Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Paul Allen on the subject:

"It was a sad day when the Sonics left Seattle, a move I opposed. It’s exciting to think about the NBA coming back to Seattle and renewing the rivalry with the Portland Trail Blazers. However, it is too early for me to comment any further without a specific plan or proposal to review."

Personally as a Portlander, and Oregonian, i'm hoping the NBA happens in Seattle (couldnt care less about the NHL). Its getting old having the Ducks, and to a lesser extent the Beavs, whoop up on the Huskies and Cougs all the time. We need another Seattle sport team we can whoop up on. :D

Smurf

Reaction score
JSeahawks":18z44hfj said:

"It was a sad day when the Sonics left Seattle, a move I opposed. It’s exciting to think about the NBA coming back to Seattle and renewing the rivalry with the Portland Trail Blazers. However, it is too early for me to comment any further without a specific plan or proposal to review."

Personally as a Portlander, and Oregonian, i'm hoping the NBA happens in Seattle (couldnt care less about the NHL). Its getting old having the Ducks, and to a lesser extent the Beavs, whoop up on the Huskies and Cougs all the time. We need another Seattle sport team we can whoop up on. :D

Don't forget the Sounders...and how we keep kicking your ass...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Smurf":3mgtrqwj said:
500M private funding, 200M from the public, which would be payed back in a self funded way. No new taxes. Thats the huge part IMO.

Yea, that's big! All eventually privately funded, because the 200M from the public would be paid back in rent monies. This is as close to perfect as anyone could ever hope for with a stadium deal.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Smurf":2msta9dt said:
JSeahawks":2msta9dt said:

Don't forget the Sounders...and how we keep kicking your ass...

My bad, I thought we were talking about real, grown up sports. :D

In seriousness though, and not to derail this thread, but I tried getting into the MLS and the Timbers last year because i really enjoy international soccer, it lasted for about a month or two and then I grew bored with it.

Different strokes for different folks i guess.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Ok, here are my links for today. This is now real. I seriously can't believe it. I've been optimistic, but to see this now splashed on the front page of the Seattle Times and dominating talk radio today... This is very cool! I know it's going to be the lead story on the tv news at 5 o'clock. Whoohoo! Now we just need to worry about securing the teams. That could derail this entire thing. But this proposal is a no-brainer. It's a sweet deal that even the most non-sports minded city official could be against.

Here's the video of the press conference:

http://www.seattlechannel.org/videos/vi ... ID=5191203

This link has audio of the press conference from 2:00 pm today from Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and King County executive Dow Constantine on the proposal, plus several other links to related stories.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/628965/Privat ... -new-arena

From the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na17m.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... from=stnv2

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/j ... wer16.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ley16.html

Sacremento Bee newspaper:

Be sure to read the comments below the blog post.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/city-beat/2012/ ... -team.html

pinksheets

Reaction score
Emily Heffter @EmilyHeffter
Arena construction would not start until both an NBA and NHL team are acquired. It includes no new taxes.

Is that accurate? That seems like a tall order to coordinate with two separate sports leagues when it's already tough enough to get a team, but to time it accordingly so this gets done seems tougher.

Throwdown

Reaction score
it seems to me like they're just going to build it no matter what happens in Sactown. Even if the NHL comes first.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
pinksheets":116gbdj9 said:
Emily Heffter @EmilyHeffter
Arena construction would not start until both an NBA and NHL team are acquired. It includes no new taxes.

Is that accurate? That seems like a tall order to coordinate with two separate sports leagues when it's already tough enough to get a team, but to time it accordingly so this gets done seems tougher.

I keep hearing it's at least one.... who ever commits first (an NBA team or and NHL team), then construction begins. That does seem crazy difficult to try and coordinate acquiring both at the same time to pull off the arena plan.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":s8stqkrh said:

You will get yours.... And when you do I won't let you forget it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":gpyd0rb8 said:
JSeahawks":gpyd0rb8 said:

You will get yours.... And when you do I won't let you forget it.

I wouldnt want, or expect it, any other way. Thats what makes rivalries fun. Hopefully they find a way to get the new Sonics into the Northwest division.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":3q84cfg7 said:
5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden

:D

Might as well throw Brandon Roy in the mix too. But I wont play this game til its signed, sealed and delivered that you have a new team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1vdvxji7 said:
Throwdown":1vdvxji7 said:
5 words for you blazer fans

Sam Bowie and Greg Oden

:D

Might as well throw Brandon Roy in the mix too. But I wont play this game til its signed, sealed and delivered that you have a new team.

lol I miss trash talking with Blazer fans, i can't help myself sometimes.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just curious, do the Huskies have a pretty nice on campus basketball arena or will they likely use the new arena as well?

hawky

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2g8ijhro said:
Just curious, do the Huskies have a pretty nice on campus basketball arena or will they likely use the new arena as well?

Hec Ed just got renovated and is pretty nice (for a college arena).

Latest posts