":36mct6fa said:
You put out a product like the Mariners have for the past decade, you deserve to have your attendance drop.

AMEN to that, the M's need something to compete with so they will actually give a crap and start to try to win. I do like what Jack Z is trying to do but you can still see they are the same old Mariners in the way the team operates a lot of the time, I'm afraid they will get a little better and that's it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Looks like the Kings are most likely staying in Cali

http://www.king5.com/sports/Kings-signi ... 99263.html

Sacramento's last shot to remain an NBA city appears headed for another overtime, at the same time dealing a major blow to Seattle's hopes of once again hosting an NBA franchise.

In a joint statement released Wednesday, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson and NBA Commissioner David Stern said they have agreed to a "work plan" in hopes of reaching a deal to finance a new arena by the March 1 deadline. Johnson, Stern and the Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, will meet during this weekend's All-Star festivities in Orlando, Fla.

If a plan can been hammered out in time, a term sheet will be announced March 1 and the Sacramento City Council will vote on the plan at its March 6 meeting.

Latest posts