NCAA Football 10

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Something about NCAA Footballs games that get kind of stale to me.

I guess that once you build your team to a power house, it's hard to fall.

A

Anonymous

Favorite series, glad create-a-school is back although I don't like how you can only build them online.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I found a midnight release for it and got 2 (eventually 3) days off work for it. I'm more excited for NCAA than Madden because Madden was SUCH a letdown to me last year.

Anyways, I'm sad they haven't made quality recruiting less time-consuming. It is still an event that takes nearly as much time as the games.

Otherwise, pretty happy. I'm in Bellingham using my roommate's PS3 so I haven't started any franchises. Though, on All-American, I've had some really close games - lost to Alabama as Oklahoma State because my game-winning field-goal was nullified by a holding penalty. Lost in overtime as Florida State vs Florida.

Thoughts overall:
1.) I still can't really run the read-option effectively, even as a team like UF or UO that have good running QBs.

2.) Holy shit, Georgia Tech's triple-option offense is almost unstoppable - did a game vs #15 Cal, and only times I didn't score were on a pair of fumbles. FB up the middle, with a legit fullback, is very effective, especially since I am failing at passing.

3.) Press defense is way, way overpowered - in that Bama game, I was getting my *** whooped til I started pressing ALL the time... then it became a much better game, and I won the 2nd half handily after getting spanked the first half.

3a.) I did figure out later that if you do a fade and there's no safety help, you can burn press somewhat.

4.) These ratings are screwed up - Bradford with 95THP and 93THA? UCLA with a billion QBs over 80OVR? They couldn't pass at all last year...

5.) It really helps to have a killer WR - Arrellious Benn was able to make so many tight catches for me in practice mode.

6.) Curls are no longer auto-wins on All-American. Much harder this year to get separation on those routes, a ton of picks that way. In fact, I had relatively few picks last year in a spread offense, this year I throw TONS of interceptions.

7.) The new QB hit-mechanics are interesting. Timing is off, so a lot of passes that would've been normal throws last year become floaters because the QB gets hit - though I went back and replayed at least one throw where the ball left my QB's hand before he was touched, yet had a funky motion. Not "broken" or anything, but someone used to the old animation style is in for a shock.

Smurf

Reaction score
Snohomie":j3ioh46k said:
I found a midnight release for it and got 2 (eventually 3) days off work for it. I'm more excited for NCAA than Madden because Madden was SUCH a letdown to me last year.

Anyways, I'm sad they haven't made quality recruiting less time-consuming. It is still an event that takes nearly as much time as the games.

Otherwise, pretty happy. I'm in Bellingham using my roommate's PS3 so I haven't started any franchises. Though, on All-American, I've had some really close games - lost to Alabama as Oklahoma State because my game-winning field-goal was nullified by a holding penalty. Lost in overtime as Florida State vs Florida.

Thoughts overall:
1.) I still can't really run the read-option effectively, even as a team like UF or UO that have good running QBs.

2.) Holy shit, Georgia Tech's triple-option offense is almost unstoppable - did a game vs #15 Cal, and only times I didn't score were on a pair of fumbles. FB up the middle, with a legit fullback, is very effective, especially since I am failing at passing.

3.) Press defense is way, way overpowered - in that Bama game, I was getting my *** whooped til I started pressing ALL the time... then it became a much better game, and I won the 2nd half handily after getting spanked the first half.

3a.) I did figure out later that if you do a fade and there's no safety help, you can burn press somewhat.

4.) These ratings are screwed up - Bradford with 95THP and 93THA? UCLA with a billion QBs over 80OVR? They couldn't pass at all last year...

5.) It really helps to have a killer WR - Arrellious Benn was able to make so many tight catches for me in practice mode.

6.) Curls are no longer auto-wins on All-American. Much harder this year to get separation on those routes, a ton of picks that way. In fact, I had relatively few picks last year in a spread offense, this year I throw TONS of interceptions.

7.) The new QB hit-mechanics are interesting. Timing is off, so a lot of passes that would've been normal throws last year become floaters because the QB gets hit - though I went back and replayed at least one throw where the ball left my QB's hand before he was touched, yet had a funky motion. Not "broken" or anything, but someone used to the old animation style is in for a shock.

I agree Kyle, as much as i get a hard on for madden games, last years was a big let down. The NCAA franchise has never let me down, and this years is no different.

I too am disappointed with how long it takes to do recruiting, it hurts the overall enjoyment of the game i think...especially if you are doing it for two schools (I control the OU Ducks and my created team, the Emerald City Smurfs).

Not sure what your issue is with the read-option kyle, i use it with my created school to perfection (similar players to the gators).

The press is EXTREMELY overpowered. I have actually had to THINK about how to defeat it, how to confuse the D, and make them unable to press. I have found that Fades and slant routes out of a shotgun or pistol work the best.

Unfortunately i dont know much about the rankings (dont watch alot of college players until draft time rolls around).

Curls have become like every other route. When executed perfectly you can gain your 8-12 yards, but when you try and force it...INT....LOVE IT!

I love the new QB animations. Being able to actually hit the QB and affect his throw is awesome. Sometimes you get floaters others you get balls strait to the dirt, depends on how ya hit em...

I am really enjoying this game and LOVE the online create a team. Being able to import your own logo to use is friggin fantastic. Have already seen a couple "seahawks" teams and throw back teams.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Haven't tried the create-a-school yet. I might re-make WWU and lead them to the promised land...

I do like the curl thing, but my biggest concern is that a true spread is HARD to run when teams press.

Drags work well too, just so you know... though one year Madden made them so overpowered I feel a little dirty to use them.

I've always struggled with the read-option. I usually key the QB's end (end the QB runs to... though, a good question would be which side is playside in this formation? I assume the side the RB runs to, so backside end, or usually left end), which is how I believe real college teams run it. *shrug* I hope to figure it out eventually.

Smurf

Reaction score
I base the Read option on the what the linebackers are doing. I generally have VERY fast running backs (97+ in speed), so if the outside linebackers are playing in, i will give it to the runningback and try and bounce it outside once i get outside of the tackles. If the outside line backers are playing out, i will generally take the QB and try a cutback lane. Also, i have found that in this game, 80% of the effectiveness of the Read option is based on how you set it up. You HAVE to take some -2 to 2 yard plays in order to set the defense up for the 15-30 yard explosions. Generally i wont let the QB actually take it until the 3rd or 4th time ive run it.

I run a pretty balanced offensive system over all, incorporating the Read option, the option (triple too), screen passes, Iform, and the spread....then again, i have the personnel to do that. Recently i havent been able to get my running attack started, and have found my self passing 80% of the time. That means ALOT of spread offense. I have found some things that work really well to counter the press coverage.

1. WR screens. Your receiver will push off of the pressing CB, drop back to get the pass, then a the tight end/slot receiver is usually there to block the pressing CB.
2. WR options/end a rounds. with the CB's pressing the WR generally wont "miss" that block they do when they CB's are a normal distance off.
3. Use your backs. In the press the CB's are alot more worried about their WR than a little back coming out into the flat.
4. Tight ends. use the TE to destroy them over the middle with slants, drags, posts or streaks (try to avoid using out routes, or in routes as the MLB or CB generally break these plays up).

Once a defense gets worried about stoping a WR screen or a tight end they will be forced to adjust their game plan. I have found that once they abandon the press they switch to a zone system, and then after the zone fails, they go to a regular man (generally with a 3 man line). The key is to get them out of the press as quickly as possible.

Snohomie

Reaction score
The RB thing seems to work fairly well, though screens have not worked at all against press for me. The Miami playbook doesn't really have a whole lot except out of the shotgun, and with the way my running game is going I'm not using the shotgun a lot - running has worked a lot better than passing for me...

Interesting Miami franchise though. We're 7-1 and I swear, the most brutal 4-game opener I've ever seen. Start off against #20 Florida State (beat without a ton of difficulty), then go against the tough GT offense (won on a last second field goal) and defense. Then I get to play then #7 Virginia Tech, who put up a good fight but couldn't beat my defense. Won 13-10 or something like that. Then the game I expected to lose - Oklahoma at Miami. Blew. Them. Out... I was surprised at how easy that was. Somehow emerged 4-0, then beat a Div2 team to be 5-0... before losing to nobody-school UCF in a simmed game - figured I wasn't needed. Whooooooops. Guess that's the problem with a sophomore QB. Beat up on Clemson and Wake Forest by huge amounts before adjusting sliders to make things a little tougher.

My running game is quite dominant - Graig Cooper is 2nd in yards despite being about 30th in carries, first in TDs and Yards Per. Also a decent receiver. I run a lot of varied running plays - isos, tosses, power, slams, counters, options... I turned down the tackling slider for CPU and Myself to 40, which might be why he is busting so many plays but I feel at 50 on All American it's a little too precise of tackling. Busting some big runs though so might need to lower RB ability. I run a lot with a FB or in 2-TE sets, the 2 TE sets really seem to open the field for me.

Passing game is coming around - I don't pass a whole lot because nobody seems to be stopping my running game, but when I do pass I do alright. A lot of short passes, with a couple deep passes a game. Slants, drags, crossing patterns (as effective in game as they are in real life), and the occasional curl work well. I don't think I'll make national title this year, but next year I feel okay about my chances, even with Cooper leaving UM has a freshman I'm redshirting this year. But my recruiting class might suck - in general, it seems like the entire class lacks speed. 1 HB with an A in speed (not interested in UM) and that's it. But, I got the #1 player in the nation (C though, but Cs seem to be the most important guys in pass protection) liking my school and have a good shot with the #1 Athlete (S or FB) as well. Should get 3-4 5 star guys, and a ton of 4 stars... My favorite player was a 4 star DT with huge strength and block shedding grades, but he wouldn't move me above #4. Not nearly as athletic a class as Miami normally pulls in, but the speed ratings for ALL prospects seem to suck.

Oh yeah, Rob. What playbook and team do you roll with normally. I would love a playbook that kept things diverse like yours haven't found one like it yet.

Smurf

Reaction score
Nice job with the start to the season! that sounds pretty tough indeed. Sort of as bad as i started with Oregon last season (into my second year now). I don't remember what order i played them in, but i played a #3 ranked USC, a #8 ranked Virginia Tech, a #2 ranked Florida, and a #17 ranked Washington. I beat them all, but barely. Those are ranked by ease by the way...I BLEW out USC something like 30-7, then beat VT 42-17, beat Florida 35-28, then beat Washington 21-20 (blocked their game ending field goal attempt). After week 8 Oregon was ranked #2 and my other team ECS were ranked #1. Stayed that way til Oregon played Oregon State, won that game by a late field goal, but got bumped down to #3...went perfect and didn't have a shot at the title...I was pissed. Did start this current season ranked #1 and #2 and have 3 of the top 5 Heisman spots with my players (all three of them are sophomores or redshirted sophomores).

Unfortunately neither of my school have a very good second TE. each team only has two active TE's at the moment, 1 that is around a 90, and another that is a developing (freshman) 75. I missed the ball on the recruiting side as far as my need for TE's go, and it had definitely shown in my ability to run the ball.

Recruiting question for ya, how many scholarships are you getting? For the ECS (full star level school) i am getting 25, but for Oregon i am limited to 15 (i think they are 4 or 5 out of 7 stars).

Right now i am running two different playbooks. For Oregon I am using their natural playbook (the Pistol-Option-Spread combo) and for my other team i am using the Generic "Balanced" Play book (and holy hell do they mean balanced!).

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I love this game.

However, might be a little too easy for me. Should I really put up 500+ yards and 45 points against LSU with UW in All-American mode when I just picked up the game?

Unlike last years game, I can actually get a decent pass rush going. Jake Locker is a god, incredibly accurate passer, which is funny, but I'm not complaining. Deep posts work like a charm against man coverage.

The game runs a lot smoother than last years and I'm stoked you can actually throw a fade route in this years game without it getting picked off. Also, they seemed to have fixed the nagging EA Sports football problem of linebackers leaping twenty feet in the air to pick off a deep in route to a receiver twenty yards downfield. But, I haven't played the game all that much yet.

Haven't run the spread all that much yet, but it seems a little tougher to stop the Jet Sweep this year than years past.

I was halfway through kickin USC's ass when Locker tore his pectoral muscle. The backup is an absolute joke.

Smurf

Reaction score
seahawk2k":wm3jqztu said:
Unlike last years game, I can actually get a decent pass rush going.

OMG YES! I have noticed it too! I also like how they changed the swim move/spin move from a button mashing scenario into the right stick, gives it a very real feel to id. Generally I play as the end that lines up with the RT (that makes him the LE i think), and have just been able to obliterate the tackles. The pass protection is also alot better, and more realistic, because there are REAL double teams, and more lineman movement.

Right now I would say my team is getting about 5-6 sacks a game, with a TON of QB Hurries and Hits. I went one game where the QB didnt throw a ball without my team just drilling him.

Right along with the pass rush/pass protect being better the same can be said for blitzing and hot routes. Blitzing is even more effective in certain situations, there have even been times where i havent read the blitz coming at me and given up a sack.

Smurf

Reaction score
I have got a big question for any one who does Dynasty in NCAA 10...

Have you ever had a transfer request to a player to COME to your school? Every offseason I get one player who isn't happy with his situation and puts in a transfer request (to go to some crap school where he will start), generally i talk him down out of leaving (unless its a CB, The way I can recruit CB's just isnt even fair.) and they stay. Well after the Players leaving screen (Transfer, Pro Draft, Graduation), there is a screen for incoming transfer requests...Has anyone ever gotten one? I think in all my years of playing this game i have NEVER gotten one. Any idea on how to do it? any info would be helpful...

Also, a little update on my Dynasty mode.

I am now about 3 games into my 5th season, and have coached 3 teams with 2 coaches. Here is how it went down:

First a little intro. I control two schools at a time, in different conferences, and play and recruit my way through the season. To keep things from getting overly confusing i use the same playbook for both teams - Run Balanced - Although, with different personnel, different style of play develops from the same set of plays. Oregon was Option + Spread, and my other school Emerald City Smurf (created school) used a Speed running game + spread.

For the record. All championship games between the two teams i control are simmed.

2009:
#1 ECS - SEC Champions - National Champs - Heisman winner, Maxwell winner (both by the QB), and 6 other Trophy's
#3 Oregon - Pac Ten Champs - 1 Trophy, Wasnt invited to the national champ game despite being undefeated.

2010:
#1 ECS - SEC Champs - National Champs - Time Heisman Winner, Maxwell winner (again, both by the QB), and 4 other trophy's
#2 Oregon - Pac Ten Champs - Lost national champ game, 3 trophy's

2011:
#1 ECS -SEC Champs - National Champs - Heisman winner (this time the stud WR beats his QB), Maxwell (QB, 3rd strait), and 5 other trophy's
#22 Oregon - was decimated by three HUGE injuries to star juniors, and the starting QB. The Defense was able to get them ranked by beating the #13 school on the last game of the season, in a 3-0 victory.

After that season at Oregon, and a piss poor recruiting year for the team, i decided to take that coach and jump ship. I landed at Ohio State, the #4 team in the nation.

2012:
#2 ECS - SEC Champs - National Champ game loser - Heisman winner and 3 other trophy's. The 2time Heisman winner QB has graduated and moved on, and his replacement breaks his collarbone in week one on a late hit. Seriously. Got the flag and everything, but now I'm down my starting QB...for the season. So a backup Sophomore comes in, and friggin lights the world on fire. He ends up winning the best QB award, and our stud WR wins his 2nd strait Heisman and the Maxwell.

#1 Ohio State - Big Ten Champs - National Champs - 3 other Trophy's. This coach who has had nothing but problems getting past the ECS in the championship game beats them 48-49...get this, by a blocked field goal...

2013:
#2 ECS (3-0) - The QB who stepped in and led the team to the championship game decides to leave the school along with the stud WR, his other 2 running buddies, and Injury Prone 99ovr RB for the draft/graduation. I am left with a kid healing from a broken collarbone, and 2 freshmen at QB (one of them, a Position Change from Corner), A running back by committee scheme as none of my recruits have developed into an every down back, and 3 red shirted Sophomores at WR. Granted I have a really solid Line and TE, there is not a whole lot of talent on the field, or speed for that matter. This season will be a very big struggle to get through.

#1 Ohio State (3-0) - Still riding the high of the national champ win over ECS are mauling their opponents with a harsh power running game. The starting RB from last season left, and the kid that stepped up into the starting lineup is a BEAST. He has enough speed to run outside, and more than enough power to break tackles in the middle. There hasn't been a close game yet, and they look mighty unstoppable at the moment. Especially with a Defense that is averaging 7 sacks a game.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, the insanity of the press has ruined the game for me. It's not so bad on Varsity, but then I put up a billion points. I'm hoping EA patches this, but I kind of doubt it.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Smurf":1yl2uhgu said:
I have got a big question for any one who does Dynasty in NCAA 10...

Have you ever had a transfer request to a player to COME to your school? Every offseason I get one player who isn't happy with his situation and puts in a transfer request (to go to some crap school where he will start), generally i talk him down out of leaving (unless its a CB, The way I can recruit CB's just isnt even fair.) and they stay. Well after the Players leaving screen (Transfer, Pro Draft, Graduation), there is a screen for incoming transfer requests...Has anyone ever gotten one? I think in all my years of playing this game i have NEVER gotten one. Any idea on how to do it? any info would be helpful...

Also, a little update on my Dynasty mode.

I am now about 3 games into my 5th season, and have coached 3 teams with 2 coaches. Here is how it went down:

First a little intro. I control two schools at a time, in different conferences, and play and recruit my way through the season. To keep things from getting overly confusing i use the same playbook for both teams - Run Balanced - Although, with different personnel, different style of play develops from the same set of plays. Oregon was Option + Spread, and my other school Emerald City Smurf (created school) used a Speed running game + spread.

For the record. All championship games between the two teams i control are simmed.

2009:
#1 ECS - SEC Champions - National Champs - Heisman winner, Maxwell winner (both by the QB), and 6 other Trophy's
#3 Oregon - Pac Ten Champs - 1 Trophy, Wasnt invited to the national champ game despite being undefeated.

2010:
#1 ECS - SEC Champs - National Champs - Time Heisman Winner, Maxwell winner (again, both by the QB), and 4 other trophy's
#2 Oregon - Pac Ten Champs - Lost national champ game, 3 trophy's

2011:
#1 ECS -SEC Champs - National Champs - Heisman winner (this time the stud WR beats his QB), Maxwell (QB, 3rd strait), and 5 other trophy's
#22 Oregon - was decimated by three HUGE injuries to star juniors, and the starting QB. The Defense was able to get them ranked by beating the #13 school on the last game of the season, in a 3-0 victory.

After that season at Oregon, and a piss poor recruiting year for the team, i decided to take that coach and jump ship. I landed at Ohio State, the #4 team in the nation.

2012:
#2 ECS - SEC Champs - National Champ game loser - Heisman winner and 3 other trophy's. The 2time Heisman winner QB has graduated and moved on, and his replacement breaks his collarbone in week one on a late hit. Seriously. Got the flag and everything, but now I'm down my starting QB...for the season. So a backup Sophomore comes in, and friggin lights the world on fire. He ends up winning the best QB award, and our stud WR wins his 2nd strait Heisman and the Maxwell.

#1 Ohio State - Big Ten Champs - National Champs - 3 other Trophy's. This coach who has had nothing but problems getting past the ECS in the championship game beats them 48-49...get this, by a blocked field goal...

2013:
#2 ECS (3-0) - The QB who stepped in and led the team to the championship game decides to leave the school along with the stud WR, his other 2 running buddies, and Injury Prone 99ovr RB for the draft/graduation. I am left with a kid healing from a broken collarbone, and 2 freshmen at QB (one of them, a Position Change from Corner), A running back by committee scheme as none of my recruits have developed into an every down back, and 3 red shirted Sophomores at WR. Granted I have a really solid Line and TE, there is not a whole lot of talent on the field, or speed for that matter. This season will be a very big struggle to get through.

#1 Ohio State (3-0) - Still riding the high of the national champ win over ECS are mauling their opponents with a harsh power running game. The starting RB from last season left, and the kid that stepped up into the starting lineup is a BEAST. He has enough speed to run outside, and more than enough power to break tackles in the middle. There hasn't been a close game yet, and they look mighty unstoppable at the moment. Especially with a Defense that is averaging 7 sacks a game.

I have gotten a transfer request before and what usually happens is that you have to play as a smaller school, say Ball State (they were who I was using when I got the request), and have a good year and make a bowl and win said bowl game. After that a kid from a bigger school say Penn state (school my player transferred from) will most likely want to transfer to your school, hopefully. Now this may not be right but this is what happened to me when i actually got a transfer request. Oh and remember that transfer players have to sit out a year...