Star Wars - The Old Republic - NDA Lifted!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I don't know if I want this game... I only played during the Pre-Release Access and I think that' enough.

I didn't register my activation code so I think I'm just going to sell it online.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not doing it for me either, really.

I don't think the story is going to keep me playing, although it's certainly nice and extremely well done. But nothing else makes me want to play, and quest grinding is one of my least favorite activities.

I didn't even think about selling it, so I'll finish my month. But it doesn't feel like a living world (universe). It just feels like a multi-player RPG with mediocre combat (not by MMO standards, it's perfectly decent. But for a RPG, meh, nothing exciting). I was hoping it would keep my interest for longer, but oh well.

six sigma

Reaction score
Roll a smuggler, I'm loving the story that goes with that class. The early stage culminates with getting your ship back finally and I about did cartwheels.

I'm frankly loving this game.

Dietrich

Reaction score
I totally understand the feeling you guys are going through. It certainly doesnt feel much like an MMO. Being in a guild has helped to a degree but it still feels like a single player RPG. As far as classes go, my favorites so far have been Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I think that if Kyle and I were committed to playing this game together we could stick it out... But a can barely spare an hour to play out Madden match up that been over due for a week.

I think if you're with a good online community it could be more fun but grinding is dumb to me.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I think swtor will have an odd history when all is said and done. The project truly was one of the most ambitious games I've ever seen, and imo, they pulled it off. The game is awesome.

But, it doesn't have lasting appeal. Leveling seems easy and end game content seems lacking. I was a big early wow player back in the day and it had a very different, lasting, addictive feel that swtor lacks.

So, while the game is amazing and a blast to play, and even has good replayability, I think it will flop sooner than later due to limited lasting appeal.

I think my Tapatalk is infected...

Msfann

Reaction score
Where did you all get the game at? I've seen it on origin but $79 seems crazy. i kinda want to try it but not for that much of an investment.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JerHawk81":ho6466rj said:
So, while the game is amazing and a blast to play, and even has good replayability, I think it will flop sooner than later due to limited lasting appeal.

I think it's too early to say one way or the other. Remember how much WoW didn't have at launch? Dire Maul was patched in later, but it did come with Molten Core and Onyxia. Blackwing Lair was added 8 months after launch.

SWTOR launched with Eternity vault which, granted, only has five bosses; but there is also Kragga's Palace, which only has one boss right now; but several more are being added later this month. Having hard mode and nightmare mode available right away is cool.

The game has been out for a couple of weeks, I think it's a bit premature to be making definitive statements about long-term end game playability, personally.

Snohomie

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":35pv2kff said:
JerHawk81":35pv2kff said:

I think it's too early to say one way or the other. Remember how much WoW didn't have at launch? Dire Maul was patched in later, but it did come with Molten Core and Onyxia. Blackwing Lair was added 8 months after launch.

SWTOR launched with Eternity vault which, granted, only has five bosses; but there is also Kragga's Palace, which only has one boss right now; but several more are being added later this month. Having hard mode and nightmare mode available right away is cool.

The game has been out for a couple of weeks, I think it's a bit premature to be making definitive statements about long-term end game playability, personally.

Valid point, but a few points of my own.

1.) WoW didn't have to compete with, well... WoW. Much different market, gamers had a lot less choice and not many free MMOs, so you stuck with one. Also, was it so easy to reach endgame in WoW at release? I joined several months after release, so I'm not sure.

2.) You're both right and wrong about end-game playability. I agree, way too early. Buuuut, that's how it will be judged. RIFT, admittedly a game with very little endgame (at release, loads now), showed that you have to justify the customer's money within a couple months of release, at the latest. If those customers are reaching endgame in a week or two, you need to have a lot of endgame content by that time. From what it sounds like, Bioware is going to be racing against the clock.

Galen96

Reaction score
Roland, you didn't by chance use the exp exploits to race to 50 did you? Reason I ask is, as quickly as I am grinding, I don't see any way of getting to 50 in a week, let alone 3 days. Not since PVP zones have been filling up and space stopped giving repeated EXP.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I didn't exploit; granted, if I did, I certainly wouldn't publicly admit it. I did not, however. I leveled with three other people, and the game doesn't really penalize you for grouping; i.e., the mob XP isn't nerfed very much at all. So, you kill stuff way faster and take only a mild XP hit. You can probably level twice as fast in a group as you can solo, or close to it. Obviously we skipped cutscenes for everything except class quests starting after chapter 1. We didn't hit 50 in 3 days, though. World first wasn't even that fast. (It was right about 4 days, I think; ours were like 4-and-a-half.)

IIRC, almost every level starting at 16 and going to 50 has at least one green space combat daily, though. What levels don't?

@Snohomie: It was pretty easy to hit 60 in vanilla WoW. This was before it was popular to "race" to max level in an MMORPG, though; and the concept of "world first boss kills" was basically non-existent, so the "firsts" at that time weren't worth much. World first Ragnaros kill in Molten Core (final boss) was April 25th, 2005 by Ascent on the Medivh server.

Galen96

Reaction score
I wouldn't have cared either way... just found it amazing to do it so quickly concidering how slowly it is going for me. and I concider myself pretty adept at grinding MMO levels.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If two of the people in our party didn't ignore their alarms & phones and sleep for like 8 hours instead of the 4 we had planned on, we might have been world first 50s. After they slept in when we first went to sleep, (which was about 42-43 hours after release, we stayed up nearly two days from the 4am PST launch) we slowed down a bit because we knew world first was out of reach from their slacking, lol.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
So, since we had discussion about the amount of end game content in SWTOR, it looks like a lot of stuff is on the way. Their first content patch (1.1) is coming next Tuesday, and it's rather minor; but it does have a new flashpoint, and it does add four bosses to the Karagga's Palace operation. There's a pretty amusing trailer for the new flashpoint, presented in a horror format which I find amusing:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/rise- ... ars/725676

As for the future stuff, there is a second content update coming in March and it will bring a TON of stuff based on what James Ohlen said here: http://torwars.com/2012/01/12/rps-inter ... -included/

Here's the relevant portion:
James Ohlen":3f3ajjku said:
We then have a second update coming in March, and that’s going to be a much bigger update, another flashpoint – part two of Rise of the Rakghouls – and we’re going to have a whole new planet, with a brand new operation and warzone. We’re going to have the second part of the Legacy system, which is the real meat of it. We’re going to have guild banks, PVP ranking systems, and a lot of smaller additions and bug fixes. And we’re already working on the third update. The story’s already written out and being recorded for the fourth, fifth… and I can’t say how many updates we have, but we have a lot. Just to give you an idea of how far we’re planning ahead, we’ve already got voiceover being recorded for content you won’t see for a year or more. We’re really making sure we deliver new content. We also want to make sure that the Star Wars galaxy feels alive, so we’re working on an event system, which we’ll be giving more details about in the new future.”
Sounds pretty damn good to me. How long did it take WoW to add a new battleground? First expansion? Lol.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
So I've done alot of research into this game, and I think I'm gonna get it. It does look like being a WoW player in the past, will help.
Every gameplay video I've seen, just adds more to my interest. It does have that feel, like everyone says, of being WoW with lightsabers
and lasers, but to me that's a solid improvement over WoW lol.

P.S. and Roland if you're rolling anything but a smuggler/gunslinger I'll be very dissappointed in you. lol

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am playing with friends on the Empire side; there is no Gunslinger there. Mercenary is the closest thing, they dual-wield pistols; but not good enough. : /

I was sad that the Gunslinger advanced class was Republic only. *cries to himself*

City Of Reign

Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to roll Empire myself, but the only classes that thrilled me more than their Republic counterpart were the Bountry Hunter/Merc and Operative/Sniper, the latter of which is what I just might roll depending on what the coin I flip lands on.

heads: Gunslinger
tails: Sniper

They are mirrors of each other, but the dual wield and look of the gunslinger is more intriging I think lol

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
I've been playing an IA. I'll admit Tatooine suckkkked. Now that I'm on Alderaan it's a little better, got bored for a minute but it's getting better. Cover is grating for sure, a little buggy sometimes and just annoying in that your toolbar changes upon cover activation so you basically have to remember two toolbars.
After I hit 50 on this char(lvl33 now) I will def play a rep toon. The side quests should be totally different right? Plus I have a special toon planned for my legacy name...hehe

-SH

Latest posts