Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Post subject: Call of Duty: Black Ops
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 am 
NET Veteran

Anyone getting this game? My wife is picking my reserved copy up today, and I'm going to 'attempt' to play online this evening. With everybody and their brother buying this, the servers will probably crash by the weekend and I'll be back on MW2.

If you already got it, let me know how it is. I'm expecting the online play will suck for about a month or so.

Post subject: Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

I've got it downloading on Steam here at work and at home...few hours to go. I thought MW2 was kind of crappy compared to COD4MW but I heard that Black Ops is excellent, so I am excited to play and re-establish my COD dominance :179422:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:39 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Call me when they make a game in the franchise where you aren't speed-skating around at 45 miles per hour in an attempt to make fast-paced action. 8)

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 am 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

what isn't realistic about being a super ninja extreme package with the mega jesse owens package carrying nothing but a grenade launcher and switchblade?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 am 
NET Starter

I've never played CoD on the PC. How is it compared to playing on a console?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Any first person shooter is better on the PC. A mouse is a requirement for any FPS. Why do you think they never combine online PC players with online console players? The PC ones would spank the ever-loving hell out of the console players :)

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 am 
NET Starter

Hah sounds like I need to give the PC a chance!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:27 am 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Any first person shooter is better on the PC. A mouse is a requirement for any FPS. Why do you think they never combine online PC players with online console players? The PC ones would spank the ever-loving hell out of the console players :)

For once I will agree with you. That + the level of skill among PC players is significantly higher. A majority of console users who try to convert to PC tend to get pwned pretty often and go back to their PS3s and 360s. The FPS genre was invented for PC back in the 90s so you have some pretty hardcore peeps on there. It's actually really sad how so many developers have gone from porting PC games to console, to now the other way around. I think Valve is one of the last true PC FPS developers.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:37 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Well, from a developer standpoint, programming for consoles is win-win. There is no downside. You have a less fickle audience that cares less about content and is less vested in the long-term playability of any given title. PC users are stuffy, picky, ornery and harder to please by comparison. That's not an accurate assessment of PC gamers, it's just that console gamers as a whole are more sheep-like, lol. They'll stand for lower quality in games in many ways that PC gamers won't.

Now if you are interested in making truly amazing games...making it for the PC then porting it is your best shot. It'll be a higher quality game, most likely. This is all a generalization, there are plenty of exceptions, blahblahblah.

I shudder to think of what the Quake franchise would have been like had it been a console-only one.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:53 am 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Well, from a developer standpoint, programming for consoles is win-win. There is no downside. You have a less fickle audience that cares less about content and is less vested in the long-term playability of any given title. PC users are stuffy, picky, ornery and harder to please by comparison. That's not an accurate assessment of PC gamers, it's just that console gamers as a whole are more sheep-like, lol. They'll stand for lower quality in games in many ways that PC gamers won't.

Now if you are interested in making truly amazing games...making it for the PC then porting it is your best shot. It'll be a higher quality game, most likely. This is all a generalization, there are plenty of exceptions, blahblahblah.

I shudder to think of what the Quake franchise would have been like had it been a console-only one.

Agreed. It's only natural for them to develop for the largest market, but it still sucks!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:44 pm 
NET Veteran

ElDoceHombre wrote:
what isn't realistic about being a super ninja extreme package with the mega jesse owens package carrying nothing but a grenade launcher and switchblade?

I hear you on that one. My biggest pet peeve on the game is these you're talking about, except they usually have akimbo shotguns instead of a 203. They do that because they suck and can't shoot (and they're probably 12yr olds). Any future versions of CoD need to eliminate Marathon/Lightweight/Commando as perks, or make it so you can't combine any of those perks together.

Didn't mean for this to turn in to a PC v console thread... I'm sure both have their +/-.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:51 pm 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

Yeah that was also my biggest gripe against MW2. They took a great perk system from COD4 and packed too much in to make it more "extreme" and it just ended up ruining the balance and thus making the entire game more of a novelty that pandered to the lowest common denominator. It reminds me of when Yoplait started marketing "Gogurt Extreme Rush". How is yogurt in a tube extreme or a rush???

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Team Fortress 2 (PC) 1000x than any COD game.

What's been improved in COD since COD4?

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 pm 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

sammyc521 wrote:
Team Fortress 2 (PC) 1000x than any COD game.

What's been improved in COD since COD4?

:th2thumbs: Well i can tell you in MW2 not a lot improved, but definitely regressed. I found myself playing more BC2 instead because in addition to Valve's games I enjoy a good milsim shooter. I am 3 hours away from finding out if Black Ops is any good. I think it goes without question that no COD game will ever come close to the quality of anything in Valve's catalog.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:27 pm 
NET Starter

I picked mine up for the Xbox 360. I think it is the best COD yet. They fixed just about every exploit the people were complaining about.
Great maps, and balanced play.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:59 pm 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

this is really awesome...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:54 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

I get mine tomorrow.........take a a test in the morning and then it has my name written all over it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:02 pm 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

Blitzer88 wrote:
I get mine tomorrow.........take a a test in the morning and then it has my name written all over it.

I'm a couple hours into single player, having a blast

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:15 pm 
NET Starter

Well, I bought it for the PC off of Steam. Really impressed with the graphics and the game play. The only thing I gripe I have is that I suck so far. :P

Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:59 pm 
NET Veteran

Ok - played it. Managed to make it through one level of campaign mode before I got online with my buddy. I usually get my butt kicked my first time out, but I only had one match out of about 5 or 6 that sucked.
Overall I like the online play. The maps seem a lot bigger and more intricate. Uhh.. I guess that's all I got since I didn't get to play a whole lot (have a job in the am). I haven't set up any classes yet or anything. Man, I can't wait until my day off!

And for console people, at least PS3 like myself, you can set the game searches to local, so it seems to me there is WAY less lag than MW2, or maybe I just got lucky and got in a good group.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

Damnit...I was so pumped and jacked to get it in the mail today....but of course it didn't come today so I have to wait till tomorrow.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:47 am 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

Just finished the SP in 2 after-work sessions. It is way better than MW2. It's only like 6 hours, but holy shit there isn't a moment where you're not blown away...to those who have beaten it already...base jumping.

...plus the...eh..."end level", that was pretty sick.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

6 Hours to beat a game? That's terrible in my eye. I'm not asking for a 20+ hour grind... but to be able to finish a game in one sitting is weaksauce.

Yes, I know all about the multi-player, but I think games should be able to stand as a single-player game. If not, why even bother offering single-player. That's why I think a game like TF2 is better than any other FPS out there. It is and always will be a multiple-player game that requires a true team to succeed.
/end rant.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 am 
* NET Guy Fieri Lover *

sammyc521 wrote:
6 Hours to beat a game? That's terrible in my eye. I'm not asking for a 20+ hour grind... but to be able to finish a game in one sitting is weaksauce.

Yes, I know all about the multi-player, but I think games should be able to stand as a single-player game. If not, why even bother offering single-player. That's why I think a game like TF2 is better than any other FPS out there. It is and always will be a multiple-player game that requires a true team to succeed.
/end rant.

I feel the same way...all the HL games are closer to 15-20 I think and those are awesome. The story for this one is awesome, but yes, it kinda sucks to pay $60 for something that you finish in 2 days

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:41 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

I've tried this on the pc and I'd have to say the single player campaign was pretty good. I still believe that Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the better game overall though. I can't seem to get enough of that one.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:22 am 
NET Starter

I'm getting a little better in multiplayer. I've had the most success using the Famas w/ acog scope attached. For my perks I'm using scavenger, hardened and second chance.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 am 
NET Starter

Pretty solid game. I'd give it a solid A. The Combat Training, while generally worthless, is a pretty good way to get the hang of the multiplayer experience.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:40 pm 
* NET Draft Guru *

How do you guys rate the multiplayer now that you've had a bit of time with it? Debating the upgrade from MW2 to Black Ops.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

I'm debating Ops versus BC2.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:24 am 
NET Veteran

definitely Ops...

I liked BC2 over MW2... but nowadays, all I play is Ops...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:04 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

Ops' multiplayer is much better.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

So, I went with Bad Company 2. Been playing hardcore mode and having a blast. BC2: Vietnam drops sometime this month, I think. (Just yesterday morning I snuck around a corner and lo and behold was an entire 4-man squad sneaking along right ahead of me. Chuck a grenade, then go all Rambo on their asses as they tried to scatter. Bwahahaha...)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm 
NET Veteran

Bad Company 2 is awesome- it seems more tactical (not very tactical, but at least MORE tactical), more in line with Ghost Recon, as opposed to Call of Duty. That's one of the reasons I like it. People can complain about "camping" all they want, but really, it's a war game- who is really going to go running around in the middle of the road? Haha... and there's nothing quite like blowing through most of the environment- blowing buildings to the ground never gets old.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

I tend to like running Recon. Throw out some motion sensors, skulk around. I just finished a round with 7 destroyed vehicles, haha. If you find a good sniper's nest, yeah, I guess one could be accused of camping, but really... once they get a bead on your location you can get hosed pretty fast.

Love the destructible everything. See some dude sneak into a building, punch an RPG through the wall...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 am 
* NET Draft Guru *

I went with BC2, absolutely loving it so far. Though sometimes my team/squad frustrates me so badly. Nothing like playing rush with 10 snipers and 1 guy defending each objective.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Snohomie wrote:
I went with BC2, absolutely loving it so far. Though sometimes my team/squad frustrates me so badly. Nothing like playing rush with 10 snipers and 1 guy defending each objective.

Hey, Kyle. Catch me online, sometime (I think I still see you logging in occasionally), and we'll shoot at one another.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 pm 
NET Veteran

anyone play on 360 regularly?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:46 am 
NET Veteran

almost every night... late late late night though... like 4am

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:44 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Feeling the itch to buy a shooter... Black Ops sounds like more of the same COD-online; I'm intrigued by Bad Company 2.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 pm 
* NET Draft Guru *

Get it Sammy!

BC2 is a blast. It really sucks early on before you start getting good weapons and such, but I'm only level 12 or 13 and I've unlocked some quality weapons, last couple of nights I've been top-3 (of 20+) in room. Plus, you can just follow my strategy and pick up the kits (weapons and items) from dead people on the ground til you get good guns. FWIW, the first couple of pistols are actually legit.

Very team-oriented. Which is usually good, sometimes maddening when the entire room decides to go (recon) sniper and nobody worries about the objectives, but it's not that bad a problem usually.

(Trav - I swear, I haven't seen you logged in once on BC2. Send me a message if you see me online, I'm bad about checking that sort of thing but I'll keep my eyes peeled and we can blow stuff up!)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Found BC2 Ultimate for $40 on Amazon. Suppose to arrive Friday... Two days after Mass Effect 2.

Now if I could use my TV...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:32 pm 
* NET Draft Guru *

sammyc521 wrote:
Found BC2 Ultimate for $40 on Amazon. Suppose to arrive Friday... Two days after Mass Effect 2.

Sweet! About BC2, I mean. What's with the TV? Kid/Wife want the wiggles instead (this one is for you, ElDoce)?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:41 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Finally found the time to play BlackOps and finish it over the last couple of days. That was fun. And short. Will play it online when I can. Should be good.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Snohomie wrote:
sammyc521 wrote:

Sweet! About BC2, I mean. What's with the TV? Kid/Wife want the wiggles instead (this one is for you, ElDoce)?

Pretty much.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Sorry, Kyle -- The second I mentioned it, I went on a NBA 2K11 frenzy... Now I'm on a Mass Effect 2 frenzy. Will be back to blowing crap up soon enough. My last few runs, I was playing some serious Tank King with an Engineer. 1.) Blow crap up. 2.) Jump out and fix your tank. 3.) Blow more crap up.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am 
* NET Draft Guru *

lol no worries Trav. I'm in the playoffs in my "Seattle" 2k11 franchise myself. Barely eeked out a last-second win vs your Spurs to win the series. (Denver next)

Plus, the last couple of days whenever I try to get into a room it throws me into a room with 5 or fewer people. Maddening.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Bad Company 2 was delivered yesterday... to my office after I had already left. Can't wait to open it up and start blowing up some buildings. Any tips?

Trav, I'm playing Mass Effect 2 as soon as everyone goes to bed... haven't gotten very far. Digging it a lot more than Dragon Age. Gave up on that game.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Snohomie wrote:
lol no worries Trav. I'm in the playoffs in my "Seattle" 2k11 franchise myself. Barely eeked out a last-second win vs your Spurs to win the series. (Denver next)

Plus, the last couple of days whenever I try to get into a room it throws me into a room with 5 or fewer people. Maddening.

I keep meaning to do a franchise, but have been having fun with MP. My 5'9" 3pt Point Guard was working on an interesting career before I did the 'Think I have the controls figured out' restart. Drafted by Knicks in mid-late 2nd round, traded with Roger Mason to the Thunder... who somehow decided to move him into the starting lineup, bumping MW back to SG. OKC -then- traded for Marcus Camby -- Trade-happy GM.

My new MP career got me drafted 2nd round early to the 'Blazers. My first Summer Circuit game was a bizarre freakish thing where I got 6 points, 7 boards, and 9 assists. Yeah... 5'9", grabbing 7 rebounds.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

Seriously... 1.76 GB update for BC2?

If I ever get to play this game tonight, it'll be a miracle.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 am 
* NET Draft Guru *

sammyc521 wrote:
Seriously... 1.76 GB update for BC2?

If I ever get to play this game tonight, it'll be a miracle.

Jeez. I hadn't realized it was that big.

Tips:
Rocks are reliable cover (as long as they fully obscure you), which is pretty rare.

Always be in a squad so you can respawn on the front lines. If you notice your squadmates are dead, try to stay alive til they can spawn on you. Critical to actually win.

Medkits, Resupply Boxes, and Motion Mines are great ways to get experience even without killing someone. Drop them everywhere.

When you level up Recon a bit, you can get a pointer on your rifle that makes guys appear to your teammates. Don't be like me and ignore it, you get points for that too.

Pistols are actually good guns. Aim for the headshot if possible, but if you don't like the early guns, you can do worse than a M9.

When playing as medic, use your pistol in close-quarters. It's not as bulky to control as the machine gun.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ FANTASY ISLAND ]