Madden 12 PS3 Community

OP
OP
S

Snohomie

Reaction score
I also don't like single division because it'd make our postseason mostly against computers. But a two-division league would make for interesting postseasons. Same conference or not, I guess if we went in two conferences we'd get the chance for the SB to be for players.

TravTex

Reaction score
Or, hell, a fantasy draft league would let us all put together the team we wanted and not worry about sucking quite so much with everyone on the same footing. THAT would require a little more planning, though, at least for the setup.

TravTex

Reaction score
If I work with some stuff, what's a good time that everyone can be around? I work nights, so it'd have to be either stupid late or stupid early. Since I think I'm a couple time zones behind everyone, the former probably works better.

OP
OP
S

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'd be fine doing a fantasy draft, as well, but our teams will probably look a little unrealistic. Still, I bet it'd be loads of fun.

I'm usually home/able to be home from 4:30-9:00 (I can stay up til 10, 10:30) M-F. I can make time during the weekends as long as I'm not missing a Ducks or Seahawks game. I might have another ridiculous stretch of meetings next week, so if we do a weekday we should do it this week.

Spounge84

Reaction score
During the week I'm usually home anytime after 2:30 pm (pacific) and I don't mind staying a little late or getting up a little early. Weekends tend to be a little harder for me as I'm usually working until about 5, and when I'm not working I have homework to do.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Yeah, weekday nights are the best for me. I'm usually good after 8 depending on when my baby goes down.

TravTex

Reaction score
I'm working Tuesday & Wednesday night. I'll see what I can set up and how it works out -- # of divisions, teams, whatever. I want to have enough CPU teams so we're not all ridiculous all-stars, so team-building comes into play a LITTLE bit.

Thursday or Friday night for a draft might work. Maybe 9pm Pacific.

Edit: I've discovered some annoying tendencies on the couple of fantasy drafts I've played with offline franchise. I'll go berserk on the O and D-line, and secondary, then oh-wait, a solid running back and tight end, but don't forget the linebackers... Next thing I know, I'm drafting Colt McCoy in the 27th round as my starting QB. I'm Pete Fricking Carroll.

OP
OP
S

Snohomie

Reaction score
Yeah I've ended up with lopsided teams in the past as well. I have a tendency to start the season as the lowest-ranked team in the league because I keep taking young guys instead of vets. I am consciously aiming to keep that to an almost reasonable level this game.

If we want to be in the same division, we should determine what division and what teams? I don't want to be Pittsburgh or the Browns, too much anger towards both teams. Or Minnesota because I have pride. Or Oakland. Otherwise I'm good wherever.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
In order to do a fantasy draft, are we starting over in similar divisions (at least 2 teams in a division; all 4 teams in a division; etc) or can we do a fantasy draft with our current teams?

Honestly, if I can get away from this 1-3 team... I'll do it.

TravTex

Reaction score
I'll mess around with it and see if I can come up with ideas. In the meantime, same house-rules regarding FA. Thinking of adding in a game starts HR, as well. (Dude, 7 starts? Suspicious person is suspicious.)

Spounge84

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. My PS3 kept losing my connection at what seemed like random times last week. I think I figured it out though, it seemed to be happening when my roommates were online as well (I share a connection with 3 other people).

Also, if we are going to start over I would suggest that who ever is going to be commish makes sure that the latest rosters are downloaded before we start.

TravTex

Reaction score
With a draft, I'm not too worried about the roster updates.

So, looking at teams people hate brings me to the following one-division or two-division options:

NFC South

AFC South

I'm looking at some options: 1-Division League or 2-Division League. Pros/Cons, getting the timing right, not too big of a deal with the small group. 2 division could -potentially- have a User Player SB, but with 28 CPU teams out there I'm not thinking it's a sure thing by any stretch.

Draft or No Draft. Obvious pros/cons there, as well. As far as a no-draft league goes, it looks like the AFC South is pretty tight, talent-wise... That's assuming a Manning-free Colts. Actually, even -with- Manning, the Colts aren't that horrifying. Latest roster is showing me: Texans 84, Titans 82, Colts 79, and Jaguars 83

NFC South split is a bit wider with the top/bottom group. Falcons 85, Saints 86, Buccs 82, Panthers 83.

Having a draft blasts that into pointlessness. So, the single division league makes the entire season a fight for the division title or a wildcard spot. Also guarantees there'd never be a User Super Bowl. A two-division team locks two players into playing each other twice and maybe playing the others? Either way, keeps the two married to one another for the season and fighting with the CPU teams for the playoff slot.

Thoughts?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Another cool idea if we did AFC/NFC South is that they play each other this year, so even if we split divisions 2-2 we'd play 4 user games (2 division games and 2 opposing conference division games) and we'd all play each other at least once. I'm down for that.

TravTex

Reaction score
OK, here's the vote, if nobody objects:

Vote 1: AFC/NFC South, NFC South Only, AFC South Only.
Vote 2: Fantasy Draft: Y/N

OP
OP
S

Snohomie

Reaction score
I vote AFC/NFC South.

I'm neutral on the fantasy draft. I abstain from the vote. It could be fun, but it might get old roflstomping you guys with my hand-picked players :p.

Spounge84

Reaction score
I'm going with AFC/NFC South.

I also like the idea of a draft, it could give some balance.

TravTex

Reaction score
Okay, so AFC/NFC South it is. Looks like an overwhelming 'Meh' on the fantasy draft thing. One yea, one nay, two abstains. Heh. Considering that it's more work, and can make for some weird teams, we can skip it.

Needing a system for team-picking. Naturally, I like the 'I'm from Texas, so I'll take the Texans and the rest of you can suck it' system... BUT in the interest of fairness, let's let the records in the original experimental franchise dictate.

Either way -- Just pipe up here with your AFC pick, your NFC pick, and preferred division. We'll sort it out from there. People picking the same can have a couple rounds of sack tapping for it. (Or, better current W/L record wins the pick.)

Me:

1.) AFC South: Texans
2.) NFC South: Panthers