DON'T UPDATE Your XBOX - Update RRODING Units

If You Own an XBOX, What Was the Result After Applying the New Update?

• Other (Please Explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Works Fine.

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • It's Bricked (RRODed).

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It Locks Up Constantly.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

nategreat

Reaction score
SundayNiteBlackout":3gi3jd8n said:
Mine locks up constantly on Madden 10 now :(

When and how often does it freeze up? Does it ever resume, or are you allowed to exit to the dashboard at all? Just curious... that's too bad though, hopefully it's just coincidental and it'll start working soon for ya.

OP
OP
FPD

FPD

Reaction score
Ahhhh - I just got mine swapped out at Costco and it's the new 12.5 amp 65nm Jasper chip! And to boot, I also bought a Sony KDL-40XBR9 40" LCD HDTV at Best Buy. And OMFG what a picture via HDMI! I'm soooooo giddy!

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
HawkRedhooker":21upo0w4 said:
FPD":21upo0w4 said:
Well, it looks like the update worked fine for everyone here that has applied it (as I'm the only one that said anything about it having issues). Fortunately, I have an exchange warranty. Unfortunately, I have a crap ton of DLC (XBLA games and Rockband/Guitar Hero songs, among other things) to re-download!

Can you swap HDDs on the exchange warranty? That's where the downloads and game statistics are.

BTW, my update went fine ... mine is only a 360 from the original release.

Yeah, when you send the xbox back, take out the hardrive first! The'll send you back one with a new HD! Ask me how I know ;-)

-SH

Riley12

Reaction score
Well, my 4th 360 finally succumbed to the Red Ring of Death. This one lasted almost a year, though, so I guess
that is saying something.

You definitely have to take all of your accessories off of your old one before sending it in. Most likely, you'll get
a refurbished model. When all of this RROD stuff started, it was a major pain to have it fixed and get
your downloaded content back. Now, MS updates your console id so that when you plug in your old HDD, your
content is already fully usable. The RROD is a major pain, but at least they keep extending the warranty
for that repair and are generally making it as painless as possible.

Smurf

Reaction score
Riley12":862ne5d8 said:
Well, my 4th 360 finally succumbed to the Red Ring of Death. This one lasted almost a year, though, so I guess
that is saying something.

You definitely have to take all of your accessories off of your old one before sending it in. Most likely, you'll get
a refurbished model. When all of this RROD stuff started, it was a major pain to have it fixed and get
your downloaded content back. Now, MS updates your console id so that when you plug in your old HDD, your
content is already fully usable. The RROD is a major pain, but at least they keep extending the warranty
for that repair and are generally making it as painless as possible.

Where do you keep your xbox? 4 RROD might indicate your placement of the xbox has inadequate airflow. That is highly unusual to have 4 go on you like that. I know both times it has happened to me it was of my own doing. First one was when i turned it on the day after an 18 hour session. The second is when i had left it on overnight (accidentally), and at night we had a power surge....

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I know you love your Xbox Smurf... but those are hardly big abuses.

Major design flaws. Computers and TV's don't have problems running for 18+ hours among many other electronics.

Smurf

Reaction score
sammyc521":1z6tn2qj said:
I know you love your Xbox Smurf... but those are hardly big abuses.

Major design flaws. Computers and TV's don't have problems running for 18+ hours among many other electronics.

We dont agree on the issue and i feel that it is best that the two of us refrain from conversation regarding the subject.

Riley12

Reaction score
To answer the question, ever since my 1st RRoD, I've kept all of my other ones very well ventilated.
I even keep it on it's side, because internet lore tells me that is best for it.
What my friend now jokingly calls my 'XBox shrine' has the unit three feet from the rest of my electronics
on one side, six feet to the wall on the other side, 3 feet from the rear wall and it's propped up on the curvy
points with wood blocks so that even the bottom of the console is a foot off of the ground. I've done everything
I can to ventilate the thing short of giving it a cool, refreshing beverage as it cranks away.

I'm not saying it to bash the console. I love my Wii, PS3 and 360 equally, but it is a frustratingly poor design.
I'm just glad that MS now admits to it and has a generous warranty period for the issue. That's a heck of a lot
better than three years ago when you basically had to win a screaming match with a guy in India to get
the repair done and win another one to get your DLC back.