PC Gaming Help

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
My Pops is about to have a surgery that's gonna take him off his feet for 6-8 weeks. He wants to find a game for PC that he can play to occupy some of his time. He is the opposite of tech savy. He wants something where he can "fly and shoot" as he puts it. Preferably with a joystick. Is there any simple flight sim/shooter games out there? He used to love to play Rebel Assault and Doom back when, but most of the new stuff these days is a little above his gamer ability, if you know what I mean. I've been out of the video game, uh... game... for a while now and am pretty out of touch.

I went to you guys because you're the best. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ooof, the days of simple flight sims are long, long gone. There just aren't any, unless you want to install a very old game. Battlefield Bad Company 2 has rush mode maps that have very simple aircraft to fly, and it's quite fun, but there is often heavy competition to get them; and it's primarily a first-person shooter game, anyways.

Frankly, you'll probably have to install something very old if that's what he's looking for. I used to love playing the original Battlefield 1942 with the Desert Combat mod with a bunch of bots and just flying the aircraft around, raping stuff. You could set him up with that, because the AI never went for aircraft.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
If you want a flight sim, there is a new one out called A10 Warthog or something like that with a high metacritic score. For a good linear, entertaining single player FPS, just get him some of the call of duty games. I can't imagine him not enjoying them. I would agree on BC2 but honestly the singleplayer is short and kind of shitty; it's more focused on intense skilled multiplayer combat.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
There are a number of good flight sims available but none of them are even within worlds of "simple". I actually tried A10, and it's pretty well-done, but NOT simple.

The Radish

Reaction score
ZD, I am moving this and leaving a shadow so both types of forums can see it. Hope you get the infomation you need.

:D

p.s. if there is anything else we can do to help let us know.

taz291819

Reaction score
Battlefield 2, setup with bots, is pretty fun for flying, especially in the helicopters.

A good time killing game is Portal 2. I believe if you buy it now, you get the first game for free.

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
Speaking of Portal, anything from VALVE is excellent; the Half-Life 1 & 2 series are the best games ever made.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
TIE-Fighter2.jpg

Classic, awesome game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
sammyc521":2ibolcdy said:
TIE-Fighter2.jpg

Classic, awesome game.

This makes me so nostalgic for the days when LucasArts was a top of the line game producer. (Especially when their adventure games like Sam and Max and the Monkey Island series are factored in.)

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
i dont understand why they dont make another one. everybody has been screaming for one for over 10 years now and they would make a fortune if they did a good job

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2v7tbtxr said:
BioWare should make a new one. I can't imagine how epic an RPG flight-sim would be by them, haha.

as long as it retains the O.G. tie fighter style sim that plays more like a ww2 dogfight and less like the point and click controls with eve, that would be awesome