Madden 11

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1ksqgadc said:
I was reading the review of the game on ign.com and they said that the franchise mode was untouched from last year....which is a little annoying. But Hombre I will play you sometime if you are up for it?

Totally, except I traded my 360 for a PS3 last week...I just realized that may be a problem... :34853_doh:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
ElDoceHombre":1jyj3j8m said:
Blitzer88":1jyj3j8m said:
I was reading the review of the game on ign.com and they said that the franchise mode was untouched from last year....which is a little annoying. But Hombre I will play you sometime if you are up for it?

Totally, except I traded my 360 for a PS3 last week...I just realized that may be a problem... :34853_doh:

Well there goes all our plans...... :x

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man the EA servers are wack! I played over 200 online games in Madden 10 and never had one single DNF....this my very first game I get disconnected and get a DNF......its bullcrap I say!

Smurf

Reaction score
Holy crap our offense is good.

We have a strong line that easily opens up holes for Forsett and Washington, plus they both have enough speed to turn the corner and pull away.

I have Mike Williams at my #1 WR, Tate at #2, and Housh in the slot. It works pretty damn well. Williams doesn't get open a ton, but if he gets a little space he can bring it in. Housh abuses the nickle CB the majority of the time and Tate is CLUTCH. I have gone to him on 3rd down 3 times already and he made an awesome one handed grab on one of them.

Our D Line is beefy too...there is no running room for the RB....getting decent pressure. Terrill, Bryant and Curry (2) had sacks...

Just my first game...but it lookin good...

Cyberhwk

Reaction score
I passed on Madden 2010 after being woefully disappointed in 2009, which I bought, but never played.

As a casual game I have to confess, I'm liking the new Gameflow. I don't always agree with the playcalls but I believe they are customizable which helps. No more runs on 3rd and 8 from the 12 yard line. Only complaint is that, while it does get the game moving, I'll usually end up with only 200-250 yards per game of offense. Maybe bringing the "run off" time down to 10 seconds may help here. I could always go back to the standard playbook.

I love the quick-select so you don't have to cycle through your entire defense like an idiot. Sometimes, though, by the time you realize who's got what assignment it's too late to switch control.

So far I found the offense/defense is pretty balanced. Though I put an absolute whooping on Kansas City in only my second game. Cassel threw 4 pics, 2 of which I ran back for TDs (speaking of which, both times the commentary noted "the offense turned the INT into six points" when the offense didn't take the field so the commentary is still a bit buggy). Run/Pass seems pretty balanced though it felt strange watching Julius Jones being as effective as he was (Jones is starting though Washington is a good 4 points higher than him overall IIRC). One issue so far is punt returns. Forsett has, thus far, had no chance. He had two steps before contact.

One thing I like is FINALLY I've been able to put a hit on the kick returner with the gunner. Whether it was any Madden or NCAA, I was NEVER able to get a piece with the gunner.

I'm a bit disappointed in the game modes. The whole "Personal Trainer" was a laughably poor effort in 2009, I was STUNNED to see it was still in the game. Espesially after how many fun modes the NCAA series has with them. I also haven't seen any "Custom Play" options which was always fun.

Oh yeah...and Golden Tate looks awfully...ermmm...WHITE from what I saw.

Smurf

Reaction score
Hate gameflow...then again I am a hardcore madden player. I know the ins and outs of just about every playbook.

Anyway, couple things I have noticed...

Deon Butler is LETHAL. Usually he is in as the 4th WR in the slot...and my god. He burns him every time. Since its the preseason he goes to the #1 in the second half and doesn't miss a beat. I honestly suggest you try the I-Form WR End around with butler (maybe set it up once with the HB dive). He can take those the distance.

Try moving Mebane to DE on 3rd and short (obvious rushingdowns). End up with the Line of Mebane-Cole-Vickerson-Bryant. As long as Curry and Hawthorne/Hill can catch runs that go to the outside they arent getting anything...

That bring up another question...who is your other OLB? obviously you are running Curry, but is it Hill or Heater on the other side?

I went with Heater with Hill spelling him.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Smurf":xg86feap said:
Hate gameflow...then again I am a hardcore madden player. I know the ins and outs of just about every playbook.

Anyway, couple things I have noticed...

Deon Butler is LETHAL. Usually he is in as the 4th WR in the slot...and my god. He burns him every time. Since its the preseason he goes to the #1 in the second half and doesn't miss a beat. I honestly suggest you try the I-Form WR End around with butler (maybe set it up once with the HB dive). He can take those the distance.

Try moving Mebane to DE on 3rd and short (obvious rushingdowns). End up with the Line of Mebane-Cole-Vickerson-Bryant. As long as Curry and Hawthorne/Hill can catch runs that go to the outside they arent getting anything...

That bring up another question...who is your other OLB? obviously you are running Curry, but is it Hill or Heater on the other side?

I went with Heater with Hill spelling him.

I actually use a 3-4 scheme with that Hawks...allows me to get all the backers on the field. Also Clemons is deadly on passing downs, he can really get around the corner and put pressure on the opposing QB.

Smurf

Reaction score
It hadn't even dawned at me to switch to a 3-4...Our line now has the size to pull that off...

What are you doing with Nick Reed? He just riding the bench, cut, or back up at OLB?

Have you made any big roster adjustments (bring anyone in, trade anyone?)

Also, in my 3rd Pre-season game Deion Branch Went down with a Herniated Disk...out 9 weeks. Leroy also went down with 2 separate, short term injuries. He will be ready week one.

Cyberhwk

Reaction score
Alright I take that back, Gameflow sucks. Ends up choosing the same damn play over and over and you get smoked.

TravTex

Reaction score
I'm still in the 'Up Yours, EA' boat, and am now thinking I'll stay there for a while. Returning NCAA, not buying Madden. Shall spend my time with NBA 2K? and MLB the Show for now.

Sad, as I'm more a football fan.

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
You guys HAVE to do the "Super Bowl XLV" mode... Play as the Hawks against the steelers and win the game.... almost brough tears to my eyes. I might just keep playing it over and over (I won 45-3 BTW)

ElDoceHombre

Reaction score
Honestly I'm really enjoying the game. I liked Madden 10 to a point, and I think they improved the core gameplay of it, and a Madden vet can enjoy it once they turn off all the new features, like game flow, coordinator audio and subs, etc. It will be better in September when they switch back to the old style of audible and hot route calling.

Before I started my franchise I spent a few minutes adjusting the ratings, IE, Forsett, Hass, & MW. I immediately traded away Hill for Lynch. The running game in general is greatly improved, but at first, the passing game was infuriating. I reduced Hass's THP to 82 and raised his TAM to 84 and he was still overthrowing a ton of passes, and was driving me nuts (I was 2/19 for completions, wtf???). Turns out maybe it was just that specific game, cause he was throwing a lot better after that.

Trufant and Earl Thomas are RAW. Trufant is leading the NFL in INTs by week 4 with 3, and Earl Thomas is in the top 10 with 2. The animation in the game is so improved...I am very happy with that since that was one of my biggest complaints about Madden 10. It seems like there is much more variation to the types of animations run during different situations. I managed to float one to Mike Williams on a corner route in the end zone last night, and he turned around and made a backwards diving catch that looked like the one from Butler @ Sunday's scrimmage. I think I may have yelled a little bit lol...

I still use the 4-3, but on nickel/dime/quarter packages, I sub Curry in at LE, and put someone else like LoJack in at DT2. Gets some pretty good heat. In the base 4-3 there is a man-blitz play that rushes Curry off the edge right next to Bryant with man-to-man and Thomas in mid-deep zone, pretty intense, especially if you sub someone like Ellison or Chancellor in at ROLB to increase coverage ability.

Franchise is more or less the same though. In fact, it is exactly the same, down to the menu interface. But I still play and enjoy it for what it is...For the record I thought Madden 08's franchise mode was really fun. I love that stats are corrected. I typically run 7 min quarters with 15 second accelerated clock, and with the improvements in game I am even seeing better stats live, not just simmed. My LB corps all get around 5+ tackles a game each, so when I look at the season stats, they are comparable with other teams. I hated in Madden 10 finishing week 1 and seeing some scrub on the saints rack up 10-20 tackles a week, and then I would be lucky if someone on my defense had 50 by the end of the season.

I can't believe they didn't fix Whitehurst's hair, what with the publicity he's had. He even got his very own national article specifically relating to Madden, cause he had the largest rise in point differential from 57 to 71, so they obviously spent some time on him, but he's still bald, and clean shaven. Really???

Now that Forsett's running with the starters, I'm confident they'll raise his OVR and Hasselbeck's once the season starts...But it still pisses me off.

Smurf

Reaction score
I would call gameplay 98% perfect. Switch the audibles back and it will be perfect. Next year I expect them to dig deeper and make franchise mode more extensive, online, as well as offline. There are hardcore gamers like myself that want to be able to set depthcharts for individual formations, special teams, and not having to worry about subbing in Curry in at DE on passing downs. It would be relatively simple to make it happen.

Franchise mode has been untouched since 2003....well let me correct that, they keep reducing features for it, while pumping out USELESS gameplay features that alienates the hardcore users.

I really enjoy every game I play, but anytime I go to a menu or do anything that ISN'T part of the gameplay mechanics my enjoyment of the game decreases.

Yakimaniac

Reaction score
I would love to join an online franchise, but I really dislike the fact that I pay for the game itself and have to pay even more to use all the features.

Boo!

Anyway, I wish that they would have run the preseason like they used to in franchise mode, where your backups would get better or worse based on how they did in preseason games.

Also, I wish there were the udates in ratings at the six, twelve, and seventeen week mark, and based on what you do in the post season if you make like it did a few years ago too.

Additionlly, I wish that you could use the minigames as a way to determine your superstar's ratings like a few years back.

Oh well...nothing's perfect.

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
Yakimaniac":1rkjah82 said:
I would love to join an online franchise, but I really dislike the fact that I pay for the game itself and have to pay even more to use all the features.

Boo!

Anyway, I wish that they would have run the preseason like they used to in franchise mode, where your backups would get better or worse based on how they did in preseason games.

Also, I wish there were the udates in ratings at the six, twelve, and seventeen week mark, and based on what you do in the post season if you make like it did a few years ago too.

Additionlly, I wish that you could use the minigames as a way to determine your superstar's ratings like a few years back.

I was thinking about that too, it was kinda fun

And what's with the throwback unis? they look exactly the same as the current... do I have to update it or something? Didn't see Mike Williams on the roster either but I see you guys have him...

Smurf

Reaction score
Hawkaholic":mch8xe0w said:
Yakimaniac":mch8xe0w said:

Boo!

I was thinking about that too, it was kinda fun

And what's with the throwback unis? they look exactly the same as the current... do I have to update it or something? Didn't see Mike Williams on the roster either but I see you guys have him...

You're missing a roster update. Got to the online portion, there is a download roster feature...that will get you the most current update...

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
That's what I thought, damn... time to lug the ol' xbox and tv into the computer room for half an hour... stupid clearwire

And is it just me or does Pete look yoked in Madden? You could say he looks jacked and pumped ;)

A

Anonymous

TravTex":l9xvrsp7 said:
I'm still in the 'Up Yours, EA' boat, and am now thinking I'll stay there for a while. Returning NCAA, not buying Madden. Shall spend my time with NBA 2K? and MLB the Show for now.

Sad, as I'm more a football fan.

I agree, they need competition, these exclusive deals suck. Game quality has dropped dramatically. Still I am addicted to NCAA but would love it if 2K sports could get back in the game, they were always a step behind on NCAA football games but at least it kept EA on their toes.

I preferred their NFL game to Madden.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Smurf":zscwro72 said:
It hadn't even dawned at me to switch to a 3-4...Our line now has the size to pull that off...

What are you doing with Nick Reed? He just riding the bench, cut, or back up at OLB?

Have you made any big roster adjustments (bring anyone in, trade anyone?)

Also, in my 3rd Pre-season game Deion Branch Went down with a Herniated Disk...out 9 weeks. Leroy also went down with 2 separate, short term injuries. He will be ready week one.

I usually put Reed in at DE on 3rd and long downs where you know they are more then likely gona pass the ball. I have made a few trades like trading Hass to the eagles for Kevin Kolb. Then I compiled enough FA's and traded those FA's I signed for a first rd pick.