Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3jy5dqe3 said:
pinksheets":3jy5dqe3 said:
Emily Heffter @EmilyHeffter
Arena construction would not start until both an NBA and NHL team are acquired. It includes no new taxes.

Is that accurate? That seems like a tall order to coordinate with two separate sports leagues when it's already tough enough to get a team, but to time it accordingly so this gets done seems tougher.

I keep hearing it's at least one.... who ever commits first (an NBA team or and NHL team), then construction begins. That does seem crazy difficult to try and coordinate acquiring both at the same time to pull off the arena plan.
Reports say that we need both NHL and NBA for them to break ground.

[youtube]XXAekzDiC98[/youtube]

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":3l5er5b4 said:
5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden

If you wanna talk smack at a blazer fan only 2 words are necessary: Raymond Felton.

Geeesh, our starting point guard had more turnovers then points, rebounds and assists combined tonight. 0-7 shooting, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 5 turnovers. He might be the worst player in the NBA this season and Nate refuses to bench him.

pinksheets

Reaction score
So from what I understand from listening to a few sports talk radio shows with hosts I can't name, I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

The consensus seems to be that there's probably a decent amount worked out behind the scenes with the NBA and NHL for things to have gotten to this point, as there's little chance they'd make a big spectacle like they did yesterday if things weren't looking very, very likely.

Also, about having to secure two teams, it sounds like it's not as tough as I thought. We might not specifically get told 'the Coyotes are coming your way', but we could get an agreement that 'a team' will come to Seattle within a certain time frame and that should suffice.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Another aspect of this that is noteworthy... All the talk you hear from both league's (NBA, NHL) leadership and different city officials all saying "this team is not leaving (insert city name here)", don't believe them. What else are they going to say? They can't say "Yeah, they're outta here". It's all BS. All that would do is incite hysteria from the fans in whatever city they said that about. They have to stay mum and tippy-toe around the issue, even if they know damn well they're going to relocate. So, when Stern says New Orleans is off the table, don't think for a second that it's true. He has to save face eventually and blame it on someone else.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
How else can you expect the NBA to leverage the city of Sacramento if they say that the Hornets are available.

You can tell that Stern is lying when his lips move.

ShyCheetah

Reaction score
Last year there was speculation that the Atlanta Thrashers were moving to Winnepeg. All throughout the last quarter of the season and thru the playoffs everyone involved denied it. Then as soon as the Cup was awarded the news came pouring out that the Jets were back and that it was a done deal for like the longest time. (I assume when the speculation started). This time last year it was rumoured that the league had prepared two schedules for 2011/12, one with Atlanta one with Winnipeg. This year there is no such rumours so I'd assume that it's either a done deal or a complete no go. I'd guess that it's a done deal.

Shy

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
"However, TSN notes that the NHL might not be interested in leaving Atlanta just yet. "We've been working with local ownership for quite a long time now, in terms of trying to find a new local ownership in that market," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN. "Luckily, that has gone largely under the radar screen, but the fact of the matter is that it has been transpiring. We believe what we say, which is that we're committed to the markets in which we put our franchises. We should make all reasonable efforts to keep franchises there."

Sound familiar?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post ... nhl-353508

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Yoonhawk":2gji4k3x said:
"However, TSN notes that the NHL might not be interested in leaving Atlanta just yet. "We've been working with local ownership for quite a long time now, in terms of trying to find a new local ownership in that market," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN. "Luckily, that has gone largely under the radar screen, but the fact of the matter is that it has been transpiring. We believe what we say, which is that we're committed to the markets in which we put our franchises. We should make all reasonable efforts to keep franchises there."

Sound familiar?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post ... nhl-353508

Exactly what I was referring to. Total BS. They want the fans in these doomed cities to keep attending the games and spending their dollars while feeling reassured by statements like this that the league and government is "on their side". Pshaw! We've been there, done that, and know better.

I believe that as far as this proposal has gone, the insiders on this deal already know what's going to transpire in the next couple years. We're just not privvy to it, and won't be until it actually happens. JMHO.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Breaking news on the phoenix coyotes front. Paul Silvi just reported on King5 news that a guy name Greg Jamison has just been approved by the NHL to purchase the franchise. It is unclear if he intends to keep the team in Phoenix. I got the feeling that that's exactly what he intends to do. No panic though. After quite a bit of research, I've discovered that there are at least 5 NHL teams that could be had. Do your Google research, 'cause there ain't much as of this posting.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I am not so convinced this city will support 4 professional teams.

We will see but I my reservations.

My Tapatalk was first.

Msfann

Reaction score
Seattle has never had a problem supporting its teams, i don't see why that would change now. they welcomed the sounders with open arms and that looked great to any sport looking to move this way. I'm no hockey fan but if we got a team i would be all over that and would watch/go to games all the time.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Msfann":9bifxubr said:
Seattle has never had a problem supporting its teams, i don't see why that would change now. they welcomed the sounders with open arms and that looked great to any sport looking to move this way. I'm no hockey fan but if we got a team i would be all over that and would watch/go to games all the time.

We support our teams when they win. No doubt. But nobody in the country is going to confuse us with a great sports town.

I am all over having more teams. I know that I don't have the coin to attend more then a handful of hockey or basketball games. Not with my current commitment to the Seahawks.

My Tapatalk was first.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3hyo7fpw said:
Msfann":3hyo7fpw said:

We support our teams when they win. No doubt. But nobody in the country is going to confuse us with a great sports town.

I am all over having more teams. I know that I don't have the coin to attend more then a handful of hockey or basketball games. Not with my current commitment to the Seahawks.

My Tapatalk was first.
But teams make more money off people watching at home due to commercials and the revenue that generates, where was the most money they can get off of you is the high price of concessions.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Approval%20map.jpg

What did we do to Maine and Rhode Island?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2iwzuvqq said:
Breaking news on the phoenix coyotes front. Paul Silvi just reported on King5 news that a guy name Greg Jamison has just been approved by the NHL to purchase the franchise. It is unclear if he intends to keep the team in Phoenix. I got the feeling that that's exactly what he intends to do. No panic though. After quite a bit of research, I've discovered that there are at least 5 NHL teams that could be had. Do your Google research, 'cause there ain't much as of this posting.

Thats not good news for us.......Yes there are other franchises that our in hot water, but not nearly warm enough for them to fear relocation in the near future.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2znrgxem said:
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I am not so convinced this city will support 4 professional teams.

We will see but I my reservations.

It will definatly be interesting to see what happens to the Mariners and the Seahawks attendance if both the NBA and NHL do end up in Seattle. The Sounders should do pretty well since that's still basically a niche sport in our country (no offense Smurf). I'm guessing the two new teams will do really well for the first couple years whether they're winning or not due to being the new, hot thing in town. I can definatly imagine both the Seahawks and especially Mariners attendance numbers plummeting if they don't become winners.

I think tech brings up a pretty valid point here. I know most income comes from advertising, corporate suites and such, but still owners don't want to see empty seats, and if the region is oversaturated with sporting options I think thats a very real possibility. Plus there's only so much sporting advertising to go around.

I'm sure us old time Seahawk fans can remember half empty kingdomes with half the people that were in attendance wearing Raider gear.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I think we are sports fans with differing degrees of fanaticism to each different sport.

For myself I would go:

#1 Seahawks (Fall/Winter)
#2 Sonics (Winter/Spring
#3 UW Football (Fall/Winter)
#4 Mariners (Spring/Summer)
#5 UW Basketball (Winter Spring)
#6 Sounders (I have no clue)
#7 Local NHL Team (I have no clue)

I mean seriously, MLS and NHL has like 1 week off between season. I'm pretty sure.

While it's a valid point that every fan only has so many dollars to spend, that doesn't mean that they would stop following the team on TV. More money is generated through TV rights than ticket sales. I don't think it would be an issue at all.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well reading up on the Coyotes potentially staying in Phoenix because of a local buyer, my confidence in the arena deal and getting two teams to start the arena build is well less than it was yesterday. Man I really want a NBA and NHL team, but besides a really good plan in place we have a lot of cards stacked against us.

Smurf

Reaction score
sammyc521":3jno8arv said:
I think we are sports fans with differing degrees of fanaticism to each different sport.

For myself I would go:

#1 Seahawks (Fall/Winter)
#2 Sonics (Winter/Spring
#3 UW Football (Fall/Winter)
#4 Mariners (Spring/Summer)
#5 UW Basketball (Winter Spring)
#6 Sounders (I have no clue)
#7 Local NHL Team (I have no clue)

I mean seriously, MLS and NHL has like 1 week off between season. I'm pretty sure.

While it's a valid point that every fan only has so many dollars to spend, that doesn't mean that they would stop following the team on TV. More money is generated through TV rights than ticket sales. I don't think it would be an issue at all.

actually its 3 brutally long months.