NCAA Football 11 Impressions

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Has anyone decided to pick this game up?

I've been incredibly disappointed with next-gen football games. Last year's Madden was the "best" but I haven't played it since mid-season.

I've avoided all NCAA games because they just played terrible and the dynasty mode was sub-par compared to the Xbox/PS2 versions.

That being said, the reviews for 11 are pretty damn good. Some places (IGN, Gametrailers, PastaPadre) have said it's the best next-gen football game out there. I played the demo and thoroughly enjoyed it... trying to hold-out for NCAA '12 with the new conference alignments.

A

Anonymous

I'll probably pick it up, buy it every year, cash is a tad tight right now though.

I wish they would expand the rosters from 70 to 85, seems simple and since they claim realism, why not do so with rosters?

I always hate cutting all my depth every offseason.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I know Kyle got it and he said it's pretty good so far.

How's the dynasty mode?

Snohomie

Reaction score
Summer classes are interfering with my ability to play NCAA 2011, so I'm only one game into my dynasty. Can't run the read-option to save my life at this point, even when I make the "right" decision there's a decent chance I'm fighting to get back to the LOS.

FWIW, I thought NCAA and Madden '10 were crap. I'm an offline player, primarily, though if enough PS3 users get it I'd be down to do an online dynasty, I hear they've made big changes there.

Playing a dynasty with UNC, since I can't run the UO bread-and-butter play. Some thoughts:

1.) Passing and running are way different than in years past, and that is probably a good thing. Shorter passes are a little tough for me to complete right now, but that could be timing. Deep passes are MUCH easier to complete, which I think was necessary (I hated 88 speed CBs... or LBs... running stride for stride with 97 speed WRs deep on AA) but it might be too easy. My next game I plan to air it out long early and see if the defense adjusts. I had a 3 TD lead when I simmed the game, and while most of the scores came running the passing game got me there.

Running is definitely different. Jukes and the like are much harder to pull off than before, but it's way easier to lean one way and get though a hole that would normally sink you. I haven't been running over people much, but I haven't properly played as a big RB yet either. I could see Wisconsin (John Clay) being a ton of fun.

2.) Some of these ratings are just horrendous. It might be the first time a game has ever shortchanged the Heisman/MVP of a league, but Mark Ingram really took it in the shorts. My starting RB for UNC has 82 speed but 90 agi and acc - I don't think Draughns deserves to be that slow, but okay. My backup RB has 87 speed but 78 acc and agi, and my other RB (my starter, since 82 speed is too slow for a 205lb back) has 95 speed but 80-something agi and 80 acc. (all numbers are estimates) That seems off. Plus, they made Locker pretty slow (74 speed?) when I think he'll run a 4.5 or 4.6 this combine.

3.) Defensively, you have to play your lanes with LBs. I normally excel chasing down runs to the opposite field, but when I played OrSU, Jacquizz was always cutting back inside. I like the realism, but it didn't get him very far most of the time. The fluidity of the game is a huge improvement, though I kind of miss turbo (and still find myself using it half the time by habit, especially since NBA 2k10 uses the same button for turbo).

Looks like the DL might dominate too much, but then again I have the top junior DE and the top senior DT on my line, and the other guys are pretty darn good too, so I am not sure how that works. I was sacked 4 times on 32 passes, a little high since I was playing the short passing game but I'm okay with that. (Played against Illinois)

4.) It was really cool watching my WR try to tip-toe the end zone to bring down a pass I threw just out of his grasp. Sideline catches and stuff will be awesome.

5.) I make a lot of mistakes play-calling. They revamped the whole system and it's a little less convenient for "advanced" players like myself. But I don't think it's bad, just really different. I've done some dumb things just on instinct, though, like calling an 82 yard field goal on 4th-and-inches.

Smurf

Reaction score
its a different game for sure. Hate the playcalling so far...or at least, havent gotten use to it.

The tackling animations are very smooth, but the running just doesnt look right to me..

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Buckled under the pressure and I picked this game up.

So far I'm digging it. I've played about 5 games with different teams each time. I'm finding that good running teams block much better, teams that run a spread or pass-oriented offense tend to lose their defender quickly so running gets pretty dicey at times.

Haven't cracked Dynasty mode yet, but it's looking pretty sweet so far. Definitely the best football game I've played on next-gen consoles.

If you want the rosters with the names of each player, check this out. (PS3 Only)

To get the rosters: From the NCAA 11 menu go to Team Management – Roster Share – Download Roster – Download Roster. Then search the PSN name gamingtailgate.
PastaPadre Link

It's super easy and you don't have to become this guys friend, just search his name and it'll download a roster with all the correct names. No attributes have been adjusted.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
So in my frenzy, I decided to build my alma maters; my high school football team and my university football team (which was shut down due to budgets). If you're interested in them (it's Rotak's alma mater too); just author search under my username.

wwux.jpg

I'm happy with how they turned out, wish there were a little more options to play with but I'm taking my university team into the WAC and seeing how they fare.

Smurf

Reaction score
sammyc521":22f6v76j said:
So in my frenzy, I decided to build my alma maters; my high school football team and my university football team (which was shut down due to budgets). If you're interested in them (it's Rotak's alma mater too); just author search under my username.

wwux.jpg

I'm happy with how they turned out, wish there were a little more options to play with but I'm taking my university team into the WAC and seeing how they fare.

Nice!

I made one too, a fake school. Emerald City Smurfs. Last game i put them in the SEC, this time I put them in the ACC (also play as the Ducks in the Pac-10).

Its a good game, another thing I have noticed...it is REALLY hard to get good returns on any kicks. Rediculous. I think my best return through 10 games is that of 40-50 yards (no TD). In the last edition I would have taken it to the house 70+ yards twice by now.

It is also pretty easy to get safeties when the opposing team is within the 5 yard line. Have pinned them back there a total of 7 times thus far and have 3 safeties and a pick 6.

nategreat

Reaction score
I haven't bought a college game since 08', but I made sure I went out and picked this one up after reading some of the reviews for it. I love it! Nice and responsive, I'm really loving the running game on here- blocking is very well done, even compared to Madden 10.

Teambuilder is awesome, I created my high school as well. Haven't really tried online yet, but that's because my connection isn't the best right now. However, I've heard good things about it.

Also, I downloaded a roster file that has all of the names in the game, so no more HB #32 etc. I highly recommend doing this, it makes it much better... all credit goes to the user "FAIRDALE KINGS" ..... in order to download it, just go to the part where you can download rosters, and put in his user name, as noted.

A

Anonymous

I started my create-a-school dynasty, my team plays in the Cowboys stadium. Its sick on the game.

Not sure I like the in game interface as much as past editions but I love the new menu and how the game plays.

Waiting on my buddy to get a copy so we can start our online dynasty (thinking we are going to do Duke and Wake Forest this year).

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Just finished out my first year with the Western Washington University Vikings in Western Athletic Conference. Went 11-1 (won the Emerald City Bowl; was really hoping for an at-large big but it went to Boise State [who I beat] and Utah).

Played 9 games and simmed the rest. Lost my first simmed game to WAC Rival the Nevada Wolfpack. I won the WAC because I played an 8-game conference schedule so my one extra win over Boise State game my the conference title.

I recruited throughout the year and I only went after 3-star recruits that were heavily interested in my team. I got one 4-star recruit to help my line and lost out on a few other 4-star recruits that I targeted. Overall I signed 21 3-star recruits that helped me finish with the 24th best recruiting class.

Hitting the off-season and I found out that even though I finished the season ranked #9, I am no where near the top-25 even though that's one of my objectives.

A

Anonymous

Seriously, you signed 21 recruits during the season, wow. I have never signed more than about 8 in any version of the game (usually fill out with 25 after the offseason though). 21 is impressive, way to target people.

I am still frustrated that they won't give us 80 roster spots.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I actually signed 25 recruits during the season; 1 4-star, 21 3-star, 2 2-star & 1 1-star recruits.

Yeah... I was actually surprised I used up all my scholarships. Made it so I could sim 5 weeks of the off-season.

I'm really digging the recruiting interface for this version.

Smurf

Reaction score
I am 4 weeks into the season. I play as Florida, Oregon and my created school (Emerald City Smurfs). After 4 weeks, Oregon is the only team that has recruits signed, have 4 of them thus far. 1 - 5 star, 2 - 4 star and a 3 star. Pretty good thus far. Trying different recruiting strategies.

Oregon I am going after players that want to play for me.

Florida I am going after the best, only players in the top 150, making them all 4 or 5 star recruits.

ECS I am going after needs only. The team has needs at 5 or 6 positions, so trying to get those filled before branching out.

A

Anonymous

When I play I only recruit athletes at least 1 star better than my school (or just 4/5 star guys once I get really good with the occasional 3 star at a need position) during the season then in the offseason go for guys to fill out the class. That has always been my strategy, haven't gotten into it much this year yet.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Started up my year 2 of my Western Vikings Dynasty. We got absolutely no love from the Coaches or Media poll. We are a 4-star program ranked 28th in pre-season rankings.

I alter my schedule so I face a pretty-good non-conference schedule. #2 Ohio State, Duke (cupcake), UTEP (Rival) and #25 Notre Dame (at the end of the year to mess with their bowl chances).

First game of the year is Ohio State coming to Bellingham. The game does not go according to plan as the Buckeyes march down the field...and get intercepted!!!! After long, grind-it-out drives the Vikings take a commanding lead and Ohio is stuck playing catch-up. My pre-season All-American/All-WAC DE tears up the O-line for key sacks on 3rd down and I prevail with a shut-out....and still get no love the following week in the polls.

Only after I face Duke, who gave me more trouble with their no-huddle offense, do I finally break the top-25.

Recruiting is going well as I've gotten more 4-stars interested in my school but a lot of them favor Western as their 4-6th school. Not getting the love I thought I would; I'm actually competing really heavily with Boise State and they're ahead of me on a few key recruits right now. So far I've only gotten 1 commit in the first 3 weeks. Hoping with 15 guys coming in for a visit in week 5 will cure my ails.

Three games in and I've only moved up to #23 in the rankings.