OP
OP
J

JimmyB3

Reaction score
JesterHawk":2tmfmct9 said:
TravTex":2tmfmct9 said:
JimmyB3":2tmfmct9 said:
Once I realized that you are not always detected when firing your bow while sneaking......sneak, archery, and whatever else.. :D

Another nifty trick is clanging an arrow off the wall. They'll go investigate the noise, not magically ferret out where it came from.

If only some other game, maybe a game by Eidos like a decade or more ago, had thought of that before now!

On topic though...you guys are nerds. ;)

...and I wish I had time to play it.

P.S. It was "Thief 2".

No doubt. I am just glad they finally figured it out.

nategreat

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2346bjzp said:
Nice timing, Matt; this is the best 7-month game release window in the history of gaming, from Battlefield 3 to Mass Effect 3, with the "meat" in between the buns consisting of Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Aliens: Colonial Marines. I'm probably missing another very good game in there somewhere, too.

Yep, don't forget MW3 (as much as people like to hate on it) and Saints Row 3 as well.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":nmxxjwd9 said:
Nice timing, Matt; this is the best 7-month game release window in the history of gaming, from Battlefield 3 to Mass Effect 3, with the "meat" in between the buns consisting of Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Aliens: Colonial Marines. I'm probably missing another very good game in there somewhere, too.

You're also clearly missing female attention. :mrgreen:

...but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. :thirishdrinkers:

TravTex

Reaction score
Whew. Meandering about indecisively up north, I stumbled across an ancient Dwemer ruin. Nearly got myself killed by a few active Dwemer spheres... and then it got worse. Delving in deeper and deeper, I came upon a Falmer city. Falmer are in no way impressed by my sneaking abilities. And they have giant poison-spitting earwigs for pets.

SOMEHOW survived that, and made it through to the REALLY big Dwemer construct. The result of -that- battle was a last-ditch shout to buy myself time to Run. The Hell. Away. Found a lift back to ground level for a thankful bout of rethinking my life.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
Just picked the game up, the wife is taking extra classes so Ill have at least some time to play :) I cant wait to get started!

Snohomie

Reaction score
Killed my first dragon at level 9 (outside of the dragon the storyline almost throws you at) with my archerish (although my melee skills are rising MUCH faster than my archery skills, even though I try to use my bow the most) Redguard. I was just casually strolling from Falkreath to Rorikstead and the bugger showed up and I couldn't fight him, so I did what any true Redguard would do and ran like a little girl... The fort I was going to make a heroic last stand in (where I'd at least have cover and no trees) happened to be home to a group of Apprentice Fire Mages. Who did minimal damage to the dragon but were great decoys. I had the high ground on the mages so when the dragon started mowing through the, I just rained down arrows from above.

Out of mercy, I let some of the surviving mages live. It was the considerate thing to do.

TravTex

Reaction score
I had a dragon go full R-Tard on me, just today. It attacked while I was out strolling around in the courtyard of the Mage's College at Winterhold. It swooped at me a few times on the bridge, I'm shooting arrows... catching frost breath in the face. (One of the mage instructors kept standing there staring at me as it was going on, pissily asking what I thought I was doing.)

After a couple ineffective volleys, I said frick this and ran back into the courtyard. The dragon came down and -landed- in there, pissing off a handful of mage instructors. It did not last long.

The dragon skeleton is still there in the courtyard area, suffering from some wonky physics every time I enter the area.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Shooting arrows at dragons? What the hells wrong with you guys? I've been standing on mountain tops and let little guys think their all that. The dragon swoops by and I just stand there. I let him land then I pound him with poison covered Glass Mace. Power swing x 2, Heal w/ stamina increase, and repeat. You guys and you're silly arrows!

TravTex

Reaction score
Snork! Poison Mace again. It's funny, still!

One problem with the sneaky archer approach... Your companions turn into instant redshirts on your one-man away team.

I sneak in, take out someone with the first shot. Companion immediately goes all Leeroy Jenkins on me, and my options are to charge in and die as well, or say 'Okay, well frick him' and resume trying to pick them off one by one with the companion as a distraction. This usually results in the companions untimely demise as everything in the room just attacks the lone charging idiot.

And my poor dog... Meeko the Hound got in my line of fire and died from an arrow to the back of the head. Very sad.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Trav you should see people just lay down and die from a club to the head laced with 45 poison

Matticus

Reaction score
I started with the Breton and have focused mainly on Destruction, conjuration, and one handed weapons. I strongly recommend this strategy. I'm crazy happy with this game. Only thing is the game kind of lags sometimes, anyone else have this happen to them?

TravTex

Reaction score
I've had a little bit of lag on the PS3, but nothing too terrible. Usually when there's a nest of angry necromancers casting spells at me.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
So I started over 3 times, trying different things but after reading about the Breton I finally decided to go that route. I had always followed the rebel at the start but this time I followed the guard. After heading to the first town I picked up the quest for the golden claw, which was so much fun! Walking through the cave in the dark (I always play with the lights out) reminded me of the days of Daggerfall :) Im on normal level on the PC and maybe it was due to me only being level 2 but I had a tough time killing the spider and the undead guy at the end, but I got it done and picked up some nice loot.

I havent decided which one I will join yet, the stormcloaks or the empire, if at all... Im level 4 and have found so many hidden things, small caves or bandit camps its crazy! Im loving it!

Im going to concentrate mostly on destruction, I always play mages in games, the summon familiar is kinda cool so far, but from what I can tell I cant summon one and then use 2 other spells while the pet is out, I have to keep one hand free with that spell, if someone knows different let me know.

Ive picked up a few magical cloths, a ring, cloth helm and an apprentice robe that all help with my magika. SO far being level 4 Ive been able to skill up 3 times, twice into magika and once into health, Im still trying to understand the whole class skill abilities thing, my destruction is 29 right now and when its 30 I guess I can spec something new?

Im not one for reading strategy guides, not till Ive finished a game at least once, but being as this is still kind of a new game Im having a hard time finding much info online.

In short, I love this! I wish I had more time to play, and am looking forward to the 4 day weekend, even though I may only get to play for 10 hours at most with the holiday and things going on.

Matticus

Reaction score
AshamanMat":rjl9ks3i said:
So I started over 3 times, trying different things but after reading about the Breton I finally decided to go that route. I had always followed the rebel at the start but this time I followed the guard. After heading to the first town I picked up the quest for the golden claw, which was so much fun! Walking through the cave in the dark (I always play with the lights out) reminded me of the days of Daggerfall :) Im on normal level on the PC and maybe it was due to me only being level 2 but I had a tough time killing the spider and the undead guy at the end, but I got it done and picked up some nice loot.

I havent decided which one I will join yet, the stormcloaks or the empire, if at all... Im level 4 and have found so many hidden things, small caves or bandit camps its crazy! Im loving it!

Im going to concentrate mostly on destruction, I always play mages in games, the summon familiar is kinda cool so far, but from what I can tell I cant summon one and then use 2 other spells while the pet is out, I have to keep one hand free with that spell, if someone knows different let me know.

Ive picked up a few magical cloths, a ring, cloth helm and an apprentice robe that all help with my magika. SO far being level 4 Ive been able to skill up 3 times, twice into magika and once into health, Im still trying to understand the whole class skill abilities thing, my destruction is 29 right now and when its 30 I guess I can spec something new?

Im not one for reading strategy guides, not till Ive finished a game at least once, but being as this is still kind of a new game Im having a hard time finding much info online.

In short, I love this! I wish I had more time to play, and am looking forward to the 4 day weekend, even though I may only get to play for 10 hours at most with the holiday and things going on.

If you're doing the breton route, I strongly recommend joining the mages college in winterhold around level 6 or 7. Most fun quests I've done so far, and get a lot of great magical items.

Riley12

Reaction score
I'm playing a Dark Elf named Elric (as in 'of Melnibone'). I play the same way I did Oblivion - sneaking around, with a poisoned bow and
burying anything that gets into melee range with a conflagration of fire.

The most challenging quest so far was delving into a Dwemer ruin to return a lexicon. I finally visited the Greybeards, but now I am going
to start climbing the ranks in the Thieves Guild, although the Dark Brotherhood has come calling a couple of times and I may go and
try to track them down.

My son is playing through as an Argonian and doing the Mage Guild quests. It is just as fun to watch his playthrough as it is to play myself
because his storyline/path through the game is so different.

Matticus

Reaction score
Don't get sucked into the main storyline!!! I just finished the main plot when I was only level 22! Going to have a hard time staying motivated with the side quests now.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
You completed it at level 22? wow that was fast, yeah for sure Im going to do a lo of side quests and have fun with it

mistaowen

Reaction score
Dark Brotherhood storyline is a lot of fun if you enjoy killing random people and big parts of the main storyline. It also is a really good way to get lots of gold after you finish it as each quest you do for them after the main quest nets around 1000 gold. Almost finished Thieves Guild too but I got the skeleton key for unbreakable pick locks and I'm saving it to try and find more epic stuff :) Definitely like the thief style with daggers and a bow, sneaking and one shotting people is fun. Just started a duel wielding warrior and although you cant sneak up on anything, it is a lot of fun to bash people twice and kill them.