Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Lets get this thing going!!!!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I'm sure David Stern will find some way to screw this up for Seattle.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Paul Allen on the subject:

"It was a sad day when the Sonics left Seattle, a move I opposed. It’s exciting to think about the NBA coming back to Seattle and renewing the rivalry with the Portland Trail Blazers. However, it is too early for me to comment any further without a specific plan or proposal to review."

Personally as a Portlander, and Oregonian, i'm hoping the NBA happens in Seattle (couldnt care less about the NHL). Its getting old having the Ducks, and to a lesser extent the Beavs, whoop up on the Huskies and Cougs all the time. We need another Seattle sport team we can whoop up on. :D
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Paul Allen on the subject:

"It was a sad day when the Sonics left Seattle, a move I opposed. It’s exciting to think about the NBA coming back to Seattle and renewing the rivalry with the Portland Trail Blazers. However, it is too early for me to comment any further without a specific plan or proposal to review."

Personally as a Portlander, and Oregonian, i'm hoping the NBA happens in Seattle (couldnt care less about the NHL). Its getting old having the Ducks, and to a lesser extent the Beavs, whoop up on the Huskies and Cougs all the time. We need another Seattle sport team we can whoop up on. :D

Don't forget the Sounders...and how we keep kicking your ass...
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• McGinn is on 710 AM ESPN right now.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Smurf wrote:500M private funding, 200M from the public, which would be payed back in a self funded way. No new taxes. Thats the huge part IMO.

Yea, that's big! All eventually privately funded, because the 200M from the public would be paid back in rent monies. This is as close to perfect as anyone could ever hope for with a stadium deal.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Smurf wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Paul Allen on the subject:

Don't forget the Sounders...and how we keep kicking your ass...

My bad, I thought we were talking about real, grown up sports. :D

In seriousness though, and not to derail this thread, but I tried getting into the MLS and the Timbers last year because i really enjoy international soccer, it lasted for about a month or two and then I grew bored with it.

Different strokes for different folks i guess.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• On Thursday, the City of Seattle officially introduced the proposal it received for a new arena that would house both an NBA and NHL franchise.

Link for more info:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/2/16/2 ... ises-first

Not sure if someone has posted that already but its still exciting!!!
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• Seattle Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuupersonics!!!!!!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Emily Heffter @EmilyHeffter
    Arena construction would not start until both an NBA and NHL team are acquired. It includes no new taxes.

Is that accurate? That seems like a tall order to coordinate with two separate sports leagues when it's already tough enough to get a team, but to time it accordingly so this gets done seems tougher.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• it seems to me like they're just going to build it no matter what happens in Sactown. Even if the NHL comes first.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• pinksheets wrote:Emily Heffter @EmilyHeffter
    Arena construction would not start until both an NBA and NHL team are acquired. It includes no new taxes.

Is that accurate? That seems like a tall order to coordinate with two separate sports leagues when it's already tough enough to get a team, but to time it accordingly so this gets done seems tougher.

I keep hearing it's at least one.... who ever commits first (an NBA team or and NHL team), then construction begins. That does seem crazy difficult to try and coordinate acquiring both at the same time to pull off the arena plan.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Paul Allen on the subject:

You will get yours.... And when you do I won't let you forget it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Paul Allen on the subject:

You will get yours.... And when you do I won't let you forget it.

I wouldnt want, or expect it, any other way. Thats what makes rivalries fun. Hopefully they find a way to get the new Sonics into the Northwest division.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• 5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden

:D

Might as well throw Brandon Roy in the mix too. But I wont play this game til its signed, sealed and delivered that you have a new team.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden

:D

Might as well throw Brandon Roy in the mix too. But I wont play this game til its signed, sealed and delivered that you have a new team.

lol I miss trash talking with Blazer fans, i can't help myself sometimes.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Just curious, do the Huskies have a pretty nice on campus basketball arena or will they likely use the new arena as well?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Just curious, do the Huskies have a pretty nice on campus basketball arena or will they likely use the new arena as well?

Hec Ed just got renovated and is pretty nice (for a college arena).
    hawky
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Emily Heffter @EmilyHeffter

I keep hearing it's at least one.... who ever commits first (an NBA team or and NHL team), then construction begins. That does seem crazy difficult to try and coordinate acquiring both at the same time to pull off the arena plan.

Reports say that we need both NHL and NBA for them to break ground.

Last edited by sammyc521 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Too small.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Re: New NBA/NHL/ARENA in Seattle thread...
Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:11 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden

If you wanna talk smack at a blazer fan only 2 words are necessary: Raymond Felton.

Geeesh, our starting point guard had more turnovers then points, rebounds and assists combined tonight. 0-7 shooting, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 5 turnovers. He might be the worst player in the NBA this season and Nate refuses to bench him.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• So from what I understand from listening to a few sports talk radio shows with hosts I can't name, I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

The consensus seems to be that there's probably a decent amount worked out behind the scenes with the NBA and NHL for things to have gotten to this point, as there's little chance they'd make a big spectacle like they did yesterday if things weren't looking very, very likely.

Also, about having to secure two teams, it sounds like it's not as tough as I thought. We might not specifically get told 'the Coyotes are coming your way', but we could get an agreement that 'a team' will come to Seattle within a certain time frame and that should suffice.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Another aspect of this that is noteworthy... All the talk you hear from both league's (NBA, NHL) leadership and different city officials all saying "this team is not leaving (insert city name here)", don't believe them. What else are they going to say? They can't say "Yeah, they're outta here". It's all BS. All that would do is incite hysteria from the fans in whatever city they said that about. They have to stay mum and tippy-toe around the issue, even if they know damn well they're going to relocate. So, when Stern says New Orleans is off the table, don't think for a second that it's true. He has to save face eventually and blame it on someone else.

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• How else can you expect the NBA to leverage the city of Sacramento if they say that the Hornets are available.

You can tell that Stern is lying when his lips move.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Last year there was speculation that the Atlanta Thrashers were moving to Winnepeg. All throughout the last quarter of the season and thru the playoffs everyone involved denied it. Then as soon as the Cup was awarded the news came pouring out that the Jets were back and that it was a done deal for like the longest time. (I assume when the speculation started). This time last year it was rumoured that the league had prepared two schedules for 2011/12, one with Atlanta one with Winnipeg. This year there is no such rumours so I'd assume that it's either a done deal or a complete no go. I'd guess that it's a done deal.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• "However, TSN notes that the NHL might not be interested in leaving Atlanta just yet. "We've been working with local ownership for quite a long time now, in terms of trying to find a new local ownership in that market," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN. "Luckily, that has gone largely under the radar screen, but the fact of the matter is that it has been transpiring. We believe what we say, which is that we're committed to the markets in which we put our franchises. We should make all reasonable efforts to keep franchises there."

Sound familiar?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post ... nhl-353508
    Yoonhawk
    * NET Attorney *

• Yoonhawk wrote:"However, TSN notes that the NHL might not be interested in leaving Atlanta just yet. "We've been working with local ownership for quite a long time now, in terms of trying to find a new local ownership in that market," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN. "Luckily, that has gone largely under the radar screen, but the fact of the matter is that it has been transpiring. We believe what we say, which is that we're committed to the markets in which we put our franchises. We should make all reasonable efforts to keep franchises there."

Sound familiar?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post ... nhl-353508

Exactly what I was referring to. Total BS. They want the fans in these doomed cities to keep attending the games and spending their dollars while feeling reassured by statements like this that the league and government is "on their side". Pshaw! We've been there, done that, and know better.

I believe that as far as this proposal has gone, the insiders on this deal already know what's going to transpire in the next couple years. We're just not privvy to it, and won't be until it actually happens. JMHO.

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Breaking news on the phoenix coyotes front. Paul Silvi just reported on King5 news that a guy name Greg Jamison has just been approved by the NHL to purchase the franchise. It is unclear if he intends to keep the team in Phoenix. I got the feeling that that's exactly what he intends to do. No panic though. After quite a bit of research, I've discovered that there are at least 5 NHL teams that could be had. Do your Google research, 'cause there ain't much as of this posting.

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I am not so convinced this city will support 4 professional teams.

We will see but I my reservations.

My Tapatalk was first.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Seattle has never had a problem supporting its teams, i don't see why that would change now. they welcomed the sounders with open arms and that looked great to any sport looking to move this way. I'm no hockey fan but if we got a team i would be all over that and would watch/go to games all the time.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Msfann wrote:Seattle has never had a problem supporting its teams, i don't see why that would change now. they welcomed the sounders with open arms and that looked great to any sport looking to move this way. I'm no hockey fan but if we got a team i would be all over that and would watch/go to games all the time.

We support our teams when they win. No doubt. But nobody in the country is going to confuse us with a great sports town.

I am all over having more teams. I know that I don't have the coin to attend more then a handful of hockey or basketball games. Not with my current commitment to the Seahawks.

My Tapatalk was first.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    Msfann wrote:Seattle has never had a problem supporting its teams, i don't see why that would change now. they welcomed the sounders with open arms and that looked great to any sport looking to move this way. I'm no hockey fan but if we got a team i would be all over that and would watch/go to games all the time.

We support our teams when they win. No doubt. But nobody in the country is going to confuse us with a great sports town.

I am all over having more teams. I know that I don't have the coin to attend more then a handful of hockey or basketball games. Not with my current commitment to the Seahawks.

My Tapatalk was first.

But teams make more money off people watching at home due to commercials and the revenue that generates, where was the most money they can get off of you is the high price of concessions.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

What did we do to Maine and Rhode Island?

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• BlueThunder wrote:Breaking news on the phoenix coyotes front. Paul Silvi just reported on King5 news that a guy name Greg Jamison has just been approved by the NHL to purchase the franchise. It is unclear if he intends to keep the team in Phoenix. I got the feeling that that's exactly what he intends to do. No panic though. After quite a bit of research, I've discovered that there are at least 5 NHL teams that could be had. Do your Google research, 'cause there ain't much as of this posting.

Thats not good news for us.......Yes there are other franchises that our in hot water, but not nearly warm enough for them to fear relocation in the near future.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I am not so convinced this city will support 4 professional teams.

We will see but I my reservations.

It will definatly be interesting to see what happens to the Mariners and the Seahawks attendance if both the NBA and NHL do end up in Seattle. The Sounders should do pretty well since that's still basically a niche sport in our country (no offense Smurf). I'm guessing the two new teams will do really well for the first couple years whether they're winning or not due to being the new, hot thing in town. I can definatly imagine both the Seahawks and especially Mariners attendance numbers plummeting if they don't become winners.

I think tech brings up a pretty valid point here. I know most income comes from advertising, corporate suites and such, but still owners don't want to see empty seats, and if the region is oversaturated with sporting options I think thats a very real possibility. Plus there's only so much sporting advertising to go around.

I'm sure us old time Seahawk fans can remember half empty kingdomes with half the people that were in attendance wearing Raider gear.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:15 pm
  • I think we are sports fans with differing degrees of fanaticism to each different sport.

For myself I would go:

#1 Seahawks (Fall/Winter)
    #2 Sonics (Winter/Spring
    #3 UW Football (Fall/Winter)
    #4 Mariners (Spring/Summer)
    #5 UW Basketball (Winter Spring)
    #6 Sounders (I have no clue)
    #7 Local NHL Team (I have no clue)

I mean seriously, MLS and NHL has like 1 week off between season. I'm pretty sure.

While it's a valid point that every fan only has so many dollars to spend, that doesn't mean that they would stop following the team on TV. More money is generated through TV rights than ticket sales. I don't think it would be an issue at all.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 pm
  • Well reading up on the Coyotes potentially staying in Phoenix because of a local buyer, my confidence in the arena deal and getting two teams to start the arena build is well less than it was yesterday. Man I really want a NBA and NHL team, but besides a really good plan in place we have a lot of cards stacked against us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• sammyc521 wrote:I think we are sports fans with differing degrees of fanaticism to each different sport.

For myself I would go:

#1 Seahawks (Fall/Winter)
    #2 Sonics (Winter/Spring
    #3 UW Football (Fall/Winter)
    #4 Mariners (Spring/Summer)
    #5 UW Basketball (Winter Spring)
    #6 Sounders (I have no clue)
    #7 Local NHL Team (I have no clue)

I mean seriously, MLS and NHL has like 1 week off between season. I'm pretty sure.

While it's a valid point that every fan only has so many dollars to spend, that doesn't mean that they would stop following the team on TV. More money is generated through TV rights than ticket sales. I don't think it would be an issue at all.

actually its 3 brutally long months.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:05 am

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:50 am
  • It does comply with that stupid 2006 measure. But the public will put in some money but it goes back through rent and ticket sales taxes. So I don't see where this article gets that it doesn't comply? They wouldn't hold a press conference if it didn't.

C'mon Sacramento, quit hating and worry about yourselves, we are waiting in the bushes with our sights set on the Kings. Stop worrying about us and handle the business you've been struggling to handle well before even the Sonics left town.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Well with the proposition presented to the City and announced on the radio and TV the poker game begins in earnest. This will be like coaches stating what they are going to do for the draft. Lots of rumors, innuendos, misinformation and misdirection being played out so the actual participants can avoid the wrath and questions of fan bases and disruption of the actual deals. Besides after all we went thru here in Seattle with the Sonics do you really believe anything said by any participants involved in these things till all the cards are dealt and the players have been called to show their hands.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• http://www.q13fox.com/sports/kcpq-if-se ... 7543.story

This has some good info on the Sonic's history, naming/logo rights, and who owns what.

In a 2008 settlement agreement, former Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels and city council president Richard Conlin signed an agreement with Bennett that split up the teams’ assets and naming rights.

What Seattle ended up with were the Sonics trophies and championship banners, which are now housed at the Museum of History and Industry. What Bennett got – and what Seattle wants – is the name, logo and team colors.

For those that see the glass as being half full, Bennett said he would turn over the team name, logo and colors to a new owner, free of charge, as long as the NBA approves it.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I don't see why the NBA wouldn't approve it.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Cause the NBA is run by assholes... that's why it wouldn't go through.

But this proposal is everything that the NBA could ask.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• If the NBA had any integrity Clay Bennett would be removed from the head of the relocation committee. Why should anyone trust that [insert insult of choice here] not to screw us over?
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• Fuzzman55 wrote:If the NBA had any integrity Clay Bennett would be removed from the head of the relocation committee. Why should anyone trust that [insert insult of choice here] not to screw us over?

Hahahaha... it should be obvious that the NBA has no integrity. How many teams have they allowed to move in the decade?

One of their most famous teams is originally from Minnesota, and since when did Utah become synonymous with musical Jazz?

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:
    Fuzzman55 wrote:If the NBA had any integrity Clay Bennett would be removed from the head of the relocation committee. Why should anyone trust that [insert insult of choice here] not to screw us over?

Hahahaha... it should be obvious that the NBA has no integrity. How many teams have they allowed to move in the decade?

One of their most famous teams is originally from Minnesota, and since when did Utah become synonymous with musical Jazz?

Pshaw! There are many lakes surrounding the greater Los Angeles area. Why the name "Los Angeles" means "Lake of the Angels" in Esperanto. And Salt Lake City is the Jazz capital of all lands within a 200 mile radius. Don' know what'chu talkin' about!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information